Compet game (HTML5)

giuly_adm

Elite
Society
Synergen
Giuliano adm Noooo
I am not much experienced in HTML5 browser games, but I have a doubt about these... are there success games ONLY in HTML5 version?

Maybe anyone might share few names about games that made a big success without being known in more common platforms like consoles or mobile devices (iPhone/iPad or Android based)?

Thanks
Giuliano

In theory, html5 is browser and device independent. So you will be able to play on phone, tablet, pc.

In theory, html5 is browser and device independent. So you will be able to play on phone, tablet, pc.

This is clear ;)

when I talk about iPad/Android I refer to games available in AppStore and similars, the question still remains.

As long as they advertise right it will succeed :)

Unless it's crappy

How do you handle "in-app" purchases with a HTML5 based app?
One HUGE advantage with a native based app I guess is the in-app purchase abilities.
But maybe you can do one of them native apps bundled with a HTML5 app inside and still have in-app purchase...

One HUGE advantage with a native based app I guess is the in-app purchase abilities.
But maybe you can do one of them native apps bundled with a HTML5 app inside and still have in-app purchase...

I am also worried if MA know how to make in-app purchases

The same way you handle in-app purchases in any browser based game. Not seeing the problem here.

Of course its not a problem but its one extra step for the user to spend his money if its a stand alone game and not a game bound to an existing payment platform like Apple's app store etc.

Uhh... exactly the same way they handle the EU web shop right now? You know, the one where you can buy a starter kit ?

Of course its not a problem but its one extra step for the user to spend his money if its a stand alone game and not a game bound to an existing payment platform like Apple's app store etc.

It doesn't have to be. But I mostly find that micro transaction phone based games have in game currency with various names that are purchased and then are spent in the game shop. And they seem to do ok.

HTML5 doesn't matter. How you pay doesn't matter. Is it something fun that people will want to pay for? That matters. And will it really draw people across into EU proper? That matters.

Is there some info that ComPet will be HTML5 app or is it just your assumption?
It would be great if they went that route instead EVIL Flash....

HTML5 +CSS3 +JavaScript can produce very sophisticated products.... let's hope they go that route.

HTML5 doesn't matter. How you pay doesn't matter. Is it something fun that people will want to pay for? That matters. And will it really draw people across into EU proper? That matters.

I totally agree about this!

As I'm working in the mobile games industry and also has considered HTML5 apps and read up on the subject here are some answers.

You can do them still using for example paypal or similar other services so that's not a real problem.

I am not much experienced in HTML5 browser games, but I have a doubt about these... are there success games ONLY in HTML5 version?

Maybe anyone might share few names about games that made a big success without being known in more common platforms like consoles or mobile devices (iPhone/iPad or Android based)?

Thanks
Giuliano

Not any really big ones to my knowledge.

Is there some info that ComPet will be HTML5 app or is it just your assumption?
It would be great if they went that route instead EVIL Flash....

HTML5 +CSS3 +JavaScript can produce very sophisticated products.... let's hope they go that route.

I sure hope they are not going that way for several reasons. HTML5 is not yet ready to be used for games, it's still unoptimized (sure depends a bit on what you are doing with it) but it's still not an industry standard and as someone said retention and getting people to notice the game is going to be hard and you will compete with all other web based games.
Almost everyone in the industry still says native is the way to go, or to use some game engine that can produce native games.

HTML5 is a modern choice toward flash, let's hope they do wonders with it.
However talking about web games, my wife used to play shakes&fidget, it's a flash game FTP/P2W which had many users if i remeber. But she gave up when she figured out that she wouldn't had fun and the mental ability to " compet" against the 90% freeloaders bots userbase. I wish MA take care of that. I may show her the game when it's out, on the other hand, i won't hold my breath and won't buy compet deeds.

Flash is dying, HTML5 is the right way to go for now imo, Even the new IE finally supports HTML5 features. Lots of people don't want to or can't download things like flash, install java, Unity, or some random game client. Something that runs on all browsers immediately eliminates one more hurdle from people trying it out.

HTML5 is not yet ready to be used for games, it's still unoptimized (sure depends a bit on what you are doing with it) but it's still not an industry standard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJg_BmY9-8o

And something a friend made last year for Assembly 2013 4K competition (4K as in 4 kilobytes max size allowed, including music):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFjReMd2us

Even though i do think they are gonna be using webGL, here's something without it:
http://threejs.org/ (WebGL can be used in this, it has an option for it to render it via SVG or webGL)
http://projects.mariusgundersen.net/Origami3D/examples/

When i first read about ComPet, i presumed it was going to be an App Store game. And i thought....Awesome. Excellent way to make it work.

Now i understand it is going to be a webbrowser game. I cannot help but think this is now gauranteed to fail.

EVERYONE i know, do not use their phones/tablets to play browser based games. It is pretty much all from the App store.

That is the way gaming is going for the vast majority of the public.

So now knowing (I probably didnt read it right before) that it is not an app, i will not be buying any deeds, as i see it as a guaranteed failure. MA's ability to advertise is none existant in the 9 years i have been playing.

So they will not spend money on advertising this. Make the app, let it advertise itself!

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: i reserve the right to be completely and utterly wrong about browser games. But my opinion will be hard pushed to change ;)

Last edited:
Flash is dying, HTML5 is the right way to go for now imo, Even the new IE finally supports HTML5 features. Lots of people don't want to or can't download things like flash, install java, Unity, or some random game client. Something that runs on all browsers immediately eliminates one more hurdle from people trying it out.

Well Flash is dead on mobile, it was never enabled on IOS and Adobe dropped Android support years ago. A lot of the sites that used to use flash switched to java instead.

And the new version of Android has changed the way apps install, it used to be interpreted but now when you install an app it compiles it to native.

There's nothing stopping them advertising it in the app stores, I've seen plenty of apps that run in browsers which only install a link.

The one problem with browser based is the amount of bandwidth it's going to use. An installed app has all it's data locally and just syncs up with the servers when it needs to or keeps it's data usage to a minimum. The majority of these games are played on mobile phones if the app eats all the data usage then it's going to get dumped pretty quick. The Simpsons Tapped Out uses 463Mb of storage on my phone. But even if it was only a few Mb at a time it won't take long to max out someones contract.

But one of their current problems appear to be getting a consensus on the functional link to EU, one saying it doesn't have any and another saying it does.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJg_BmY9-8o

And something a friend made last year for Assembly 2013 4K competition (4K as in 4 kilobytes max size allowed, including music):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFjReMd2us

Even though i do think they are gonna be using webGL, here's something without it:
http://threejs.org/ (WebGL can be used in this, it has an option for it to render it via SVG or webGL)
http://projects.mariusgundersen.net/Origami3D/examples/

Yep, but i'm still right in that it's still not optimized and a viable platform to use for most games, the experts say maybe in 1-2 years it will be ready.

When i first read about ComPet, i presumed it was going to be an App Store game. And i thought....Awesome. Excellent way to make it work.

Now i understand it is going to be a webbrowser game. I cannot help but think this is now gauranteed to fail.

EVERYONE i know, do not use their phones/tablets to play browser based games. It is pretty much all from the App store.

That is the way gaming is going for the vast majority of the public.

So now knowing (I probably didnt read it right before) that it is not an app, i will not be buying any deeds, as i see it as a guaranteed failure. MA's ability to advertise is none existant in the 9 years i have been playing.

So they will not spend money on advertising this. Make the app, let it advertise itself!

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: i reserve the right to be completely and utterly wrong about browser games. But my opinion will be hard pushed to change ;)

Totally agree with you there.

Back