When with the equip fee be removed from clothes?

You're not getting an answer on this because without the equip fee currently the clothes produce no decay. Thus they make MA no money existing.

Clothing would need to have a feature added that produced decay before this could be removed.

Asking it to be removed, but yet offering no methodology for the publisher to make money off of their existence is asking for something for free.

That is unreasonable.

Hence the question is unreasonable.

Hence why you do not get your answer.

I hope this clarifies the problem, however I'm not going to fool myself into thinking it does. You'll just call me a name or try to turn the argument away from the obvious somehow into some obscure hair splitting contest, and continue your quest.
there actually is a way that clothes generate MA money, actually more money, without the clothing equip fee
it is called crafting
currently clothes are crafted indeed, but as already mentioned, back in the days, the markup was generally higher and we had way more tailors going for it (that were the days when generic leather was something around 300 or 400% and moli teeth around 800% or so)

in those days, way more clothes were crafted, as such way more materials were destroyed in the process, which were gathered by hunters and miners before and bought by crafters
which is an actually healthy crafting cycle, resources are generated, sold, used up for products and sold

since MA had always been a bit restrictive in showing actual and proper numbers (i could comment on that more, but i will skip it, else id bring this offtopic), i could bet that if you would have just say 10 more tailors going for more skilling you could easily generate more money for MA than they would get just with clothing decay

along those lines, as i mentioned earlier, remove the nonsense requirement of having unL clothes at full tt to make them look the best
which is the usual MA tactic over the years tho
implement one short sighted quick big money grab (ppl repairing the clothes they like most, ignoring the rest of their wardrobe)
while totally ignoring/destroying some sort of repeated income (tailors using resources up constantly and selling their clothes to ppl, way more clothes, cause they could afford like 10 clothing pieces at low tt, and thus the tailors could sell more, where they can just afford 1 now-and it wastes more resources to craft 10 items than 1, but that just as sidenote)
so all in all, the change of repairing to max plus the equip fee brought basically nothing
ppl just repaired the clothes they liked the most and sold their others off to gain funds back, prolly to the point where the total tt of clothes they owned was increased indeed, but i doubt everyone repaired all their clothes to fully, instead:
-->the ppl who bought those didnt have to buy new ones (tailor sad), just repair those and not a new pair (no real gain, if person 1 had repaired it or person 2 doesnt matter for MA much)
-->with less clothes per person less need to change. less use of decay

the clothing decay in itself is pointless as well
granted, i don't play much anymore myself since 2 years, but since clothing decay came to today, i maybe generated 2 ped in clothey decay total, simply cause i didn't bother to change clothes much anymore
more crafters taking resources from the system tho...

but ah well :)

there actually is a way that clothes generate MA money, actually more money, without the clothing equip fee
it is called crafting

By this logic, mining amps also should not decay. Since, you know, we have alot of people crafting those, too.

Yeah, I know there used to be alot of tailors in-game. I'd love to see that come back. Making clothing permanent is not the answer. The answer is by allowing tailors to modify existing clothing with boosts to either protection, or with other effects that cause the clothing to decay with use.

With 1 modification per piece of clothing, folks will want their suits to match, and they will have different outfits to improve overall eco. Tailors will improve their skills so that they can create different boosts, and they can charge a premium for being able to supply rare boosts.

Now change clothes so that they look the same regardless of condition, because its the bonuses that cause decay, not the look.

Provided when the buff is added the clothing becomes L before that they should be UL and any buff is proportional to the TT value.

You're not getting an answer on this because without the equip fee currently the clothes produce no decay. Thus they make MA no money existing.

Clothing would need to have a feature added that produced decay before this could be removed.

Asking it to be removed, but yet offering no methodology for the publisher to make money off of their existence is asking for something for free.

That is unreasonable.

Hence the question is unreasonable.

Hence why you do not get your answer.

I hope this clarifies the problem <removed>

You're missing the main point that they announced that they were going to remove the fee. It was an outright statement to the player base. I'm looking for them to say when, or admit that they've changed their mind and that they're not planning on removing the fee after all. It's a direct and pretty simple question.

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
From the 2014 state of the universe address

Cost to Play & Balancing
Continuing with the improvements made in 2013, MindArk plans to further improve average returns for many activities. One example would be the removal of the clothing equip fee in an upcoming platform release.

We hoped it would happen so maybe we read too much into it I think it's a case they were illustrating a point rather than actually going to go ahead with it and someone in the office vetoed it after seeing how much income it would cost them.

Around the time of it's introduction they were getting ready for CE2, we'd already had some upgrades to avatars in readiness, so my guess is they wanted to build up the war chest and saw it as an easy way to get some income that couldn't easily be removed as it's a static item it.

So we got the condition look on clothing and the 1pec fee as the excuse behind it. A 1 pec fee would make jack shit difference to me in the big scheme of things as clothing serves no purpose in game other than to personalise our avatars but a 1000ped item of clothing is $100 in MA's bank account that can't get easily removed without it's destruction via the tt. Assuming 3% is the limit you'd need to remove and re-equip 97000 times before it hit it - even going it once a second it would take 27 hours.

As Alice has said it also removed a good way to sell a hefty portion of the hunting loot. If instead they'd expanded on tailoring and made better cheaper clothing that looked good on top of armor then the EU economy would probably be in a better state and we wouldn't have felt the need for the explosive ammo BP to try and get people crafting.

If they wanted to improve EU for the players doing something like that wasn't it even though many were fully behind it at the time as they thought it would go towards loot and be more realistic. As many of us use/d EU as a way to escape real life for a while :(

As a side note the clothing I bought in vu8-9 remains in storage since the condition and equipping fee's introduction with the exception of a hat.

Last edited:
State of the Universe Address 2014

Cost to Play & Balancing

Continuing with the improvements made in 2013, MindArk plans to further improve average returns for many activities. One example would be the removal of the clothing equip fee in an upcoming platform release.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...ess-2014&highlight=state+of+the+universe+2014

please make this happen. Not only its annoying and very bad for the clothing crafting and market, its also bugged.

If i use some armor my coat is removed, shoes are removed, usually hats are removed

The new clothing like bakery pleat from toulan unequip with every kind of armor.

Thats giving us unfair cost and for example, i never wear a hat because of it. i dont mind paying if i wanna change my clothes, i really mind that i have to pay for clothes i already equipped because i use armor.

the need for decay mentioned by several people in this thread is completely non important. It also worked with armor. and well, some people have to bitch about everything.

Please let us know what the status is, its 1.5 years ago that its mentioned and nothing about it in sotu 2015

Too be honest, certain clothes look better decayed.

Too me, it's just another level of customization.

Did I already say this:
Can´t care less about 1 pec equip decay.

Indeed. This thread is just... wow. The level of penny pinching going on here is mind boggling. 1/10 of one cent. This person is obsessing over 1/10 of one cent.

I don't have a problem with clothes decaying a small amount. I think, at a push, the best thing would be to merely reduce the amount of decay each time clothes are put on, making (L) items last a little longer.

The (L) items need to decay, if they don't decay, there is not point to them being (L). It is realistic that clothes eventually become unfit for wearing, and it is also important that there is a point to crafting more (L) items, thus keeping that part of the Entropian economy afloat.

Indeed. This thread is just... wow. The level of penny pinching going on here is mind boggling. 1/10 of one cent. This person is obsessing over 1/10 of one cent.

I think it is more about the principle.

I think it is more about the principle.

And the argument against is not? We pay for this service. 1/10 of 1 cent is not exactly an earth shattering sum to be asked to pay for the voluntary act of donning a piece of clothing for your avatar, or the voluntary act of changing said clothes.

I like the people who make my game to actually get compensated for their work. That requires money coming into the system. This is a way that happens.

The principle I am operating on is the programmers here work hard and put up with alot to bring us this product, and I am of the firm belief that people should get paid for their work. It is unethical given that belief I hold to think that any particular service provided on this platform should be 100% free. This includes playing dress up.

I don't have a problem with clothes decaying a small amount. I think, at a push, the best thing would be to merely reduce the amount of decay each time clothes are put on, making (L) items last a little longer.

The (L) items need to decay, if they don't decay, there is not point to them being (L). It is realistic that clothes eventually become unfit for wearing, and it is also important that there is a point to crafting more (L) items, thus keeping that part of the Entropian economy afloat.

Just increase the TT value of the clothes, then there will be more residue used to craft it to full TT and cloth can be longer worn.

Would be healthy for the economy :)

It would be nice if fee went away as hub might become more busy... went up and down from there hundreds of times while on cyrene.... unequpped every time I went down there. Annoying as hell

The fee makes people feeling uneasy to change cloths and owning different sets of clothing.

I have nothing against fees and mindark being paid for their services but the equip fee should go I'm sure they can find other ways to squeeze penny's where people don't mind. Maybe an slowly decaying premium attachment for armor that make it invisible, so you can show off your style while hunting for a few pec/day.

And the argument against is not? We pay for this service. 1/10 of 1 cent is not exactly an earth shattering sum to be asked to pay for the voluntary act of donning a piece of clothing for your avatar, or the voluntary act of changing said clothes.

I like the people who make my game to actually get compensated for their work. That requires money coming into the system. This is a way that happens.

The principle I am operating on is the programmers here work hard and put up with alot to bring us this product, and I am of the firm belief that people should get paid for their work. It is unethical given that belief I hold to think that any particular service provided on this platform should be 100% free. This includes playing dress up.

Equipping was Always free. And then suddenly it was not. The excuse given was that they wanted to reduce use of it to reduce server strain. This argument has no more value (if it ever had) as we have a fully new server setup. Apart from that, if MA says they are dropping it (with the argument much similar to what I just said)...then they must drop it. And not tomorrow or next year. But now.

IIRC, a person on this forum's avatar pic is him wearing his decayed skull mask.

One of my two outfits is shorts and a decayed Greece tunic.

MA went to all the trouble to design the decay look and action for clothing. We should keep it.

They need to give clothes a small armor value and have it decay like regular armor. That way they will get there fees from clothes and they make the market move.

Armor fee was removed long time ago, long before that announcement.

state of the universe 2014

" MindArk implemented several changes and features that helped to reduce the overall cost to participate in Entropia Universe".......

It seems that the game is more expensive then ever.

Thats whay i stop to depo 4 months ago.

this thread's been here almost a year with no response from the Devs, and clothes still decay! :ahh:

I have heard through the grapevine that there were people constantly removing/adding clothing to cause lag on MA's servers. No idea how true that is, but I can't see much other reason for such a meaningless fee.

I have heard through the grapevine that there were people constantly removing/adding clothing to cause lag on MA's servers. No idea how true that is, but I can't see much other reason for such a meaningless fee.

Everybody needs a hobby....

Just stop taking ur clothes off :p

Yes ... but then equipping armour should not automatically remove any clothes (shoes, sunglasses..) :wise:

Too be honest, certain clothes look better decayed.

Too me, it's just another level of customization.

Yeah have done that too, unequipp/equipp your OJs until they are nearly destroyed and give them a totally different look :cool:

With too high tt clothes this is a pain in the ass though :(

I still think this thread is arguing over fractions of a penny and expecting for free something from a business entity that exists to make money.

In other words, if we want clothing to be maintained, we should expect for clothing to cost something.

The level of maintenance we receive is likely directly proportional to the amount we pay into the system for the item.

Sadly I remember the rhetoric from the players at the time saying it was more realistic and they loved the idea, look hard enough and you might even find the threads on the subject here. But yeah the original excuse from MA was to dissuade players from switching clothes to cause other players to lag or crash especially in pvp areas.

Hard to believe that after changing engine, the server upgrades and extra infrastructure we've still got the same issue.

True it's arguing over a few pennies but it's really become a mater of principle now, don't say things they have no real intention of following through on. I can really bloody minded some times which is why my avatar hasn't worn clothing since the original change except for armour and a hat and that's because they can be repaired without removal.

But remember this, it was a campaign on the forums that eventually talked MA into removing the shop and apartment maintenance fees that many players always said wouldn't happen and would tell people to stop.

Last edited:

Thats great! and Classic MA!

"Why should we punish the exploiters, when we can gain so much more from everyone else"

But remember this, it was a campaign on the forums that eventually talked MA into removing the shop and apartment maintenance fees that many players always said wouldn't happen and would tell people to stop.

I dont remember it being a campaign, but the armor equip fee was removed some time ago, I'm not sure why the clothing one hasnt been removed yet.

I dont remember it being a campaign, but the armor equip fee was removed some time ago, I'm not sure why the clothing one hasnt been removed yet.

Answer probably will come from RINGS:

...Additional deterioration may be implemented in a future Version Update, if systems for time-based deterioration are implemented.

Back