Entropedia currently down due to database

The problem IS coming from the hosting location, PCF and entropedia are not hosted on the same server. The person he chose to let administer ( me ) is just working on a new rewrite, on a new server. and fix current bugs on the current site.

Which would stop this from happening,

Not many people know how the site looks like on the backend, nor the server that Entropedia.info is currently running on.

So before saying that the site is now running worse because i took over is just wrong.

Hey man. Don't listen to those naysayers. I believe you can get it running better. I'm just glad to hear you guys are working on correcting it. Thank you for working on correcting the issue!

Just want to let everyone know that I am working on getting Entropedia back online ASAP.

Good to know. If there's something I can do to help please PM me. I know some Java, C, and HTML :D

Last edited:
Good to know. If there's something I can do to help please PM me. I know some Java, C, and HTML :D

Pretty sure entropedia is mostly done in php and mysql.

Pretty sure entropedia is mostly done in php and mysql.

Just for clarification, Witte said Entropedia "is written in ASP.NET C# and uses a MySQL server for data storing".

I could help for sure. PM if required.

Funny but Stackoverflow and plenty of huge sites run on ASP.NET and C# ;)

MacGuyver made a defibrillator out of a car battery and two wax candles.

MacGuyver made a defibrillator out of a car battery and two wax candles.

pfff...big deal,the A-team made an armored tank out of an rusty shoppingcart +some cartboardboxes

Why would one use mysql with asp.net anyway?

mysql is bum (doesn't break if you try to insert null into strings and many other huge issues), postgresql is the way to go for free (plus it really is free unlike mysql). MS SQL server is the way to go for better support from asp.net :p

Why would one use mysql with asp.net anyway?

mysql is bum (doesn't break if you try to insert null into strings and many other huge issues), postgresql is the way to go for free (plus it really is free unlike mysql). MS SQL server is the way to go for better support from asp.net :p

Except the fact that mysql has much better performance and hosting compatibility. Postgre should only be used when data integrity is at the top of the priority list, atleast for web development.

Why would anyone use ASP in the first place is what I dont get. ASP sucks ass compared to PHP, it's such a problematic whore of a language.

php+mysql, better, free, opensource, gigantic community, support, documentation and standards. That's the way to go :)

Except the fact that mysql has much better performance and hosting compatibility. Postgre should only be used when data integrity is at the top of the priority list, atleast for web development.

Why would anyone use ASP in the first place is what I dont get. ASP sucks ass compared to PHP, it's such a problematic whore of a language.

php+mysql, better, free, opensource, gigantic community, support, documentation and standards. That's the way to go :)

And all the players said amen.

I agree, which is why all of my servers are LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Php). However, Entropedia was created using ASP, and thus requires a Windows host (without resorting to an esoteric workaround to run .NET on Linux).

The current Entropedia outage is due to failed and corrupted Windows Server updates, causing the VPS to become completely unresponsive and unreachable. (For comparison, the server that hosts PCF (Linux/CentOS) has only been rebooted 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years, and has never had a catastrophic failure that seems to happen once a twice a year with Windows servers).

The good news is that a couple of hours ago I was able to finally gain access the server and secure all of the Entropedia website data and content in a backup on one of my other servers.

Hopefully the site will be back up in a couple of hours, once a fresh Windows Server OS is installed on the VPS and the Entropedia website data is restored.

Thanks for your patience.

I agree, which is why all of my servers are LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Php). However, Entropedia was originally created in ASP, and thus requires a Windows host (without resorting to an esoteric workaround to run .NET on Linux).

The current Entropedia outage is due to failed and corrupted Windows Server updates, causing the VPS to become completely unresponsive and unreachable.

The good news is that a couple of hours ago I was able to finally gain access the server and secure all of the Entropedia website data and content in a backup on one of my other servers.

Hopefully the site will be back up in a couple of hours, once a fresh Windows Server OS is installed on the VPS and the Entropedia website data is restored.

Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for your work :)

I agree, which is why all of my servers are LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Php). However, Entropedia was created using ASP, and thus requires a Windows host (without resorting to an esoteric workaround to run .NET on Linux).

The current Entropedia outage is due to failed and corrupted Windows Server updates, causing the VPS to become completely unresponsive and unreachable. (For comparison, the server that hosts PCF (Linux/CentOS) has only been rebooted 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years, and has never had a catastrophic failure that seems to happen once a twice a year with Windows servers).

Surely it is possible to run the database on a second server, one that is not running on Windows? Change of connection string in Entropia codebase shouldn't be that hard?

Entropedia is getting a rewrite.

Once i have more time to posts i will go in further details regarding the technologies used,

I said in a previous thread, Entropedia will have an API, to give a public access to the communities data.

I took over this project so we can get a brand new entropedia which is long due.

I won't spend too much time explaining myself until i have delivered my work and from there we can discuss.

I'm hoping entropedia should be back up today, working with 711 on that. and will keep you updated.

Thank 711 for his hard work getting Entropedia back up, i could not help since i do not host the server.

The new server for Entropedia will be a LINUX server, and i'm working on data persistence with failovers on multiple data center in case one server go down, entropedia will keep working.

Surely it is possible to run the database on a second server, one that is not running on Windows? Change of connection string in Entropia codebase shouldn't be that hard?

There is no problem with the Entropedia website or database.

The cause of the current outage is Windows Server, not MySQL.

In any case, MySQL runs perfectly fine on Windows.

Thank 711 for his hard work getting Entropedia back up, i could not help since i do not host the server.

The new server for Entropedia will be a LINUX server, and i'm working on data persistence with failovers on multiple data center in case one server go down, entropedia will keep working.

Thank you 711 and Siniko!!

This is what I get when go to http://www.entropiawiki.com/

Did I miss something :scratch2:

That means that Windows Server has been successfully reinstalled, and we are one step closer to having entropedia back. Thanks to both 711 and Siniko who seem to be getting mostly grief so far...

I can't live without entropedia, thanks for trying to get it working again!!

That means that Windows Server has been successfully reinstalled, and we are one step closer to having entropedia back. Thanks to both 711 and Siniko who seem to be getting mostly grief so far...

Indeed, that page is the default Windows IIS home page.

I have ordered a brand new server to host Entropedia, and copied the website data and content over from backups.

Siniko is in the process of configuring the Entropedia website on the new host, hopefully very soon.

Indeed, that page is the default Windows IIS home page.

I have ordered a brand new server to host Entropedia, and copied the website data and content over from backups.

Siniko is in the process of configuring the Entropedia website on the new host, hopefully very soon.

Thank you 711 and Siniko for working on bringing up the site again. I complain a lot about the site but i do appreciate the work you are doing, thank you both.

Best regards
Zweshi

So excited to see the website come back up, i particularly love updating loot drops and I try to encourage a lot of people to do it as well.

If you're reading this and like hunting or crafting and don't update loots you should do it, it's a lot of fun and is helpful for everyone !

omg entropedia is back ! :dunce:

The front page is up, not all the rest though. A little patience required yet:)

I appreciate everyone's effort in getting it restored... please forgive my frustration with the situation.

Man, i was using armor adviser just now, and then she crashed again. haha
A beacon of light tho!

Alright people, i finally managed to get Entropedia back up.

I think i'm going to call it a night. 5 am here.

Sorry for the downtime and everyone give 711 a big thanks.

Alright people, i finally managed to get Entropedia back up.

I think i'm going to call it a night. 5 am here.

Sorry for the downtime and everyone give 711 a big thanks.

good work :D

Back