Scanning skills and mob pills

forgo

Elite
Society
Freelancer
Forgo Forgorth Lundain
Since the update about the mob pills where we can turn into a mob, I have been whipping out my scanner again on every mob.

I wonder if anyone at MA remembers they nerfed scanning skills?

I am level 11 robot investigator ( I see you require level 15), and have been for over a year, mostly due to a chip, and skills left from a cash-out from un-nerfed scanning.

Scan skills do not move very much at all anymore with one scan per mob, even if I kill a 500 mobs a day I get about 30 skill gains.

Looking forward to using one of these pills in the next decade.

Being a Big Bulk requires Lvl 15 Robot Investigator.

Just take a Chirpy pill, n00b... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Being a Big Bulk requires Lvl 15 Robot Investigator.

Just take a Chirpy pill, n00b... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No need pill to be able to "control" a car, hopefully.

Yeah, something must be done...

This is what I posted in the content realise thread. It's stupid ma are effectively now rewarding payers that auto clicked for hours on end. While everyone else now has to endlessly skill for months to catch up even with the the now allowed auto tool which doesn't help with scan skills anyway.

I was kinda assuming the mob control would be some kinda mind force skill or something.

Ok, so now there is a reason to have scanning skills.. FINALLY

Let me ask this question:

Whats the point of transforming into a mob?

I understand that it has entertainment value.. but that will fade. I do see the potential PvP value, but that will be extremely limited.

This is what I posted in the content realise thread. It's stupid ma are effectively now rewarding payers that auto clicked for hours on end. While everyone else now has to endlessly skill for months to catch up even with the the now allowed auto tool which doesn't help with scan skills anyway.

I was kinda assuming the mob control would be some kinda mind force skill or something.

I never understood why scanning was changed, main argument was auto clicking but mob AI had changed to mess that up (anyone who scanned will know what i mean). Also Auto click repair, crafting, drilling/mining was introduced which again goes against the scanning nerf.
Another argument was scanning for profit which nowadays really isn't worth doing since mark ups on electronics/mechanics etc dropped before nerf to a level it wasn't worth doing.

I still scan but is very very tedious now.

I do find it funny that now people are bothered by the change, after me posting few times and no response from community :D.

I think scanning always had a use, when nerf came i was conducting an experiment into scanning (which was abruptly stopped after 1 clk per mob). However looking at results from different friends with different information skills at the time we thought was more to it than people realised. ;)

(before people start.... i don't own an uber scanner...)

Last edited:
I never understood why scanning was changed...

Funny that it appeared to be CLEAR for me immediately.
And i'm sure some PCF posters have been reading & remember my posts explaining it.
Here is the closest post I did about that.

* Something I always noticed and often said in all forums, is that Mindark is quite all the time doing things with an evident reason, and a hidden reason.
(I could list many features like that).

A little flasback when it was nerf'd :

If i'm correct, it was nerf'd in august 2011 VU. (scanning).
Saddly Entropedia is completly fucked up atm, I can't provide the VU links.
Where all of us couldn't understand why this change ???

Then the VU after, September 2011, the new Mentor System appeared.
Requiring 3 skills : Anatomy, Geology, and Engineering.

You can be 100% sure of it, the scanning nerf was made to avoid people scanning AFK humans for hours to get the precious Anatomy skill. This is pure Logic if you have a minimum of knwoledges about this game.
So like I explained it above, this was the hidden reason.
And I find UBER WEIRD that some people have found so many wrong theories and arguments,
when in fact it was just in front of the eyes.

3 years ago, there was no plans (like there have never been, even dan and myself asked it so many times) linked to the scanning professions.
So destroy this profession was no problem in Mindark's POV.
And you must consider that at this time, probable projects with Taming were in a dead end.

So it is legitimate to understand in Mindark's point of view why they did this scanning nerf, as in all evidences they prefer people to go hunt, mine, eventually craft to get those skills.
This will force/motivate people to deposit, and particularily new players.
In the same line, Mindark knowes that rich players will create tons of avatars (like sweating CAPPED in the PE times) but also avatars repairing in motherships, which will lead into 2 aspects :
* The depo aspect for all new avatar created.
* New accounts, for their target dream of 1 million account.

One more time, this pic for those who can read it is full of objectivity

PANIC !!! yes.

And suddenly we hear that taming will be back...

So please mindark, let scanning humans like it is today if it hurts you so much,
but bring back the other scanning professions like they were before.

PS :

At least, due to this nerf, I organised 2 FREE events for ALL players which were a HUGE success.
Saturday Scan technology Event
Saturday Scan technology Event Year 2

EDIT :

A bit of colors in this big black post.

Hey, that's me taking off with my Sleipnir :) !

Ak.​

Last edited:

I understand that it has entertainment value.. but that will fade. I do see the potential PvP value, but that will be extremely limited.

You can kill hardwrath even when he's not in a pvp area.

Well, assume the following scenario.

You have a big-ass-mob pill.

Give it to a friend and let him spawn it.

Kill it and loot it with 0 defense cost.

Ahah!

Cheers Akbar, now it makes sense why they nerfed it. :)

Maybe a better way to address the issue of anatomy gains would have been to take anatomy out of the skills given by scanning altogether and give scan human or biology more maybe.

It never occured to me about decipleship and anatomy through scanning :D, at least now i know there was a reason behind the change.

Last edited:

Just a hunch, but I expect the cost of the pill will exceed the defensive decay you'd have taken otherwise.

You might not pay defence decay, but you'll pay the cost of the pill. Considering its MA we are talking about, I really doubt that a big-ass-mob pill will have low TT. And if they are as rare as they say, there will probably be a lot of 'lost' MU involved...

You might not pay defence decay, but you'll pay the cost of the pill. Considering its MA we are talking about, I really doubt that a big-ass-mob pill will have low TT. And if they are as rare as they say, there will probably be a lot of 'lost' MU involved...

Assume new super mobs will come, only spawnable via pills, aakas golden key loot style.

I wonder if we will gain skills when controlling the mob as it gets attacked by other players

The main reason why people skilled up in scanning was to unlock Scientist in the cheapest way. This was primarily done by scanning the auctioneer or, after one of the nerfs, an amp crafter standing behind his crafting machine. The skill gained mostly by this method is scan human and the humanoid investigator profession. As there are not too many humanoid creatures, I think the advantage of the Scientist unlockers is limited. Yes, they got side skills that boost the animal, mutant and robot investigator professions but thats only half the skills at best. The typical level 60+ humanoid investigator is not more than level 30-ish in the other professions.

Would be interesting to see if there are capsules with >60 pro standing requirements. And what markup they get ;)

Using mobs for future landgrabs is one of the only reasons I could think of rather than entertainment. As mentioned it's likely that pill TT will be greater than any negative defense costs. However a 10k hp mob constantly attacking you while you're in a LG will be a major annoyance - 2 will be pretty devastating for the defending team.

The main reason why people skilled up in scanning was to unlock Scientist in the cheapest way. This was primarily done by scanning the auctioneer or, after one of the nerfs, an amp crafter standing behind his crafting machine. The skill gained mostly by this method is scan human and the humanoid investigator profession. As there are not too many humanoid creatures, I think the advantage of the Scientist unlockers is limited. Yes, they got side skills that boost the animal, mutant and robot investigator professions but thats only half the skills at best. The typical level 60+ humanoid investigator is not more than level 30-ish in the other professions.

Would be interesting to see if there are capsules with >60 pro standing requirements. And what markup they get ;)

Before the aggro-switch came about, plenty autoscanned mobs/bots while another avatar fapped. But to be honest, lvl 15 for a big bulk shows that they're not ridiculous requirements.

So please mindark, let scanning humans like it is today if it hurts you so much,
but bring back the other scanning professions like they were before.

Scan Humans was gained, I Think, by scanning the auctioneer, something that's (unfortunately) not possible.

And some people dragged out a mob out in the wilderness, and used a scanner like ES500 (with limited availibility), and let it run around the Clock, despite the fact autoclickers weren't really allowed at that time.

And, from some people hearing how upset they are if their dried Carabok gets killed while they're AFK, maybe it's a good thing for the Peace that it's not (practically) possible to do afk scanning of mobs. Imagine the drama that would be if someone dragged out a warlock to skill scanning and someone driving by with a car accidently would drag it away. And maybe even (with autoaim), the "scanner" would follow the warlock into a herd of other mobs...

I don't mind scanning getting "easier" in some way, though making it an "afk" profession wouldn't be good for the gameplay.

Perhaps scanning skills can be purchased from ComPet players through the stables?
Ped has to be able to flow both directions somehow right?

Perhaps scanning skills can be purchased from ComPet players through the stables?
Ped has to be able to flow both directions somehow right?

Zoology is a part of Animal Lore (or if it was Animal Taming).

As for anatomy, as it comes from both shooting and fapping, I Think it's a rather "cheap" skill (most people have "tons" of it).

And some people dragged out a mob out in the wilderness, and used a scanner like ES500 (with limited availibility), and let it run around the Clock, despite the fact autoclickers weren't really allowed at that time...

ahh the good days, memories :rolleyes:

There are most probably more reasons for changes than just for the gain of certain skills,
even thou' some dismiss those as just theories. ;)

So most of us , honest Players cannot use the creature capsules. And only those who used third party illegal autoclickers to skill up scanning robots and animals can use them? Well done Mindark!

So most of us , honest Players cannot use the creature capsules. And only those who used third party illegal autoclickers to skill up scanning robots and animals can use them? Well done Mindark!

Well, even if it is true that Mindark always stated in the old time that auto-clickers/thirp party softwares were forbidden, they did quite nothing about it, unless they could have locked all crafters (ubers), all tailorers, all people scanning NPC 24/24, all people using mod fap vs pupugi or fishes (and many others) for high agility, all people digging their claims, all people training their pets, all people skilling MF in acid pools, all people shooting AFK in rings and fapping AFK.... the list is long.

There are so many rules that have never been respected, and it continues nowadays.

But we are today, we can only expect they bring us back the scanning profession like it was few years ago.

Which is a good thing, tons of new avatars scanning 24/24 = a lot of new accounts lol....

I don't understand the problem. When you're low level investigator you can increase very rapidly. The Big Bulk 01 requires level 15 (if the pic can be believed). I'm sure the skill requirements for smaller mobs are a lot lower. You certainly can't kill a Big Bulk when you're only level 15 so it sounds like they have low level requirements, meaning that some of the uber scanners will be able to control the big mobs, assuming the pills ever drop.

If you want to control creatures, get scanning.

Last edited:
I don't understand the problem. When you're low level investigator you can increase very rapidly. The Big Bulk 01 requires level 15 (if the pic can be believed). I'm sure the skill requirements for smaller mobs are a lot lower. You certainly can't kill a Big Bulk when you're only level 15 so it sounds like they have low level requirements, meaning that some of the uber scanners will be able to control the big mobs, assuming the pills ever drop.

If you want to control creatures, get scanning.

While you can only scan one robot one time in the hope you get a skillgain and the right skillgain? That sounds like fun!

Right let's get some context here I'm lvl 5 animal investigator
I hunted huons youngs for an hour and a half the other night scanning every mob I shot I gain about 3 points of scan animal in that run.

May try again and track how many mobs but it's pretty clear without chipping( now the scan skills
Will skyrocket in price) it's gona take me ages to reach anywhere near controlling something that isnt a noob mob.

Not saying people should be banned or anything I just want ma to give the newer players and the ones that choose to follow the rules to have the equal chance to skill in the same way.

Last edited:
Back