Should MindArk Take Over Entropedia.info?

Should MindArk Take Over Entropedia.info?

• Yes

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 64.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

HardWrath

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Max HardWrath Mayhem
Simple question: Should MindArk take over the website www.entropiawiki.com?

That website has evolved into a fundamentally critical tool for a significant amount of Entropia players however due to neglect it suffers from frequent periods of long downtime, bugs, and other issues. When that happens, it has detrimental effects on gameplay as well as the game economy.

It likely wouldn't be difficult or expensive for MA to acquire that website, bring stability to it, and allow users to continue to update it with content, like we do now.

There continuously is outcry for a new administrator or even a whole new website that competes with Entropedia.info but there is no guarantee that the players who take on that role will still be active with it in a few years. As a result, perhaps MindArk would be the best Admin for the much needed wiki.

Well, I've said over and over again that I would pick it up and run with it. I have also threatened to build a competitor but I haven't because I was going to give the other person some time (although 5+ months is enough) to sort things out.

But appears that we want MA to take it over, when they can barely make this game work right. Normally I would suggest some of these numbers should be available in game, but if they ever did, half the items in the game would be TT'd on the spot.

I don't think its a good idea for Mindark to be running the site, it would be much better if a third party who was actually dedicated to the site ran it. There are a lot of people in the EU community with the relevant skills to run such a site, to put that on Mindark is a unneeded resource drain in my opinion.

I think we are in a transition period right now EntropiaPlanets have begun work on there wiki and although i don't think its great yet it certainly shows potential to be(The wiki loads very slowly for me, i hope its because of host location). With a few others waiting to see what happens with Entropedia before deciding to write a wiki or not.

Best regards
Zweshi

No, it needs to be separate and impartial.

It has now got to the point where it needs to be rebuilt from scratch - entropedia is more useful as a historical source than an up to date wiki now.

Well, I've said over and over again that I would pick it up and run with it. I have also threatened to build a competitor but I haven't because I was going to give the other person some time (although 5+ months is enough) to sort things out.

It's funny that you and a few others always focus on those 5 months when there have been a few problems, rather than the 10+ years before that when it was running perfectly well. Though I agree that the current situation is not ideal.

Last edited:
It's funny that you and a few others always focus on those 5 months when there have been a few problems, rather than the 10+ years before that when it was running perfectly well. Though I agree that the current situation is not ideal.

Oleg is right. For a long time it ran great, however the fact remains the owner of the site seems to be preoccupied with other things. As a result, he found someone to administer the site, but now that person also has become preoccupied with other things.

All MA would have to do is keep the thing running, which is more than the current owner and the administrator are doing right now.

At the end of the day, I don't care who runs it... As long as the site works.

The way it ran years ago is negligible due to the sheer increase number of database entries, multiple planets and more complex relational databases.

There are ways to improve performance globally but they require some time and consideration to the current data sets.

I have absolute confidence in the current caretakers that they will resolve these issues.

Its important to note that the current back-end 'system' in entropedia is very efficient when handling these data sets types and sizes. Regular maintenance will bring it back to life. Other implementations have their advantages in terms of page customisation but on the negative have an inherent limit to the size of data-sets returned and require more maintenance per page than entropedia. All systems can coexist - ET, EP and Entropedia.

Entropedia may need a visual refresh - besides that the implementation is sound.

No need for MA to jump in.

No thanks. Entropedia is a place for data and facts. Don't we have enough censorship here?

No thanks. Entropedia is a place for data and facts. Don't we have enough censorship here?

Umn.. in case you didnt know, this site is independently run and non-official.

MindArk doesnt run PCF

I say no. Entropedia is independent. I suggest a small fee to use it like Entropia life. I think most of us would be happy to pay 10-15$ each per year so they can employ an administration person to correct all the data and keep it running.

I say no. Entropedia is independent. I suggest a small fee to use it like Entropia life. I think most of us would be happy to pay 10-15$ each per year so they can employ an administration person to correct all the data and keep it running.

There is all kinds of ways that site could be monetized

There are arguments for and against this idea.

But its gone 2am so....

http://justflipacoin.com/

Personal, general, thought is:

If its not broken, dont fix it, if it is broken then maybe having the game developer take over would be beneficial.

The less MA are involved with the better.

I don't see the big deal, life goes on and If the fellow says he is working on the site then he is working on it, it isn't his income and we aren't paying for it so he gets to do it in his own time and when it's done no doubt people will still find something to complain about.

Possibly a nice idea, but whether or not they can or should. Are they even willing..

Further, MA isn't too privy on releasing specs on inner workings of the game.
IMO seeing them taking over Entropedia would just be a big conflict of interest.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for it.. if it was even likely..

Possibly a nice idea, but whether or not they can or should. Are they even willing..

Further, MA isn't too privy on releasing specs on inner workings of the game.
IMO seeing them taking over Entropedia would just be a big conflict of interest.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for it.. if it was even likely..

I dont see how it would be a conflict of interest.. its a website for their game

Didn't a sub-set of Mindark buy Entropiaforum, oh wait, I SEE that's not the case... Do you really want another database mess like that happening with Entropedia?

Didn't a sub-set of Mindark buy Entropiaforum, oh wait, I SEE that's not the case... Do you really want another database mess like that happening with Entropedia?

What database mess? PCF works just fine.

EF is still owned by 711

The users were transfered here to PCF which is administered by 711

There was no mess.

SEE was never a subsidiary of MA.

I voted yes,
because I think even a "slightly" contribution from the creators of the platform, it will be a great benefit to all of us and for Entropia.
Don't mix up the platform (and issues with it) with a website.
Those are two different things.

Entropedia need that contribution....period.

What database mess? PCF works just fine.

EF is still owned by 711

The users were transfered here to PCF which is administered by 711

There was no mess.

SEE was never a subsidiary of MA.

Come now, if you don't think neomaven is influenced by MA in any way shape or form then you've really got your blinkers on.

First, NO. Second, why would they? If they'd want to run such resource, it would be matter of hours to put up one, and zero headache to maintain. Evidently, they see no use for one.

Most importantly, how Mindark can take over something like Entropedia.info?! They might claim their rights for some data, but even then the best they can do is to shutdown Entropedia, not get their hands on it. Why not Entropialife too, while they're at it? What, EL has no downtime problems? So much the better, a valuable acquisition that makes money.

Entropedia has issues, but its independence is all that matter.

Also I just hate to observe the tug of war between owners of various EU-related sites each time Entropedia is down. I'm sure there are hundreds of people in EU who are able to create a tool better than Entropedia and are full of visions, but it's not the platform that matter but the people who feed it with the data. There are other wikis but people chose Entropedia, how about some respect for their choice.

Simple question: Should MindArk take over the website www.entropiawiki.com?

That website has evolved into a fundamentally critical tool for a significant amount of Entropia players however due to neglect it suffers from frequent periods of long downtime, bugs, and other issues. When that happens, it has detrimental effects on gameplay as well as the game economy.

It likely wouldn't be difficult or expensive for MA to acquire that website, bring stability to it, and allow users to continue to update it with content, like we do now.

There continuously is outcry for a new administrator or even a whole new website that competes with Entropedia.info but there is no guarantee that the players who take on that role will still be active with it in a few years. As a result, perhaps MindArk would be the best Admin for the much needed wiki.
I'd say what right would they have to take it over?

I'd say what right would they have to take it over?

OP's wording perhaps has unfortunate connotations. I really like entropedia. Apart from the wealth of data collated by the user community it also has some very useful tools which I use extensively. But I get a little bit frustrated at the occasional downtime because when it is down it is down for an extended period. And when tools become out of date (Armour vs mob no longer accounts correctly for plates), then only the site admin can fix it and clearly that is a problem when admin is on a volunteer unpaid basis.

So if the site owner were amenable to the idea then purchase of the site by MA could be good for MA and for the community as well as reward the site owner with some cash for all his hard work over the years. I don't think independence is an issue. Wiki data is maintained by the user community. And tool updates could be based on information supplied by us. There just needs to be a clear description of any algorithms in in page discussion.

Back