About how many people playing?

liliana

I started playing along with my brother back around 2006(ish). I didnt really have the time or money to commit back then so I quickly gave up for cheaper MMOs. I have tried to return a few times over the years but again never really the time. Finally finished up with radiology school and now I do have the time. But now it seems like a lot less people are around. There are quite a few shops in the malls that are empty. I know this game has always been a very small niche game but I dont see whos paying MA's bills. Also they added a bunch of new planets but it seems people only use Caly or Ark and Ark is still way behind Caly in terms of items for sale.

Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how many are playing? Does a game like this even need a lot of players to support it? Just seems kind of depressing running through Emerald Lakes or Port Atlantis Malls and seeing quite a few empty shops. Treasure City is very depressing and I think only one or two buildings even had basement shops that were up and running and they didnt have a lot lot up for sale. So does this game still have a healthy population? I just dont understand why they keep opening new planets if no one even uses them.

I started playing along with my brother back around 2006(ish). I didnt really have the time or money to commit back then so I quickly gave up for cheaper MMOs. I have tried to return a few times over the years but again never really the time. Finally finished up with radiology school and now I do have the time. But now it seems like a lot less people are around. There are quite a few shops in the malls that are empty. I know this game has always been a very small niche game but I dont see whos paying MA's bills. Also they added a bunch of new planets but it seems people only use Caly or Ark and Ark is still way behind Caly in terms of items for sale.

Does anyone have a rough estimate as to how many are playing? Does a game like this even need a lot of players to support it? Just seems kind of depressing running through Emerald Lakes or Port Atlantis Malls and seeing quite a few empty shops. Treasure City is very depressing and I think only one or two buildings even had basement shops that were up and running and they didnt have a lot lot up for sale. So does this game still have a healthy population? I just dont understand why they keep opening new planets if no one even uses them.

There are lots of people, just the game is very big now in terms of space so you may only see a few at a location, and at any given time, most are out in the "field" away from TPs hunting or mining. Also, because of the universal chat channels and to reduce lag, people tend to avoid congregating in one place.

Shops and apartments are bought quickly by resellers and held on to for unreasonable prices, and many of them are owned by players who quit the game, and as far as I know there's no mechanism for those deeds to come back to the market. Mindark now restricts how many shops can be released on other planets, so there's a severe shortage of available estates everywhere but Calypso.

Other planets are created by separate companies, called Planet Partners. Of these, Next Island was abandoned by its owner, Cyrene and Toulan are growing but have not been officially released yet, and RT "downsized" because they were not attracting enough players. Arkadia has a dedicated team and is growing.

Rough estimate of players, I'd say 5k to 10k different people log in on a typical day.

And your alt account here is? 'Welcome' back :) At least you didn't bring up 2009(ish) year. But for the most part due to the worlds overall economy this game is still doing well.

id say there is max 6k players... now that u can get 5ped global from hunting the entropia life shows the truth.. all the "unique" globallers from all professions add to around 6k.. but then most from that 6k have globals in each category so i would assume it to drop to 3-4k unique players that have globalled in past month..

id say there is max 6k players... now that u can get 5ped global from hunting the entropia life shows the truth.. all the "unique" globallers from all professions add to around 6k.. but then most from that 6k have globals in each category so i would assume it to drop to 3-4k unique players that have globalled in past month..

I mine a fair bit nowadays but I'm doing enmatter only without amps. Needless to say I haven't had a global in a long, long time (much more than 30 days) despite mining almost every day. Same thing applies to anyone crafting exclusively basic filters on quantity and so on. Entropia life is a decent frame of reference but there are many players it doesn't capture.

I mine a fair bit nowadays but I'm doing enmatter only without amps. Needless to say I haven't had a global in a long, long time (much more than 30 days) despite mining almost every day. Same thing applies to anyone crafting exclusively basic filters on quantity and so on. Entropia life is a decent frame of reference but there are many players it doesn't capture.

thats why i said 6k players.. 3-4k who global regularly.. and like 2-3k players who are just like u

A while back (when there was talk about another planet) the number was 18.000 active players.
If that has gone up or down I do not know.

wow thats better than my estimate. I was gonna say 3000ish. I know this game will never have WoWish numbers but is 6k-10k a healthy population? Also since other planets seem like ghost towns can anything be done to get people going to them. I was thinking maybe decreasing the cost and travel time in space would allow easier access to all of the planets. Are there actually people on places like Toulan and Cyrene?

Cyrene and Toulan are growing but have not been officially released yet,

what does that mean?

I think it's about the same population as back in 2006, but back then it was 1 planet while now it's 7, and Calypso alone is made 3 times bigger, so people are spread out. Also people used to crowd up for trading/socializing, but now we have universe-wide chat channels for that.

As for numbers, I'd estimate it around 3-4k people who play every day (including sweaters, traders and other entrepreneurs who are missed by Entropialife), 8-10k who play at least once a week.

A lot of players don't global at all since they don't hunt mine or craft.

How come? They play the game the way they like.
Yeah I'm confused by that statement as well! Last time I checked it was an open world where you decided how you wanted to play this game! Doing things that others didn't think of, just to make or save ped, was a smart way to play! :)

well those cant be called players then

My last global is more than 30 days ago. Still i call myself a player. I deposit regularly each month, i buy stuff and i contribute to the community. But it is summer, there is more to do than playing. Busy job, GF, activity outside ( yes the outside with the high resolution and bright light ).

Point is not everyone playing a game dedicates all their life to the game. Nor are they playing with the same commitment over their lifespan in a game.

That being said at this moment entropialife shows us 3515 unique avatars globalled over the last 30 days in hunting, 1154 in mining and 1294 in crafting. As some in mining and crafting global also in hunting my estimate would be around 4000-4500 unique avatars in total globalled in the last 30 days. And this is in summer. Considering my own gaming behaviour, sweaters, traders, socialites (...) i think at least the same amount of people are playing on small scale. Makes at least 8000-9000.

Is that a healthy poplulation ?

Long term i doubt so, especially considering how many companies rely on the userbase now. But as we see there are plans to bring mindark products to a broader audience, and we just can hope they succeed and also attract some users from Compet for EU as well - One thing on the positive side, they are a real dinosaur in the MMO market. More than 10 years, brought the ship through a tough world wide economy crisis, lost maybe half their customer base due to an update a lot of computers weren't able to handle back then and still they are here. Entropia still exists and developed over the time. Despite being a small nieche game.

A lot of players don't global at all since they don't hunt mine or craft.

We're talking about players who pay mindark's bills (with lots of decay), not players who make players bills higher (resellers). Resellers do nothing to keep mindark afloat :)

I wouldn't count them when the purpose is to find out how many people are losing money (to mindark specifically) to keep the game afloat.

Maybe that's not the purpose here but that is my only concern :)

Why don't you go runting? (resell and hunt) haha

At some points the reseller buys stuff from a hunter or crafter that gives them liquidity to keep the crafter/hunter/miner going. Or the chatting guy that collects stuff for his cool house or whatever......we are all a part of a free market economy game.

Not everybody globals but as long we are playing/logging in we all contribute.

That being said I deposit my good share and global some to show that Im around!

/Linzey

Reactions: SHY
hard to come up with a good number only based on tracker. for example my wife plays but almost exclusively in team hunts with me. not sure but do not think she has ever solo globaled. however she has had an avatar since 2006 I believe.

Resellers do nothing to keep mindark afloat :)

Calculate out how much a big reseller gives to MA in the form of auction fees, you will be surprised. Auction brings in a huge amount of income for MA.

There are also a lot of "reverse resellers". People who buy high and sell low. No idea why, they just do.

There is more to the game than hunting, crafting, mining and reselling. Look at people who color and texture. They don't skill up to a decent level for free, but you won't ever see a texturing or coloring global and I'm sure there are many other examples out there.

There are also a lot of "reverse resellers". People who buy high and sell low. No idea why, they just do.

Please introduce us :)

I sometimes do this through impatience but not as a living.

Calculate out how much a big reseller gives to MA in the form of auction fees, you will be surprised. Auction brings in a huge amount of income for MA.

I sometimes do this, because I can tt a gun and its gone or not make a profit on auction, but make a noob happy.

..... and RT "downsized" because they were not attracting enough players......

How long it's passed from the time you visited another planet than Arkadia?
I will inform you that ROCKtropia right now is growing and there is a "core" of dedicated players who love the planet.
I believe it will be a very strong competitor in short time.

btw your dedication to Arkadia dev's it is admirable.

Back