Question: Raise the Cap on Pyrite?

Dev Notes #1

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/bulletin/buzz/2012/5/23/Developer-Notes---1.xml

Resource Distribution - In order to promote interplanetary trade and to stimulate the growth of local planetary economies, the availability of various resources will be periodically adjusted on each of the different planets within Entropia Universe. The MindArk balancing team monitors resource availability and distribution among the planets very closely, and is constantly making adjustments to achieve the goals of local planetary economy growth and interplanetary trade. One exciting side effect of this process is that it creates unique opportunities for observant and industrious participants to profit from shifts in supply and demand in local planetary markets and creates opportunities for speculation. Another benefit is that the reallocation process creates a more dynamic and challenging universe for participants to enjoy and adapt to.

If something is being allocated or reallocated, that specifically means (among other things) that the supply is finite and not infinite. So as is clear, in order to manage scarcity of any resource and have a limited supply, there has to be at least a loose cap on that resource that restricts the maximum amount in circulation at any given time.

No doubt the system tracks the total TT value of any specific resource that's circulating among players regardless if those people are miners, crafters, traders, or otherwise. Then from there it makes more available in loot as existing supples are consumed. Because of this, if one person hoards an excessive amount of a specific resource, the system thereby can be exploited, because by preventing more from looting, the price will rise.

Therefor, the easiest way to correct the problem is just to raise the cap.

I'm just wondering if anyone in here has an actual education or real experience from game design...

Why don't you make a simple exposition on how MA should stand in this matter by the perspective of a game designer :popcorn:

So to not being incongruent with the above here is some of my views:

In real life economics there is something that can't be excaped:

resourses are limited

The key element so far is the creation of value by imposing a restriction

(scarcity)

Scarcity is the fundamental economic problem of having seemingly unlimited human wants in a world of limited resources. It states that society has insufficient productive resources to fulfill all human wants and needs. A common misconception on scarcity is that an item has to be important for it to be scarce. However, this is not true, for something to be scarce, it has to be hard to obtain, hard to create, or both. Simply put, the production cost of something determines if it is scarce or not. For example, although air is more important to us than diamonds, it is cheaper simply because the production cost of air is zero. Diamonds on the other hand have a high production cost. They have to be found and processed, both of which require a lot of money. Additionally, scarcity implies that not all of society's goals can be pursued at the same time; trade-offs are made of one good against others. In an influential 1932 essay, Lionel Robbins defined economics as "the science which studies human behavior as a relationship between ends and scarce means which have alternative uses."[1]

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarcity)

Point A)
MA wants to create a virtual economy

Point B)
All known examples of virtual economies in which there is no means to establish a limitation on the creation of resources will devalue the perceived value of them

Point C)
MA wants that the players have a feeling that what they are achieving has value

Point D)
One way to do this is by making the creation of the valuable item an action which few can do it

D1)
by either establishing very harsh real life skill requiments in terms of: oculo-motor coordination, gathering of information, charisma (social negotiation for the defense os spending the resourse of the group in the activities that interest you)

D2)
establishing ingame pre-requisite number of actions to be made prior to the basis requirement to be achievable which the main dificulty is the time and boresome that they imply

Point E)
Once the value is created it will fall into 2 categories:

E1)
a consumable which can be used to fuel further activities

E2)
a tool(/weapon) that allows for other (new/better/improved) activities

Point F)
Now, with the how to impose scarcity

F1)

F1A)
the most simple:
establish a cap how what can be found
(for example the creation of unlimited repairable tools to be establish by a unique id system which prevents sustained new creations)

F1B)
for items where eternal unique identifiers would be troublesome (consumables)
establish a soft cap
meaning relation between it's expected consumption and production rate

F2)
Impose restrictions to those who try to produced them which a viewed as very negative
(to be pked and looted isn't a popular desired)

And pyrite is an excellent example of the above

MA made it so that it is needed for something that the players wish to do (A, B, C)
in a way that not many will do it (D)
in relation to an activity where there is an easy to identify purpose (E)
and where scarcity can be imposed (F)

The problem is the obvious exploitability
(which also exists in real life: oil cartels, utilities(water, electricity, telecomunications) near/duo/pseudomonopolies, union and trade associations, ...)

where resourses are limited those who have them have power to impose restrictions

it's a catch 22 issue

because that is usually why we consider that they have value.

because power is one thing and one thing only:

the ability to make your choices come through

Last edited:
Therefor, the easiest way to correct the problem is just to raise the cap.

If MA would tells us that there is no true cap I could believe it.

Meaning that the total ammount of pyrite allowed to be owned by player to not have a definitive maximum value.

[by information that others provide me I doubt that such thing is true (at least an easy work arround if exist was badly implemented)]

That doesn't mean that I don't understand why could had that made such choice,
the solution is harder to implement in terms of find a correct algorithm and the hardware resourses that it will require to function.

No doubt the system tracks the total TT value of any specific resource that's circulating among players regardless if those people are miners, crafters, traders, or otherwise. Then from there it makes more available in loot as existing supples are consumed. Because of this, if one person hoards an excessive amount of a specific resource, the system thereby can be exploited, because by preventing more from looting, the price will rise.

Crude Oil, and especially Melchi have price very close to their TT value, and it's "core" resources.

Every serious fucking reseller have enough resources to "hoard" them.

It's risk free "exploit", compared to "hoarding" of Pyrite, because if it doesn't work - you can simply TT it and lose almost nothing.

So, or you all are dumb fucks because you still didn't "exploited" it, or you as always spreading bullshit.

Why don't you make a simple exposition on how MA should stand in this matter by the perspective of a game designer :popcorn:

*removed a lot of text* :p

the ability to make your choices come through

Well you basicaly have two options, a closed economy or an open one but both have their problems and merits.

Yes MA could increase the cap, but that would instead make other problems appear, ie there would be more resources than the economy should have and so on.
But google MMO economy design and there should be plenty to read :)

So, or you all are dumb fucks because you still didn't "exploited" it, or you as always spreading bullshit.

On some days I wonder if you were either hugged too much or not enough as a kid...

Thats a different topic I suppose.

In my view, the people who need to exploit the system in order to try and make a little profit lack any kind of morals and integrity, have an intellectual vacancy, and are taking unnecessary risks. Sure PED can be made, but how much and at what risk? For people who do such things, sure there are winners, but there are even more losers... And you don't hear about the losers because it's not like they can come to the forum and whine that they lost 10k PED because they tried to exploit but failed.

Anyone with half a brain who wants to pursue speculative investing in EU should be able to identify things that put upward and downward pressure on the markets from month to month and then play those natural swings. Sometimes it's stackable resources, other times it's unlimited items of certain categories, and sometimes it's certain (L) items.

Last edited:
On some days I wonder if you were either hugged to much or not enough as a kid...

In my view, the people who need to exploit the system in order to try and make a little profit lack any kind of morals and integrity, have an intellectual vacancy, and are taking unnecessary risks. Sure PED can be made, but how much and at what risk? For people who do such things, sure there are winners, but there are even more losers... And you don't hear about the losers because it's not like they can come to the forum and whine that they lost 10k PED because they tried to exploit but failed.

Anyone with half a brain who wants to pursue speculative investing in EU should be able to identify things that put upward and downward pressure on the markets from month to month and then play those natural swings. Sometimes it's stackable resources, other times it's unlimited items of certain categories, and sometimes it's certain (L) items.

Calling something an exploit, even repeatedly, might with some be a successful way to attempt to manipulate people over to a flawed point of view via knee-jerk, emotional attachments.

But calling it an exploit, doesn't make it one :)

(btw: take note of "flawed". See what I did there? :))

Calling something an exploit, even repeatedly, might with some be a successful way to attempt to manipulate people over to a flawed point of view via knee-jerk, emotional attachments.

But calling it an exploit, doesn't make it one :)

(btw: take note of "flawed". See what I did there? :))

Well what would you call it then when someone manipulates game mechanics in a way the game designers did not intend by hoarding a specific resource that you know is capped, in order to swing the balance of supply and demand, thereby increasing the price of that resource, so you can sell for more than you paid.

What other word besides "exploit" would you use?

I remember before Anti-Trapping Logic was introduced in EU's game mechanics, all the trappers would defend their actions as "smart strategic game-play" There was a big controversy on the forum over whether or not it was an exploit... Finally MA clarified in no uncertain terms what is and is not an exploit.

The list goes on and on....

There is a fine line between "speculative investing" and manipulating markets in order to achieve the result that you need. In my view, and I think a lot of others too, one is an exploit and one is not.

Last edited:
On some days I wonder if you were either hugged too much or not enough as a kid...

Bla bla bla?

Direct question: is it possible to "hoard" crude or melchi, for "exploiting" described by you above? Accepted answers is "yes" or "no". With other bullshit except that you can go and fuck yourself.

Thx.

Bla bla bla?

Direct question: is it possible to "hoard" crude or melchi, for "exploiting" described by you above? Accepted answers is "yes" or "no". With other bullshit except that you can go and fuck yourself.

Thx.

Such an angry little man you are :laugh:

I know you are very obtuse (means: slow to catch on) but in this thread we are not talking about Crude Oil or Melchi. As is detailed in the thread subject along with the opening post, we are talking about Pyrite.

To answer your off topic question: I believe it would be much harder to corner the market on Crude or Melchi simply due to them both being a much more common resource.

Such an angry little man you are :laugh:

I know you are very obtuse (means: slow to catch on) but in this thread we are not talking about Crude Oil or Melchi. As is detailed in the thread subject along with the opening post, we are talking about Pyrite.

To answer your off topic question: I believe it would be much harder to corner the market on Crude or Melchi simply due to them both being a much more common resource.

Skipping all your common crap, and bolding only information: so, answer is "yes", it's possible, even you changed your "mode" to "i believe".

The pyrite isn't different from other resources, it have TT and MU as others. So, if it possible to "corner" the "market" on those - why still nobody did that?

There is really big guys here, and just push a bit up crude or melchi would made nice difference in prices, and would be easy to make profit.

Still, it wasn't done. Why?

push a bit up crude or melchi would made nice difference in prices, and would be easy to make profit.

because instead of going from 240% to 400% (made up numbers re: pyrite) they would go from 102% to 106%

ie not worth it

because instead of going from 240% to 400% (made up numbers re: pyrite) they would go from 102% to 106%

ie not worth it

Seriously? BTW, Pyrite wasn't go up so high, it was common "seasonal" swing. But there is some interesting pic:

nUyUoNG.png

Pyrite is boring shit, compared to turnovers of that cheap crappage like lyst and oil.

Minimal risk also, for "cornering" .

Most interesting "cornering" would be made on Alternative, since it's one of most popular mining amps (D-CLASS), and thus, influence on ALL mining market?

Still wasn't done. Why?

Skipping all your common crap, and bolding only information: so, answer is "yes", it's possible, even you changed your "mode" to "i believe".

The pyrite isn't different from other resources, it have TT and MU as others. So, if it possible to "corner" the "market" on those - why still nobody did that?

There is really big guys here, and just push a bit up crude or melchi would made nice difference in prices, and would be easy to make profit.

A person would have to assume that nothing could be looted in unlimited amounts, but common resources would likely require an enormous PED stack, many hundreds of thousands of PED. And then assuming that it is possible to corner the market on common stuff that continuously loots, you would have to sell it, and when you started doing that, the prices would start to come back down which then would totally defeat the purpose of doing it in the first place.

Generally speaking, trying to corner the market on stackable resources is a fool's errand. Even with more scarce resources like Pyrite where it's easier to fool the system's balancing mechanisms, when you start to sell your stack, you are introducing new supply thereby satisfying demand, and then on top of that, when that Pyrite gets consumed in the Crafting Machine, more will loot, which also satisfies demand. I would guess in that scenario that you only could sell one third to one half of your stack before prices normalized.

A person would have to assume that nothing could be looted in unlimited amounts, but common resources would likely require an enormous PED stack, many hundreds of thousands of PED. And then assuming that it is possible to corner the market on common stuff that continuously loots, you would have to sell it, and when you started doing that, the prices would start to come back down which then would totally defeat the purpose of doing it in the first place.

Generally speaking, trying to corner the market on stackable resources is a fool's errand. Even with more scarce resources like Pyrite where it's easier to fool the system's balancing mechanisms, when you start to sell your stack, you are introducing new supply thereby satisfying demand, and then on top of that, when that Pyrite gets consumed in the Crafting Machine, more will loot, which also satisfies demand. I would guess in that scenario that you only could sell one third to one half of your stack before prices normalized.

Great, so we coming to conclusion that there is no "hoarders" of Pyrite, who "raised" it's MU, right?

All pyrite consumers shud take a break.
Just remember that damage enhancers do not contribute to eco, at contrary they rise cost of play a lot.
Stop crafting enhancers, stop using them for few weeks or monts.
Someone who have money locked in pirite will have some headache with dead money fast.

And maybe MA will think about reason for low turn ower then .
If they cant raise pyrite cap found in game they could introduce a cap on how much one individual can possess ( shity idea but could exist as an additional storage fee for biger ammount)

Yes, we need that promised political system and ability to regulate some things what could be even more shity idea with taxes, fees, embargos, permissions, other type of regulations but with that could work.

Yes, we need that promised political system and ability to regulate some things what could be even more shity idea with taxes, fees, embargos, permissions, other type of regulations but with that could work.

Agree, 100 enhancers in one hands per month, thru lootable coupons.

Oh wait...

All pyrite consumers shud take a break.
Just remember that damage enhancers do not contribute to eco, at contrary they rise cost of play a lot.

Dan, you are flat out wrong. I have a lot of respect for you, but on this you are wrong. Please remember that your insanely high skill level makes you a statistical outlier and more importantly, your play style contrasts significantly with a lot of people.

Let's give an example using my situation... I'm reskilling my avatar after a chipout a couple years ago before a long break... Currently I'm ~220k skills, 172 HP so basically mid level and I'm working on my Feffox Iron Mission where I'm 30k/60k Feffox. I'm skilling short blades for a specific reason. Feffox Young/Mature don't really touch me much, but anything Guardian or higher has significant defensive costs.

Moreover, due to how much Feffox wander, it's not uncommon for me to end up with 2 or 3 attacking me at once.

I predamage fully damage enhanced, maxed SIB, doing ~50 DPS from 100+ meters and then about 70 DPS with a tier 5 Ranked Combat Knife, fully damage enhanced. On medium to large Feffox, the cost of Enhancers is substantially lower then armor decay and heal costs. When I hit my Knifefigher skill goal, I'll be 100+ DPS with the weapon I want.

For my purposes, as well as a lot of others... Especially those hunting at the edge of their skill/equipment level using unlimited weapons, the extra DPS of damage Enhancers is a real cost saver in a lot of cases. As a result, going without them is not an option.

Buying them at 400% and higher pisses me off and buying Pyrite at 230% to 250% to craft them also pisses me off... Thus the reason for my activity in this thread.

Agree, 100 enhancers in one hands per month, thru lootable coupons.

Oh wait...(what i do with 100k pyrite in my storage then?)

Agree, we are looking for pyrite collectors lol :)

Dan, you are flat out wrong.

You mean more enhancers = more eco, less decay, less ammo usage...?
Then entropedia is also wrong?
Well if is that wrong then someone shud correct data and info on many places appart entropedia.
Btw why you are going to predamage another mob if you have in average 3 of them on you already, you find it more eco?

You mean more enhancers = more eco, less decay, less ammo usage...?
Then entropedia is also wrong?
Well if is that wrong then someone shud correct data and info on many places appart entropedia.
Btw why you are going to predamage another mob if you have in average 3 of them on you already, you find it more eco?

The Damage Per Pec is only part of the equation when determining the true overall economy of the hunt. Its one piece of the puzzle.

For example: Igni L1000 + A106 - Tier 0 = 2.959 DPP & 40.98 DPS

...and then Tier 5 damage enhanced: 2.933 DPP & 55.11 DPS

Versus Feffox Guardian, which way costs less? Factor regen, armor decay, heal costs, and TP chip uses from crit hit deaths.

Damage enhanced, you are doing 34% more DPS which means 34% less regen, 34% less armor decay, 34% less heal costs, etc etc... Actually, factoring regen, it works to be more than 34% defensive savings.

Buying them at 400% and higher pisses me off and buying Pyrite at 230% to 250% to craft them also pisses me off... Thus the reason for my activity in this thread.

And this is the bottom line.

Rather than put your thinking cap on and come up with a way to defeat this using your own time, your own resources and your own ingenuity, you want Mommy to step in and defend how YOU play the game at the expense of everyone who does NOT play the game the way you do.

Point blank.

And no, I'll never support that.

I'll celebrate your right to hold any number of viewpoints that differ from my own. I will not support efforts to make me pay for them.

I think it was ol' Maggie Thatcher that said "The problem with socialists is that they eventually run out of other people's money." :)

And this is the bottom line.

Rather than put your thinking cap on and come up with a way to defeat this using your own time, your own resources and your own ingenuity, you want Mommy to step in and defend how YOU play the game at the expense of everyone who does NOT play the game the way you do.

First of all, you are an idiot

Second of all, balancing the EU economy is not my responsibility

Third, even if I did want to, I HAVE NO WAY TO DO IT, because I am not MindArk. If they put a cap in place then thats it.. supply will be restricted... period end of story.

MindArk is the only one who can control balance which is why sledge made the thread.

I think it was ol' Maggie Thatcher that said "The problem with socialists is that they eventually run out of other people's money." :)

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know? What does socialism have to do with what we are talking about in this thread? Do yourself a favor and take your meds.. mkay?

First of all you are a idiot

Second of all, balancing the EU economy is not my responsibility

Third, even if I did want to, I HAVE NO WAY TO DO IT, because I am not MindArk. If they put a cap in place then thats it.. supply will be restricted... period end of story.

MindArk is the only one who can control balance which is why sledge made the thread.

You choose to ignore any evidence that doesn't support your pet view. Which is fine, that's your right, I'm only pointing it out :)

If cheap pyrite is that important to you stockpile some when prices are low. Craft all the cheap enhancers you want through the dry, high MU times. Make a deal with a crafter to use your cheap pyrite and craft enhancers for you.

And since you choose to revert to personal attack and insults when the poverty of your arguments becomes obvious, I reckon that's the only ideas I'll bother to put forward in demonstration. And that took me about 2 seconds to think up.

Surely with a bit of pondering you can find others.

(oh, btw I am CERTAIN stacking pyrite would NOT be hoarding in that case either...umm...would it? Or is that just a shrewd and creative economic decision? Hmm? mmmkay! :))

The Damage Per Pec is only part of the equation when determining the true overall economy of the hunt. Its one piece of the puzzle.

For example: Igni L1000 + A106 - Tier 0 = 2.959 DPP & 40.98 DPS

...and then Tier 5 damage enhanced: 2.933 DPP & 55.11 DPS

Versus Feffox Guardian, which way costs less? Factor regen, armor decay, heal costs, and TP chip uses from crit hit deaths.

Damage enhanced, you are doing 34% more DPS which means 34% less regen, 34% less armor decay, 34% less heal costs, etc etc... Actually, factoring regen, it works to be more than 34% defensive savings.

True - damage per pec is only part of the equation , consumables and resources for them another and many more...
Cost to kill have many factors that contribute , i mentioned enhancers wich MU depend directly on problems discussed in this thread.
And we are in thread wich talk about scarsity of pyrite wich can cause enchancers with MU 400% - 500%.
I bet many know all about hmm "eco" during MM when enhancers were at 400 to 500%.
At MU 500% you will not have problems to find and buy enhancers, also enhancers for armor - you get less damage and enhancers for fap - you heal less often , - all win/win maybe for you but not for me.
You mentioned that you get pissed with pyrite at 240% and with enhancers at 400%+.
But still because you have savings 34% on evrything is ok for you?
In case that im realy "flat out wrong" as you said then i must suppose that you are realy lucky man - appart of 34% of savings on evrything you must have good loot and many globals to pay consumables at 500% MU.

Im getting a good chuckle out of the bad logic in this thread :laugh:

You choose to ignore any evidence that doesn't support your pet view. Which is fine, that's your right, I'm only pointing it out :)

What evidence? You haven't presented any evidence... do you think that your opinion is evidence?

If cheap pyrite is that important to you stockpile some when prices are low. Craft all the cheap enhancers you want through the dry, high MU times.

Thats the worst advice ever... you dont know what you are talking about... stockpiling high MU% resources is extremely risky. I hope no one takes your advice and ends up losing a ton of ped because of it. Balance changes, EU is dynamic, and prices fall. Since 2005, Ive lost more ped on falling prices in stackable resources then you have deposited in the whole time you have played EU.

Additionally, hoarding Pyrite is exactly the problem we are talking about in this thread.... Its why Sledge is asking for an increase in the cap.

Plus there is no point in tying up tens of thousands of PED in Pyrite, or any resource. Instead, I could use that ped to make more ped, or I could use it for game play, something that you don't know much about

Tarcoula Stormdancer Uluru
Hunting Stats
Favorite Mob: Sabakuma
Highest Loot: 93 PED
Total Loot: 421 PED
Hunting Rank: 2 942 of 3 522

Make a deal with a crafter to use your cheap pyrite and craft enhancers for you.

Why would I do that? Thats also a really bad idea... I can just make my own enhancers, seldom though do i have time, so ill just buy them on auction. Buying them is FAR CHEAPER than crafting them or having someone else craft for me.

Tarcoula Stormdancer Uluru
Crafting Stats
Favorite Item: NA.
Highest Loot: NA. PED
Total Loot: NA. PED
Crafting Rank: NA. of

Have you even touched the crafting machine in this whole year that you have been playing EU? Not one single crafting global and you are here on the forum giving people advice on crafting? Are you kidding?

Let me guess.. you think that you know everything, dont you?

And since you choose to revert to personal attack and insults when the poverty of your arguments becomes obvious,

Your memory certainly cant be that poor, can it?

In that post, you are first accusing me of being intellectually lazy, to say the least... then you equating the request of MA increasing the cap to a child running to mommy. And then you accuse me of somehow causing an expense for other players.

Im positive that its easy to argue that the reverse of all three of those is the reality.

And then we have your socialism comments... It kinda sounded like you are calling me a socialist which couldn't be further from the truth... I don't even know what to make from your comment except to assume that you think that everything pertaining to economics that you don't understand is socialism.

You have extremely limited game play experience and virtually zero comprehension of game mechanics. The only possible two solutions to the limited availability of Pyrite is for MindArk to increase the cap, or for that person who is hoarding all of the Pyrite to sell. There isnt another solution.

This entire game hinges upon the hunting profession.. everything else revolves around it, supports it, depends in it, either directly or indirectly. With the current situation, ONE person is able to hijack the entire hunting profession thereby creating economic stress on ALL players. That kind of scenario is not balanced properly therefore a change needs to take place.

Last edited:
What evidence? You haven't presented any evidence... do you think that your opinion is evidence?

You kinda did the same thing before when I said there was no evidence that a hard cap actually existed. You quoted a vague statement from a dev and then applied you opinion of what that meant to the whole debate. :wise:

Pot, kettle. Kettle this is pot. I think you 2 should be friends. :yup:

Here are a few thoughts about this.

This is a serious issue. There are many people manipultating the market and thus controlling professions and prices. This is no easy issue to solve on MindArks part as well. They can't just ban people and raising the cap would effectively cause great damage to the enhancer market.

While I am unsure an ore cap exists, it makes sense. It is an issue as well that there is no hard evidence for it. And as well, MindArk will likely not adress the public about this as a response would most likely shed a bit of light on the system which they surely do not want to do.

Have you ever considered that pyrite is just capped to a weekly amount mined or something? And when enhancer demand exceeds this (which could have happened with migration) it naturally pushed up the price?

Then again I know little about pyrite trading. Surely others know better about it and if there is an ore cap.

Also, Storm, you should go learn a little more about this game as you are making yourself look extremely stupid.

Last edited:
and i think this goes to the same box with the "there is no personal lootpool" just to fuck with players.. and they all giggle in the office

If this is the amount of confidence, or trust, that you have in the team behind the game, perhaps it is time for you to move on to another place. Or are you just here for some trolling...?

Back