Wireless (WiFi) Connection Help

Art Jennifer

Elite
Lady Jennifer Art
Hey Guys,

I do not know where to put this and I am not sure what I am searching for and how to go about doing this.

I have seen quite a few posts on here helping with tech stuff so, I thought this would be a good place to start with, as well as a local computer shop tomorrow, however I'd rather go in knowing what I need.

First:

I have a Wireless internet router down stairs. Full signal all is strong down there.
I am 2 floors above on the other side of the house where the signal is weak.

Now.. at my parents home, they have another router upstairs to erm "spread" the signal around the house.

Second:

I have no idea, or well little to what I am doing.

I believe I need http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=430580031 (wireless access point)

If I get one of these and put it in the hall way, is it as simple as plugging it in?

Some advice would be much appreciated !

Thanks,

Lady J

Another router only increases collisions. You could try a repeater or just drop cable and go hard wired.

Routers are bad for gaming especially if you are doing other bandwidth intensive operations like streaming video etc. Routers life span is also greatly reduced by multiple devices on a router since all packets from all devices are sent to all devices connected wirelessly.

My house is hard connected to switches .. one on each floor and then a separate router connected to the main switch for mobile devices.

So in short.. use a repeater.

Check the connection type. Sky & Virgin media often offer routers that have 2 types of connection. One is 2G and the other is 5g. There's a big difference between those two and it can affect signal strenght. If you have that, then try switching between the two upstairs. 2G is supposedly better at longer ranges.

It can also be your PC's fault. Shitty wireless adapter can cause problems with signal strength too.

Or as previously mentioned, you can simply get a network cable and extend it to your room upstairs, just be careful of tripping on the wire

you need either a "wireless range extender" or a "wireless access point"

in order to use a wireless access point you will need to make sure your current router can be used with one. If so, then just buy a wireless access point at your local geek store and plug it in via Ethernet cable to a port on your current router that you would normally connect a computer into.

Mind you, this will only work as designed and at full available bandwidth when the new access point is HARDWIRED to the existing router. Using a range extender on your current wifi will cause your connection to be slow. This is because the current wireless signal is weak at the physical location you want it to be strong, putting in an extender at that weak point only makes that weak point more accessible.....

this is why the best option is to hardwire an access point and put that access point within range of you wifi device on the second floor.

Also the newer routers tend to give better signal strength at range. I was using a draytek 2820 but it's wireless was rubbish - only 2 rooms away and the signal was gone with barely any throughput.

When I got fibre I bought a Asus RT-N66U and it's far better e.g. in the same room the draytek was failing the Asus was maxing out a 60Mb fibre connection in 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Even EU with it's wifi issues works perfectly.

Back