Steps towards fixing the karma system

morgoth

Provider
I enjoy hunting pirates or fighting people who are willing to fight for fun in space. However I ran into a real stumper the other day. This player had an "unsavory" reputation quad, and some name that really sounded pirate'ish. But!!! what if he just bought that quad and had a pirate'ish name, but never pirated. Why would someone want to buy an unsavory quad? Well you cant always see the quads reputation in item info, and that completely wrecks what would be a major factor in a quads value.

Karma levels/points should be show inside the item information specifically for quad-wing interceptor (L)'s.

People are willing to pay for higher level karma quads, and not willing to pay normal prices for negative karma rating quads. This tag to the item effects it's value and should be displayed on item info since it is readily view able when placed on the ground.

So aside from it just making sense that it should show, it would to some become like clothing. Just a statement having a higher karma quad, and those willing to buy low would know they are buying from a pirate and getting a ship that's "wanted".

It's an easy fix, MA toss us spacers a bone :p

I think karma should be attached to the avatar and not the vehicle.

The avatar does have a large effect on the karma, but I think I know what you mean. Having it just on the avatar?

I think the premise of the current system is quite nice, with the vast amount of varying levels, and the exponential way in which the levels are gained.

I like that karma is reversible, that it can come back around.

And with basic knowledge on the system, someone who inadvertently buys a quad with a karma tag which they don't fancy, can easily enough flip it back around. It doesn't seem to be such an issue.

That opens up the other debate though, that with a little knowledge and ability, they karma tags are easily manipulated.

Having a quads own points displayed would be a neat little feature, and certainly a little bonus if trying to sell a really high karmad quad. However these "points" are so heavily influenced by the pilot that it may lead to all sorts of other issues.

The avatar does have a large effect on the karma, but I think I know what you mean. Having it just on the avatar?

I think the premise of the current system is quite nice, with the vast amount of varying levels, and the exponential way in which the levels are gained.

I like that karma is reversible, that it can come back around.

And with basic knowledge on the system, someone who inadvertently buys a quad with a karma tag which they don't fancy, can easily enough flip it back around. It doesn't seem to be such an issue.

That opens up the other debate though, that with a little knowledge and ability, they karma tags are easily manipulated.

Having a quads own points displayed would be a neat little feature, and certainly a little bonus if trying to sell a really high karmad quad. However these "points" are so heavily influenced by the pilot that it may lead to all sorts of other issues.

Yes, the karma should be attached exclusively to the avatar and have nothing to do with the ship he's using. The fact that we can trade arround ships and pass the karma on makes no sense whatsoever.

Just my opinion.

Well, for 99.5% of players the karma system means nothing, so yeah any changes would most likely be an improvement.

I agree that karma should be rated mostly towards the avatar, however I believe it should remain part of the quad too.

I mean what do you think would sale for more, a off the shelf fokker dr.I triplane or the one Manfred von Richthofen flew?

Point being I believe displaying the karma points a vehicle has will only enrich spaces interaction with planetary economy.

@aia - ya I agree karma is easily screwed with if you have, or have a friend with a really high and a really low karma ship. But for that to get fixed they'd need to do a remake on the karma system mechanics in general, and I doubt they will do that just now with so much focus being allocated to taming. But listing a vehicles karma on the item info is a much easier fix, something small they could toss us with little effort to show they care kinda :confused:

If there were a way to see the karma of a ship, for example one you're looking at in auction, then ship karma would be more useful.

I agree. Space, Karma and space skills need a huge overhaul. A brand new noob should not have the skills to fly a Quad.

I agree. Space, Karma and space skills need a huge overhaul. A brand new noob should not have the skills to fly a Quad.

But that's what's so beautiful about space, anyone with a quad and a kismet can compete ^^ It's an equalizer!

But that's what's so beautiful about space, anyone with a quad and a kismet can compete ^^ It's an equalizer!

^ what he said.

Space is about the players skill flying more then skill points ingame and should remain that way.

Back