Help: Motherboard?

S4400Salvation

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Shaman 4400 Salvation
Greetings, i am having an issue which is not EU related.

It a hardware problem, the pc starts briefly like 1/2 sec then reboots continuously not being able to reach the "beep" process. (all lights do go on)

I figured out the pc was able to start if i took the processor out, but as soon as i clicked the processor(s) in the same issue.

That led me to believe if the pc would start without a processor the fault wouldn't be with those processors or power supply(s), would i be correct to assume a pin of the processor socket on the motherboard might be bend/broken, which is the cause of the failiure to boot normally.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

It's possible that your processor is broke :(

Look at the bottom of the processor to see if all pins are present.

Maybe you can borrow a compatible processor from someone else and test it to see if you computer correctly continues to start.

It's possible your processor is broke :(

Look at the bottom of the processor to see if all pins are present.

Maybe you can borrow a compatible processor from someone else and test it to see if you computer correctly continues to start.

Thing is i did try out 2 different processors and gave me the same issue, no boot.

After i took the processors out it did boot (started up), shouldn't it be a motherboard issue, pin on the board are broken?

Thing is i did try out 2 different processors and gave me the same issue, no boot.

After i took the processors out it did boot (started up), shouldn't it be a motherboard issue, pin on the board are broken?

Is the fan on the processor working when you turn your computer on?
Hmm might be a motherboard problem...

The same thing also happens if ur PSU for some reason cannot take the load it is being put through. Seems like a faulty PSU to me , so dont rule that out..

PS: Have u added any graphic cards of late as that pretty much means it would be the PSU issue which cannot take on the additional load from graphics card

Last edited:
Is the fan on the processor working when you turn your computer on?

Yup all fans including cpu fan works very briefly, power light on motherboard is on continuously.

The same thing also happens if ur PSU for some reason cannot take the load it is being put through. Seems like a faulty PSU to me , so dont rule that out..

Tried out 2 different power supply's (500w/550w), same issue, have one of those currently working in a different system with no issues. (tried both power supplys in different system, worked good)

The pc can start up if i take out the processors but as soon as i click them in it stops, so it makes me think the problems starts when the clicking happends. (faulty pin on motherboard?)

I`m with Div here. Had the same issue twice on two different PCs and in both cases it was the power supply. So maybe try a different PSU.

I`m with Div here. Had the same issue twice on two different PCs and in both cases it was the power supply. So maybe try a different PSU.

Yup got 2 PSU and both work in different system.

Tried out 2 different power supply's (500w/550w),

Should have tried a higher watt PSU e.g. 1000W.

500W is on the low side if you consider all the power modern high spec gaming pc's consume especially Graphics cards. Have you switched to a new graphics card recently? or added any other new hardware?

Should have tried a higher watt PSU e.g. 1000W.

500W is on the low side if you consider all the power modern high spec gaming pc's consume especially Graphics cards. Have you switched to a new graphics card recently? or added any other new hardware?

I currently have a better graphics card (radeon hd 5830) working on the 500W with no issues, i did purchase a ASUS R7 250X for the new system which works fine on both PSU's.

The pc can start if i take processors out, so that should take out the faulty psu option.

Maybe you can try a CMOS/BIOS reset by removing the battery or the jumper:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000976.htm

Put the cmos battery back in same issue won't boot up.

PS: Have u added any graphic cards of late as that pretty much means it would be the PSU issue which cannot take on the additional load from graphics card

Tried to boot the system up without the graphics card in same problem, so that has to take out that option the psu can't handle the extra load.

The pc boots up with all cables and hardware connected as long as i dont have a cpu in it.

Try booting up with only one stick of RAM. Move that stick from one socket to another until you find one that works. If this doesnt help and you have limited knowledge of computers I suggest taking it to the store for repairs, before you break anything else.

If you have a decent knowledge check if you have bent pins in your CPU, if you have any RMA the chip to get a replacement. If you can't RMA for whatever reason then try repairing the bent pin/pins with a credit card, but be very careful.

Try booting up with only one stick of RAM. Move that stick from one socket to another until you find one that works. If this doesnt help and you have limited knowledge of computers I suggest taking it to the store for repairs, before you break anything else.

If you have a decent knowledge check if you have bent pins in your CPU, if you have any RMA the chip to get a replacement. If you can't RMA for whatever reason then try repairing the bent pin/pins with a credit card, but be very careful.

Do have the knowledge.

Yeah someone suggested the ram thing too will try to see if system starts without any ram in there.

No RMA remains on the chip will see if i can find some bend pins.

Tried booting without any ram chips in and same issue, no boot.

Last edited:
First some info. Was this system working before with this CPU, or is this a new build you are working on? (Upgrade)

Second, what are the components? (Motherboard, CPU) example: Gigabyte GA-EX58A-UD5 (rev.1.0), Intel i7 965 extreme.

Third, you tried two CPUs and got the same error, does this mean you have two of the same motherboards as to try the the first CPU with the other motherboard? If so see if the CPU works with that.

Lastly a quick check to see if you have installed the CPU in the right orientation. Check the manual to see if you have pin 1 lined up in the socket correctly. This happens more often the people think! :ahh: This of course depends on wether or not this is a new build or upgrade. ;)

If the system worked before and now it doesn't, it could be in need of a bios update, or your board is dead. Wont know until the earlier info is answered. :)

You removed the battery but I would still do the CMOS reset by putting the bios jumper on pin 1 and 2

Issues seem to be power related, aka. insufficient power on one of the rails.
If the PSU is ok, try an optical inspection on the power lines going to CPU (2 lines of capacitors and mosfets guarding right near to CPU socket). If you see anything out of the order, than RMA the motherboard, is nothing else you can do.

Another possible issue is the compatiblity between PSU and motherboard.
Happened to me on a Gigabyte motherboard with Atom onboard + Seasonic PSU.
Seems that they are incompatible so I switched the PSU to an Antec (from another PC) and all worked smooth.
The symptoms were the same as yours.

PS. Not all the Gigabyte mobos are having problem with Seasonic CPU. Only that particular Atom onboard model had problems. Now my Seasonic works perfect with another Gigabyte high-end mobo, and the Atom one with the Antec PSU. :)

Last edited:
Had this issue recently when I tried to upgrade a customer PC.
System is getting in such loop due to memory failure (without making any beeps).
Check if the memory is locked in the slot or try to change with others to see if the problem can be fixed.
tip: test ,before you buy anything new

Last edited:
The problem turned out to be my original thought, motherboard failure, after replacing that all systems are go for Entropia :).

Back