Testing automated limiting of posts in Selling forum.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding but this really going to screw with
  • Bidding in forum based auctions
  • Having a dialogue in a sell thread to answer relevant questions.
  • Adding a "Sold" post, depending on timing of sale.

And you must not forget trolling in other peoples sales thread. This is what I hate most about it :D

-rep to 711 :mad:

Only an idiot can do this fuckin update. (Now you can take offense and ban me)
I cannot bump only one current selling thread (I do it once per day), last bumped 09-14-2014. I have no posts in last 2 days in Selling section
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?265452-AS-129-Paradox-and-Chelydra-M-parts.
Thank you very much.

MaxP-1.jpg

In addition, now there will be no opportunity to ask a seller in any other thread, because there will be a limit too. Auctions now are impossible.

Creating a new forum only for selling stuff on other domain is not a problem, because the rules here are becoming more stupid. The problem is that ppl will not go, two forums uncomfortable.

And the action of 777 and mods without discussion with the users... I doubt in the sobriety of their thinking.

Yes, yes all what I wrote against rules, but integrating these idiotic updates is also against rules.

PS Multi-accounting is a great idea, yes, from different IP's. And will have to do.

Last edited:
Another thought, instead of bid wars on auction threads, we will now have a convoluted pm system that will almost certainly end with lower sale prices for the sellers.

-rep to 711 :mad:

Only an idiot can do this fuckin update. (Now you can take offense and ban me)
I cannot bump only one current selling thread (I do it once per day), last bumped 09-14-2014. I have no posts in last 2 days in Selling section.

Apparently you failed to read (or understand) the word "testing" in the thread title. I am testing the new throttling feature, and it should be expected that it may not work perfectly while the various settings are tweaked over the course of a few days.

Yes, yes all what I wrote against rules, but integrating these updates is also against rules.

Since you obviously have zero respect for the rules of this forum, you will indeed be temp banned for multiple intentional violations, including unnecessary childish insults.

PS Multi-accounting is a great idea, yes, from different IP's. And will have to do.

In which case you will be permanently banned.

lol @ over-reaction!

on the basis we are working some bugs out i dont have a problem with the idea, it obviously needs to be tweaked a bit to make it practical tho.

But Im kinda lost on how a forum auction is ment to work now... i guess all bids will be on pm, so we have lost the transparency of who has bid what... would be pretty uncomfortable to bid against the "unnamed mystery bidder" who may or may not exist.
i guess the advantage moves to the seller, who can now just tell us of bid that may or may not exist in order to bump up prices....

this might reduce the admin for the mods but it shouldnt be at everyone elses expense. surly there's a middle ground we could find where we can keep some trading transparency

Well now I don't have to skip one page at least when I see a certain name under a thread. Nice to see the spam problem being looked into.

A more active ban hammer could deal with spammers without penalising others.

i love this idea, the forum was first created to showcase intrest in items, the deal happens ingame. And as some pointed out that i will ruin some ppl with sales threads, you can buy a shop in game.. sale and buy thread was and is just a page to let ppl know you are buying or selling.

I belive this sell thread is ruining the shop owners, i mean.. why buy a shop when you can sell on the forum and just store your items in your storage?

Just my 2 cents.

Expansion of my last point.

Old system:

Player 1: bid
Player 2: bid
Player 3: bid
Player 4: bid

etc, etc, etc.

Under this system, bids occur in the thread, and everyone immediately knows what the high bid is so they can make determinations on what they will do next.

New System

Player 1: bid by pm
Seller: Updates original post, because he can't waste his valuable post quota. Many threads run the risk of ending here because nobody sees the bid that was posted, as the thread doesn't get bumped.

**assuming someone actually sees the thread and bids anyway**

Player 2: bid by pm
Seller: Updates, original post, pm's Player 1 because he might not otherwise be notified of a higher bid.
Player 1: bid by pm
Player 3: bid by pm
Seller: Updates original post, pm's all three players to notify them that Player 1 has the high bid, even though Player 3 bid the same number. Player 3 quits bidding because he suspects favoritism.
Player 4: bid by pm
Seller: Updates original post, pm's all four players to notify them of the new winning bid. While he is pming Player 1, Player 2 sends him a pm with a higher bid, and he has to start all over again.

Which of these two systems is going to cause more problems?

If there is so much bidding on an item that it exceeds the amount of posts allowed by the bidders, wouldn't the item be better listed on the in game auction per rule 5.1?

...The purpose of the PlanetCalypsoForum Trading section is to facilitate deals not easily accomplished using the existing mechanisms available within Entropia Universe...

If there is so much bidding on an item that it exceeds the amount of posts allowed by the bidders, wouldn't the item be better listed on the in game auction per rule 5.1?

...The purpose of the PlanetCalypsoForum Trading section is to facilitate deals not easily accomplished using the existing mechanisms available within Entropia Universe...

If a seller such as myself prefers to allow items and cld's as part of the transaction, then it certainly is not easily accomplished by placing an item in the auction.

It is also impossible to do this when you are selling item sets, such as armor, or gun/amp combos.

The current setting is 2 posts/1 thread per day. Note that creating a new thread also counts as a post with regard to the daily posts limit.

Whilst restricting the number of posts / threads some users create is a good idea and overdue, the above is way too restrictive.

You're effectively ruining the trade section of the forum for everyone because of abuse from a small minority of posters.

A better initial setting (IMO) would have been 5 posts /1 thread per day to test with.

I have increased the Selling subforum throttling settings to the following:

• 2 threads max per day
  • 6 posts max per day

Note that creating a thread also counts as a post, so if you create 2 new threads you would only be able to make 4 other posts in the Selling subforum that day.

Apparently you failed to read (or understand) the word "testing" in the thread title. I am testing the new throttling feature, and it should be expected that it may not work perfectly while the various settings are tweaked over the course of a few days.

Since you obviously have zero respect for the rules of this forum, you will indeed be temp banned for multiple intentional violations, including unnecessary childish insults.

In which case you will be permanently banned.

Hope the testing period is short...

As this forum is an auction house more or less and would die without the tradeing section i can not
Understand why you would want to make it worse and not better

A more active ban hammer could deal with spammers without penalising others.

I'm afraid this is the only way you're going to solve the problem. Limit thread bumps/new threads from any particular user to 2 per day, but do it intelligently.

Even 6 posts as currently set can cause big problems for auction threads. Or... put auction threads in their own forum which allows unlimited posts.

Not sure I understand how many threads you can bump per day... can Anysteoz bump 6 different selling threads every day? If so, it's too many.

Last edited:
What about limiting to one open sales thread in this section per account.

I don't think the bumping once a day is a problem more that a few of the retraders create 10 sales thread for every tiny little item they sell and then bump all of them once a day. There isn't many of these either and a few of them have posted in this thread already so you don't have to look far :D

What about limiting to one open sales thread in this section per account.

I don't think the bumping once a day is a problem more that a few of the retraders create 10 sales thread for every tiny little item they sell and then bump all of them once a day. There isn't many of these either and a few of them have posted in this thread already so you don't have to look far :D

I think one is too restrictive, a person may be selling very different items that may appeal to different people for example: old armor, skills and mindforce items.

So, maybe three open threads per account would be a better compromise? :scratch2:

Hey I've got an idea... forget the limits and just create two "New Posts" buttons, one for Buying/Selling and one for everything else. Problem solved.

Wouldn't this be the simplest and fairest solution? The problem being the New Posts section is full of rebumps of sales items, forcing many of us to turn off sales threads so we can see the actual discussions, which means the people selling stuff don't get the visibility they need. Two "New Posts" buttons would allow me to view sales threads once every day like I want to, but most of my time would be spent on the Discussion threads only.

Last edited:
I haven't posted in the trading threads for nearly 36 hours, and I am still locked out.

I haven't posted in the trading threads for nearly 36 hours, and I am still locked out.

Well, I have not made a post of any kind anywhere in the Selling forum for over 55 hours and I also am locked out. Here is my last post in that forum:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...sland-shares&p=3290490&viewfull=1#post3290490

Here is what the forum says when I try to bump my selling threads

You have reached the maximum number of posts per day for the Selling forum.

Seems like the feature doesnt work at all.

I am still not able to post in the selling forum

What about the idea I mentioned previously: simply create an additional new "New Posts" button that shows only Buying and Selling threads. This would allow people to post as many selling threads as they wish while leaving the discussion section neat and tidy.

What about the idea I mentioned previously: simply create an additional new "New Posts" button that shows only Buying and Selling threads. This would allow people to post as many selling threads as they wish while leaving the discussion section neat and tidy.

tbh i think it misses the larger problem

What would that be?

The problem being the New Posts section is full of rebumps of sales items, forcing many of us to turn off sales threads so we can see the actual discussions, which means the people selling stuff don't get the visibility they need.

The problem is not the rebumps of sales threads. That might be a problem for you when you use the New Posts or Forum Spy features but it's not the reason this feature is being tested.

From what I gather, the actual problem is simply the sheer workload on PCF mods that the whole selling sub-forum generates. Much of which likely stems from off-topic, trolling, price disagreement, or other similar things.

It has now been exactly three full days (to the minute) that's 72 full hours that I've not been able to post anything at all in the selling forum. Clearly I'm not the only one experiencing this.

The problem is not the rebumps of sales threads. That might be a problem for you when you use the New Posts or Forum Spy features but it's not the reason this feature is being tested.

From what I gather, the actual problem is simply the sheer workload on PCF mods that the whole selling sub-forum generates. Much of which likely stems from off-topic, trolling, price disagreement, or other similar things.

Well, I guess the PCF staff can comment but I don't see that being a problem if the trading threads are separated from the discussion threads.

No amount of automatic limiting will be an ideal situation. You can't have the computer decide what is a valuable post and what's trolling. Only the moderators. If the job is too big, then get more volunteer mods specifically for the trading section.

Last edited:
I may be endangering my own ability to post tomorrow, but I think this throttling system counts all posts, not just ones in the trading thread. So if you make any 6 posts in 24 hours, you are restricted from posting in trading. That was at least the hypothesis I tested over the last 24 hours and it seems to have worked.

Edit: Net effect: traders (75% of the active PCF membership?) will never post in any threads but their own sales threads.

I may be endangering my own ability to post tomorrow, but I think this throttling system counts all posts, not just ones in the trading thread. So if you make any 6 posts in 24 hours, you are restricted from posting in trading. That was at least the hypothesis I tested over the last 24 hours and it seems to have worked.

Edit: Net effect: traders (75% of the active PCF membership?) will never post in any threads but their own sales threads.

I also believe this is true

Back