Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

Joakim|MindArk

Former MindArk Official
We upgraded portions of the Entropia Universe hardware infrastructure in August and the time has come for the review from you, the players.
So tell us what you think about your current lag experience inside Entropia Universe.

I personally have not seen a lag with storage's, I has a few minor ones with the repair terminal.

When it comes to hunting or healing activities, I hardly get any fails.

All that I notice is server lag when you cross server lines, which is unchanged, and a slight lag (and buggy loading) when I use my teleportation chip in water area's.

(FYI I live in the Netherlands, so my ping could/should be much lower than those in other parts of the world.)

*edit*
Not sure what is causing these short freezes sometimes-PC, connection or what?

Yes, that happens to me too. Randomly my game freezes, but recovers itself in ~10-15 seconds.

Last edited:
I noticed bigger short-lag(when avatar, mob etc. show up in radar). Not sure what is causing these short freezes sometimes-PC, connection or what? But overall - excellent, 9-12 hours without disconnecting and big lag. That's without visitig some event-mob areas.

Can only talk for myself but I`m under the impression that it got much better. It seems that its less laggy for me. Still getting disconnects every now and then but thats a different story and I`m not sure if its caused by the game or my ISP.

did not noticed any change.
I get more "crash to desktop" lately - maybe that's more a problem of the region where i was hunting.
I don't have ctd on other places.

J

Edit: i get less loot lag - only thing i noticed

Last edited:
Nice to have this poll
Was nice when there was some server upgrade for a couple of days until there was that mad lag that we even got a notice about
After that, gone back to the regular lag, chat lag, some tp lag here and there as usual, random disconects and all that.

So i voted unchanged

overall lag is way less, but now and then there is still some loot lag.
especially Treasure Island is still laggy.
but overall alot improved atm.

I notice an improvement in some places.
For example @ Omegaton I have access to my appartment by the televator much quicker.
But in some areas there is no difference tho.
Also,
for couple days now I noticed a very akward behavior from my radar! Mobs or avatars doesn't appear or disappeared and then came back etc. This "radar lag" affects my recent hunting runs, because my radar "are my eyes"!!! especially with high aggro mobs. This is something new.
Voted unchanged!

PS this radar lag appear around Fort Victoria mostly since I hunt alot there lately. So maybe it is local server issue or something.

Last edited:
I didnt notice better performance in august- waiting on auction, waiting on storage, waiting on crafting, freezing when shooting, waiting on personal trade, sometimes personal trade was imposible at all, waiting TP to execute.....
I asked my self where are those announced better servers or hardware upgrades.

I dont freeze when shooting for a week or maybe few days.
Somehow freezing stopped in same time as MA got some team voice issues.

Overall better, a few Days ago (around tuesday?) though I got some server lag spikes (causing "internal error" trying to open storage boxes).

As for CTDs also better. Not completely gone though, on last Oratan event on Arkadia I got maybe two CTDs, but it's better than Before.

Thank you for asking Joakim.

I voted Unchanged as I'm comparing performance to a year + ago.

Some slight loot lag on Calypso, but quite rare and seems to be at the expected busy times.

I seldom see any network delay when Tracert to login.entropiauniverse.com, my ISP is BT in the UK.

Dirk

Better but still lots of "Action failed"

Compared to August, lag experience is better but I still have some awkward "Action Failed" yellow messages while hunting, and the usual lag when mobs are spawning.
It's kinda annoying when you have "Action Failed" twice in a row but the mob still hurts you and you found yourself dead in the field. :mad:

PS> and no, is not about the Internet connection, I have 500Mbps through optic fiber... so is not about that!

just after the update it was like a dream no lag and a great playing experience... Not quite sure what happened then, the lag seems to have crept back in and now the usual hourly lag spikes are back with a vengance.

So, its better than when u had the hardware failure, but its still a way off from being acceptable

I also voted unchanged. Comparing lag and other issues from before the hardware failure is actually a little worse in some areas (lots of failed messages while hunting and pauses while hunting for up to 5 seconds, crash to desktop and lost connection to EU) and better in others (delay in loot, NPC interaction, storage and crafting use).

I also voted unchanged. Comparing lag and other issues from before the hardware failure is actually a little worse in some areas (lots of failed messages while hunting and pauses while hunting for up to 5 seconds, crash to desktop and lost connection to EU) and better in others (delay in loot, NPC interaction, storage and crafting use).

+1 (too short)

I voted better, but I have to say it is very slight. It seems better consistency, but not a huge improvement of lag instances.
My question to the community is : how was the lag on Arkadia with the recent Oratan event? I wasn't there, and that is a great test of server lag. That is the real issue I want to see get better: the ability to have many avatars doing something and it's not super lag fest forcing you to play in safe mode just to get by.

I think I was hoping for better than it is currently.

Most of the areas work well for me, but I have massive problems in the eastern part of Amethera (Sakura, Takuta and north of that). When I try to run, my ava gets set back every 3 steps, so I never get anywhere. For example, when I select 'operate' for the Sakura tp from some distance and start autorun, my ava often stops after a few attempts and I get an error message that I failed to reach the tp. Duh.

Cannot really play in that area right now. :(

I voted better, but I have to say it is very slight. It seems better consistency, but not a huge improvement of lag instances.
My question to the community is : how was the lag on Arkadia with the recent Oratan event? I wasn't there, and that is a great test of server lag. That is the real issue I want to see get better: the ability to have many avatars doing something and it's not super lag fest forcing you to play in safe mode just to get by.

I think I was hoping for better than it is currently.

The oratan were pretty lag-free this last time, it was refreshing :laugh:

Though, I voted 'Unchanged' cause overall there is still an unacceptable amount of lag in this game, considering the amount of money people spend here...

Lag on Caly seems to be worse than on Ark. The server fixes improved terminal lag but it feels like we have more lag when loading content that comes within visible range.

The new i feelt is thats is a major loot lag for a shoort time just Before a global or hof " just a moment " just when i am about to loot the mob and also a shoort lag just before a "ninja mob" turns up beside me " it manifests itself in that I can not begin shoot until the ninja mob pops up".
The result was that I thought you created the Modified loot " part II " and I was even more annoyed at all these " ninja mobs ".

Because it was this new things i felt in the game i voted - Worse.

:mad:

The oratan were pretty lag-free this last time, it was refreshing :laugh:

Though, I voted 'Unchanged' cause overall there is still an unacceptable amount of lag in this game, considering the amount of money people spend here...

Oratan event was better but i still had to relog several times to get rid of all those bubles upon death that system do not remove.
And on relog i got several times message that servers are down because of maintence so some sync is still missing probably.

Overall on Calypso I feel that there is still some hit and miss lag issues. Jurra Plateau for the LT wave event but i guess with how busy that area can get some should be expected. Also around Sakura City as was mentioned. Also I get random problems of TT and repair lags all over the planet. I won't really even get into Arkadia since they have their own forums.

Overall on Calypso I feel that there is still some hit and miss lag issues. Jurra Plateau for the LT wave event but i guess with how busy that area can get some should be expected. Also around Sakura City as was mentioned. Also I get random problems of TT and repair lags all over the planet. I won't really even get into Arkadia since they have their own forums.

Bjorn is asking about Entropia UNIVERSE lag, not just Calypso lag.

Lag for me is much worse than it was 2 years ago (haven't been played much in the last 18 months until the last month or so, I've been on actively again).

The worst is when I am hunting, massive numbers of failures in a row, complete lag outs while shooting/healing/swapping, etc. It's really annoying when I'm hunting big mobs, where healing is crucial, and I'm jamming my hotkeys and nothing happens for a solid 10-15 seconds. Then the lag stops and I'm down to 1 HP and barely getting my regen chip off in time. The other issue is while shooting (using auto tool, of course) it just stops, even if I click the mouse nothing happens. 10 seconds later, my gun will start firing again.

This is the type of lag I remember dealing with in pre-gold, and its unacceptable. Oh, and guess what, I've rubberbanded a few times lately as well (mostly while flying). I haven't seen that in 7 years...

I'm using a high quality service provider with a 50mb broadband connection, and I don't lag in any of my other online games (Wildstar, Planetside, etc). So, I highly doubt this issue is coming from my end.

Still love this game, of course, but some of these lagouts become irritating when it's frequent.

The lag is a bit different these days, things like the auction and storage lag seem cleared up, but the IMPORTANT lag, the one where mobs hit you for 10 seconds, but you can't hit them is still just as bad. (It is exaggerated when you are planet hopping and reduced when you relog after you land on a new planet).

In my opinion, this hunting lag (multiple 10 second spikes and large hourly spikes) became a factor around the time you started messing with hit-boxes. (Increasing memory leak I am told by some) I was hoping that it would go away, but afaic, it's still around. I also use the world's best, highest speed ISP, since I live in a good area, and do not lag in ANY games ever on my end.

The good news is nothing got worse, I would say...but it's too early and just too convoluted at the moment to say it got better after the server switch.

Lag for me is much worse than it was 2 years ago (haven't been played much in the last 18 months until the last month or so, I've been on actively again).

The worst is when I am hunting, massive numbers of failures in a row, complete lag outs while shooting/healing/swapping, etc. It's really annoying when I'm hunting big mobs, where healing is crucial, and I'm jamming my hotkeys and nothing happens for a solid 10-15 seconds. Then the lag stops and I'm down to 1 HP and barely getting my regen chip off in time. The other issue is while shooting (using auto tool, of course) it just stops, even if I click the mouse nothing happens. 10 seconds later, my gun will start firing again.

This is the type of lag I remember dealing with in pre-gold, and its unacceptable. Oh, and guess what, I've rubberbanded a few times lately as well (mostly while flying). I haven't seen that in 7 years...

I'm using a high quality service provider with a 50mb broadband connection, and I don't lag in any of my other online games (Wildstar, Planetside, etc). So, I highly doubt this issue is coming from my end.

Still love this game, of course, but some of these lagouts become irritating when it's frequent.

This is exactly my experience, which I described in this thread:
The last few weeks i rarely have a "positive experience" with respect to stable connection and lag-free hunting. One day i had at least 15 of those cycles of trying to login, getting timeout, etc. Another day i couldn't even get the title page to load without getting timeouts. One day i would drop from game every time i looted a mob (one would think that was a corrupt file but i ran the repair and it didn't help, and then it fixed itself the next day). In general i have some hour+ periods where i stay connected and relatively low lag, but just when i'm thinking things have been fixed, i'll get a disconnect and a series of timeouts/you are already logged in bullshit before i can get back into the game.

Last night, i kept getting lag out disconnects in the middle of hunting, and long periods of time when i couldn't change weapons or loot mobs, which was very annoying.

This is using two entirely separate ISPs (i switch back and forth when the chronic issues start).

I think it started with that storm they had that blew up their old server, but it may have been before that. Some of the bugs in the system make the flakiness all the more annoying: certainly the ridiculous programming defect where, when trying to log in, it times out before you enter your gold card number, and then you get told you are already logged in, has been around since forever.

Something is definitely wrong with the EU server or ISP, and it has been bad enough that i will some days when i think i have time for EU just fire up a different game.

I can't even stand to hunt for more than an hour or so now before i get so frustrated with lagging out mid-mob.

"Funny" how you're in Florida, as well. I know i've seen tracert problems before but i don't remember them being limited to connections that come from Florida.

Anyway, MA: I've detailed server code fixes that would make such unavoidable glitches less aggravating several times before. You'll never get perfect service to everyone in the world, so why not improve the client-server logic to reduce the negative experience rather than just work on the servers?

Sunsout: i can really relate on the lag issues. I was trying to do the 40 SEG daily hunt mission and i died 4 times on one second entity. Four times! That's never happened to me, even when i did deliberate revive killing a few times for fun years ago as a "weak" hp avatar.

It would go something like this: tag the SEG and keep firing. Half the shots simply wouldn't register (no miss, no hit, and these are targeted using the mob bar because after the hit box "improvement", there's just no way to consistently manually target a jumping SEG. So i lose half my dps from that as it approaches. Then there's the little pauses as it tries to aim a the hitbox, even though it's already pointed a the hitbox. Another fraction of my dps is lost.

I switch to arson chip when it's in range, and switch back... only it doesn't switch back. 2-3 seconds later, on the third or fourth try, it switches back to main weapon. By then the SEG is hacking me to pieces. Then there are the "fail"ed shots, one per mob usually.

I fly back from revive, and pick up my vehicle... only it doesn't pick up. I wait. And wait. THREE MINUTES LATER it finally goes into my inventory.

I've never gotten so frustrated with gameplay before in the 8 years since i started participating (BTW happy birthday to me last month i guess).

I asked in soc chat about it and it seemed few were having similar problems (they're mostly in Europe), so it may be that this is a combination of the server lag we've seen lately with things like auction and inventory and that ugly problem with the telia connection to the US nodes that has reared its head in the past. I didn't do a tracert to check, though.

The point is that it's time to implement "client friendly" features that have been overdue for years. I can always count on being outdamaged by European teammates if we have weapons of even remotely similar DPS; it's been that way for years. It's time to decouple the rate that repetitive things happen from the round trip network rate.

These measures won't resolve the issues with the servers, but it will make the customer experience more fair and less frustrating.

These are just two obvious things that should be implemented that would make a huge difference:
  • when autouse tool is activated, the autouse should be serverside, not client side, and remain active during desynchronization of up to a few seconds. In the past this had the potential undesirable side effect of wasting shots, but now that untargeted shots don't use ammo, there's no more hangups. This would give everyone the true dps their weapon should have, and smooth out the little hiccups when engaged with a mob.
  • When server/client synchronization is lost for more than the few seconds that autouse remains active serverside, the mob may not attack. It's only fair if the player can't attack that the mob can't attack.

Last edited:
On Caly and Ark I've been getting total game freezes where I can't do anything for a few seconds, even if I was firing my gun it just stops. No failed messages either. Sometimes it freezes and I get a ctd.

On Ark atm I've got rubber banding mobs which I haven't seen since well before VU10.

Celeste Quarry is still a complete lagfest. Trying to craft there or move storage around takes 3-4 times longer than anywhere else in game and results in a load of popup failed messages and locked items meaning a relog.

And why does facing NW on any planet make my fps drop to 2-5 from 50+? If anyone has an answer for that and it's something I can fix I'd appreciate it :)

Seems back to 'normal' for me.

Hard to be subjective, if I play at a busy time then lag will be more noticeable than if at a non-peak time.

Platform seems pretty stable without lots of disconnections although sometimes I notice some lag when typing in chat - I can wait for 5+ seconds for my text to appear. :scratch2:

We upgraded portions of the Entropia Universe hardware infrastructure in August and the time has come for the review from you, the players.
So tell us what you think about your current lag experience inside Entropia Universe.

The over all lag is still here. I have seen that it has gotten a bit 'better' but from what I have seen in the past year the question, which I'm guessing you can not answer, is if you had to down size your overall server support? My guess would have to be yes and this last hardware update was to the few servers you have running. When can we expect you to up size the overall network? This virtual server network is just not cutting it.

But overall thank you for this post and I know you are working as hard as you can to fix the issues. +REP for the post.

Back