Losing UI control in-game

Rave

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
RP Rave Prospector
I have encountered this issue several times now, and it is VERY frustrating. My UI disappears (which is normally the hotkey "V"), however it refuses to come back up and I am unable to use my keyboard for ANYTHING. It acts as if my chat window is active, so I can't control anything via the keyboard. However, the chat window is not active and my UI is gone. I can't even hit ESC to quit the game, I have to open my task manager to close EU. The game isn't frozen, and I can still do anything using my mouse.

Why is it that after 11+ years in this game, there are still some very ridiculous bugs?

I have encountered this issue several times now, and it is VERY frustrating. My UI disappears (which is normally the hotkey "V"), however it refuses to come back up and I am unable to use my keyboard for ANYTHING. It acts as if my chat window is active, so I can't control anything via the keyboard. However, the chat window is not active and my UI is gone. I can't even hit ESC to quit the game, I have to open my task manager to close EU. The game isn't frozen, and I can still do anything using my mouse.

Why is it that after 11+ years in this game, there are still some very ridiculous bugs?

11 is totally irrelevant - there was rewrite of social interface not so long time ago.
If this is a bug then it is pretty new one.

Check if you didn't accidentally switched ot other UI profile with other shortcuts, easy to not notice if it's switched off

is your keyboard wired or wifi?
Just a silly thought came to me reading this.....:silly2:
that isn't from the game but you need new batteries

I don't have that problem

I double checked everything, as this is not the first time its happened to me. I cannot even swap hotkey sets, if that were the case that they changed. Regardless, ESC doesn't work, and that isn't a different binding in any hotkey set. The few times this has happened, its been while typing. Force closing the client is the only way to fix it.

Dont think I've encountered this one.

Are you playing on Desktop or Laptop?

May as well ask what anti-virus you run too.

Dont think I've encountered this one.

Are you playing on Desktop or Laptop?

May as well ask what anti-virus you run too.

I'm running a high-end, Asus gaming laptop. And I use Webroot, don't know why that would matter. Nothing else on my computer acts up when this happens... it is quite literally just the Entropia client.

Did you try to bring UI back up with "Edit Panel" which by default is set on the "L" key?

If you can't hit escape to bring up the quit menu, or other commands don't work, and you're still on the right keyboard set, the problem is that your focus has gotten stuck on an element of the UI or stuck in aim mode. If escape doesn't work, the most reliable thing to get control back is to hit "o" a few times (to open the options window). Now if it just randomly loses control while you're typing in chat or something, then I don't know what the problem is. Maybe you've got a 3rd party program or USB device that is causing problems.

The top UP panels are still there, the hot keys and all, but when I open the command panels to manually select options, nothing happens. Next time it happens I'll take some detailed screens.

This has happened to me a few times.. but only when I happen to die while typing. It seems if you die it will take focus off chat for a sec (long enough for you to hit the V key and hide the UI) and then put focus back on chat. Atleast that is what it seemed like to me the last time this happened.

SpikE

This is because of the new chat.
Because of my hotkey setup i get it several times.

Basicaly what happens is your cursos jumps to chat. You have to press Enter and it goes back.

I'm running a high-end, Asus gaming laptop. And I use Webroot, don't know why that would matter. Nothing else on my computer acts up when this happens... it is quite literally just the Entropia client.

I just knew you'd say laptop somehow.

Do you have a cooling pad underneath it? If not, then I think it's probably just general overheating. Entropia drives most desktops mad with how much resources it uses (esp if you crank up the graphic settings)

So do you have a cooling pad underneath?

Something like this:

http://alturl.com/iem4x

What I'm reading so far from OP, I don't think this problem comes from the game itself.
Seem to me some other hardware/software "conflict" happening or laptop has some problem (maybe heat as Mega mentioned), when EU client stop responding.
security program (those who are both firewalls and antivirus are bad choice), it's also suspicious for this odd behavior sometimes.

My computer even if it is high end....getting crazy with EU client, EL tracker and LBML all together plus Fraps for Screenshots!!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
I double checked everything, as this is not the first time its happened to me. I cannot even swap hotkey sets, if that were the case that they changed. Regardless, ESC doesn't work, and that isn't a different binding in any hotkey set. The few times this has happened, its been while typing. Force closing the client is the only way to fix it.

When this happened to me I was either able to hit ESC or the toggle mouse cursor key I have assigned.
Though I think it was ESC that was working for me...
And yes this also happened to me a few times, think it has been a while now though.

This is because of the new chat.
Because of my hotkey setup i get it several times.

Basicaly what happens is your cursos jumps to chat. You have to press Enter and it goes back.

Actually maybe that was how I solved it...

What I really hate about the UI in entropia is the constant re-focusing of UI items when something happens/shows up. The best example is "Thou shall not type in any chat while waiting for the other party to accept a pvp trade..." because as soon as the bloody pvp trade windows appear they will get the focus and what you are typing will initiate hot key actions. Suddenly your entire screen is covered with all freaking UI's there are, action library, map, teleport to revive, inventory, HOF list, keymap, desktop icons etc. etc. etc. and you have to close them all before you can go on and do your trading... argarhargahrgahgr:smash::smash::cussing::cussing:

It isn't a failure of resources on my laptop because the game is still running fine and lag free. I can still run, shoot, loot, etc with a steady FPS. I just can't type or use hotkeys lol (or see the bottom UI panels). My computer isn't sluggish or anything: I can minimize and do other stuff while the game is acting silly without any issue.

It isn't overheating because 1)it has a great built-in cooling system and it's also sitting on a cooling pad and 2) when I feel the laptop, it's stone cold :cool:

As I have said, EU doesn't "stop responding".

I have tried hitting [ENTER] to close the chat to see if that's the case of the keyboard failure. It doesn't do anything. Same as [ESC] not working. Either button would deactivate chat, and neither works.

I don't have any new software or hardware interacting with my laptop, and this issue has only begun recently. Before 2 weeks ago (or so), this has never happened.

Again. EU doesn't "stop responding".

The game acts as if chat is focused, without the option of unfocusing chat.

If you can't hit escape to bring up the quit menu, or other commands don't work, and you're still on the right keyboard set, the problem is that your focus has gotten stuck on an element of the UI or stuck in aim mode.

This!

Had it happen last night.(It can be regular depending on what you do.)

I've had it happen a few times and it always involves going in or out of the chat window either by doing something other than hitting enter to leave chat or when an item/tool/situation takes the focus automatically from the chat window(TP Chip after warm up) and I believe aim mode is a player in this also.

I also feel there is more than one way to trigger this bug.

Sometimes there seems to be nothing I can do to regain focus or control of anything other than mash buttons and hope for the best or relog if I can at least get that to work.In the past I've had to go through the task manager and shut EU down as there was nothing that would work)

The only thing I can say with any confidence is that it is definitely UI related and caused/triggered by our actions.

try hitting 'tab' next time it happens

Back