Uniform Distribution Field - Excel spreadsheet

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
Afternoon guys

I have something to share with you all.... Lets stop the b1tching about mining and do something about it..

Below you find a link to a simple Excel sheet that can be used to uniformly distribute based on nature (ok fine it's a phi archimedean spiral).

What it allows one to do is to

1 ) set the size of the area to scout in (grid setting)
2 ) set the radius of your mining tool (radius setting)
3 ) set the maximum amount of claims you expect to see (Amount of Points)
4 ) set the root (root is a bit advanced, if you are math inclined you can pm me or check the formulae to see exactly how it works)

You only need to enter data into the cells marked yellow.

Download here

If you have any questions regarding the sheet, pm me or place them in this thread ...

Interesting, but let's hope MA never uses a formula like this :) I think the whole point of mining is that claims are not in a uniform distribution.

Interesting, but let's hope MA never uses a formula like this :) I think the whole point of mining is that claims are not in a uniform distribution.

If something like this is NOT used, I would classify this as gambling. It has to be fair to everyone ...

Nonsense... fair doesn't mean uniform. If there's no opportunity to do better than other players then there's no challenge, no game. By that that reasoning, MA should set the prices for you to sell your items at, and not allow any trades at different MUs, to prevent someone getting an advantage over someone else. Everyone should only be allowed to use the same kind of gun, only hunt for the same number of hours a day, and only be allowed to deposit the same amount. Risk is not gambling, it's a simulation of RL.

Last edited:
I have no idea what is your spreadsheet right there, but here is how i think mining works (with other settings, most likely)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0hpo0GgXHKucVN4SzRuT2ZsSnM/view?usp=sharing

You'll have to enable macros for it to work. Use run simulation button to simulate a few thousand drops and check simulation overall results on "Stats" worksheet.

Tinker with any green cells to customize simulation, modifying other cells may break the formulas. I can explain the thoughts behind it if you like...

I see this game as a gambling game where there's only so much you can do to improve your odds of not losing too much. For instance, the above simulation considers there's no chance that you are mining exactly at the same spot someone just mined at.

Since when does the uniform distribution have anything to do with the archimedean spiral? And why would claims in entropia be distributed like an archimedean spriral...

Since when does the uniform distribution have anything to do with the archimedean spiral? And why would claims in entropia be distributed like an archimedean spriral...

Sorry you are correct it's a Fermat's spiral not an archimedean. The reason for this is that I wanted something that is extremely easy adjust.

Just on a personal side note, it would seem that the "field" does indeed redistribute itself depending on the amount of claims that you find.

I am using a cell of 1km with a radius of 100m, which creates 25 points.

point 1 existed
point 2 existed
point 3 existed
point 4 I missed

Interesting, set the remaining points to 25-3 so 22 and I started happily mining again ...

It would be incredibly stupid for Mindark just to leave the points where they should be, the pattern would be bloody obvious, you would get lines running ..... Oh wait, you did get lines running all over the place ....

You are making this far too difficult for yourself.

Sorry you are correct it's a Fermat's spiral not an archimedean. The reason for this is that I wanted something that is extremely easy adjust.

Just on a personal side note, it would seem that the "field" does indeed redistribute itself depending on the amount of claims that you find.

point 1 existed
point 2 existed
point 3 existed
point 4 I missed

Interesting, set the remaining points to 25-3 so 22 and I started happily mining again ...

It would be incredibly stupid for Mindark just to leave the points where they should be, the pattern would be bloody obvious, you would get lines running ..... Oh wait, you did get lines running all over the place ....

Now you should give a call to Legion.

*Bringing back nostalgic memories from the non-sense enlightement you gave us through years.*

point 1 existed
point 2 existed
point 3 existed
point 4 I missed

You've been doing this for nearly a decade and still not figured anything out.

As much as your decline into insanity has entertained me for years: can you just stop, for the sake of your health?

It's RANDOM.

You've been doing this for nearly a decade and still not figured anything out.

As much as your decline into insanity has entertained me for years: can you just stop, for the sake of your health?

It's RANDOM.

Interesting in order to make such a statement you do require proof, where is your proof for this ?

The field sheet is merely that an idea, a concept that can be tested, can randomness be tested ?

I have no idea what is your spreadsheet right there, but here is how i think mining works (with other settings, most likely)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0hpo0GgXHKucVN4SzRuT2ZsSnM/view?usp=sharing

You'll have to enable macros for it to work. Use run simulation button to simulate a few thousand drops and check simulation overall results on "Stats" worksheet.

Tinker with any green cells to customize simulation, modifying other cells may break the formulas. I can explain the thoughts behind it if you like...

I see this game as a gambling game where there's only so much you can do to improve your odds of not losing too much. For instance, the above simulation considers there's no chance that you are mining exactly at the same spot someone just mined at.

did 10k runs with default settings, i lost 88k :p

Interesting in order to make such a statement you do require proof, where is your proof for this ?

The field sheet is merely that an idea, a concept that can be tested, can randomness be tested ?

I'm just trying to help you babe, you seem stuck in a rut.

PS.

How to test that it's random:

Have multiple different players mine multiple different areas at multiple different times using multiple different finders and multiple different strategies:

Expect to see the same TT % return average over long periods of time between each player.

That would be interesting! I wonder if anyone ever did that befor-..

Oh wait, there are only hundreds of logs on this very forum that prove this very theory.

It's RANDOM.

Has anybody even downloaded/checked out my spreadsheet?

It is based on pure simple randomness and it (often) does look similar to my own mining runs lately.

EDIT: oh, missed Legion's post. Well then, it reflects the odds/randomness doesn't it? Now, have you actually done 10k 100 drop runs in-game and tracked tt returns precisely to compare, though?

Back