pet : what do they do, what it look like

Do they eat different? Cause i am sure i fed my Snablesnot Strong over 2500 Nutrios to get it full.

I think the lvl also affects things. lvl 1 only seems to require 500 nutrio to go from 0 to full regardless of snable or bristle etc. I think higher lvls require more.

I think the lvl also affects things. lvl 1 only seems to require 500 nutrio to go from 0 to full regardless of snable or bristle etc. I think higher lvls require more.

Cant be... mine was level 1 Ancient Snablesnot Strong, ate the first 1k like nothing at all, had to buy extra to get it filled.

Are you supposed to do tricks at full focus, or does it not matter?

Last edited:
we can have one on each planet? or just one?
because I like to have a pet with me when I travel :)
so I prefer to have one on each planet

So far nusul/panthers/bristlehog/Arret are planet exclusive, meaning yuu can't summon it if you are not on its home planet.

Larger focus regen leaps:
Focus 50% -> 75%: approx 06:30 (mm:ss)
Focus 50% -> 90%: approx 07:45
Focus 50% -> 99%: approx 22:45

Focus consumption (% points when starting at 99%-ish) vs XP gain:
lvl 0 trick (Greet): Focus consumption: 1 (?). XP gain: 0.5
lvl 1 trick (Dance): Focus consumption: 2 (?). XP gain: 1
lvl 2 trick (Bow) : Focus consumption: 6. XP gain: 3

Starting at 99% and doing 2 Bow "tricks" in a row, Focus dropped from 99% to 78%, while XP went from 72% to 76%. Energy dropped from 41% to 40%. Extrapolating, this suggests at lvl 2 70%-ish, every % XP "costs" around 4 minutes (as the two tricks in a row "cost" approx 16 minutes to recover from).

I noticed that 99% never go back to 100% (bug or feature), so I think your time 22:45 is actually much shorter to get 99%.

Also pets suffer from lag, so other observations might be not correct. I had pet for some time at 99%, performed 3 tricks and was still on 99% then with fourth one it dropped to 20-ish (or so). Therefore I take it there is lag, not that 3 tricks for free and 4-th at high cost.

While the critter can do "tricks" of varying duration, I haven't yet fond a way for it to turn tricks, or any other way for it to pay for its own living expenses.

Cheers, and happy skilling.

Honestly I don't think there will be ever benefit of pet performing tricks. By design pets are PED sink, with only way to get PED is from Arena battle wins.

So far nusul/panthers/bristlehog/Arret are planet exclusive, meaning yuu can't summon it if you are not on its home planet.

Daikiba I think is 'universal' mob, think it can be found on RT, would be interesting to see if it can be spawned anywhere else than Calypso and Space (tried myself, it works).

lvl4 pet, new trick : Sit

Sit cant be used atm...

Sit does work ok on my ancient exa on lvl 4.
Its now lvl 5. But on lvl 5 no new trick.

"Affection
Depending on how it is treated a pet will gain affection towards your avatar. Keep treating it well and something good might be given in return due to the deep connection you have built up."

Anyone know what this is all about?

"Affection
Depending on how it is treated a pet will gain affection towards your avatar. Keep treating it well and something good might be given in return due to the deep connection you have built up."

Anyone know what this is all about?

Animal sex???

Without Vixens in the list - I'm not interested in taming all :rolleyes:.

Without Vixens in the list - I'm not interested in taming all :rolleyes:.

You cant tame a true rock chick :D

But if it was made possible i can already imagine hundreds of feminists protesting in Gothenburg in front of MA Office. But hey any publicity is good publicity :D

Cant be... mine was level 1 Ancient Snablesnot Strong, ate the first 1k like nothing at all, had to buy extra to get it filled.

I guess I don't know then. The only other difference is the maturity. I've not got a strong one, but the basic kind.

Do you think they will allow you to spawn your pets you tame from other planets on the other planets? Tried to spawn my bristlehog on RT but keeps saying can't summon pet in this area. So I am thinking pets are planet bound.

Wondering if you get scanning skills while you scan your own pet.

yes, and you can respawn a new one to avoid the timer.

Though with the low level pets the skills aren't too often but you can skill all day with some pet management.

if you spawn it in an apartment ....you' done :mad: you can't do anything
only to log off to dismiss it

nope 1 pet is all you can get out at a time now, hopefully that changes or skilling to be able to have upto 5 out was basically useless.

I really liked having 5 out, was wondering at what level 6 would unlock, but never got to see it as they killed it.

I hope this will be reintroduced as level based function, really loved having a herd out:)

Tests performed on a Bristlehog level 2, with Energy levels (just in case it affects the results) 39%-52% (Fed).

Focus regen:
The 30 seconds below is more like 30s + delay (probably MA-internal system lag of a perhaps 200-1500ms). Also, the skipping of both percentage points (sometimes 2, then one, then two) and the skipping of time-delay, is most likely due to internal representation not fitting display representation, combined with integer division truncation.

Focus Time
72 -> 74, 30s
74 -> 75, 30s
75 -> 77, 30s
77 -> 78, 30s
78 -> 80, 30s
80 -> 81, 30s
81 -> 82, 30s
82 -> 84, 30s
84 -> 85, 30s
85 -> 86, 30s
86 -> 87, 30s
87 -> 88, 30s
88 -> 89, 30s
89 -> 90, 30s
90 -> 91, 60s
91 -> 92, 30s
92 -> 93, 30s
93 -> 94, 30s
94 -> 95, 60s
95 -> 96, 60s
96 -> 97, 90s
97 -> 98, 120s ?
98 -> 99, 135s ?

Larger focus regen leaps:
Focus 50% -> 75%: approx 06:30 (mm:ss)
Focus 50% -> 90%: approx 07:45
Focus 50% -> 99%: approx 22:45

Focus consumption (% points when starting at 99%-ish) vs XP gain:
lvl 0 trick (Greet): Focus consumption: 1 (?). XP gain: 0.5
lvl 1 trick (Dance): Focus consumption: 2 (?). XP gain: 1
lvl 2 trick (Bow) : Focus consumption: 6. XP gain: 3

Starting at 99% and doing 2 Bow "tricks" in a row, Focus dropped from 99% to 78%, while XP went from 72% to 76%. Energy dropped from 41% to 40%. Extrapolating, this suggests at lvl 2 70%-ish, every % XP "costs" around 4 minutes (as the two tricks in a row "cost" approx 16 minutes to recover from).

It also suggests the "cost" in time of doing a trick (varying duration, from 250-500ms maybe) vs. regenerating lost Focus could be in the area of 1000:1.

I observed that focus consumption of the "trick" seemingly depends on initial focus. At 99%, the focus consumption for "Dance" was only 2 points, but at 80% I've observed it being more like 15! This suggests that internally there is a linear "cost" with everything, but the display value is exponential (or asymptotic). What I mean by this is that the "backend" "value" of the single percentage point from 98-99 is much, much larger than that of the move from 80-81 (possibly over 10 times).

This observation, combined with the "self regen" time for focus, suggests it's also following MA's model of making everything in EU asymptotic (or exponential, if you prefer). No great surprise there, even if obvious, predicable and perhaps somewhat disappointing.

I have so far observed gaining the following skills (in very small amounts) by just havin a pet spawned:
Animal Lore
Animal Taming
Zoology

While the critter can do "tricks" of varying duration, I haven't yet fond a way for it to turn tricks, or any other way for it to pay for its own living expenses.

Cheers, and happy skilling.

Ok from what i understand after reading - conclusion is:
for faster skilling - you should do the tricks constantly as fast as possible ad don't wait for focus to regain.
for most eco skilling (lowest energy/nutrio consumption) - you should do tricks only in 98-99% focus range becasue they are giving most xp for energy consumed.

Do i understand this right?

@edit:
this is more complicated than it seems...
i "overtrained" my pet (bristle) and lwoest focus i was able to get was 13%. Now i am waiting to get it to 100% focus and it seems during this time the mob is:
getting xp slowly
getting affection very slwoly
using energy very slowly
all of those above without any tricks or even moving...
Figuring out most efficient way to skill your pet will not be easy ;).

Falagor
:bandit:

Last edited:
Ok did some more tests:

first of all - its possible to get from 99% to 100% focus but it takes pretty long time.

This data is minimal an should only indicate whats good or bad and not exact formulas:

---
Stage 1:
not trainig my pet for quite some time kept at 100% focus (Mood skiped cuz its always 100% since some time):
XP 53% -> 75%
Affection 21% -> 28%
Energy 93% -> 89%

so for 4% energy pet got 22 XP and 7% aff

---
Stage 2 (focus 100%->90% using Greet trick):
XP 75% -> 86%
Affection 28% -> 31%
Energy 89% -> 88%

so for 1% energy pet ot 9% XP and 3% aff

---
Stage 3 (focus 89%->13% using Greet trick):
XP 86% -> 93%
Affection 31% -> 34%
Energy 88% -> 86%

so for 2% energy pet got 7% XP and 3% aff

---
Stage 4 (focus 13%->13% i think i did 22 Greet trick):
XP 93% -> 95%
Affection 34% -> 35%
Energy 86% -> 84%

so for 2% energy pet got 2% P and 1% aff

---

Conclusion:

- best option is to train at high focus values (probably over 95%)
- next best option is to train without doing any tricks and jsut keep your pet spawned (so afk crafting is still viable option to skill your pets)
- it is very visible that low focus leads to wasting energy when doing tricks.

Of course this was done once and could be coincedence (i.e. the numbers can be totally random) but should give overal intuition.

For exact formulas/numbers/very close estimation - there is need to make many tests from scratch. Also tests should be done what trick is "best" too ;).

Values probably differ for different mobs too (i.e. old times will have higher skill costs probably).

Just my input.

Falagor
:bandit:

Do you think they will allow you to spawn your pets you tame from other planets on the other planets? Tried to spawn my bristlehog on RT but keeps saying can't summon pet in this area. So I am thinking pets are planet bound.

I can spawm ancient exo and daikiba at ark, but not snables. So I think when the planet content same mobs, you can spawn it there. Hopefully they change that and allow different mobs to be at different planets.

For exact formulas/numbers/very close estimation - there is need to make many tests from scratch. Also tests should be done what trick is "best" too ;).
There will indeed be a bit of testing required, as it depends on more than one factor, and I believe all of their internal quantities are currently unknown (f.ex. we know that while Focus is displayed in a linear %, that's only an exponential/logarithmic/<whatever> representation of the internal value).

As for the tricks, I think it's simply "use the highest (most costly) trick your pet have available" for the pet to get any appreciable XP gain. Much like you yourself don't get especially much skills from an Opalo anymore. It needs testing to see if "more expensive" tricks give less XP relative the nutrio cost (which would be consistent with MA's "Pay More" philosophy), or if it could be (the saner option) that cost vs. XP for higher level tricks could be linear.

I have a suspicion that XP and Affection are in reality just functions of Energy consumption (read: nutrio cost), and Focus is just the artificial limiter, i.e. when you tell the pet to "do a trick" it's simply subtracting a given amount of tt-value (Energy) while applying that amount due to some function to XP and Affection. As Energy constantly decays (funny though, vehicles at least state in their info how much oil they consume when spawned inactive, while pets don't), XP and Affection would therefore also be expected to increase while "doing nothing".

It would indeed also seem that current old time mobs cost more to skill, but whether or not that's a function based on their higher level rel. Puny or if they are just "more expensive" we'll have to wait for other non-ancient mobs to see.

All that is for punys ! try out a daikiba ancient strong, and you need tons of bars to level up the pet.

Same with the snablesnots........

Can pets do anything useful? Like attacking for me? Healing me? Can I ride on them?

Im really not interested in them if they cant do nothing for me :yup:

Can pets do anything useful? Like attacking for me? Healing me? Can I ride on them?

Im really not interested in them if they cant do nothing for me :yup:

They can greet and bow, rollover and dance... (so no no and no to your questions)

Too bad, i cant make mine too any of these,cause my animal skills are too low, and not growing as fast as my Pet levels are.

Back