The removal of UL tt weapons

Wollongong

Elite
Society
Odysseus Unbound
Jerry "Wollo" Wollongong
Most of you will probably already have noticed that the tt no longer has the trusted UL weapons we've grown to love. No more sollomate opalo, no knuckles, no melee. This is a change which wasn't clearly mentioned by Bertha, probably because the MA people were quite aware we would not like this much.

Personally, I am dissappointed there is no more entry level UL weapon, and newbs are forced onto the path of MU. But that is just my initial, somewhat knee-jerk reaction. I wonder, what do others think of the effects this change will have on the game? Will it influence retentionrates? Will it affect the speed at which newbies progress towards higher end weapons and mobs? Will it boost the economy, as now there is a small additional demand for crafted weapons, which trickles down to higher mu on loot? Or will it just have detrimental effects?

I believe this tiny change will affect all; hunting, mining, crafting, but also the economy as a whole. It will affect mentoring, it will... well...all...

What do you think?

I personally am glad that all weapons from the TT are same stats no matter the planet. That way its more even out. The new tt weapons are also alot more eco than the older ones. At first I wasnt too happy but now that I have used them and some time has passes I think it is a good move.

In the starter packs available in webshop you can get your UL carbine and UL armor.

Again a good way to encourage new players to contribute with money to the economy, and the chance they like the game more increases since having some funds greatly improves gameplay experience.

In regards to the TT ul weapons, they have been replace with Limited ones that have no markup.

So all in all will have no (little) effect on economy

Rgds

Ace

In regards to the TT ul weapons, they have been replace with Limited ones that have no markup.

So all in all will have no (little) effect on economy

Rgds

Ace

This. Except for some players (like me) who's going to get one of each for the purpose of collecting.

On top of that new players get used to items breaking rather than the other way around.

It has an effect on the free - never deposit - player.

A never deposit player will make only one purchase, a sollomate opalo.. it will take a lot of hard sweating work to buy this weapon for 3.80 ped. But after that he only has to sweat to buy ammo. And when the opalo is fully decayed he can repair it for 20 pecs and shoot again.

This means the trade terminal is no longer for this player. Now he needs to buy a weapon off the street, or stick with puny weapons, which are cheaper anyway. Because he needs to fork out 4 peds everytime his weapon breaks at the trade terminal. A whole lot more than 20 pecs.

Result: More low level unlimited weapons are sold on the street. The never deposit player has a chance to buy those or quit, resulting in less sweaters and an emptier feel at camp icarus. An emptier feel at camp icarus leads to less new players sticking around, because "nobody plays this game".

A never deposit player will make only one purchase, a sollomate opalo.. it will take a lot of hard sweating work to buy this weapon for 3.80 ped. But after that he only has to sweat to buy ammo. And when the opalo is fully decayed he can repair it for 20 pecs and shoot again.

This means the trade terminal is no longer for this player. Now he needs to buy a weapon off the street, or stick with puny weapons, which are cheaper anyway. Because he needs to fork out 4 peds everytime his weapon breaks at the trade terminal. A whole lot more than 20 pecs.

Result: More low level unlimited weapons are sold on the street. The never deposit player has a chance to buy those or quit, resulting in less sweaters and an emptier feel at camp icarus. An emptier feel at camp icarus leads to less new players sticking around, because "nobody plays this game".

Hadnt thought of it like that :) disagree with the extremity of your last paragraph, but hey life would be boring if everyone agreed on everything!

Rgds

Ace

Hadnt thought of it like that :) disagree with the extremity of your last paragraph, but hey life would be boring if everyone agreed on everything!

Rgds

Ace

I just love a dramatic ending.. :)

I don't see logic in that scenario. The new weapons are smaller damage (pistol and knife), and they also last a very long time, exactly the same as the opalo when adjusted for max TT of the item, but at much higher eco than the opalo. The pistol lasts 174 peds of ammo before breaking. So the sweating player's peds will last longer. While he may feel that he is losing peds (as most noobs do) by having to buy a new weapon each time it breaks, he's actually doing better economically than if he'd been using an opalo. If he's able to do that, then buying another 3 ped weapon is not a very significant cost even for the sweater. Speaking of eco, the TT pistol plus Sinkadus amp (from gold pack) = 2.981 dpp. There may very well be less sweaters at Icarus, but it'd be because they're out hunting ;)

I love that all the TT weapons have the same stats between planets, it should really simplify TT hunts. I'm slightly disappointed there are no BLP models but I guess that does simplify the newbie's choice a bit... and to me it says that MA has no plans to bring out any eco low level UL BLP amps equivalent to the A10x series.

The only drawback of the change is psychological: before they learn how to judge eco, noobs tend to think L items are "junk". Now that these are all available on every planet, the only reason to use a UL gun is for tiering and there's no reason to tier a TT weapon.

But hopefully this will help new players see the value of L equipment. IMO there's no pressing reason for blp or laser hunters to use UL equipment until they're past level 40.

Psst...selling the good stuff at low TT

Mann mph
Jester d-1

no license, no checks, street ready

Keepin' da sweatin' hoods on the streets since '07, yo

this is better...they can get the narc, lyst and garcen and make their own UL gun if they want or some (L) , keeping them even more involved and engaged in the game than just sweating.

Heck they might even buy off some enterprising new crafter along the way, who would probably need some new miner he met sweating to supply his minerals, ect.

One loss becomes many opportunities, the opalo never gave us.

Psst...selling the good stuff at low TT

Mann mph
Jester d-1

no license, no checks, street ready

Mann MPH: 2.031 dpp, 2.6 dps at level 5
TT pistol: 2.896 dpp, 4.05 dps at level 5

Jester D-1: 2.061 dpp, 3.19 dps at level 5
TT carbine: 2.879 dpp, 3.57 dps at level 5

Mann MPH: 2.031 dpp, 2.6 dps at level 5
TT pistol: 2.896 dpp, 4.05 dps at level 5

Jester D-1: 2.061 dpp, 3.19 dps at level 5
TT carbine: 2.879 dpp, 3.57 dps at level 5

Don't think you have been around long enough to remember Mann MPH team hunts :p

Back when eco didnt really matter. Fun did.

I don't see logic in that scenario. The new weapons are smaller damage (pistol and knife), and they also last a very long time, exactly the same as the opalo when adjusted for max TT of the item, but at much higher eco than the opalo. The pistol lasts 174 peds of ammo before breaking. So the sweating player's peds will last longer. While he may feel that he is losing peds (as most noobs do) by having to buy a new weapon each time it breaks, he's actually doing better economically than if he'd been using an opalo. If he's able to do that, then buying another 3 ped weapon is not a very significant cost even for the sweater. Speaking of eco, the TT pistol plus Sinkadus amp (from gold pack) = 2.981 dpp. There may very well be less sweaters at Icarus, but it'd be because they're out hunting ;)

I love that all the TT weapons have the same stats between planets, it should really simplify TT hunts. I'm slightly disappointed there are no BLP models but I guess that does simplify the newbie's choice a bit... and to me it says that MA has no plans to bring out any eco low level UL BLP amps equivalent to the A10x series.

The only drawback of the change is psychological: before they learn how to judge eco, noobs tend to think L items are "junk". Now that these are all available on every planet, the only reason to use a UL gun is for tiering and there's no reason to tier a TT weapon.

But hopefully this will help new players see the value of L equipment. IMO there's no pressing reason for blp or laser hunters to use UL equipment until they're past level 40.

The logic is that people want to play a game. You could explain the econess of it all to me, but I have been here since 2004... I have trouble trying to convince hardened players who do deposit to do tt-hunts with the ozpyn lr1sx1 instead of opalo. Maybe you should try to explain it to the newbie who runs around with his red weapon (jester d-1) that he could buy for 80 pecs (40 pec tt+ 40 pec markup) and his 120 pecs ammo. After he only sweated for 3 hours to get his 1000 bottles.
If you keep explaining it over and over again then you are called a mentor.

Back