Cyrene version 2.0

OZtwo

Stalker
Society
Vikings Of Entropia
Kent OZtwo OpaloMan
This is just a small clip of my stream visiting Cyrene the other day. Many may see the issues here but mostly the ones who have been to Cyrene in the past and more for those who play this game in high graphics mode. Below is just a short example of what the planet now looks like in high graphics mode.

There are so many errors on the planet now with a lot of the ingame objects floating in the air or hiding in ground with most of the buildings half built being able to walk through walls and what not. With make shift walls built to cut up the zones. It's unknown what has happened with Cyrene with them saying all is well and the planet will be going on hard launch soon.

As I told a lot of people with this update I thought, as they have told us, this was going to be a big update removing the other zones and adding a beginners area that will open up the rest of the world over time based on our in-game activities. Well, I was wrong. Not only do they not have such a system coming but this is not a new 'beginners' zones. What I found was a very rush job to move all areas of Cyrene into this small map.

The only real answer I can give to what has happened here is that the developers of Cyrene are giving MA the finger. Issues with them not getting their needed system and MA telling them that they will need to downsize or something so the team created this unknown world in spite of MA.

That is one bumpy road... good my cars suspension will not experience that lol

Thanks. It doesn't look anywhere nearly as bad as you might think listening to what people say.

Thanks. It doesn't look anywhere nearly as bad as you might think listening to what people say.

That is a joke?

Look at the damn road! :laugh: is that what you want new players to see? what impression does that leave the customers with?

low budget game with lazy developers

Not really a selling point.

It looks like Cyrene is a total failure, but MA will keep it open for however long necessary as a PR move. There are so many barren and deserted failed planets that I can't see any future planet partners signing on. MA's planets concept is pretty much a total failure, as it was a bad idea to take an already small player base (too small for Calypso alone), then open up a bunch of planets with no economy at all.

It looks like Cyrene is a total failure, but MA will keep it open for however long necessary as a PR move. There are so many barren and deserted failed planets that I can't see any future planet partners signing on. MA's planets concept is pretty much a total failure, as it was a bad idea to take an already small player base (too small for Calypso alone), then open up a bunch of planets with no economy at all.

The concept and the platform is solid!

There is just way to little money put towards marketing. Many do not even know of the existance of EU.

This is sad since they improved the newcomer experience soooo much compared to the old days.

The other planets economy is dead and this is also due to them seperating the auctions and etc. between planets. this is not a good decision right now. also its too bothersome to travel from planet to planet with all PVP space. If i want to go to Calypso to join in on a event or a hunt. i do not want to bother with finding a mothership to travel with. i want to go there easy and fast so my gaming experience is not suffering because i choose to go to a different planet. You can also hardly obtain the (L) equipment on the other planets because their economy is dead

Sad thing is that the company (Creative Kingdom) behind Cyrene have a lot of money. Surprised they haven´t bought Mindark already, the cost would hardly show up in their financial books...

http://www.creativekingdom.com/

That is a joke?

Look at the damn road! :laugh: is that what you want new players to see? what impression does that leave the customers with?

low budget game with lazy developers

Not really a selling point.

The road is somewhat silly but these days "ComPet concept art" sets the plank, and it's not broken yet. :laugh:

Photorealism isn't what gets things sold, anyway.

It comes as no surprise the planet partners are struggling, they agreed to develop a planet with a unique selling point. They should have focused heavily to develop their unique selling point. Instead they focus on hunting, crafting and mining and do a poorer job of it than Calypso.

The concept and the platform is solid!

Let's see:

Planet Michael: Failure to launch
Chinese planet: Failure to launch
Next Island: Total failure
Planet Postmoderna: Still waiting
ROCKtropia: Empty/failure
Toulan: Empty
Space: Mostly empty
Arkadia: Barely enough players to garner widespread interest
Planet Calypso: More of a success

How exactly is the concept and platform solid?

There is just way to little money put towards marketing. Many do not even know of the existance of EU.

I've been hearing this since 2008. Next year is always going to be the year of Entropia.

Let's see:

Planet Michael: Failure to launch
Chinese planet: Failure to launch
Next Island: Total failure
Planet Postmoderna: Still waiting
ROCKtropia: Empty/failure
Toulan: Empty
Space: Mostly empty
Arkadia: Barely enough players to garner widespread interest
Planet Calypso: More of a success

How exactly is the concept and platform solid?

I've been hearing this since 2008. Next year is always going to be the year of Entropia.

The concept is solid, i like the idea about a full developed interconnected platform in which people can create their own planets and help construct the history of Entropia Universe. The concept is solid, if the platform currently is solid might be something up for discussion.

Dont forget that this is a game that have been surviving since 2003 and still running. that is 11 years. so if things was not somewhat solid it would've been closed a long time ago. if it was a wise decision by mindark to sell off Calypso and focus on the platform i have a hard time judging

The concept is solid, i like the idea about a full developed interconnected platform in which people can create their own planets and help construct the history of Entropia Universe. The concept is solid, if the platform currently is solid might be something up for discussion.

Let's break down your argument: A concept is an idea. You're saying that the idea is "solid". How exactly is the planet partners idea "solid" when most of the planets are empty and are outright failures? If you were at a board meeting and at the head of the table, attempting to convince 10 executives to provide capital for three new planets, would your argument be: "I like the idea about a full developed interconnected platform in which people can create their own planets and help construct the history of Entropia Universe."?

Dont forget that this is a game that have been surviving since 2003 and still running. that is 11 years. so if things was not somewhat solid it would've been closed a long time ago. if it was a wise decision by mindark to sell off Calypso and focus on the platform i have a hard time judging

The game itself has been successful, although MindArk's semi-annual reports have shown them yet to turn a profit in years. Mindark's success primarily stems from the success of Project Entropia and later, Planet Calypso. The planet partners concept is a side issue, and one which I don't have much faith in.

It comes as no surprise the planet partners are struggling, they agreed to develop a planet with a unique selling point. They should have focused heavily to develop their unique selling point. Instead they focus on hunting, crafting and mining and do a poorer job of it than Calypso.

But those unique selling points all relied on MA to develop them.

Ark and RT are both developed by existing players, so no surprise they're heavily influenced by Calypso.

Those that tried something special whether it be time travel or pvp just didn't know enough about the mind set of the existing players to really complete the job or bugs. No matter how many times we heard pvp will bring people in their thousands from certain groups of the EU playerbase it never happened and never will happen due to the mechanics of EU it just can't compete against a game built from day one for pvp.

Also remember that they have to get almost everything ok'd by MA, even if they do let slip one or two contentious things through. But to not focus on hunting, crafting or mining in a Universe built upon those concepts would have been an even bigger disaster as any alternative to those needed new systems adding by MA. RT promised virtual studios and concerts and Cyrene had their Ten event postponed at the last moment and eventually cancelled due to bugs that MA couldn't fix. Then when they organised their own event it got cancelled 10 hours in because MA didn't sanction it.

Ark did get it's one unique feature but it's really just another form of mining.

But the day that really saw the PP's screwed was when lootable space was introduced which forced a few of them, who had dev teams, to rebalance their planet to cope without readily available resources for crafters from Calypso. Before that we could tp between them for a fee, afterwards either a 45 minute ride with pirates camping the end points or a ride on over priced motherships that were bought by people who rightly or wrongly thought they'd have exclusive rights to travel between the planets.

Last edited:
May be I am too much optimist, but I think Cyrene is not failing. They are preparing for hard launch making new and old players start from begining exploring. Old players are put into something halfdone place until the grand opening when new and old players will have the same oportunity to explore the 'real' Cyrene. I may be wrong, but I will wait to January at least before call it failded planet.
Cyrene and Toulan so far should be considered work in progress and compared to the stage of development of Star Citizen and not to where Calypso is after 10 years or any other completed game.

May be I am too much optimist, but I think Cyrene is not failing. They are preparing for hard launch making new and old players start from begining exploring. Old players are put into something halfdone place until the grand opening when new and old players will have the same oportunity to explore the 'real' Cyrene. I may be wrong, but I will wait to January at least before call it failded planet.
Cyrene and Toulan so far should be considered work in progress and compared to the stage of development of Star Citizen and not to where Calypso is after 10 years or any other completed game.

+1

And for the OP: dont judge Cyrene after spending 1-2 days there at a time. Alot of people (and some are big players) consider Cyrene as their home planet or spend most of their time there. No one force anyone to stay or visit Cyrene, so dont make false impressions to others about a planet you dont know.

When it comes to texture and mesh work i don't think its unreasonable to say that the PP's are struggling to keep up with Calypso, its a pretty large gulf in quality between the new work Calypso does and the rest. The closest to Calypso quality being Arkadia in my opinion but they are still a bit off as well.

When it comes to terrain design i think Cyrene has a lot of work to do, the road/foliage/forest issues are bizarre knowing how solid these editor tools are in CE2.

I think we will have to wait atleast a couple of VU's before we can judge though, all PP's are small teams working with what they got and although this is a pretty big flaw, stuff like this does slip through from time to time. If after a few VU's it becomes clear that they are happy with this terrain quality i would be very worried with MA's quality control.

Best regards
Zweshi

Downsizing cause of cost????

Hang on a minute.......

They launched this planet without a working economy. Now they are downsizing cause of cost. They still havent done a hard launch.

When will people learn. YOu cannot steal customers from calypso. IT HAS A WORKING ECONOMY.
If they were knew this, then they would not be downsizing now, they would have done that from the start.
BUT NO.....like all the other planets. They launched without a working economy and behold they fail......
I have said this from the start, and i will continue to say it.

If you launch without a working economy and no advertising.....YOU WILL FAIL.

Its not bloody rocket science.

Yes i know people are gonna say, its not hard launch yet.
But honestly, they are downsizing cause of costs, what they really wanted to do was steal players from calypso, without a working economy. It didnt work....

Rgds

Ace

Rule 1: Have a working economy from the start, your own ores, your own crafting, your own hunting with loot for your own crafting.
Rule 2: Advertise.........stop trying to steal established calypso players

Hang on a minute.......

They launched this planet without a working economy. Now they are downsizing cause of cost. They still havent done a hard launch.

When will people learn. YOu cannot steal customers from calypso. IT HAS A WORKING ECONOMY.
If they were knew this, then they would not be downsizing now, they would have done that from the start.
BUT NO.....like all the other planets. They launched without a working economy and behold they fail......

But honestly, they are downsizing cause of costs, what they really wanted to do was steal players from calypso, without a working economy. It didnt work....

Rgds

Ace

Rule 1: Have a working economy from the start, your own ores, your own crafting, your own hunting with loot for your own crafting.

People might stay on these planets if they could obtain gear and ressources from calypso through auction without any fee's on same basis as people on calypso.

Right now that is not possible and that is a bigger problem than you might think

Hang on a minute.......

Rgds

Ace

That was the point I made in my earlier post; Calypso has an already small player base -- barely enough to make new players feel like there's much interest in the game. Then, MindArk tries the planet partner idea and the rollout is not the success that MindArk intended on it being (see my earlier list above). So, now, MA has all this extra baggage that it can't really do anything about because if they got rid of one or more planets, it would be a public relations disaster. A better move would be to just connect ROCKtropia, for instance, to Calypso and drop the name. But then we have an even larger mammoth continent with not a lot of players, which poses an issue. Right now I'm getting the feeling that year after year, MA is just spinning their wheels and picks bits and pieces of information out of thin air that they think is the right way to do things, when in actuality many would agree it's the wrong way. I'm also not confident that EU has a long future ahead of it if MindArk continues down this slippery slope.

Kudos to MindArk for trying something new, that is, the planet partner idea, but it's time to try something different.

Well Cyrene 1.0 seemed to have some quality work, so they can do it. This was probably rushed due to short notice, or understaffed etc... Don't start building a coffin for Cyrene just yet. I bet it will look fine when there is a hard launch.

And I disagree that the PP concept is a failure. Certainly not a success as one would hope, but it still is working and in time (with more players) it's the best way to go about micro-managing a virtual Universe.

Next Island is really the only true failure (so far), although I haven't been to RT in like a year and I hear it is struggling now.
**However, I have faith in Next Island and hope with all my heart someone will buy it up and bring it back to life. Even if it were downsized to a simple serene "vacation spot" (like Toulan, but less mobs i hope) with the nice sandy beaches and palms i grew to love as a noob. Problem is it's on the far side of space, making it such a chore to go there, so that doesn't help. :(

BUT look at the other side of things...

Arkadia appears to be thriving more and more, weekly and even daily it seems sometimes. I think many of you on this forum don't visit there often enough (or never) to see how it has grown, so you get stuck in this "caly is the only planet that can survive" mentality which is not totally justified. Give it a chance, fly over and see for yourself it is possible to have more than 1 quality planet in the universe. :cool:

That road made me lmao. the bumps... the gradients... why is it a two way road too? Can you even fit two cars on that road? What side of the road do we drive on on cyrene?

Dont forget that this is a game that have been surviving since 2003 and still running.

quite, and thats really not good enough. i agree that the concept is solid, partner planets make alot of sence on the surface. but the execution has been repeatly mis-handled, with negligable marketing.

quite, and thats really not good enough. i agree that the concept is solid, partner planets make alot of sence on the surface. but the execution has been repeatly mis-handled, with negligable marketing.
Out of all the arguments, this one is the best. Hopefully MA sets higher standards for themselves and PP's.

More bugs squashed, better back end fixes, and start utilizing Cry 2 more efficiently. :yup:

I've just come back after a 4 year break. I thought about visiting other planets for a look...but I can't be bothered to find out how and it's not exactly in you face anywhere. Given that it's a pain in the arse instead of simply going somewhere there's a timetable or a spaceport ingame...why bother leaving Calypso which is OK and works? There needs to be a transport hub, and scedules that we can look up and rely on. Something like auction but with a list of flights and prices to book.

As for the other planets, Neverdie has done a decent job of promoting it and the websites associated are good, Arkadia isn't bad either...the rest...crap, I even found a planet today I hadn't heard of so they did a great job of promoting that didn't they? I tried to reg on their forum..couldn't do that because I'm already registered ..impossible since I never heard of it. lol

The difficulty needs to be the thing you do ingame, the mobs, the mining, etc. Not the basics that you need to play it.

Calypso alone is a lot to learn, mobs, weapons, locations...I'm having to get a ton of new TPS since I came back so a new player will have much more to find out. Why the hell would people choose to redo that on umpteen planets , and how would they find the time to even find their way around? It's too much to expect from people starting on Calypso, and apart from Rocktropia I see little promotion to get new guys on the other planets.

Mindark built the Caly playerbase up over more than ten years, lost a lot on the way too. They may not promote very heavily but they had people Like ND in the mainsteam news that helped them. The new planets don't even tempt current players to go there very well never mind new ones to start out there.

I've just come back after a 4 year break. I thought about visiting other planets for a look...but I can't be bothered to find out how and it's not exactly in you face anywhere. Given that it's a pain in the arse instead of simply going somewhere there's a timetable or a spaceport ingame...why bother leaving Calypso which is OK and works? There needs to be a transport hub, and scedules that we can look up and rely on. Something like auction but with a list of flights and prices to book.

You mean something like this:
http://efa.ms/schedule/
or
http://www.titans-of-space.de/schedule.shtml
or
http://entropiatransport.com/

Or you simply buy a quad and put on a space thruster if you want to travel without stackables.

Have fun travelling :)

...snip...

To be honest i fail to see how space travelling is complicated. Inconvinient yes, but not really complicated. You have lots of possibilities:
-Get a Quad or Sleipnir, attach a Thruster and there you go
-Go to twin, ask for a taxi and there you go
-Lookup flight schedules is possible on several MS-Owner sites if you want to take a scheduled flight
-Ask in chat if a MS or a privateer is available for a flight to your desired destination, chances are not bad to find someone

And the more expensive solutions:
- Buy a privateer and organize flights and use public signs to promote your flight schedule
-"" "" the same with a MS

Plenty of easy possibilities, which are not even expensive in most cases.

However i like the spaceport idea, where people could offer scheduled flights on a regular timetable and other pilots taxi services etc. It would give the whole spacetravel thing a neat vibrant feeling and could promote flight services better.

edit: Ahh Shee even posted some schedules of MS owners above

I ran into something interesting the last few days and that's been the current support for the planet. Now I'm not trying to be bad person here just posting my disappointment for what they have done to the planet. But one item I am starting to see more and more from some of the people who like the planet is due to the current exploits found on the planet. So I ask how many are in support of the planet because they have hopes for it or are just there due to the exploits?

Agreed, People forget the main people making Cyrene were players who left to do it better than MA....only to be subjects of MA.

Cyrene for many of us has been broken completely anyhow until recently. I could not hunt there for 2 years, bug support cases never answered, the team simply did not care.

I also saw this when the mining started 1st weeks. They had zero resources in the ground to start, so everyone who went for the 1st couple of weeks helped fill the mineral pool with no compensation. (talking 5% return rates)

Not surprised at all, here. Wish I could have experienced what everyone thinks was so cool, it has been broken for me for a long time.

Agreed, People forget the main people making Cyrene were players who left to do it better than MA....only to be subjects of MA.

Cyrene for many of us has been broken completely anyhow until recently. I could not hunt there for 2 years, bug support cases never answered, the team simply did not care.

I also saw this when the mining started 1st weeks. They had zero resources in the ground to start, so everyone who went for the 1st couple of weeks helped fill the mineral pool with no compensation. (talking 5% return rates)

Not surprised at all, here. Wish I could have experienced what everyone thinks was so cool, it has been broken for me for a long time.

Aaaand this brings us back to something very relevant

Quality control mindark! control the quality of the stuff you allow into the EU Universe... The above mentioned problems seems like something that should never have been allowed... and in the end they have the responsibility to make sure we are treated properly by planet partners and that their systems are fully functional before being accesible to participants...

Mining with a 5% return rate due to incomplete mining ressources is a gamebreaking issue and its suprising it was ever allowed.

Mining with a 5% return rate due to incomplete mining ressources is a gamebreaking issue and its suprising it was ever allowed.

I wouldn't exactly take that at face value. I don't think people had problems hunting there except maybe framerate lag from the excessive critter effects. Maybe Forgo could explain what the problems were in more detail, because I didn't see any problems with the hunting or mining loot system any time I visited cyrene. I think the terrain was bad for mining and mining was not well understood by the dev team, but bad terrain never gave me 5% returns there even the first day of launch. The first day of the VU, any planet can have anomalies in the loot system, that happens on caly just as much as anywhere else.

Back