Modernize space travel :)

NoBion

Elite
Society
Freelancer
NoBion Nob Andersen
Hello everyone :)

I been thinking about space lately, and my conclusions are that right now Space is a missed oppertunity, all it is right now is:

- A place for motherships to earn money by transporting people with warp (Easy and fast travel which IMHO is perfect)
- Lootable PVP area (a very big one)

What we need is to turn space a bit away from the "black hole" it is now, because hardly anyone bothers using space right now including myself because of the lootable PVP.

Suggestions are as following:

- Safe travel paths for normal "ships" Stay on a safe route and you will not be attackable
- Hunting pirates and space monsters? you go outside the safe route and safezones and you can be shot down and looted (or maybe just killed). depending on what the community seems to want
- A new feature to Mine asteroids, again this can only happen outside safezones and safe routes.
- Craftable engines for space, make different levels of speeds available and attachable to space jets. new BP and new money for crafters.

The Motherships will still have their place as its a way faster traveling than flying manually. Make warping impossible for normal ships and leave only "high speed" engines to make traveling much faster by safe routes.

I know this is not something that people who earn money on space travels are very fond off. but reality is, that space is a big and exciting ressource in entropia that is not being used and therefore its time to evaluate if space is what it should be right now.

I will probably add more suggestions here later. in the meantime i want a discussion about this here, and i want to hear your opinions and suggestions!

Get rid of the lootable PVP and fill it with interesting mobs....job done!

Tinnies give robot loot and fleshies give animal loots so space mobs should give loots that are only available in space and that have a demand in crafting desirable/consumable items.

Make the ubers to want to go and the rest will follow.

Last edited:
Dreams are ten a penny :)

You are not alone thinking that Space is a somewhat missed opportunity. But ...

you can´t deny it´s there - and that means - live with it.

There are 1000s USD Investments made into space by the Player Community. Do you really want to be responsible that all these invests are gone?

hell yeah - it´s so easy - establish TPs between the planets and travel safely with your inventory full of goods between them. but ... where is the thrill? where is the challenge?

you are maybe right from your Position but you are not alone playing this game. There are many others having fun in space and with this PvP. Ofc Space could be developed more, ofc the costs in Space could be lowered - but ... did you ever think how much it cost to craft a warpdrive? How much the ppl pay for it who need it for their privateer oder MS? And a good Quality of Service always should be payed too. So 30 Ped for a single warp is not that expensive compared to the losses you might have going on your own in a quad. And there also are scheduled flights which will cost only 7 ped! For those who can wait a good deal imo.

So why closing it up establishing Universewide TPs?? There is a lot of Money there which would be wasted - a lot of ppl who would maybe go - and it would be pretty boring without having the thrill anymore. Only because some Player want to Change that?

Never!

So let the ppl earn their Ped as you want to earn your Ped too. Nobody tells you that you MUST go to space or to another planet :D

*If no hangars were sold... and no hangar owners to appease
*If no MS were sold... and no MS owners to appease

MA could have made space much easier, by adding a simple 'Space Bus' type service that leaves every 30mins to any destination. The passenger goes to the planet side Space Terminal and pays a ticket to an NPC/terminal, waits for the ship to arrive, boards the ship, experiences warp (2-3min?), and safely arrives at the destination. MA makes $, and the player is happy.

-Ticket fee goes directly to MA.
-Price of ticket depends on distance to destination, and would range in 5-10ped range, for a 1-way trip.

PvP Lootable space is most likely be an obstacle no matter what. MA seems to be adamant about this fact.

MS's have a place and a business understandable and it is hard to have a business if there is a free alternative so we can forget about that ever happening. And shouldn't because MS owners had large investments to start their businesses.

My grip with PvP Lootable space is PvP in this game is total shit, they have no latency balancing for one, if you have higher connection ping times then your opponent your just plain screwed, there is not even a way to win a conflict period in those circumstances. Not just space all PvP is that way.

On top of this there are very obvious exploits being used and MA are not fixing them even after all these years they are still there being used to give some huge advantage over others.

And even a bigger grip is the HUGE LACK of indication of what the heck is or is not lootable, I read some say and item is some say it isn't who the heck do you trust you have no official marking from MA stating so. You have to risk it to test it to get the true answer. MA says all stackables but that is not true, I have had lootpills in the past not be lootable and then be lootable wtf make up your mind is it or isn't it... They then change saying to all stackable items that are not used in tools and that is false because deeds are stackable and so is PED and it is not lootable, then they start adding all sorts of exceptions.... C'mon why make it so fricken clouded and risky to players of what is and isn't lootable, why not state it in the name of the items... Every lootable items can have a PVPL in name like the C and L and M and F indicators or something very visible and easy to determine.

I spend much time cleaning out my inventory each time I quadwing over to planets in space to ensure I am empty then MA adds some new item and who the hell knows it's official status of lootable. Trial and error approach is just bullshit in a RCE type game where you pay usd for item to just have it looted 10min later because you had no idea it was even lootable. Or item not lootable for period of time then bam now it is lootable etc.

SPACE is Fucked up and needs to be addressed and fixed and reworked starting at the network level.

Last edited:
Just Delete space and make all planets a TP jump away.

I can't escape the thought that you never read my post properly. in the suggestion i came with, the Motherships and etc. still have their reason for existence. I know its not going to be a good update in their POV. but it will bring more life and more purpose to space.

You are not alone thinking that Space is a somewhat missed opportunity. But ...

you can´t deny it´s there - and that means - live with it.

There are 1000s USD Investments made into space by the Player Community. Do you really want to be responsible that all these invests are gone?

hell yeah - it´s so easy - establish TPs between the planets and travel safely with your inventory full of goods between them. but ... where is the thrill? where is the challenge?

you are maybe right from your Position but you are not alone playing this game. There are many others having fun in space and with this PvP. Ofc Space could be developed more, ofc the costs in Space could be lowered - but ... did you ever think how much it cost to craft a warpdrive? How much the ppl pay for it who need it for their privateer oder MS? And a good Quality of Service always should be payed too. So 30 Ped for a single warp is not that expensive compared to the losses you might have going on your own in a quad. And there also are scheduled flights which will cost only 7 ped! For those who can wait a good deal imo.

So why closing it up establishing Universewide TPs?? There is a lot of Money there which would be wasted - a lot of ppl who would maybe go - and it would be pretty boring without having the thrill anymore. Only because some Player want to Change that?

Never!

So let the ppl earn their Ped as you want to earn your Ped too. Nobody tells you that you MUST go to space or to another planet :D

Other than Calypso, most, if not all, other planets have poor to no economy whatsoever. The reason is space piracy. I understand the thrill of being able to hunt other players for their goods. Regardless, the result is almost no one is willing to risk interplanetary trade, and thus the small pop planets have no functioning economy.

The "safe path" idea is a great one, and it still gives people who own motherships an advantage because they are able to warp. The idea of different engine speeds is brilliant, makes work for crafters, and allows a bit of an engine arms race between pirates and hunters. The mining asteroids is also a fantastic idea.

+1 to OP.

Other than Calypso, most, if not all, other planets have poor to no economy whatsoever. The reason is space piracy. I understand the thrill of being able to hunt other players for their goods. Regardless, the result is almost no one is willing to risk interplanetary trade, and thus the small pop planets have no functioning economy.

As someone mentioned in another thread that turned into a space whine... most of the comments here about other planets economies seem to be from people who don't really know what they're talking about and who are just repeating what they heard from others who don't know what they're talking about.

I don't care for PVP in general but space is easy to deal with. It only takes time to get from one planet to another (typically ~ 40 min whether you're getting a quad or MS flight).

It's relatively inexpensive and "safe" to transport stackables through space when needed and it's easy to find a warp flight, especially to and from Calypso. 80% of the time you'll be able to be on board a ship within 10 minutes (use the #space_travel channel).

If planets don't do well, it's because they aren't putting the proper planning and implementation into their economy, game play, and marketing, not because of space.

Last edited:
As someone mentioned in another thread that turned into a space whine... most of the comments here about other planets economies seem to be from people who don't really know what they're talking about and who are just repeating what they heard from others who don't know what they're talking about.

I don't care for PVP in general but space is easy to deal with. It only takes time to get from one planet to another (typically ~ 40 min whether you're getting a quad or MS flight).

It's relatively inexpensive and "safe" to transport stackables through space when needed and it's easy to find a warp flight, especially to and from Calypso. 80% of the time you'll be able to be on board a ship within 10 minutes (use the #space_travel channel).

If planets don't do well, it's because they aren't putting the proper planning and implementation into their economy, game play, and marketing, not because of space.

I've never gone into space with any materials, but I've also been shot down the three times I went there. Yes it's a small sample size, but my experience doesn't incline me to believe you.

There may well be issues with poor planning and implementation, but these are exacerbated by decreased ability to trade with Calypso.

I've never gone into space with any materials, but I've also been shot down the three times I went there. Yes it's a small sample size, but my experience doesn't incline me to believe you.

Well you can believe me or not. I've done thousands of flights in space (lost count after 30 expended thrusters, 1500 flights) and I don't get shot down very often--pretty much only when I'm trying to get shot down--but getting shot down by a pirate is one of the best things you can do in space. It wastes their ammo (who doesn't love wasting campers' ammo!) and gives you good skills, both pilot skills and repairing/crafting skills. Just repair the ship and go on your way. If they're harassing you by shooting you down multiple times, then you're lucky, that's more ammo they spend and more opportunity for you to practice evading their shots... though you' rarely lucky enough to get them to chase you more than twice. If there's someone in the station, you can go stand next to the person like you're trading with them, the pirate will then think they were holding stackables for you, and chase you again. What I like to do if I'm heading to planet is evade their shots just long enough to land when I've got a sliver of SI left on the ship, one of the funnest things you can do with pirates! :laugh: Use team target, a quad's laser range is 0.093 au.

It's also quite possible, with teamwork, to safely smuggle loot in a quad, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone but the most experienced space pilots, just to say that it is possible... it takes teamwork, strategy and skill. The rest of the 99% of people really do need to take a mothership or privateer to be safe.

But you generally don't even need to transport lootables in space... if you're trading, just transport the crafted items, which are completely safe in space. If you're hunting or mining, leave your loot on auction (just like on caly, not all stuff sells on other planets, so know what the market volume/price is). I personally have to take several warps a week due to my mining company getting excesses of certain ores or trying to get the highest MU on different planets. A few (very few) traders warp niche stackables from one planet to another (not a significant effect on the overall economy). Crafters sometimes need to warp materials to different planets. Other than that, the vast majority of players won't need to warp their stackables on a regular basis.

Of course there are myriad ways MA could improve space, to make it more fun and interesting, and hundreds of good forum posts on the topic, I'm the last person to say it's perfect the way it is... but i doubt we'll ever see a completely risk free way to transport stackables. MA said they would work on space in 2015, so let's hope they stay on schedule.

Make some big-ass mobs reachable ONLY with MS and privateers, PvP enabled, warp-flights and gates and mines and all, and let the other players who don't give a dry fxxx on Pvp to explore the universe... also save their time by shortening the travel times, 15 minutes travel from Caly to NI should be more than enough in a sleipnir.

Also create mining areas with rare minerals, also PvP enabled and reachable only by MS and privateers - the rest should be free to explore, MA sticking to the idea of all space being PVP ran this game into the ground, among other things. Space is Mindark owned, so they could take a lot of greens but sadly they are stuck on stupid.

An Obersvation from a Veteran space pilot

After some 2000 flights and enough flight time in space to comver the first 5 years of the RL space program, I've come to some ovservation and changes they cold make to actually improve both not only space, but also to impove the fact that space is going to be around for quite a long time (Sorry to all those folks out there who think TP's are going to come back, but unnless you got a lot of money (and i mean a lot!) to give to MA to convince them otherwise, the reality is this.. Space is here to stay. period..

Now what could they do to acutlly make space more enjoybal and to reduce camping (and force pirates to go actually hunting for players in space? Well it would take a lot less time than someof the suggestions pointed out by some people..

Let's face it Space is about 99.8 % PVP , the other 0.02% being the safe zons located around space stations around not only the planets but the neutral stations located around the board. So you're saying, "Well frankly I don';t like it, but the let me explain the first simple change that the planet partners could force onto MA and this would be a simple solution and whoould actually help more up anc coming "taxi drivers" to get into space a lot sooner.

Frist off, let's start off with a wider safety zone around each of the planeets.. Think of it like Territorial waters around any nation or country in the world that is bordered by an ocean.. (And yes the distances of each safe zone could be varried or even turned off.)

Now what would this do? It would allow players the first real step into space.. and the chance to explore all the way aorund the planet.. provided that the server the planet was on was reduced in size as to the entire pint (Reduce it by say 1/2 and you could actually have a safe buffer where people could come out, fly around the planet and explore.. that way it gets their confidence up and allows them to practice their piloting skills..

Also it would give the space piolots out there a larger area to park their ships around.. and thus reduce the lags that occurr around each station (that's the latency the original OP was talking about.. it's all these ships crammed into one timy area..

Second, let's talk about entry into space from teh surface of a planet, and not entry into a planet from space.. As has been noted before there are a lot of entry point onto a planet from space.. but in the cae of leaving a planet and entering into space, MA only has 1 entry poiint near the station.. and that's it..

This bottleneck is really an issue and helpe promote camping and reduced the fuel a pirate burns.. it also causes the latency that the OP mentions as we have a ton of ships circling a station that has a safe zone that is soo small. This gives the pirats the advantage, and makes the very fat and lazy...:laugh:

But then space is supposed to be about the chase the thrill of being able to outwit an opponent and to stop them or to get away at any cost (Let's be honest, who hasn't seen the famous Star Wars Scene with Han, Luke, Princess Leia, Chewie, and the droids trying to get awy from teh Death Star? This is what space should be.. It should be a game of cunning and not people just hanging around a station hoping for a score from a foolish player..:laugh: (and yes I'm an equal opporitunity mocker here mocking those who are sitting around waiting and those who decide to take a risk only to lose it all and then repeat the process again and again, in order to save money..)

Now then if we had at least 8 entry points into space, those pirates could camp at any of them they could radio ahead to their friends deeper in space whoul could actually work with them.. but in stad since we know the addage no honor among thieves you never know who will backstab whom, or if the guy doing the running has friends waiting for him too.. IN short it would be compared to a starring match nad it woudl be who to blind first..

So already we ahve Enlarge the safe zones and putmultiple entry points into space..

Then let's throw in soething else to the mix.. Namely new vehicles and new weapons..

Look at the skills ever yone has and you know wht skill still has a 1 next to it? Particle Beamer weapon tech...and this one is perhaps the most underused skill (nesxt to teh one I'll mention next) and I say, why not have it where we can ount Particle beam weapons onto our vehicles.. Plasma cannons, or something..

sure the light lasers and the fire of hell and the rotary cannon are okay but we don't have any particle beam ewapoins that could be developed.. adn we got a lot of laser tech guys whoul would just love to jump at the chance to develop such weapons..

and then there's missiles.. and what would be the perfect item to use for thiose/ Explosieve projectiles (yep I'm refering to those items that have a 101 % MU .. and these items could be used to craft missiles (Toss into teh mix other items like targeting sensors or cerrtain components that don't get used that much and add in things that never getr used and suddenly you got a viable market for crafters and arm deaers..

But then let's move on to that second least likely used skill, namely that of the Decoy dispenser.. and this is where using the Decoys off the TT to craft Anti-missile systems would be pretty easy to do, and you'd get decoy dispenser skills if you had a misslile flyig in at you and you droped the appropriate missle defense system..

Sheild tech? Why not/ After all Neil stockton said that ship should have shields.. but then if they have sheil;ds why not have "Anti-Shield " Tech as well. a way to jam or bring ddown a shield so a bunch of fighers could come in and unleash a barrage of missiles agains their intended targert..

Min Jump engines? Think of them like the TP Chips you mount on our quad, oyou power them up using ME, and then you select your jump destinationand jump and just like the bigger warp ships if someone shoots you it breaks the jump lock and you ahve to repeat the process again.. (This would have a bigger impact on the ME market and force resellers to rethinktheir strategy about selling ME.. Instead of selling ME to people who use Buff and synch, they could consider this as another viable source of income.. while still peying on the poor defensless and clueless sweaters (Toldyou guys I'm an equal opporitunnity troll:lolup:!)

But let's move on to oterh things, Why not space miing? There's planet side miing and here it would cause a new way to think.. not only would the miner have to be looking around nervously, hoping some bad guy wouldn't jump out a stal hsi loot an claim, but he could walways call in a hunter or in this case a pirate hunter) to protect him... for a small price of course..

And of course, le't';s not forget the big one, Bounty Hunting.. PIrates and evil doers beware! Bounty Hunters have waffles! :laugh: But seriously imagine you're a pirate and you just killed someone and they tell a bounty hunter and your rep is shot.. Imagine having to be like that space miner you looted... Now as you drop off the loot on planet (if you dear set foot on one, you nervously look around finding a trader or a fence to get rid of the loot, and in te end you might get sniped.. fromteh balcony or a rooftop.. but then we alwys leave an out for them..

and that comes to teh big one.. the Universal auction.. Yes, Pirates you don't have to go down on planet, and in fact this iswhy MA could make a pirate base with a Universal auction, but then conversely there could be a universsal auction on all the neutral stations or stations that are under the proteciton of the Planet PArtner NPC Space patrol..

In short, if you're a pirate you don't have to worry about a bounty hunter getting into your stationto kill you but conversely you'd have to worry if you tired to dump your loot on a planetary station and hopoe you don't get shot down by the NPC space patrol or a pirate hunter/bounty hunter...

And then there's the taxi driver angle for osmoen fo the new players.. and this comes around full circle..

Want to make a little money taking a player up to the station to catch a flight on the a warp ship? grab your sliepnir and pilot up and down and charge for the cost of a thruster and maybe a bit of fuel.. and believe me youc an be however youw ant..

The point is this: Space at this point in time badly needs that overhaul, and probably there are some good ideas here tht MA could develop and use.. they could put more action and excitment into space they could also make it more interesting for both the new player and the old alike, allowing the new player to explore and the older player to protect, or to go out on their own and enjoy space for what it should be..

Right now it's a boring place, but change even these things around, and you get a really interesting and versatile game ..

Other than that, make space bigger. I hate hafing around inside of a box, and let us sexplore those strange new worlds.. who knows? Maybe you'll find Akbal Ximi, or maybe some lost world or figure out how to get deeper and rfurther into space.. Stop making space a box and make it truley 3 d.. give us hazards to pilot around and real space mobs.. after all we're paying the bucks, so my quesiton to MA is tis..

Where's teh Buck Rogers of this Universe?

That's all for now, and feel free to give feedback to all of this..

Until later, keep your eyes to the skies and keep looking up!

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Space Pilot Callgsign "Coyote"
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

Just make all of EU including the planets lootable pvp, problem solved with space as pirates won't want to waste time there since it'll be easier to just stay planetside. :laugh:

After some 2000 flights and enough flight time in space to comver the first 5 years of the RL space program, I've come to some ovservation and changes they cold make to actually improve both not only space, but also to impove the fact that space is going to be around for quite a long time (Sorry to all those folks out there who think TP's are going to come back, but unnless you got a lot of money (and i mean a lot!) to give to MA to convince them otherwise, the reality is this.. Space is here to stay. period..

Now what could they do to acutlly make space more enjoybal and to reduce camping (and force pirates to go actually hunting for players in space? Well it would take a lot less time than someof the suggestions pointed out by some people..

Let's face it Space is about 99.8 % PVP , the other 0.02% being the safe zons located around space stations around not only the planets but the neutral stations located around the board. So you're saying, "Well frankly I don';t like it, but the let me explain the first simple change that the planet partners could force onto MA and this would be a simple solution and whoould actually help more up anc coming "taxi drivers" to get into space a lot sooner.

Frist off, let's start off with a wider safety zone around each of the planeets.. Think of it like Territorial waters around any nation or country in the world that is bordered by an ocean.. (And yes the distances of each safe zone could be varried or even turned off.)

Now what would this do? It would allow players the first real step into space.. and the chance to explore all the way aorund the planet.. provided that the server the planet was on was reduced in size as to the entire pint (Reduce it by say 1/2 and you could actually have a safe buffer where people could come out, fly around the planet and explore.. that way it gets their confidence up and allows them to practice their piloting skills..

Also it would give the space piolots out there a larger area to park their ships around.. and thus reduce the lags that occurr around each station (that's the latency the original OP was talking about.. it's all these ships crammed into one timy area..

Second, let's talk about entry into space from teh surface of a planet, and not entry into a planet from space.. As has been noted before there are a lot of entry point onto a planet from space.. but in the cae of leaving a planet and entering into space, MA only has 1 entry poiint near the station.. and that's it..

This bottleneck is really an issue and helpe promote camping and reduced the fuel a pirate burns.. it also causes the latency that the OP mentions as we have a ton of ships circling a station that has a safe zone that is soo small. This gives the pirats the advantage, and makes the very fat and lazy...:laugh:

But then space is supposed to be about the chase the thrill of being able to outwit an opponent and to stop them or to get away at any cost (Let's be honest, who hasn't seen the famous Star Wars Scene with Han, Luke, Princess Leia, Chewie, and the droids trying to get awy from teh Death Star? This is what space should be.. It should be a game of cunning and not people just hanging around a station hoping for a score from a foolish player..:laugh: (and yes I'm an equal opporitunity mocker here mocking those who are sitting around waiting and those who decide to take a risk only to lose it all and then repeat the process again and again, in order to save money..)

Now then if we had at least 8 entry points into space, those pirates could camp at any of them they could radio ahead to their friends deeper in space whoul could actually work with them.. but in stad since we know the addage no honor among thieves you never know who will backstab whom, or if the guy doing the running has friends waiting for him too.. IN short it would be compared to a starring match nad it woudl be who to blind first..

So already we ahve Enlarge the safe zones and putmultiple entry points into space..

Then let's throw in soething else to the mix.. Namely new vehicles and new weapons..

Look at the skills ever yone has and you know wht skill still has a 1 next to it? Particle Beamer weapon tech...and this one is perhaps the most underused skill (nesxt to teh one I'll mention next) and I say, why not have it where we can ount Particle beam weapons onto our vehicles.. Plasma cannons, or something..

sure the light lasers and the fire of hell and the rotary cannon are okay but we don't have any particle beam ewapoins that could be developed.. adn we got a lot of laser tech guys whoul would just love to jump at the chance to develop such weapons..

and then there's missiles.. and what would be the perfect item to use for thiose/ Explosieve projectiles (yep I'm refering to those items that have a 101 % MU .. and these items could be used to craft missiles (Toss into teh mix other items like targeting sensors or cerrtain components that don't get used that much and add in things that never getr used and suddenly you got a viable market for crafters and arm deaers..

But then let's move on to that second least likely used skill, namely that of the Decoy dispenser.. and this is where using the Decoys off the TT to craft Anti-missile systems would be pretty easy to do, and you'd get decoy dispenser skills if you had a misslile flyig in at you and you droped the appropriate missle defense system..

Sheild tech? Why not/ After all Neil stockton said that ship should have shields.. but then if they have sheil;ds why not have "Anti-Shield " Tech as well. a way to jam or bring ddown a shield so a bunch of fighers could come in and unleash a barrage of missiles agains their intended targert..

Min Jump engines? Think of them like the TP Chips you mount on our quad, oyou power them up using ME, and then you select your jump destinationand jump and just like the bigger warp ships if someone shoots you it breaks the jump lock and you ahve to repeat the process again.. (This would have a bigger impact on the ME market and force resellers to rethinktheir strategy about selling ME.. Instead of selling ME to people who use Buff and synch, they could consider this as another viable source of income.. while still peying on the poor defensless and clueless sweaters (Toldyou guys I'm an equal opporitunnity troll:lolup:!)

But let's move on to oterh things, Why not space miing? There's planet side miing and here it would cause a new way to think.. not only would the miner have to be looking around nervously, hoping some bad guy wouldn't jump out a stal hsi loot an claim, but he could walways call in a hunter or in this case a pirate hunter) to protect him... for a small price of course..

And of course, le't';s not forget the big one, Bounty Hunting.. PIrates and evil doers beware! Bounty Hunters have waffles! :laugh: But seriously imagine you're a pirate and you just killed someone and they tell a bounty hunter and your rep is shot.. Imagine having to be like that space miner you looted... Now as you drop off the loot on planet (if you dear set foot on one, you nervously look around finding a trader or a fence to get rid of the loot, and in te end you might get sniped.. fromteh balcony or a rooftop.. but then we alwys leave an out for them..

and that comes to teh big one.. the Universal auction.. Yes, Pirates you don't have to go down on planet, and in fact this iswhy MA could make a pirate base with a Universal auction, but then conversely there could be a universsal auction on all the neutral stations or stations that are under the proteciton of the Planet PArtner NPC Space patrol..

In short, if you're a pirate you don't have to worry about a bounty hunter getting into your stationto kill you but conversely you'd have to worry if you tired to dump your loot on a planetary station and hopoe you don't get shot down by the NPC space patrol or a pirate hunter/bounty hunter...

And then there's the taxi driver angle for osmoen fo the new players.. and this comes around full circle..

Want to make a little money taking a player up to the station to catch a flight on the a warp ship? grab your sliepnir and pilot up and down and charge for the cost of a thruster and maybe a bit of fuel.. and believe me youc an be however youw ant..

The point is this: Space at this point in time badly needs that overhaul, and probably there are some good ideas here tht MA could develop and use.. they could put more action and excitment into space they could also make it more interesting for both the new player and the old alike, allowing the new player to explore and the older player to protect, or to go out on their own and enjoy space for what it should be..

Right now it's a boring place, but change even these things around, and you get a really interesting and versatile game ..

Other than that, make space bigger. I hate hafing around inside of a box, and let us sexplore those strange new worlds.. who knows? Maybe you'll find Akbal Ximi, or maybe some lost world or figure out how to get deeper and rfurther into space.. Stop making space a box and make it truley 3 d.. give us hazards to pilot around and real space mobs.. after all we're paying the bucks, so my quesiton to MA is tis..

Ouch, I ran into a wall..... lol

You dont want min jump engines for two reasons:
- you cant jump while being shot at/ in a fight
- pirates could jump in on you or ahead of you to intercept

A fast ship like quad capable of jumping is an low cost intercept tool for pirates to ambush anything everywhere any time and even if you shoot one down it can be back fast with reenforcement without needing a large ship as base.

Things that are needed along with larger distances in space, is ships capable of different warp and sub-warp speeds, warp to be redesigned to not be instant anymore, shields, stealth technology to hide, cargo scanners, radars and most importantly two types of fuel.
One that is lootable and one that is not. The lootable one should allow for increased flight speeds at higher costs and risk. This way any pirate who wants to chase down a traveler who is using the lootable fuel would have to bring some lootable stuff with him as well and therefor becomes a valid target for lucrative counterattacks.
This would immediately stop all the whining in space channels about how great one faction is about making the other one waste money and people might actually start talking about great dogfights/dangerous escapes/etc.

A container system, which allows to track lost loot, and reclaim it by chasing the former attacker as well as insuring transported goods value to only risk a certain percentage instead of loosing it all would also contribute to the overall security and help to build a new profession - headhunter.

Sooo many people look at space as the necessary evil between planets.. and yes looked at that way it is a problem for all but those few wierdos who actually enjoy space (yeh I'm one of them)
That said I agree wholeheartedly space need to be improved, it needs to become a proper part of the game instead of the 'space' between the other parts.

My apologies as this turned into a long post.. but I hope one worth reading..
So have split into 2 parts...Travel and use of space itself.

Travel
1. Spawning at random point around planet in PP or at safe space...player choice.
On leaving planet player is offered a choice of going to the SS safe zone, which may be camped by pirates, but where they are safe while the ship spawns,
or
random spawn within say 1 au of planet. Pirates will still flock there but if the area wraps round say 1/3 of planet and can be say +/- 200 then risk is reduced. This would need to be random placing within that whole area rather than using just 2 or 3 places as these would quickly be identified by pirates and camped.
Plus...More smugglers=more pirate activity=more pirate hunters=more activity and fun

2. Safe passages. (Tricky one to do I suspect)
A selection of interlinked space passages big enough for quads/vtols, linking planets and possibly interlinking with each other. They would need to be twisty in 3 dimensions so that pilots need to stay awake and actively fly if they wish to avoid PVP space.
They could also encounter random low end space mobs and passing space rocks/junk, which can damage them unless care taken. This could be removal by shooting and looting (rocks/junk would give mining loots), or wait until it crosses your path and then move on.
Pilots could earn Captain skills as well as Gunner. Perhaps also introduce 'Navigator' skill, for successful flights that have not strayed from path and no damage taken.
Route could be invisible to other players including pirates else space would look like a tangled ball of wool. But pilot of the craft sees corridor ahead a short distance. To avoid loss of ammo shooting at a quad in the a safe corridor and to avoid moaning from pirates... shooting at a vessel in the safe corridor could either use no ammo, or the ship highlights say green for safe, red for pvp and there is ammo burn if pirate stupid enough to ignore the clue.
Plusses
Gives the option for inexpensive safe flights.
A slower but more interesting flight though the idea expressed in a previous post regarding different engines/thrusters could allow players to improve potential speed of passage
Potential for loot including mining loots.
Additional captaincy skills or maybe 'Navigator'
Minuses
Could impact on VIP trade for the Warp ships, though I doubt it, as still a risk of pirates if you stray and also the additional time taken.

Part 2 - the use of space as a proper game environment
1. Better use of physics
Can we please have flight mechanics that have some resemblance with real life, use of reverse thruster to give us air braking (yes I know there is no air in space) this would make dog-fights so much more challenging
2. The need to 'lead a target' when shooting.

3. Space mining
Mining of both space rock and perhaps space junk (bunt out hulks from ships or satellites).
This would ideally be well away from planets and the planetary spacestations, as this would avoid relog to take you to SS with tp to planet. Though that would ofc have risks, due to time it takes to die after relog. But use of more isolated Spacestaions and other empty areas of space could give business to warp vessels, which could be used as true mothership. Miner returns to ship to warp his/her loots to safety.
Maybe a new class of vessel specifically for mining, or mining add-ons to existing ships
This would ofc attract more pirates just as PVP4 attracts players to kill/loot miners.
More pirates = more pirate hunters or even hired protection crews.

4. Space events
i. Migration of spawn of say dropships or skyflail with highest HOF rewards in set time period.
ii. Mining events perhaps, reward on number of different ores/enmats in a set period of time, or ofc highest loots. But I prefer the number of different loots version as that levels the playing field for the newer miners
iii. PVP events - these are riskier as difficult to restrict to participants rather than indiscriminate killing of all space users..but see item 5 below
iv Needle in a haystack.. Hire an MS or use one owned by MA. This then clears it's guest list and is piloted by an avatar with an empty FL or FL set to incognito. Other ships have to search for it and damage it in order to claim a hit. It then warps away and the hunt starts over. Highest number of hits in a weekend wins the prize.

5. Space PVP (non lootable) HUB
A separate server entered through any of several space portals for a fee or token (like entering an instance). Once in the area the ammo cost is reduced as it is during fort events on Caly.
Ships can then either battle each other or NPC ships.
The area will have space mobs too, and large asteroids etc to hide behind.
Prizes could be awarded on a highest kills basis after say 1 week. With points being awarded for Killing space mobs, destroying different player controlled vessel s and NPC vessels, with amount awarded dependent on Mob health/aggro or Ship SI/captain skill level. That way smaller ship that takes on bigger prey/foe gets higher points.
Prize money is self-funding as can be taken largely from entry fees.

7. HP no longer counts in space, nor does captain skill or armour - why not?
So 1 day old newb can kill an uber with single shot
It used to be that once ship destroyed that an avatar wearing pvp gear and having high health would cost pirates more shots for a kill and increase chance of revive before kill shot.
I suggest PVP Armour, Health and Dodge should be factored in to survivability, even if the pirates cry it costs them more, after all it would work for them too. Though this would ofc disadvantage the newer player. Perhaps the advantage could be capped, to make it so they can be killed within the time, but only if the pirate is very accurate.

They just added a 7 ped tp to calypso from Monria. Thank you Mindark! Saves me a lot of time.

hmmm, going through this again but...

One suggestion a few have of us have made, repeatedly, are space gates. Each planet has a gate which leads to the other planets, the space is controlled by the PP.

It's a much simpler method of adding new planets as all you have to do is add another gate to the list of destinations, much like the existing teleport system planet side.

To add the pvp element you have a few servers dedicated to it with resources that would encourage people to enter them, just like the existing lootable pvp areas. Put their exit / entry points within a debris field or gas cloud to reduce visibility to prevent camping and / or add a defense system that shoots down players who hang around it too long or have the debris move so that you can't sit in one place, although this would be the biggest challenge for MA as they seem unable to do this planet side.

The debris could be achieved by rendering and tracking them locally but locking the moving items to the servers time so that when you enter they should appear to each player this doesn't take any server resources to keep track and could mean a far bigger deeper field. This wouldn't stop someone hacking the system but that could be said of a lot of stuff in EU and if you believe the accusations it's already happening with some ships.

Add a space station to it so that if you die you can leave if you want via a gateway teleport system so that you don't require a ship if it's broken and you can't repair it.

With MS and other hyper space ships they can move between the systems directly without using the gates.

Leave MA in control of the PVP areas and the rest get assigned to the planet partners to manage.

A bounty system could be achieved by taking a percentage of any loot taken by a pirate, the more the pirate takes the bigger the bounty on them and as it's managed by the system it prevents people from putting a bounty on system due to personal grudges. But it might be good if the pirates got a special status of killable in or from safe zones - no more camping as they wouldn't be safe or the bigger the bounty on them the smaller the safe zone they have and if it's high enough their killable anywhere.

The one big issue is obvious with any bounty system, how to prevent the pirate letting a "friend or family member" kill them to get the reward.

Last edited:
Lots of good ideas - again!
As you can see there are also high-up MS owners who would like to see big changes for space - they are not just sitting on their transport services.

I also would like to see some kind of windy safe routes with stuff to do along the way, not just a boring hurdle to still give a clear time advantage to warp ships....

I'd like to see mining - that could be in lootable pvp.. or better mu bits of it could be, sure...

I'd like to see different speeds of ships/attachments (but solve the speed hacks first MA!). I'd like to see energy that can be assigned to shields, speed etc, maybe manouvrability too.

Some of the changes do not require many changes to the system.... others require more, but I think it is clear that space needs changes....... c'mon MA :)

The real space race begins.. now..

Lots of good ideas - again!
As you can see there are also high-up MS owners who would like to see big changes for space - they are not just sitting on their transport services.

I also would like to see some kind of windy safe routes with stuff to do along the way, not just a boring hurdle to still give a clear time advantage to warp ships....

I'd like to see mining - that could be in lootable pvp.. or better mu bits of it could be, sure...

I'd like to see different speeds of ships/attachments (but solve the speed hacks first MA!). I'd like to see energy that can be assigned to shields, speed etc, maybe manouvrability too.

Some of the changes do not require many changes to the system.... others require more, but I think it is clear that space needs changes....... c'mon MA :)

I don't disagee with that issue of some things don't have to be changed, but some things do have to be tweaked a little while other things are being totally forgotten..

Case in point.. Space Ships..
and the widening of space itself..

Space itself is as a certain starship Captain put it, "The final Frontier" Space should be vast, not the way it is right now, and By Right now I am refering to just 12 servers (Go onto calypso adn we're talking 30+ Servers for the entire planet.. compare that for just 12 in space.. if this was the case then Calypso is bigger than space itself..

so why not have a 100 servers or 200 make up the entirety of space/ Make it so huge that it would make Sleipnir pilots turn into space shuttle pilots to ferry passengers to and from the stations around the planets, and to turn most quad Interceptors into the proper roles they were designed to do, which is to fight and defend..

But there's also anotehr thing I would like to point out, and it exists right here on this one picture..
It';s the ships.. and I'm refering to new content..

Yep you see what MA was planning, but the real issue right now is that the planets have really no "Space Race" to speak of... We got 4 ships and all of them can go into space.. and travel all the distances between worlds..

The reality is, ther are a lot of potential being lost here, and for good reason.. Space hasn't really developed into what it could be..

If we copared space to the entire planet Calypso, Calypso itself takes up 30 servers.. Imagine having a area at least 6 by five servers wide and long, and haivng to taverse even that area.. then multiply that by 10 or 100 or even a 1000..

I bet now everyone would be wanting bathrooms on their ships..

But right now one of the focuses i would like to see is to turn the Ankira Class Motherships into what they chould be, and that is namely a home not only for Crew and Passengers, but also for fighter squadrons.. and to have a ship properly laid out..

(To be honest the Layout of the Mother ship is really badly designed.. I've seen better designed nuclear carrirs in the Navy that are laid out to house up to 2000 people.. to not only to travel on, but to figh on if the case is necessary (and that's where the fighters come in..)

But then Let's look at the planets in general.. and see if any of them are developing stuff..

Calypso? No word from the Calypso Air and Space Administration (CASA)

Rocktropia? Sure you can buzz around in your PRX, but to have a space fighter of their own? Nope nothing on the boards..

Next Island? The perfect haven for all you pirates..

Toulan? Well if the Toulanians get their act together they could actually develop a star fleet of sorts..

Cyrene? well they had the Imperium mothership and fighter designs out on paper, but they're still waiting to roll one off the boards..

Arkadia? Well .. Dunno about them but I guess until Arkadia Joins the space race looks like us Arkadians will have to use the old fashioned quad..

and if Monria gets started well it would be interesting to see if Monria would have it's own shipyard..

but to be hoenst, Space needs to be expanded, both vertically and laterally.. in fact just recently I saw a rather interesting video of another upcoming game and this game gives you the real feel of space.. complete with visual and auditory cues so you know which way you are flying..

But seriously.. withut players and the funding to back these endeavors, we're going to be stuck withthe same old content..

After all John Glenn from the right stuff said this..

"You know what makes this bird go up? Funding. No bucks mean no buck rogers.. and the press over there, they want to see Buck Rogers, and that 's us."

Frankly unles speople can start to commit to wanting to explnd space and to explore it, will thie space area we know currently will be allowed to expand.. and to grow, but the more we ignore it, the less will be done..

After all space is supposed to have challenges, it's supposed to be for the problem solvers and not the "Point and clickers..(Where's teh joystick support/ Where's teh 3 d represenation oon our huds? To me, Space has become a rather boring PVP zone that lacks the imagination we all have..

So then, what are we going to do? Talka bout it? or get toether and form a movement to get space modernized.. Tell MA wht should be in space.. and tell them what we need..

After all Funding is what got the space program started in teh states, and it was Pride in hard work that made us chase the endeavors we so seek..

So then, who's for this task fo getting us into space?
and to make it fun and enjoyable, not only for the PK'ers but also for the non PVP'er as well..?

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
BA.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

Size isn't the issue, nor the gap between planets. If it were interesting then people would be there but it isn't.

I'd disagree with the only some ships between planets, StarWars would have been boring film if the Xwing's couldn't jump into hyperspace.

The issue is MA are trying to be a platform provider and with space their effectively a planet partner competing against their own customers - the PP's.

If the rumour of MA selling space is true then we might see some development but other than that I doubt we'll see other than piecemeal attempts.

Separating space from MA and having each region on it's own server owned and maintained by a PP and we could see a one with no planet and only space stuff.

just give each PP a % ownership in space based on their planet activity / population and them them all contribute and do group effort projects for space

>^.^<

Travel from one planet to another

I have one question here it is. How do I travel from one planet to another? I forget how to do that because I have not been participating (playing) for a couple months and I just came back. Any assistance would be helpful thanks in advance.

Back