Taming with a whip in VU 15.0 on Planet Calypso

Akbar

Stalker
Banned
Society
ViaDolorosa

We have been told with the VU 15.0 that Taming would be back like it was before the vu10.0.
If the way to train pets completly changed (at least for me), to give the feeling to be simply a money pit with no skill gains back, the new way to tame pets with a whip also completly changed in the same feeling.

Let me explain you ;

In VU 15.0, the process to get pets is still the same as before, but with few differences...

There is A Spirit field, and A Respect field.

* Remember that all other weapons which are not whips will kill the tamable creatures.
** Use another weapon while a taming process started will stop this process.

You start to hit with a whip the tamable mob, here on Calypso is a Bristlehog Puny,
and the system detects automatically that you are doing a taming process.

taming_process_01.jpg

When you reach the appropriate limit (if I can call it like this),
a message appears telling you that you can do a Tame Attempt "Tame Now".

To try to do the taming attempt, do a right clic.
Then some kind of spell is happening, telling you the result if your attempt worked or not.

Success = Animal is Tamed!
Fail = Taming attempt failed.

The successfully tamed pet will be stored automatically in your inventory without needing it to be feeded, which is a good thing.

Pre VU 10, I tamed over 300 pets, which in big majority were Daikiba Stalkers, the hardest ones.
To get successful attempts all the time, you had to know exactly in what optimal condition the future pet had to be.
So you needed to have Knowledges, and technic.

Now on VU15.0, the knwoledge and technic aspects have been removed, and replaced by a choice decided by mindark to give or not to give you the successful attempt.
I had several times the good Spirit and Respect rates, anyway the attempts were failed, showing what I just described.
In other words, the successful attempt is not something fair... at least today.
And be sure I have FAR the necessary profession level to succeed all the time,
even if I chipped out 5k Animal Taming skills 5 years ago.

taming_process_02.jpg

I would say this is not a big deal with the actual low decay whips we are using today.
But we are supposed to be able to tame higher HP mobs, with higher decay whips...

The skill gain while & after a successful attempt was not great, but this is may be due to the low decay of the whip, I wish this to improve with stronger whips.

Also notice that I had an excessive amount of 3 Target Evaded Attack in a row,
even more than when I go hunt (you dont think you abuse a bit too much there mindark ?).
Be hit while you are in a taming process will reduce the Respect bar, which by simple logic will unable you to reach the necessary rate to get the "Tame Now" activated.
You need to wait for it to rise again and reach the white bar limit.

The choice to take Bristlehogs as tamable creature is for sure linked to this aspect of increase the number of fails, since it requires the avatar to be skilled in Dodger profession, and not Evader like are the majority of creatures in the FULL game.
Anyway, with my little 44 dodger, they rarely missed me...
Those puny brist are uber creatures apparently...

Btw, Mindark removed the Pet tab we always had in the Library of Actions in the VU 15.0, to unable us to have a direct access to the Trick actions (Greet, Dance, Sit...).

Notice that doing the right clic to do the "Tame Now" action is not working all the time = nothing happens, need to right clic again several times, and during this time the mob hits you again, creating for sure a failed attempt. (But I guess it will be again the fault of the lag if we ask why...).

Anyway, this was my experience of Taming pets with a whip in VU 15.0.
Feel free to comment and share your experiences too :)

Last edited:
Right Click Attempt tame will only work if your reload timer is finished, so wait until your whip is reloaded and then click the Attempt tame and it wont fail :)

Edit to Clarify: by not fail I mean you will actually make the attempt and not just stand there staring at the creature. (this doesn't affect the chance to succeed)

Attempt tame does work, i have used it myself on all the pets i have tamed so far.

thanks for the info,
since I owe to OP an apology too, because I made him sad at some point (by misreading his post)
++1 :)
btw right click for me never worked and I always used the action button.

The attempt to Tame works once the whip has reloaded. I generally push the respect over the limit to give time for the Tame. Puny mobs are cute but I would like to try some bigger mobs.

- Part 2 -

Taming with whip

So I continued to Tame, and I still say that the Successful Taming process is not something linked to knowledge or technic, but really a mindark parameter where they will give it to you when they want.
I had many times failed when the Spirit and Respect were filling the necessary conditions, but also the "Tame Now" not happening even with again the right conditions filled.

Here on this picture, I failed 7 Times in a row, and finally did it after the 8th attempt.

Fail 8 times in a row, even if this is for sure totally unfair, is no big deal considering the low decay of the whip used necessary for Bristlehog puny, but when we will use stronger whips, which will decay FAR more, may be people will start to agree that it is not fair and display their unhappyness...
Again, I filled up the conditions to get a succesful tame EACH time.

Now for the skill gain bonus given after a successful taming attempt, is for my personal datas 1/10.
Meaning that I had a skill gain 1 time for 10 mobs tamed. (pretty weak).

Btw, mobs, even bristlehog in the taming process are turning around and this is crazy boring, so could you PLEASE mindark remove this RETARD behaviour...
(Notice that mobs turning around have been made to gain an advantage from people shooting in auto-mode making them shoot slower, and making the stamina rise more... in other words, an EX...).

Suggestion on Taming Bar display

Original Display
tame_bar_original.jpg

Actually we are losing a part of the Spirit & Respect bars because the texts are displayed INSIDE the bar area that I show in my picture in light blue.
Notice that when the "Tame Now" is happening, the text is displayed OUT of the bar (on the right), so this should be the same for Spirit and Respect on the left of the bar.
The range of the bar to keep the pet in "Tame Now" process correspond to 7.5% which is very small, since be hit 1 time makes us lose the attempt.

New Display
tame_bar_new.jpg

On this picture, I moved the texts Respect & Spirit to the left, like the Heart icon is positionned, and you can see now (green arrow) that the Spirit and Respect bars are starting (and ending) like the HP bar.

Pet Training - VU15.0.1 New Tricks

vu15.0.1_new_tricks.jpg

Apparently with the VU 15.0.1,
some new Trick names are replacing "Bow" and "Roll over", to "Balance" and "Spin" (for snablesnot pets)

I shared some datas in Tamlin's Thread (before this update, so in the VU 15.0)

Else to that, each Bow at 99% gave an XP increase of 1%, (Focus % cost varies between 1 to 7%)

Now, I dont get anymore 1% for each "Bow"/"Balance", but this is varrying from 1 (rare) to 1/5.

This is a little mindark nerf, be sure some bigger nerfs will happen in a near future...

Interesting read. although we do have pets just passively level up just by standing there and consuming nutrio at quite reduced rate, the skill gain there is minimal as well. This focus variable that resets over time does allow for quick 1% gain when it is at or around 100%, but leveling a pet up to meaningful levels (so far not sure how many are available) will be either very time consuimg or very costly, unless stables provide an alternative for that.

In terms of taming itself, I was using the attempt tame action button to try, worked fine, although I did have some misses, which is bloody shocking considering teh mob level and my taming levels, hopefully they will address that in the future.

Ty Akbar for sharing this info :)
This far been playing with pets I had in storage, nice heads up.

Akbar, you forgot one parameter, Mindark coffers empty=fail, MA coffers full=success

nice and easy :)

Wear some armor .. the stats drop during taming depending on the amount of damage the creatures does.. i started wearing some armor half way into my first whip and it helped a lot : )

Ido

Wear some armor .. the stats drop during taming depending on the amount of damage the creatures does.. i started wearing some armor half way into my first whip and it helped a lot : )

Ido

It is true that I was wondering if protect myself from electric in this case would help.
I forgot to test it, but that was in plan.
I'll give results in a "part 3" then :)

Some suggestions for a cheap electric armor ?
I think i'd prefer to be naked than use my TB for that...

attempt tame definitely works, and is the main way I've been taming the nusul here on ark. I have quickkey linked to it and spam the hell out of that key when I get to the place where the taming can be attempted. Usually I get a mob tamed after three tries on that key. However, sometimes the mob does attack you in the mean time and goes below where you can attempt again. I agree, the real life skillz to tame is now not as high as it used to be in the old system, but it more or less works the same... and actually much better game-wise since old system was very much a guessing game on if you were ready to attempt tame or not, which was a major pain in the ass.

One big difference though is that hp can be decreased on mob with guns and non-whip weapons, even though that does not impact the taming bar's locations. That's a huge difference from the old system since old system, if I remember correctly, caused the mob to become non-tameable if it was hit even once with something other than a whip, which allowed folks to tag mobs that tamers were trying to tame and screw up the taming attempt completely, requiring you to tame in very lonely locations. I'm not sure if the ability to lower hp on mob will play a big impact in higher maturity mobs when they are in the new system, but suspect that it will have to on some level... especially if they are high regeneration mobs.

The range of the bar to keep the pet in "Tame Now" process correspond to 7.5% which is very small, since be hit 1 time makes us lose the attempt.

sounds like you need a lower damage whip. Love my little Unlimited viper. With it I have several more hits on the nusul before they die after bar drops down. I usually hit them at least once more than needed before attempting so that I have a little leeway.

sounds like you need a lower damage whip. Love my little Unlimited viper. With it I have several more hits on the nusul before they die after bar drops down. I usually hit them at least once more than needed before attempting so that I have a little leeway.

It was logic, but I precise here for those who did not understand the sentence correctly.

The range of the bar to keep the pet in "Tame Now" process correspond to 7.5% which is very small, since be hit 1 time (by the animal you try to tame) makes us lose the attempt.

Btw, I went to RT to tame Panters.
I did some "pretty" interesting discovers there...
I plan to go Cyrene to check & comfirm what I found on RT...

Let's meet in my Part 3 of this thread.

Yet I do not plan to go Arkadia,
so you would be nice to do a scan of the Nusul Puny stats and post it here, thank you.
Anyway, to improve my knowledges of how Taming is impleneted in the whole game, it seems i will have to go check all planets.
Cyrene might give me some precisions after what I figured out at RT...

Usually I get a mob tamed after three tries on that key. However, sometimes the mob does attack you in the mean time and goes below where you can attempt again.

By 3 tries,
you mean 3 times whip and you can do the tame attempt,
or you need its hp to regenerate 2 times (basic hp + 2 x regen = 3) to tame it ?

One big difference though is that hp can be decreased on mob with guns and non-whip weapons, even though that does not impact the taming bar's locations. That's a huge difference from the old system since old system, if I remember correctly, caused the mob to become non-tameable if it was hit even once with something other than a whip, which allowed folks to tag mobs that tamers were trying to tame and screw up the taming attempt completely, requiring you to tame in very lonely locations.

I really doubt that this is a new feature made deliberately by mindark, but more, or something forgotten by their super design team, or a bug.
At least by revealing this "special" aspect of the process, some updates might happen.
I simply did not try it as I thought it would be like it was before, since I knew the bad effects.

And true, while I tamed in the past, but hopefully only 2-3 times, there have been idiots who had nothing more intelligent to do than come and shoot your animal in taming process "for fun".
Once shot, you had to wait the FULL HP of the mob, to be able to redo a new taming process.

By 3 tries,
By 3 tries I mean when attempt tame notification is up, I get the deed after I spam the quickkey at least three times, but with the way lag is, etc. it might just be working on first try... :laugh:

:) thank you M.

Here are the calypso (bristlehog), and Roctropia (Panter), Tamable mobs.

brist-tanter_puny.jpg

You can see the stats are for all mobs exactly the sames...

Anyway, "exactly the same" doesnt mean "exactly the same"...
I'll explain later in my part 3 (need to go Cyrene first)... If i can find some free time...

Last edited:
Taming with a whip in VU 15.0 in The Universe
- Part 3 -

My gear And My way to do

Actually I tame the available puny mobs using a Dominax Original Mamba.
I'm taming mobs on the 1st full hp, if I dont get the taming attempt immediately, then I kill the mob.

I wear a Thunderbird armor L when taming bristlehog due to their electric hits, And I have been wearing pixie armor to tame the panters.
Anyway, I comfirm that wearing an armor is bringing NOTHING better in the taming process than being naked.

I was hoping (as it felt logic) that the armor protection would reduce the bar decrease when hit particularily in the 7.5% given for the tame attempt.
But no, naked or armored is changing nothing, 1 see 2 hits makes the process fail or bring back into untamable aspect.

Attempt Taming Process

I corrected a little mistake I did in my first post, and I improve things here :

I HUGELY advise people to use the Taming Icon from the Library of Actions.
The right clic given to do the tame attempt is not working correctly all the time, resulting in you doing 1 more whip hit, which can result in the kill of the future pet.
And, knowing Mindark since more than 10 years now, I'm saddly saying that I'm really not astonished that it can behave this way.

Notice that doing the right clic to do the "Tame Now" action is not working all the time = nothing happens, need to right clic again several times, and during this time the mob hits you again, creating for sure a failed attempt. (But I guess it will be again the fault of the lag if we ask why...).

So again, use the Taming action to do the Tame attempt.

attempt_tame.jpg

Taming Pets in the Universe

At first, Notice that ALL puny mobs available to be tamed have exactly the same stats, same HP.
(see scans above in this thread, and the Young Asset from Cyrene).

I first went to Roctropia, as I wanted to tame the Panter Puny.

There I realised that the taming process was different than what I experienced on Calypso with the Bristlehogs.
For EACH of them I had to wait a second full HP regeneration to see the 1st "Tame Now" message.
Meaning that EACH TIME I went in my Sleipnir (to avoid to be hit) and wait the panter's HP to come back to full.
I tamed 30 Panters, and I can tell you (compared to calyspo) that this was something really boring to do, knowing that Calypso was clearly easier.

This is why I needed to gather more datas from another planet like Cyrene, to know how it would behave.

So I went to Cyrene today, and it comfirmed my fears showing that taming mobs on other planets than Calypso is harder...

I tamed 3 Arret Young on Cyrene, and gave up and left Cyrene after 30 minutes there.
So, similar to Roctropia I had to wait for a 2nd full HP regen to be able to get a 1st "Tame Now" message.
I show screenshots below showing the taming process :

First full hp = 5 whip hits / I wait on my Sleipnir until full HP / next whip hits (9) to "finally" get the "Tame Now" msg.

So it took me 9 whip hits to get the "Tame Now" message on 1st Arret I tamed, 12 on the second, and 14 on the 3rd with EACH TIME obliged to wait a second HP regen like it was also the case at Roctropia with Panters.
I cant affirm that Arkadia would behave the same, but i bet it does.

Once back to Calypso (from Cyrene), I did this video, which is showing how EASIER it is to tame Bristlehogs.
Notice that i DO NOT need to wait a full hp regen to get the "Tame Now" message, in average I get the msg after 3-4-5 whip hits, and I get honnestly a good 85% of successfull tame attempts, knowing like I said at the start of this post, that I kill the mob if I dont get the msg immediatly (judging by the number of bristlehogs I tame).
See here, I get the msg after 1st 4 whip hits, 2nd 6 hits, 3rd 4 hits, 4th 4 hits.

So the message is CLEAR,
if you want to skill taming with a whip, stay on Calypso.
By the way, I really wonder what Planet Partners would think, knowing their animals are harder to tame than Calypso's.
I let them draw their own conclusions...

To finish, I must say that I get the same number of Target Evaded Attack (1,2,3 mixed or in a row), like when I hunt Warrior Elites, pretty (we see nothing) "odd" for a 20hp mob.
But I bet I can wait 10 more years to know why...

Have fun taming peeps ! :)

Waiting for STAGE 2...

Taming with a whip in VU 15.0 at Arkadia
- Part 4 -

I went to Arkadia last night with one of my disciples for him to get the Adjusted Musca armor,
and did some Taming on the local puny mob, the Nusul Puny.

Taming the Nusul Puny on Arkadia is finally a bit easier than the 2 other punys from Roctropia and Cyrene.
I could manage to tame a few on the 1st full HP only, but anyway wait a 2nd HP regen is VERY often needed to get the "Tame Now" message to be able to do a tame attempt.

I get a result of 15% success which is pretty low compared to the 85%+ i have on Calypso, but for sure more honorable than the ZERO% from Roctropia & Cyrene (with my cryterias to tame immediately or kill).
* Anyway I have been a bit soft with my results to wait some hp regen when the tame now msg felt to be close.

damage per click with the whip definitely does matter, especially on low level mobs like puny. Your findings seem about right.

Mamba:
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&name=Dominax_Original_Mamba
Damage types
Cut: 1 HP
Impact: 5 HP

Viper:
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=Weapon&id=424
Damage types
Cut: 1 HP
Impact: 2 HP

Someday, I may buy a Mamba or something similar for higher level mobs than the puny...

In theory, you should use Mamba for first hit or two, and then lower damage whip like mamba for the rest, assuming that taming is going to work like it used to pre-vu10... because the closer you get to killing the mob, the lower the damage you want to be doing.

Pre VU 10 I did tame some exosaur and snablesnots with the viper, but it took a very long time and a hell of a lot of armor decay and fapping to get the job done. Those extra few impact damage probably would help some. However, some of the new L whips might do the job just as well as a UL mamba, but without that super high max tt value. I'm hoping Mindark creates more whips in the upcoming vus as next stages of taming become unleashed.

Back