3rd person view or not?

Mortality

Mature
Belladonna Bella Fitzcombe
Reading throught the forums theres been discussion about playing in 3rd person view or not, whats your preferance and why?

I play 3rd person view from habit from playing other mmorpgs.

depends on the mob. For droids and pvp i play 1st person. But on big mobs where in first person i can't see the health bar i scroll out to 3rd person. But i switch it up very often. Usually starting a mob off in 1st person and ending up in 3rd person by the time all is said and done. Im a big fan of the 'z' hotkey which quickly switches between the 2 :)

[Edit] Also the FPS is alot higher in 1st person mode. So its easier to find fruit and dung when walking about in 1st person.

I have always been a FPS fiend since BF1942 so I prefer to play that way. Only time I really use 3rd person is when I am bored looking for poo or fruit :tongue2: or I want a top down view of my avie :)

Its just a matter of preference I think most people who play melee :boxer: tend to be 3rd person while using fire arms is more of a FP type of thing.

When hunting, absolutely not. I always use 1st person and the cursor in aim mode. I find it MUCH more accurate and faster to use when avoiding mobs, aiming etc.
The only situation when I zoom out in 3rd person is when lagging, or when I'm just doing runs and enjoy the larger view.

i usally hunt in 1st person view. to see the healthbar from the mob, i drag the bar from the mob away and place it near my aimimage.
When i walk, i use 3rd person view

When running about I run in 3rd.

Lets me see whats around and about (or chasing me).

When it comes to actually doing somthing, I zoom (scroll wheel) into 1st. Then I can see what I am doing.

Best of both worlds. :laugh:

3rd person scrolled out all the way when traveling. 1st person when hunting. Occasionally, 3rd person and hit "n" to get a crosshair when up close and personal with big mobs.

I use 3rd person view when mining usualy (better overall view of the terrain) and also when chillin mode is on<--using my left hand for smoking, drinking etc. and play only with mouse. When shooting I switch back to 1st person if I am not too lazy to do that or if a mob is easy one that needs only a few shots to kill it. For more serious hunting definately using 1st person. :smoke:

I like the first person view because you have crosshairs so you know exactly where you are pointing especially with rifle and pistol. You can back up with the S key or move forward if the critter is 'on top of you and your inside it'. Looting is a right click of the mouse. Its alot more exact to where you want to go than clicking on the terrain

IMHO

I prefer to use 3rd person while walking,running and mining .
For hunting with longranged or melee i switch or scroll to 1st person view always.

I swop betw the 2 the whole time. Running around i run in 3rd person , shooting etc i do in 1st person. Its the person's preference. I've always liked 3rd person although i come from alot of fps games which is only first person.

About always in FPS mode, Options: "First person mode default" + "Aim mode on" + "left click operates item" + "auto deselect" (others off).

This setting makes it possible to shot occasionally all mobs around
me to keep them on me and keep them not giving criticals
while I kill one of them. And it gives a quick chance to heal teammates
(I keep the weakest one selected so I see his green box and know
his whereabouts).

Health bar of the mob I naturally see in the view, since I shoot or
melee it. Why on earth I should not see it hehe? (I keep
the chat boxes and toolbar away from the upper corner and
the loot window tugged under the radar (press V + spacebar,
move it there, press V).

I use Z very seldom to check where the teammates are facing, to see
where folks are about to go. And checking how the noobtrain goes on
and such.

Unless im taking an film / movie or just want to see what’s behind me I always play First person view. I use 1st / 3rd person view as z for easy switching by the way!

Now with guns I find it much better to shot from 1st person and I don’t use that auto target feature. I find I miss way less shots and get better damage.

Some History on 3rd person view!

At one point the 3rd person view was very good for avoiding Danger; you where able to zoom out to at least twice as much as you can now!

Which I found great for avoiding spiders to name just an few mobs.

Samantha Carter said:
[Edit] Also the FPS is alot higher in 1st person mode. So its easier to find fruit and dung when walking about in 1st person.

How is this possible? I rarely find fruit in 1st person mode. Only when im backing up when fighting a mob.

Seems like I'm in the majority here. Hunting is deffinately a 1st person view but most everything else I do in 3rd person. Sometimes I do tend to use the 1st person view when going into the smaller buildings (like shoptainers) but that's only because I find it easier than trying to look through the ceilings of the buidings :laugh:

I use 3rd person all the time, even hunting.

But I'm mostly a melee hunter, and I use the draggable health bars rather than aiming.

I also use 3rd person view all the time and I'm a ranged hunter. I think it gives me a better overview of my surroundings so I can avoid mobs ganging up on me.
I have and still play a lot of fps games so I'm very used to the 1st person mode, 3rd person on here however is more comfortable in my opinion.

I have read in previous topics observations (not facts) about missing less when aiming manually, still I always use auto-target feature. For an amped opalo hunter I think I miss too many shots, but as the returns from hunting are still positive I haven't really pursued this matter.

Some tricks i use are use of Z button to go back to 1st person, so for a fast peek behind you zoom out with mouse wheel press mouse wheel and take a peek ,to return fast to 1sr person view use the Z button.

I suggest always use 1st person view always, you aim more precise plus less lag as suggested above. for walking or taking a peek 3rd person is nice for hunt is has no use even for melee you miss more when using 3rd person.

Lag influences the amount of hits, that started some VU ago and MA didnt do !@$@!#$% to fix it so beware how you use the camera.

I do the same that most in here mention, using either the wheel or 'z' to move the camera around.

But I'm curious about the original question: When you say "third person" do you mean first person with the camera pulled back? Or do you mean the mode where you click on the ground and your avi walks to the little green arrow where you clicked? Those are two different "third person" modes.

I sometimes use the click to walk mode when I want to auto-walk with a friend, but not very often. Also useful for finding fruit and dung.

Saffy said:
I use 3rd person all the time, even hunting.

But I'm mostly a melee hunter, and I use the draggable health bars rather than aiming.

What are draggable health bars?

When I hunt alone I use 1st person in aim mode as I have found this the easiest to use. However, when I hunt in a team situation I use a combination of 3rd and 1st person, using z to toggle between the 2. Using 3rd person, scrolled out allows me to see where the other team members are located and so allows me to stay clear of their line of fire, I then go back to 1st person to fire at the mob.

If I am just wandering around I tend to use the 3rd person mode

Gem

goldpython said:
I sometimes use the click to walk mode when I want to auto-walk with a friend...

I do this too. Kira showed me this on of our trips together. Aside from that, I usually do everything in third person. If I try to use first person the view seems too constricted and I feel claustrophobic after a bit. However, first person is exceptionally useful when engaging in photgraphy. elimanate the HUD, go to first person, get rid of the crosshairs, and just fire away! Just my two pecs....

Donald

Gem Stone said:
What are draggable health bars?
Gem
If you get rid of the crosshairs and get the mouse, if you click and drag on the mob, you'll drag away the mob's health bar and it'll stay on the screen. You can then either get the crosshairs back and proceed as before or you can actually attack the mob by double-clicking on the health bar. It's very helpful when in melee combat because often you'll get too close to actually see the health that's normally displayed. Attacking by using the health bar automates a couple things: It'll automatically aim, and if you're out of the current weapon's range, it will automatically bring you in to the weapon's outer range limit. I think there has been discussion about whether or not you get fewer or more misses this way, but I don't know. If you single click on it, it highlights the mob by putting the familiar box around it, sometimes a useful thing if you drag out several health bars from a crowd, sometimes a handy thing if you're looking for particular maturity in a large crowd. It helps you find the mobs again. I think a right click on it may produce an attack as well, but couldn't swear to it; I double click.

Saffy said:

How do you remember which mob is which? Draggable bars are OK to
me only when a lot of lag and I want to keep someone not in a team
alive. Even then the draggable bar does not always work, sending
me going a slow route around obstacles (other mobs).

i only find healthbars usefull when fighting several mobs in aim mode. I dont want to be hitting 2 mobs at the same time and the health bars make that more clear. They are also very usefull when sweating. Whenever a mob is dry i drag the bar to the right side of my screen so that i wont sweat it again. Not that im sweating a lot these days. :)

I rarely use the healthbar to actually shoot because i think you will shoot slower that way than with aim mode. Also, when shooting at a moving target you will almost always miss when clicking the healthbar.

I just wanted to throw this out: I went home last night and switched to 3rd person with a view toward hunting. I love it! I have managed to shake off that claustrophobic feeling and my hunting skills are much improved as a result. There is something about this mode that allows me to more accurately target and dispatch the game. Thanks to goldpython and others who have helped me discover this truly superior mode of operation.

Sincerely,
Donald

P.S. I really do feel that as a direct result of using this new method, I am advancing faster in acquiring the various associated skills. I am not sure why that would be unless it is because I really can aim and hit with much greater accuracy.

Back