Question: 1440p

Teiwaz Storm

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Teiwaz Storm Ing
I plan on buying new 27'' monitor.
Not decided yet but I'm torn between 1080p and 1440p.

Having more space is awesome but I wonder how Entropia's interface scale to big resolution.
Do anybody play EU at 1440p (or more) and could you post your experience and possibly screenshot of interface?

Don't recommend any higher than 1080p on EU... unfortunately the UI sucks and doesn't scale.

With new chat interface having large, extra large text helps. But things like health bar and names (both yours/players/npcs & mobs) are barely readable and that is if you're sitting very close and trying to make out a few letters.

Trying to read position in order to make a waypoint on the map or teleporting with tp chip is impossible without using magnifying glasses.

Overall EU's UI doesn't fly well with high resolutions..

If you want to try it yourself before buying the new monitor.

Google "Downsampling" and find a guide, other option if you have nvidia graphics card you can use their "Dynamic Super Resolution" a.k.a "downsampling with fancy filter" to add bigger resolutions not supported by your monitor.

Note: The game will look like (1440p) or whatever resolution you set. But it will downsample it to 1920x1080. The UI will have the same affect as if you had a real 1440p monitor.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you confirm what I was suspecting...
Thanks for your input!

Unfortunately you confirm what I was suspecting...
Thanks for your input!

I wish I had better news :ahh: I can only dream of playing EU in 4K...

Edit:
Tried to upload 1440p on forum but it only accept jpg.. so it became shitty quality.

This should give you an idea. My eye sight hurts from playing this way. Highly don't recommend it. xD

Last edited:

This should give you an idea. My eye sight hurts from playing this way. Highly don't recommend it. xD

Picture speak 1000 worlds... unfortunately we just had UI revamped not long ago so I doubt it would be improved any time soon to provide scalability :(
Not to mention long due border-less window mode...

i play on a 1440 monitor and while EU doesnt do the monitor justice, it does allow me to play EU in a 1080p window and have other things going on such as steaming a show, webpage, chat, etc

Buy the 1440p monitor, a 1440 sitting next to a 1080p monitor makes the 1080p one look blurry. (Seriously it looks terrible :D)

Also, you can always set the resolution ingame to 1080p and still have it fullscreen, fixes the UI issues but won't be as crisp if your use to 1440p.

Don't let EU make the decision on the monitor, 1440p looks amazing in every other game and just doing desktop stuff/microsoft word etc. Once you go up to 1440p you will never go back.

Edit: Also the above picture has a lot of compression that loses quality. I Don't have trouble reading text at 1440p I play a 1440p all the time unless doing windowed mode stuff, but if you have older eyes/not very clear vision you might strain, but again then you can just revert to 1080p in entropia.
I included a no-compression screenshot of ingame at 1440p below, hosted on imgur cause I think it's bigger than PCF gallery allowance.

Edit Edit: For funsy's I also included what my layout would look like at 1080p.
1440P http://i.imgur.com/FcVNl2Y.jpg
1080P http://i.imgur.com/3vjTDX6.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Da!

I did not ditched idea of 1440p just because EU. It is still an option I consider.

Considering also G-sync, but the only 1440p with G-sync I found is too expensive to justify it.
Therefore I need to decide if to buy 1080p with G-sync or regular 1440p.
On top of price comes extra cost of upgrading GPU as I do not think my current one would be performing well enough for 1440p (could do ok with G-sync tho).

So as you see many factors to consider, EU's interface was just one of many checks I do ;)

Thanks Da!

I did not ditched idea of 1440p just because EU. It is still an option I consider.

Considering also G-sync, but the only 1440p with G-sync I found is too expensive to justify it.
Therefore I need to decide if to buy 1080p with G-sync or regular 1440p.
On top of price comes extra cost of upgrading GPU as I do not think my current one would be performing well enough for 1440p (could do ok with G-sync tho).

So as you see many factors to consider, EU's interface was just one of many checks I do ;)

Not completely sure but I don' think the g-sync will make that mutch of a difference as it only forces the monitor to refresh at the best possible times to minimize motion blur and some chop.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-g-sync-review-guide,1.html

Might be better to go for the AMD equivalent when the next generation of cards comes out IF you decide to upgrade those http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-freesync-will-be-adopted-by-vesa.html

Also I understand that VESA will be introducing a new standard based on similar technology.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-adds-adaptive-sync-to-displayport-video-standard.html

Just some of my random thoughts and why i'm waiting to see what happens. Really would love 4k or 5k for EU.

Thanks for links, will check if they say something more than I did already read.

I spoke with friend who use 1080p with G-sync and he told me that it makes big difference for him (mostly FPS games).

Thanks for links, will check if they say something more than I did already read.

I spoke with friend who use 1080p with G-sync and he told me that it makes big difference for him (mostly FPS games).

On 1080p I think it would make a difference if you're going for looks/eyecandy. I just think that the trade off on the input lag would make things more unenjoyable for me personally as I have enough times that I get lag spikes.

On 1080p I think it would make a difference if you're going for looks/eyecandy. I just think that the trade off on the input lag would make things more unenjoyable for me personally as I have enough times that I get lag spikes.

Why you think it would give you input lag?

The way I understand G-Sync is that it eliminates input lag, along with screen tearing and stutter.
Input lag and stutter are problems that emerge when Vsync is on AND GPU produces images at lower rate than native refresh on monitor. Screen tearing is present if Vsync is off and framerate is not in sync with refresh (almost always due to dynamic nature).

I would rather invest in a 120 hz screen rather then the usuall 60 hz.

It just feels and looks more amazing :)

I've got a 1440p screen, a QNIX QX2710 (OC'able ;)) and 1440p doesn't look great in EU but it's amazing for other things! And the fact that I have my screen running at 110hz doesn't hurt either :p

But I'd really recommend a 1440p screen, the extra screenspace is amazing for alot of things, and movies look great as well.

Freddie

Back