Question: Singapore's Remote Gambling Bill 2014...

Perhaps if Entropia was considered Gambling. It however is not gambling and was proven somehow to authorities.

Its funny, when people lose, it must be Gambling....when there are players always winning....it must be a conspiracy.

The truth is that this is a game with a set cost to play, it is just that people want to believe it is free, and that they deserve to win.

The CEO of Arkadia studios has said he isn't concerned about it.

Well....afaik,

Meaning of gamblingand associated terms
4.(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires
betting means the staking of money or moneys worth
(a) on the outcome of a horse-race or sporting event (whether or not the horse-race or sporting event has already occurred or been completed); or
(b) on any other event, thing or matter specified or described by the Minister, by notification in the
Gazette, to be betting for the purposes of this Act;

gamblingmeans all or any of the following:
(a) betting;
(b) gaming;
(c) participating in a lottery;
gambling servicemeans
(a) a service for the conduct of a public lottery;
(b) a service for the supply of any public lottery tickets;
(c) a service for the negotiating, placing, making, receiving or accepting of bets; or
(d) a service for the conduct of a game of chance where the game is played for money or moneys worth, and a customer of the service gives or agrees to give money or moneys worth to play or enter the game;

game of chance includes
(a) a game that involves both an element of chance and an element of skill; or
(b) a game that is presented as involving an element of chance, but does not include any game, method, device, scheme or
competition specified or described by the Minister, by order in the Gazette, as not to be a game of chance for the purposes of this Act;

gamingmeans playing a game of chance for money or moneys worth;
lottery”—
(a) means any game, method, device, scheme or competition whereby money or moneys worth is distributed or allotted in any manner depending upon or to be determined by chance or lot, whether the same is held, drawn, exercised or managed inside or outside Singapore; and
(b) includes any other game, method, device, scheme or competition specified or described by the Minister, by notification in the Gazette
, to be a lottery for the purposes of this Act;

moneys worth means any thing recognised as equivalent to money and includes virtual credits, virtual coins, virtual tokens, virtual objects or any similar thing that is purchased within, or as part of, or in relation to, a game of chance;
public lottery means a lottery to which the public or any section of the public in Singapore has or may have access, and
every lottery is to be treated as a public lottery until the contrary is proved;
telephone betting service means a gambling service provided on the basis that dealings with customers are wholly by way of voice calls (whether or not involving a recorded or synthetic voice) made using a standard telephone service.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, a person plays a game of chance if the person participates in a game of chance whether or not there are other participants in the game of chance, and whether or not a computer generates images or data taken to represent the actions of
other participants in the game of chance.

(3) To avoid doubt, a person plays a game of chance for money or moneys worth if the person plays a game of chance and thereby
acquires a chance of winning any money or moneys worth, whether or not the person risks losing anything at the game.

That's part of the bill's context that I've quoted.

And furthermore, so long as there's business dealing with singaporeans, or conducted within singapore, or targets audiences living within singapore....this bill can and will do something to it.

Be it freezing accounts, preventing money transfers/transactions etc... (according to what I've heard from via the news media)

And it all depends upon the stance taken by the singapore government with regards to what is gambling and what isn't?

Hence my query anyway.

Was just curious. And the context quoted seemed like EU might fall into it anyway....unless my english suxs that is.

Thanks. That's what I was looking to hear. If he isn't concerned about it...then it most likely won't be affecting its operations and thus...nothing to be worried about then I guess.

Hahaha. TQVM.

I don't think many CEO's would come out and say "oh shit yeah we are worried sick about this" especially Dave... he's a business man.

I personally would find this worrying

"moneys worth" means any thing recognised as equivalent to money and includes virtual credits, virtual coins, virtual tokens, virtual objects or any similar thing that is purchased within, or part of, or in relation to, a game of chance;"

I'm pretty sure i purchase virtual coins for a chance to possibly win the mayhems and the virtual objects that are prizes.

"game of chance" includes -

(a) a game that involves both an element of chance and an element of skill:

(b) a game that is presented as involving an element of chance,"

pretty sure and big hof, ATH or an nice uber item has an element of chance right there.

Last edited:
And it all depends upon the stance taken by the singapore government with regards to what is gambling and what isn't?

Exactly, just because it made it thru in Sweden doesn't mean jack shit in other countries, marijuana can be smoked legally in Amsterdam but you try bring it thru customs and see how well you do :)

Most of Arkadia's staff work from their home countries these days,its only some clerical stuff thats still being done in Singapore.

So if the need arose to shift the company out of Singapore it wouldn't be a major logistical nightmare,probably some expensive red tape to get through but that should be the extent of it.

Well....afaik,

<snip>

That's part of the bill's context that I've quoted.

That is an interesting read for sure, it would seem under that language, EU would fall under Gambling, regardless.

Still though this would affect players more in Singapore than Arkadia team which just provides a service. (MA actually provides what appears to be the definition of a Gambling mechanic.)

Hofs and ATHS would easily constitute a lottery it seems too. Good thing this is only one country. This kind of regulation would kill the game.

As Bjorn said, CEO David Dobson isn't worried about the bill.

Here's his reply on Ark Forum regarding the gambling bill:

Sorry it's taken a few days to respond to this, had a few people pm me asking for a response.

First up, this doesn't relate to Planet Arkadia so it won't affect us at all. As some have pointed out we are supported by the Media Development Authority of Singapore, so you can safely assume they know exactly what Arkadia is.

In regards to relocating Arkadia, as has been pointed out above we are not physically tied to Singapore in a big way. All banking, administration and corporate activity is in Singapore, but most other work we do remotely. You already know that Lars and Mathias are based in Gothenburg, Chris and Dylan operate from South Africa, Liviu from Romania, John is in China and Mahesh is in India. These days due to family reasons I work mostly from Australia, travelling to Singapore as and when needed. With the nature of the business, so long as we have internet connection and room for a decent pc, any of us could work from a beach in Fiji if we wanted (and all staff are free to base themselves where ever they choose - all have chosen to be close to family rather than on a beach so far though).

Productivity of the team has actually increased working this way, no one has to worry about commuting to work which saves lots of time each day. We use Dapulse as a central project management system and Skype for discussion. To be honest even I have been surprised at how communication has actually increased now compared to all sharing an office. The staff of Arkadia are a very happy bunch and very motivated. All work their own hours so can fit their work in around family commitments. I dare say a large majority of the community would love to have similar working conditions.

Thanks. That's reassuring for sure.

For a moment I thought everything was in singapore and re-moving them would be a pain. Hahaha

I have decent laptop, can I work from Fiji? :yay:

Thanks. That's reassuring for sure.

For a moment I thought everything was in singapore and re-moving them would be a pain. Hahaha

Not a problem :) Sounds like they have a good system going over at Ark Studios.

I have decent laptop, can I work from Fiji? :yay:

Sounds like a good time ;)

Not a problem :) Sounds like they have a good system going over at Ark Studios.

Sounds like a good time ;)
It always has a happy ending! :yup:

Can we still deposit and withdraw from our account?

Back