Question: Does letting a mob hit you affect returns?

I think it works similar to how loot generated.

Loot is generated based on the HP you knock off the mob, the system has a fixed ped value per HP that it uses in the calc ( along with some multipliers and numbers we dont know off )

I think the system records HP "taken" off the hunter ( or absorbed by armor for that matter ), from the mobs POV, and has a fixed ped value to use in the loot calc for that HP aswell.

Just let a mob hit you 100 times while you kill it, and repeat 1k times, record the results, and tell us.

If armor decay had anything to do with the loot you received then you would not get bum rushed by ninja spawned mobs. Evade would be 600000000% more effective and armor would not decay at all.

If armor decay had anything to do with the loot you received then you would not get bum rushed by ninja spawned mobs. Evade would be 600000000% more effective and armor would not decay at all.

i never said armor decay had anything to do with loot :)

i never said armor decay had anything to do with loot :)

Didn't say you did, but it has been hinted at in this thread and others.

The obvious answer to this thread is, Yes, armor decay affects your returns which is why I don't wear Gremlin to hunt argos and atrox... 30 ped to fix that as opposed to 12 in adjusted pixie at the end of a run.

But as far as the loot... the only thing that matters is the HP of the mob and if you get a good throw of the old D&D dice for a bonus.

Everyone has opinions but no test results.

I think it works similar to how loot generated.

Loot is generated based on the HP you knock off the mob, the system has a fixed ped value per HP that it uses in the calc ( along with some multipliers and numbers we dont know off )

I think the system records HP "taken" off the hunter ( or absorbed by armor for that matter ), from the mobs POV, and has a fixed ped value to use in the loot calc for that HP aswell.

Just let a mob hit you 100 times while you kill it, and repeat 1k times, record the results, and tell us.

Imo, I doubt it's the HP that is used for loot calculation, imo HP is just a tool to controll
amount of interactions between two objects (avatar and mob). ;)
Some will see it as same thing, some will not I guess... ;)

I think there's something to this... but I'd say there's also some sort of safeguard in place...

just as when you keep letting a single mob hit you long enough without killing it, skill gains will begin to drop off (to prevent skill farming)... I think a similar safeguard is in place to prevent 'HoF' farming' (even if it would really just be a loss/break even)... to prevent spamming the HoF board, there's some threshold when loss will start to occur! This could be tested by shooting a spider for an hour with Mann MPH, then killing it, but I'm sure it won't guarantee swirls! :silly2:

(I think... just theory)

Perhaps it parallels mining amps... since you spend more in decay per kill/bomb, the loot return has a stronger possibility of being larger. :cool:

Well thats kinda good example,basicly if you spend more on armor and fap you should get more back logicly

Last edited:
Everyone has opinions but no test results.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this. So I went to my tracking spreadsheet and pulled some numbers.

Methodology: I checked for every TT profit hunting run, and grabbed the %cost of both armor. In theory, if more armor damage = better returns, then most of my TT profit runs should show a higher armor usage.

Total number of TT profit runs = 118
Overall average armor cost = 1.7%
# TT profit runs with above average armor = 39

Out of 118 TT profit runs, only 39 of them showed above average armor decay. In 66.1% of TT profit runs, I had below average armor cost.

But maybe excess armor can lead to bonuses? Nope. Out of 9 runs over 200% tt profit, only 4 of them (less than 1/2) had high armor decay.

So at least in this case, there is no correlation between increased armor decay and improved TT returns.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this. So I went to my tracking spreadsheet and pulled some numbers.

Methodology: I checked for every TT profit hunting run, and grabbed the %cost of both armor. In theory, if more armor damage = better returns, then most of my TT profit runs should show a higher armor usage.

Out of 118 TT profit runs, only 39 of them showed above average armor decay. In 66.1% of TT profit runs, I had below average armor cost.

But maybe excess armor can lead to bonuses? Nope. Out of 9 runs over 200% tt profit, only 4 of them (less than 1/2) had high armor decay.

So at least in this case, there is no correlation between increased armor decay and improved TT returns.

Can you check without globals?

Can you check without globals?

I said TT profit, not globals. Not all those runs had globals. And global do not equal tt profit.

But I'm guessing you're asking if excess armor use leads to global, regardless of TT profit?

I said TT profit, not globals. Not all those runs had globals. And global do not equal tt profit.

But I'm guessing you're asking if excess armor use leads to global, regardless of TT profit?

No i just want to see what the numbers would be without globals as globals can change the outcome of a run by a lot, if you remove the globals you would get an "average" on normal loots.. sort of.

what size mobs?

Well thats kinda good example,basicly if you spend more on armor and fap you should get more back logicly
Buying Ek2500 Deluxe!!!
Then eco would mean nothing.
Yep that being the point.

They did say that, maybe not by the same exact words that "higher dmg/pec allows you to enjoy the game more"
But nothing said about decay, so somehow it might be true what we're reading.
On my own experience, when i took more decay was when i was using mostly pistols, I do find the loot lower overall TT wise when using ranged weapons like m83, that allows me to kill most mobs taking minimal decay or none, depending on the mob.
Also it might have to do with dps, since to kill at range without getting hit, means im using higher dps, less shots / kill, less regen, so it means maybe, that im not getting that extra regen compensation.
So i'd say a percentage of that decay, as harmony has said, is returned, but not stupid wastefull amounts.

if you remove the globals you would get an "average" on normal loots.. sort of.
Not true for punies, or big dasps. Only partially true for certain sized mobs somewhere in the middle of that range.

what size mobs?

Everything from punies to L1423 sized shared loot behemoths.

Couple of years ago when mjau soc was active and top of hunting leaderboards, some tested switching to E-amp 15 from A106. Needless to say, they switched back.

Back