Developer Notes #10 - Galactic Transport

Still not going to buy from another planet....:rolleyes:

Still waiting for that, come on!
Bring it on!

Would be nice if they did something with this

its been just 4 years. give em some time man. i mean you can program a full AAA title in that time frame but we are talking bout MA here. in maybe another 5 years we will have a basic version of this

[*]Normal Delivery - Items won from auction will be transported to the buyer’s storage at the buyer’s current location after a specified period of time (TBD, approximately 1-4 hours). This option will incur a small transport fee, based on the weight of the items to be transported.

how did we end up with 12 hours?

how did we end up with 12 hours?

Normal delivery for ship contracts not the auction ;) and that was the intended change for the missions, which would incurr in changing the auction timer already in place... Or at least that is my interpretation of it

Another month has passed without anything happening.

The transport fees collected for the Normal and Instant Delivery options will be held in a special transport fee pool. In a subsequent Version Update, transport missions will be made available that can be claimed by spaceship pilots via a queue system that incorporates the available transport fee pool, pilot skills, time limitations, and ship cargo capacities.

Those missions will take the form of cargo boxes which must be delivered to a destination in return for a PED reward funded by the transport fee pool.
Originally Posted Here

Nearly 4 years of Mindark 'saving' transport fees in a pool...

Nearly 4 years of Mindark 'saving' transport fees in a pool...

well "Improved communication" and the "Swedish tradition of excellence in engineering and global trade" has obviously its pricetag and doesn't come for free

:dunce:

its been just 4 years. give em some time man. i mean you can program a full AAA title in that time frame but we are talking bout MA here. in maybe another 5 years we will have a basic version of this

wonder why some of these aaa titles turn out to be total shit even with 4 years of development time then:scratch2:

wonder why some of these aaa titles turn out to be total shit even with 4 years of development time then:scratch2:

Copying the eventterminal system and making some lootable transport tokens for space with value taken from a pool would be something i could program with access to the source code regardless of used program language confidently in a week.
Anything on top of that could be done in continuous development.
We are talking basics here that seem to take decades...

Maybe we're not considering something here. Maybe the direction MA took over the past 5 years has changed so substantially that this is no longer their highest priority.

To me, it seems as if the whole universe thing hurt many of their planet partners (Arkadia being the exception) such to the point that the revenue streams are so miniscule that it's not a high priority to do anything more with space. It looks like they've doubled down on getting things right for the playerbase over the past 1.5 years. Examples of this are:

• Attempts to sort out the major events to be more equitable (mayhem etc)
  • Attempts to improve the playerbase economy (introduction of Armatrix weapons and Loot 2.0)
  • Improvements to system stability (remember the lag?)

Now I know it's not all perfect but I also believe this is because it's a much smaller development team working there. I reckon that they're under the kosh at the best of times. They've probably had to reduce the size of the team considering the exodus of the playerbase. There's a limit to WIP and priorities don't include space.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see space improved into something meaningful (especially now that I have a mothership myself) but I understand why this can't be the case right now.

Copying the eventterminal system and making some lootable transport tokens for space with value taken from a pool would be something i could program with access to the source code regardless of used program language confidently in a week.

That !!!!

Well, you need to be a coder to do that, maybe MA has none :)

Maybe we're not considering something here. Maybe the direction MA took over the past 5 years has changed so substantially that this is no longer their highest priority.

To me, it seems as if the whole universe thing hurt many of their planet partners (Arkadia being the exception) such to the point that the revenue streams are so miniscule that it's not a high priority to do anything more with space. It looks like they've doubled down on getting things right for the playerbase over the past 1.5 years. Examples of this are:

• Attempts to sort out the major events to be more equitable (mayhem etc)
  • Attempts to improve the playerbase economy (introduction of Armatrix weapons and Loot 2.0)
  • Improvements to system stability (remember the lag?)

Now I know it's not all perfect but I also believe this is because it's a much smaller development team working there. I reckon that they're under the kosh at the best of times. They've probably had to reduce the size of the team considering the exodus of the playerbase. There's a limit to WIP and priorities don't include space.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see space improved into something meaningful (especially now that I have a mothership myself) but I understand why this can't be the case right now.

Any company who only invests to 'keep things running' will go down over time, every company needs to invest to enhance their product(s).
There is one company out there that started virtual space development after mindark and raised over 100million dollars from players to develop virtual space without even having a full game environment - another company just made over a billion dollars by selling 'optics'/'non game essentials' to their game community - if mindark would allow players to fund space ontop of the million dollar that we have already put in entropia space as a community im sure they could come up with some easy to sell features (like 'skins' for spaceships or ship 'enhancements') that would make them easily and quickly alot more money plus attract a much wider audience of gamers.
That of course would require 'investing in the future of their 'main' product instead of wasting money on compet, etc.
It also would require employing some 'space only' devs that dont get distracted by other tasks. (If you cant afford a dev in europe/usa get one from asia or contract space to someone else eg a small dev team run over ark team since they are already located in a cheaper dev environment.)

Or just create an opensource interface for missions and allow players to write their own missions and launch them over the eventterminal - other players can choose if they go for custom missions or not.
Someone at mindark needs to get a clue on how to speed things up and involve the community.

What if it's Erlang? ;)

What if it's Erlang? ;)

Takes 5min to find a solution in a chosen programming language for a specific issue via google - 15mins to ask a set of questions on various forums for certain program languages - a few hours/days to learn the basics in any programming language.
Mindark only needs someone who thinks logical and has reading/learning comprehsension as well as the ability to use the internet to find solutions - not all is free but alot of solutions can be bought for little money even for commercial use.
Its antiquated to think you have to develop the solution to all issues yourself but its even worse to think you have to outsource every minor tweak to some outside team - i think mindark is falling for both errors instead of having some inhouse experts to readily clean and streamline their coding.

Yes they obviously have no idea what a single full time coder could do for this game.

Add a cryengine pro to help with graphics and other optimizations.

With the right one or two people and a single year of just cleanup and optimization this game could have so much FUNDAMENTAL improvement it would be amazing. Probably more improvement to actual gameplay and stability than in the last three to five years.

There's still issues hanging around since the conversion.

Also then they would have someone who knows how shit works, and a much cleaner codebase that might allow them to add standalone features or integrate new systems without a giant mystery mess every time.

Right now the it seems like the whole thing sort of works like "the egg".

What I mean is, nobody's really sure what's going on with the whole thing but every time they try and do something with it someone gets screwed.

It's ridiculous.

What if it's Erlang? ;)

John is right. I'll do it in any language if necessary. A while back, without professional experience in C++ it took me two weeks to learn my way around in the Second Life client's source and then an afternoon to add a much requested feature to its LLScript parser. And then another eight months to realize that the little attention this caught wouldn't lead anywhere.

The thing is that, as a company or team steering a project such as this here, you need to know what you want before going about implementing it. It seems to me that in our concrete example of Space this is what's lacking, in defiance of their boastful announcements. Their PR seems always ahead of their actual plans and then they get a problem when even the wind's direction is changing. Users fed with expectations that don't get fulfilled start yelling. Who can't understand this after so many years is beyond help (or does it on purpose).

From what I've seen & read, there won't be any major implementations by MA until they think they are done funding Compet. That and the golden parachutes for the 'crypto-currency experts' running the show now.

I would settle for just being able to spin my quad around to shoot back at pirates while maintaining the original motion. Having to maneuver thru space as if it were atmosphere is f-ing ridiculous. I played games back in the 80's that had proper space physics.

I wonder if MA has been using the transport fees for some other purpose?

If not, maybe they can us how much is in the fund.

I wonder if MA has been using the transport fees for some other purpose?

If not, maybe they can us how much is in the fund.

I probably spent atleast 50ped per month on transport fees (even though i have motherships) just cause i cant be bothered to fly back and forth for something small that i want 'now' from another planet.
Lets assume that there is atleast 100 people like me with similar spending habits that makes 60k ped per year - so around 240k ped after 4 years and thats likely assuming on the low end side of spending.
But yeah i wouldnt wonder if the published numbers one day will be way lower...

Time to consider removing space and just open the TPs anyways to see if the game can come to live again. No worries about the transport fees then :smoke:

I do not mind paying the transport fee's neither, only thing I do is make the stack (resources) big enough and pay the 2 ped transport (+auction fee), this way I can easy fly with my quad from planet to planet and go mining, stock up, then transport it again.

No need to shout for hours to have enough people for warp, overpay vips + pay 7 ped transport to caly

When I done mining the universe and arrive back to caly, all I need to do is press those "transportbuttons" and pay 2 ped to get them in 12 hours

Or why not just makes us TP from 1 planet to another (like it was in the good old days or like on foma now) and pay for that.

Last edited:
Or why not just makes us TP from 1 planet to another (like it was in the good old days or like on foma now) and pay for that.

I agree with this.

The problem with EU is that there is too much 'universe'.

Back in the day when the game was awesome, there may have only been one 'planet', but that means everyone was on it - so everywhere was packed with people and there were active socs and trading going on everywhere. You didn't even need n00b training centres like they have now as the community took care of the new players as they came in. Now there is a hell of a lot of space and people are all over the place, so everywhere is dead.

There is nothing more damaging to an MMO than logging in and seeing nobody around. The only problem is I don't think MA could reverse the situation even if they wanted to. :(

Back in the day when the game was awesome, there may have only been one 'planet', but that means everyone was on it - so everywhere was packed with people and there were active socs and trading going on everywhere.

Hmm, i don't know, i mean rt has way less population than caly, yet i have way more trouble getting crafting materials on caly than i have on rt...

on rt i post my WTB and usually after 5-15 minutes i get pm(s).
on caly i post my WTB, then it's waiting for hours or even days to get a pm with someone selling the stuff i want, that's pretty much the reason i gave up on crafting on caly for the most part...

and frankly, i did expect it to be the other way around...

but back to topic, they should implement the galactic transport system like they've announced

Last edited:
Time to consider removing space and just open the TPs anyways to see if the game can come to live again. No worries about the transport fees then :smoke:

I would not be surprised to see MA open the universe TP's once they provide spaceship with their own independent purpose. Such as deep space mining on small floating asteroids etc for new resources for crafting. Space needs to be a game in itself first.

Then I guess MA will sell intergalactic TP deeds with a new intergalactic TP on each planet independent of the existing TP system.

Rick

I can.... and Can't believe that this OP is almost 4 YEARS old!
Dear God MA.

4 years? You can make a whole new game in that time..

several games were made in that time i'm afraid...

:girl:

I have to agree. They have been collecting Transport fees for 4 years. The big VU this year have better bring home a great deal of amazing things! We cant censor this discussion as it is relevant!

Back