a comment to extraordinary achievement iRL science!

Billy Jean Ruby

Stalker
Society
Factory of Fun
Billy Jean Ruby
This is something unprecedented and unique.
Those last 24 hours was very exciting and fully of emotions, because European Space Agency done it.
Making us witnesses to a new page in mankind history.
For the very first time, we are able to see not only from very close range (with Rosetta) but from the surface (with Philae lander!) a comet !!!!
This is something extraordinary and unbelievable and something that some of us we only dreamed of, some decades back.
We witnessing in great moments for science and space exploration in that huge step closer to understanding of the creation of the universe.

Congratulation to all of the contributors of this amazing achievement.

I can't stop thinking about CND now

in all seriousness, this is truly a great achievement and I can't wait for more comet pics to be uploaded

yes indeed , a great achievement! we all the people and each person for its self, should think to a future achievement of this kind. And yes will be many in the future. Space , life, time, future, god,diff gods and all the gods, will have different meanings in the next hundred years. Alpha and omega will be ours at one time. Such a great time to live and to discover.:drool:

It's impressing that the computer-systems and everything like that works and don't crash on the way there or at the landing. Even if was not a perfect landing, and the lander have some issues, it's impressive.

Some smart people behind it for sure. There is a certain awesome in the nerdy excitement they try to hold back in the briefings as well, and its deserved.

Watching the images as they processed was cool, seems comets are not as powdery as they had anticipated.

Part of why and the most impressive to me was that the lander BOUNCED.....for 2 HOURS! for over a full KM high! And still ended up on the surface not terribly far from the original hit. That is crazy to me, and put the comet into a much different perspective.

still they have problems with the solar energy becouse the position is in too much shadow, so is receiving about 1.5 hours of illumination during every 12-hour rotation of the comet, and this is a big problem.

It's impressing that the computer-systems and everything like that works and don't crash on the way there or at the landing. Even if was not a perfect landing, and the lander have some issues, it's impressive.
Not built by Microsoft! :laugh:

Yes with the amount parts and the harshness of space, there are few things that could effect the mission at anytime. Now a days though, people have had many chances to learn from past mistakes, so future missions are more successful. :)

some data to make an ideea about this great job

Mission facts:

Philae lander

Travelled 6.4 billion km (four billion miles) to reach the comet
Journey took 10 years
Planning for the journey began 25 years ago

Comet 67P

More than four billion years old
Mass of 10 billion tonnes
Hurtling through space at 18km/s (40,000mph)
Shaped like a rubber duck

yes an incredible achievement by all concerned. I was watching the press briefing today and it was absolutely amazing what has been accomplished so far on this mission - and hopefully, much more to come as the results of the various science experiments comes through.

Those images were taken in a sandbox behind a Hollywood film lot :laugh:

Jkjk, very awesome!

Those images were taken in a sandbox behind a Hollywood film lot :laugh:

Jkjk, very awesome!

Is that the same place that the Apollo landing was filmed? :laugh:

I can't wait to see what new discoveries have been made. :)

Back