Messaging and FL

Sissi

Prowler
Society
mjau
Elizabeth Sissi Habsburg
Prove me wrong Mindark <removed> and fix basic issues like messaging and friends list. and no, I will not list all the problems, they have been out there for quite some time.

<removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Why so mad?

Adapt or die :tongue2:

(I agree, it gets annoying as the social part of the game is very important. Hopefully it gets fixed soon enough.)

Why so mad?

Adapt or die :tongue2:

(I agree, it gets annoying as the social part of the game is very important. Hopefully it gets fixed soon enough.)

Cause I spent over 20 minutes trying to contact some who I had previously sent a friend request (naturally lost in the ether), then sending mail and not being able to reply to it and then managing to whisper (friggin joke that definition) in the end. What is there to adapt to that??? Hopefully fixed soon you say, like so many other things?

To Serica, Kim himself said he was full of shit, compared to that I was mild, but keep up the good work, will not comment on it further (for now)....

Cause I spent over 20 minutes trying to contact some who I had previously sent a friend request (naturally lost in the ether), then sending mail and not being able to reply to it and then managing to whisper (friggin joke that definition) in the end. What is there to adapt to that??? Hopefully fixed soon you say, like so many other things?

To Serica, Kim himself said he was full of shit, compared to that I was mild, but keep up the good work, will not comment on it further (for now)....

The first part was a joke, you got all right to be frustrated. Soon enough means as soon as possible, and I hope it does, because it is getting really annoying.

I've found a workaround though:

1. Search for the person in player registry
2. Copy link
3. Paste into chat
4. Right click the name and choose private chat

The first part was a joke, you got all right to be frustrated. Soon enough means as soon as possible, and I hope it does, because it is getting really annoying.

I've found a workaround though:

1. Search for the person in player registry
2. Copy link
3. Paste into chat
4. Right click the name and choose private chat

You can save player name links in a note with the first word being "Friends" in the message center. Then you can just try and whisper to see if they are online using steps 2, 3 and 4 above.:)

This is pretty sad, I agree with OP.

Ive lost so many customers, and they lost me its not even funny anymore. These issues existed since UI change long ago....they were never even looked at since, despite all kinds of reports. Still to this day my case opened a week after is not ressolved....the other party made a report same day...not resolved.

We could not find a "workaround" at all. We could only communicate via this forum and PM. (they, and a high cycling player at that, since quit over it since I was not the only one they lost completely)

I think whats more sad is people are OK with horrible workarounds like the one mentioned above. Not that your solution is horrible, just that we have to come up with solutions on our own.

Never had a problem aside from not being able to see an added friend until I logged back on. Been here 5 years. With almost 30 pages of friends now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. Time to strap on your big person pants and figure it out.

Never had a problem aside from not being able to see an added friend until I logged back on. Been here 5 years. With almost 30 pages of friends now, I think I've got a pretty good handle on it. Time to strap on your big person pants and figure it out.

I'm surprised you haven't encountered this issue before. Go ahead, try to send a friend request to someone who's offline. What happens?

Last edited:
I'm surprised you haven't encountered this issue before. Go ahead, try to send a friend request to someone who's offline. What happens?

They add you when they login.

I've been on the receiving end of quite a few of these, as my hours are irregular. It works, as far as I can tell. The little sidebar turns orange, you get a beep, you click on it. Done.

Sounds like this bug is not something that affects everybody. If you have it I suggest working with support and building a dialogue with them, sending them test cases, etc.

Otherwise they're forced to look through logs and do a random hunt and peck approach. That never works.

Want a solution? Help the people who are working on it out with info.

I've been on the receiving end of quite a few of these, as my hours are irregular. It works, as far as I can tell. The little sidebar turns orange, you get a beep, you click on it. Done.

Sounds like this bug is not something that affects everybody. If you have it I suggest working with support and building a dialogue with them, sending them test cases, etc.

Otherwise they're forced to look through logs and do a random hunt and peck approach. That never works.

care to do a test? Please log off (player registry shows you are off atm) after I have posted this and i will try to add you.

this however doesn´t help the requests that are hanging in limbo since ages.

ps. will wait till you reply

care to do a test? Please log off (player registry shows you are off atm) after I have posted this and i will try to add you.

this however doesn´t help the requests that are hanging in limbo since ages.

ps. will wait till you reply

I'm getting most limbo requests by accidentally closing the request. If I do that, then I can't send a new one and the other person cannot send one to me.

It happened a few times when I've let my messages stack and I want to close them all.

I'm getting most limbo requests by accidentally closing the request. If I do that, then I can't send a new one and the other person cannot send one to me.

It happened a few times when I've let my messages stack and I want to close them all.

Yeah that happens too, i've lost a few that way.

Maybe you're the only one, because I've not heard of anyone who this is working for. I've sent you a friend request, see if you get it. When you don't, the request will be sent into limbo and any future requests will say "friend request already sent" but it's nowhere to be accepted. This isn't one of those issues that MA has to try hard to repeat... just like shop messages not being delivered, probably the same root problem too.

The only work around is if the person is a member of your soc, you can add friends via that, but that's not possible for most people.

Agreed, same problem
imho Magyar_Republic is just in his usual element, smartass-ing around without actually having a clue nor looking into the issue.
because I am not like that, here is an actual test performed, took me and my 2 friends 10 minutes
P.S. support ticket created
1. avatar A and B are each others friends
2. remove A from B's FL
3. avatar B logs off, wait for 5 minutes to be sure offline
4. avatar A sends a friend request to avatar B, message
[System]: A friend request has been sent
5. avatar B logs in, nothing in notifications
6. avatar B tries to add avatar A through player register, message
[System]: You have already received a friend request from this player.
7. repeat the test with 2 avatars never befriended, same result
P.P.S.
Apparently I have sent a similar bug report already in June, guess "soon" is just as relative as everything else (including the TEN event closure). Response:
2014-06-22 15:51 Entropia Universe Support:
Hi Smilgs,
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences that this is causing you. Unfortunately, we don't have any information about this issue at the current time to be able to provide you with a more satisfying reply, but please rest assured that we have forwarded your case to the responsible department for further investigation. We hope to have more information for you soon.
Maybe you're the only one, because I've not heard of anyone who this is working for. I've sent you a friend request, see if you get it. When you don't, the request will be sent into limbo and any future requests will say "friend request already sent" but it's nowhere to be accepted.

The only work around is if the person is a member of your soc, you can add friends via that, but that's not possible for most people.

Sissi,

You did not successfully add me.

Neil Greenleaf Stockton however did.

Seems to be a problem specific to avatars, from what I can ascertain. Please see my original suggestions.

Regards,

-MR

Sissi,

Seems to be a problem specific to avatars, from what I can ascertain. Please see my original suggestions.

Regards,

-MR

as I was waiting for you to reply (added ps 1-2 minutes later), will login now, please respond if you are logged out (that is if it is not too much of a hassle)

as I was waiting for you to reply (added ps 1-2 minutes later), will login now, please respond if you are logged out (that is if it is not too much of a hassle)

I'm logged out. I was on my morning walk.

Worked.

It's avatar specific, I believe. Probably something to do with the friend request being sent while the servers managing the requests are lagging, causing sync to be off and the message to fall short of delivery. I tend to not play during peak hours, so would never experience this problem. When I see the chat servers or loot servers lagging I stop my activity and log off.

I sent your friend request after you removed me, as you asked.

Worked.

It's avatar specific, I believe. Probably something to do with the friend request being sent while the servers managing the requests are lagging, causing sync to be off and the message to fall short of delivery.

friggin great... still the problem with requests hanging in limbo needs to be reset/terminated. care to send a request my way.

friggin great... still the problem with requests hanging in limbo needs to be reset/terminated. care to send a request my way.

It's done. A failure here I would think would be generated by the database not updating, but we will see. Either way it's avatar resident, not a universal problem. The issue would be depending on situations the particular avatars are generating, either through lack of proper server synchronization or database lag time.

In short, we cause these issues, so we would need to provide MA support with lots of specifics, including times requests were sent, on multiple accounts for them to resolve it.

Otherwise we are basically just saying "There's a problem!" and then asking them to make shots in the dark regarding them.

It's done. A failure here I would think would be generated by the database not updating, but we will see.

I will not login today anymore, to see if time is of importance. see you tomorrow.

When I try to add someone to FL, I get "Friend request already sent", and there is no purge the status. Unfortunately, the support in this matter hasn't been all knowing about the problem, so for some people it's pretty stuck.

When it's bad is if you're coordinating an event, and you need to see at a Point in time if certain key people are online or not, and you need to be able to Contact them swiftly (without having to to through player register and copy & paste link from there). If you need to Contact one and you have plenty of time, sure, but it's stressful if you're at a stage when you have 5 minutes to coordinate maybe 20 people.

The problem is fairly easy: You try to add someone to FL and they're not reachable (ie offline). Then the friend request goes into limbo - when they log on, they don't see the friend request but it still exists (in limbo). Hence, you can't send a new friend request (because there is one already - in limbo) - even when they are online.

This was a problem at least up to two weeks ago.

Also messages like items expiring from banks didn't arrive when you've been offline (so if you don't visit the bank regularily to check, you might find that some of your bank loan deeds mysteriously has vanished, and the only clue is looking in auction (as the bank manager doesn't know what items belongs to whom as items expire). I've lost items this way. Some items I can buy back, but the bank manager sold a batch of (White) paint Before I noticed the bank loans deeds were gone, and that I will "never" get back.

Also, it seems you only get supply response notifications if you are online.

Maybe it's been silently fixed.

Last edited:
Sissi,

Regards,

-MR

Nope, I've got people I can't friend request either, it doesn't have anything to do with avatars, I think. I forgot to test if you were really offline (sending a whisper) before sending the request, so you could have been online, just set to afk, or had your online status set to hidden so you'd show up as red in the player register.

Most likely there are some cases where the requests get through, for example, if you sign in within X minutes of when the other person sent the request. Not sure, but I don't think it's up to us to tease out all the intricacies of how this bug manifests itself or find workarounds. MA just needs to prioritize the fix. As we saw the last couple of years, FL bugs take about 12 months to reach the top of the priority list, which I do have to say, with all due respect, is pathetic.

Last edited:
When I try to add someone to FL, I get "Friend request already sent", and there is no purge the status. Unfortunately, the support in this matter hasn't been all knowing about the problem, so for some people it's pretty stuck.

The problem is, and you can take this from someone who has managed IT tech support teams in the past, the support requests are probably too vague, and thus are getting pushed down the queue by workers who are paid based on the amount of tickets they actually resolve. They want to get a good review from their boss, and so do what they are told. They resolve x amount of tickets per hour, or resolve x amount of requests according to whatever productivity threshold has been established.

If you want to help them, information like time request was sent, who request was sent to, etc should be contained within a series of screenshots. Then the person logging on would need to say "I logged in at X time" and there was no request for confirmation. Then both parties should screenshot subsequent failure to re-add, along with a time date stamp.

Sounds like a pain, but that's the way to get it fixed. Because that's the info they need in order to quickly find the relevant logs on the server and go "Aha! The problem is related to this..."

Neil, I was offline. My morning walk takes about an hour and a half. I dont carry my computer with me then, and hadnt logged into EU since Saturday.

Neil, I was offline. My morning walk takes about an hour and a half. I dont carry my computer with me then, and hadnt logged into EU since Saturday.

From my chat log, it was sent at

2014-11-17 17:32:31 [System] [] A friend request has been sent.

And I logged out 2 minutes after that.

I will not login today anymore, to see if time is of importance. see you tomorrow.

Friend request sent to you, checked to make sure you were offline by sending a whisper.
2014-11-17 19:40:34 [System] [] A friend request has been sent.

Magyar_Republic:
A friend request can only be sent once. Independent of who is sending it.
By some bug this request is not visible.
As the requset can only be sent once it is not possible to solve the situation without support.

Support is not able to delete the request or make it visible again.

During that magurg event on arkadia i got a requset while hunting.
I clicked on the flashing icon and crashed. Since then i do not have this person on my friendlist...

From my chat log, it was sent at

2014-11-17 17:32:31 [System] [] A friend request has been sent.

And I logged out 2 minutes after that.

I was not online. My chat log reads as follows looking for that time:

2014-11-16 05:32:01 [Globals] [] Jessie Jess von Hagen killed a creature (Aurli Weak) with a value of 51 PED at Crystal Palace Space Station!
2014-11-16 05:33:10 [Globals] [] Helios Hunter Merodach killed a creature (Atrox Young) with a value of 61 PED!
2014-11-16 05:34:04 [Globals] [] sir lance lancelot killed a creature (Muluk-Hir Bandit) with a value of 62 PED!
2014-11-17 18:40:27 [Rookie] [Mr TERN-- Sir] oh wait , stoney was supposed to say that.
2014-11-17 18:40:27 [Globals] [] mathias mattydre deruy killed a creature (Kerberos Young) with a value of 20 PED!
2014-11-17 18:40:50 [Rookie] [Gemma Mistique Atkinson] i will interact with those but where are they located .. i want a huge list of all npcs that give quests

Magyar_Republic:
A friend request can only be sent once. Independent of who is sending it.
By some bug this request is not visible.
As the requset can only be sent once it is not possible to solve the situation without support.

Support is not able to delete the request or make it visible again.

During that magurg event on arkadia i got a requset while hunting.
I clicked on the flashing icon and crashed. Since then i do not have this person on my friendlist...

Thanks for the clarification. I thought we were trading recipes on this thread. My bad.

Actually, this raises a valid point. If this is the quality of help requests support is getting (From my experience this is probably one of the higher quality requests. Usually people just send rants.) then of course support will have problems.

Who here thinks this response is specific and/or helpful toward solving a problem? I dont. I dont see any details here that would assist anyone in actually finding the problem. Aside from being aware of an issue, it's useless.

In my opinion the fix is very simple.
quick and dirty "fix":
Give support the possibility to delete a request or make it visible again.

real fix:
Every new request makes the old one visible again.

With this it does not matter if there is another bug that is messing with the "visible" flag of a message in the message center.

Back