Question: Anyone here regularly use decoys? If so, please explain on what and why

Hypnotyk

Elite
Society
discord.gg/bdDeqtn
Randy Hypnotyk Bafia
Hey there.

After seeing a buying thread for dispense decoy skills, I began to ponder if anyone actively dispenses decoys. I've been around Entropia for almost 10 years and I can't say I ever recalled seeing someone use decoys in the field. However, just because I haven't personally seen it doesn't mean it is not being used. That is why I am asking this question because I am curious to hear why someone would use these (especially in the vehicle world that we 'live' in today) and what the benefit they get from it besides gaining skills.

I'm anxious to hear your responses.

Thanks!

Maybe taming.

To keep a mob form hitting you :S.

I miss the sheep noise they make.

I know Blackhawk used them. Bit unsure if they work now or if they have been fixed (was a period when they did not work, as so many other things in EU)

I haven't for a long time, will start again most likely. Why i won't say :)

Never used even once. I guess they might have been useful when it was possible to outrun most mobs (although even then I can't come up with any scenario but a tp run - when a tp chip seemed a more reasonable investment, and if you couldn't afford one, you hardly could waste peds on decoys either), but those times are long gone. Not to mention vehicles.

They were useful once - in a different time and a different game ;)

I use to use them all the time , i mean ALL the time , currently im sitting at just over 1700 in decoy skills.I found the higher you get the longer the mob sniff em, and if they sniff em long enough they forget they were chasing you,so you can start shooting them again.Also the higher your skill the faster they work on the mob chasing you.I use to hunt hogglo,Spider and Atrox with ML-35 it worked great.But as soon as the mobs regen & speed was changed that type of hunting got screwed! If 2 guys were using them during a hunt u can easily ping pong mob.There was one weekend the decoys would hold the attention of mob while you killed them but they quickly fixed that bug:(

I use to trap Spider

ftfy

On topic, I used them a bit in the past... problem is, with the speed of drop, switch to gun, and time of decoying they were limited. Now I believe mob re-aggros when you hit it again?

ftfy

On topic, I used them a bit in the past... problem is, with the speed of drop, switch to gun, and time of decoying they were limited. Now I believe mob re-aggros when you hit it again?
Yep it reaggros, found a use for them though i think. Need to test though :p

There was one weekend the decoys would hold the attention of mob while you killed them but they quickly fixed that bug:(

Isn't that the designed use for decoys?

They can help unstuck mobs sometimes.

I always thought the use of the decoy was to through the mob off while you try and run away from it?

After seeing a buying thread for dispense decoy skills, I began to ponder if anyone actively dispenses decoys. I've been around Entropia for almost 10 years and I can't say I ever recalled seeing someone use decoys in the field. However, just because I haven't personally seen it doesn't mean it is not being used. That is why I am asking this question because I am curious to hear why someone would use these (especially in the vehicle world that we 'live' in today) and what the benefit they get from it besides gaining skills...

One of the most useful posts I've seen about decoy use was by Hurrikane:
They do work just like most things (you 'miss' too), but skilling is slow.

They work well if you have armour or can take a few hits from what's chasing you; keeping dropping decoys as you run and eventually the mobs will drop away and you can get away safely.

They don't work too good against spiders, not solo anyhow; this is because the decoy runs out before you have time to escape their attack range.

Where they are EXCELLENT is when taking down huge mobs with a mid-to-low-level hunting team of 7 or 8 people or more.
2 guys dropping decoys while the rest plug away with the biggest guns they have is one of the most efficient ways to hunt there is. Stand far enough away and have smart decoy droppers who can ping-pong and corral the mob like sheepdogs; it's one of the most underrated, untapped skills in EU.

(I know of one Mod Merc that came from a spider that hadn't killed or even damaged any of the team involved... just chewed on decoys while they shot it;))

Hurrikane

I used to drop them at PA and watch all of the noobs stare at them. Does that count?

I use decoys on occasion, mostly for defense skills. But I do find them handy on a couple of mob types as well.

Some mobs which may not hit too often but hit hard or crit...a decay can afford time to catch up healing. Limited circumstance.

Another would be if I get an add, some mobs I can run out of aggro range before they drop off the decoy, and some just the decoy time is enough to not run, and finish a wounded mob.

And there are also some mobs in which regen. is not an issue.

I think it also resets the defensive skill falloff. So if you no longer gain evade on the mob, decoy, and start getting those evades again....that may have changed.

Only time I have ever seen a decoy used was pre VU 10.0... IIRC, it was at Omegaton West Habitat, where someone dragged an araneatrox stalker into the auction house, and we couldn't get out. Rescue came in the form of my mentor who used multiple decoys so we could escape the auction house.

I've never used a decoy, myself.

One of the most useful posts I've seen about decoy use was by Hurrikane:

This was the way I hunted Spid stalkers with AoW; but again, now it doesn't work as they aggro a gunshot the same as they aggro the decoy.

The best EVER use for decoys was when pets were 1st introduced in PE........you could throw a decoy into a crowd in town and your pet (mine was a Daikiba Stalker) would attack and kill everyone in the area. This was one of the most fun bugs MA accidentally introduced many years ago. Shame they fixed it very soon afterwards :)

Are they of any use for mining i.e. if you prefer not to have to kill mobs while mining?

Are they of any use for mining i.e. if you prefer not to have to kill mobs while mining?

probably easier to hop in a flying vehicle and then use summon.

It has been ages since I last used decoy. They were useful back then, now they are just a relic of the past.
Still useful in team hunting perhaps but that involves 2 AIMK2.

I wonder if there would be any interest to do a decoy hunting team for old time's sake? Maybe take 5 people with decoys and weapons and see how hunting can work in a team setting today with decoys.. I'd probably stream it for shits and giggles :p

When i said one weekend mob stopped for decoys i mean they "stopped and never moved again" untill you finished them! Atrox Stalker for example : once your decoy stoped him you just stand there and shoot him, it was alot of fun.Mob you struggled with were sooo easy.But all good things must come to an end esp in EU:)

decoys are unbalanced! :wise:

cost to use them FAR exceeds their usefulness (or I should say 'uselessness')!

the designed use is for MA to take peds from suckers who think decoys work! :lolup:

How long does the taunt last?

Maybe they are worth using if you are swarmed by a load of high aggro mobs, to save some armor decay?

(I never used decoys, beyond trying a few to see how they worked ~10 years ago.)

I used them in 2009 when I was brand new and an Exarosaur young meant instant death!

I guess you could use them to distract a mob while you charge your TP chip :wise::laugh:

Back