Build your own company

GeorgeSkywalker

Mutated
Society
Freelancer
George Ace Skywalker
Below is the kind of new Calypso adverts on the internet. It states, "Build your own company". So if that is being advertised now do you think we could have them in the next update? and how will they work?

company.jpg

Roctropia Red Light District

I think Neverdie will pimp all that Android Vixen in a new Land Area called "Rocktropia Red Light District"(taxes 69%) and make Rocktropia the most successfull Planet in Entropia Universe.
Neverdie -> CEO
Vixens -> Employees

android_vixen.jpg

This is a Bump :laugh:

I think in the end what is meant is selling your crafted goods, hunting loots, mining finds and/or offer services giving it a name...

Companies take various forms such as:

Voluntary associations which may nonprofit organization
A group of soldiers
Business entities with an aim of gaining a profit
Financial entities and banks

but it sound like fun

Hundreds of people already run companies in EU, that is the problem.

So many companies doing the same thing because there is nothing else to do.

But good luck to them.

I think Neverdie will pimp all that Android Vixen in a new Land Area called "Rocktropia Red Light District"(taxes 69%) and make Rocktropia the most successfull Planet in Entropia Universe.
Neverdie -> CEO
Vixens -> Employees

android_vixen.jpg

This is a Bump :laugh:

Funny you should say that, I was thinking just last night................ ;)

I think in the end what is meant is selling your crafted goods, hunting loots, mining finds and/or offer services giving it a name...

I use to run a small hunting business, had employees that hunted returned mats got paid for their time and effort, I turned the mats into items for sale or sold them for markup. Kept struggling players active spending others PED and helped them earn a bit for themselves.

I know of one mining company doing something similar.

EntropiaTransport.com was a decently organized in game company I worked for.

There are many ways to make a company in the game without some joked up MA programming messing with what you can and can't do.

BTW: I have joked with others about locating the Red Light District on RT :D I am thinking it is Noobs Noobs Noobs behind that bouncer guarding that one door :D I keep getting the crap beat out of me trying to enter it, I must not have enough PED to enter or something.

Nah, it's just typo. It's for upcoming compets, so it should be like "build your own compuny".

PS: Im serious btw, check artwork. Pure compet style.

With opportunities such as trade, land ownership, as well as others that yield a large ROI, there is nothing stopping someone from investing a large sum and then incorporating IRL. It's easy for some people to forget how much of a positive impact an entrepreneur can have on the game.

L4 Office Zombie Intern
L7 Office Zombie Assistant
L11 Office Zombie Clerk
L15 Office Zombie Manager
L20 Office Zombie Director
L26 Office Zombie CEO

Something like that. :laugh:

L4 Office Zombie Intern
L7 Office Zombie Assistant
L11 Office Zombie Clerk
L15 Office Zombie Manager
L20 Office Zombie Director
L26 Office Zombie CEO

Something like that. :laugh:

Considering how hard it is to get management replaced they should be uber mobs and no looters...

L504 Office Zombie Intern
L1007 Office Zombie Assistant
L2011 Office Zombie Clerk
L5015 Office Zombie Manager
L10020 Office Zombie Director
L20026 Office Zombie CEO

more appropriate.

My bet is on yet another type of Deed - of course

Buying Company Deed +1 @ TP :)

So everyone is an owner now- who the feck is working in this place!!!

(Corporate Deed would sound better imo)

If I am right i expect 10% ownership interest as a marketing reward :silly2:

My bet is on yet another type of Deed - of course

Buying Company Deed +1 @ TP :)

So everyone is an owner now- who the feck is working in this place!!!

(Corporate Deed would sound better imo)

If I am right i expect 10% ownership interest as a marketing reward :silly2:

Selling HardWrath Deeds @ Twin Peaks :yay:

(profits will be derived from fees generated by pimping out Meloveyou LongTime FiveDolla)

Give you TT+1 for your hardwrath deeds. I hear they are worth a lot to the LGBT community.

Give you TT+1 for your hardwrath deeds. I hear they are worth a lot to the LGBT community.

Thats exactly where we will be marketing your "services" to :cool:

Something like that can be true, if there are going to be some additions in the current Entropia world.
Such as....
Companies or society system to work with shareholder system!
Brand naming!
Contracts system!
Renting system!
Employees system!
New land and space estates availability!
....maybe something more that I can't think of right now.

Being serious now... with a way for players (as companies) to create deeds that can be sold, I think it would open the door to all kinds of fraud. Lots of people would get screwed out of a lot of money.

With opportunities such as trade, land ownership, as well as others that yield a large ROI, there is nothing stopping someone from investing a large sum and then incorporating IRL. It's easy for some people to forget how much of a positive impact an entrepreneur can have on the game.

Interested here, but how did the old EU Stock Market work and is this picture we see here that may in turn be new type of Deeds be anything like you had with the old Stock Market?

And yes, I'm seeing that same ad popup all over this last week.

Interested here, but how did the old EU Stock Market work and is this picture we see here that may in turn be new type of Deeds be anything like you had with the old Stock Market?

And yes, I'm seeing that same ad popup all over this last week.

There was never an EU stock market. There was an inoperable terminal for one. Its something that was never implemented. As far as I know, the people in MA who envisioned it are no longer working at MA, Marco for example. The implementation of a stock market would have all kinds of legal problems.

Before rumors start going around... there is no reason to think there is going to be a new kind of deed. MindArk and the Planet Partners rely on the sale of deeds in a big way. There is no reason to think that they would be willing to pass that profit center on to players.

Im sure that the advertisement was meant to highlight the economic opportunities that already exist in EU.

there is no reason to think there is going to be a new kind of deed.

Im sure that the advertisement was meant to highlight the economic opportunities that already exist in EU.

I don't think this is a new ad either, I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. A number of players run companies in the game. It requires a lot of commitment but it's fun too.

There was never an EU stock market. There was an inoperable terminal for one. Its something that was never implemented. As far as I know, the people in MA who envisioned it are no longer working at MA, Marco for example. The implementation of a stock market would have all kinds of legal problems.

Thanks for the info

Yes I just brought this up since I heard about the old stock market and outside legal issues made them shut it down. So since it was forced to shut down I was only guessing it was up and running. So if MA were to try this again I wouldn't think it would last long..but then again we still do have RCE lootable space...so :eyecrazy:

I heard about the old stock market and outside legal issues made them shut it down.
So since it was forced to shut down I was only guessing it was up and running. So if MA were to try this again I wouldn't think it would last long..but then again we still do have RCE lootable space...so :eyecrazy:

MA wasnt forced to do anything, it wasnt shut down.

It never existed, it was never anything more than an idea.

There was a terminal called PE Exchange combined with all kinds of fantastical ideas promoted by Marco, a guy well known for selling the EU community on one idea or another that never would end up being implemented. Back then MindArk would to an extent involve the community in various ideas that were only in the brain storming process.

Perhaps Marco mentioned something (I forget), but there was a lot of speculation that MA couldnt move forward with the PE Exchange idea simply due to legal concerns. Thats completely different than being forced to shut something down.

Perhaps Marco mentioned something (I forget), but there was a lot of speculation that MA couldnt move forward with the PE Exchange idea simply due to legal concerns. Thats completely different than being forced to shut something down.

Sorry not debating with you, it's just my wording 'shut down' of the idea.

Some very good contributions in this thread e.g. oztwo, teiwaz, hardwrath. So thanks for that it's appreciated.

Companies isn't something new. I think we've mentioned it before, usually when a big item comes on sale e.g. LA, Planet. So a company could just be a mechanism to allow people to invest in those big items. Depending on how advanced the programming for companies is they could also be different types of companies e.g. something that incorporates factories- purchasing of resources, production of goods, to sales of goods.

The stock market idea also looks intriguing.

Hopefully these official in game companies would be more secure than the companies we've seen players form. Which depend a lot on trust and we've also seen scams that abuse that trust e.g. the in game society that bought a mothership which was scammed. Luckily in that case MA intervened and were able to sell the ship (bought by John Black Knight) and proceeds of the sale given to those who got scammed.

It never existed, it was never anything more than an idea.

I might be wrong but I recall someone mentioning the stock market or something similar was active for a very brief period but something went wrong. Possibly players manipulating the market which caused MA to shut down the system and buy out any stocks in game. This was all before I joined and based on hear say so I might be wrong. Perhaps other older players know more... and no I'm not trying to start an argument with you but just saying what I remember.

I started in Oct 2005 and at that point the "PE Exchange" terminals were in game and the statements from MA officials were along the lines of creating in-game companies such as Omegaton and allowing their stock to be traded.

Up until that point, the PE Exchange concept had never left the drawing board. It was either 2006 or 2007 when the PE Exchange terminals disappeared from the game.

It might be unrelated but in 2006 the US passed the "Unlawful Internet Gambling Act" which likely would have made it impossible for EU to have a virtual stock market.

All of that aside, I don't know how it would be possible long-term to sustain in-game companies (as a game mechanic) that were player controlled, and that had a stock that was traded in-game. No matter which way I approach the idea, it leads to a massive imbalance and ultimately the demise of EU. It's fundamentally inconsistent with the core economic aspects of this game.

As a result, I think it's safe to say that the ideas of an EU stock market as well as companies as a game feature are dead in the water.

I might be wrong but I recall someone mentioning the stock market or something similar was active for a very brief period but something went wrong. Possibly players manipulating the market which caused MA to shut down the system and buy out any stocks in game. This was all before I joined and based on hear say so I might be wrong. Perhaps other older players know more... and no I'm not trying to start an argument with you but just saying what I remember.

It did exist. Don't listen to HardWrath he doesn't know everything ;)

It was introduced in 4.1 (2002-12-20) before I joined.
Exchange

The Project Entropia Exchange is up! Here you can trade shares in various companies and organizations. The list of companies will increase as more and more are introduced. In the initial launch two entities exist - Sphere Ordnance (the Calypso ammunition manufacturer) and Friends of MindArk.

In 4.2 it was improved :)
Exchange enhanced

Several updates and enhancements have been made in the Project Entropia Exchange. Better information is available, and the interface has been tweaked for better understanding and functionality.

Then for every major update from 5.2 (2003-10-15) until 6.0 this known issue was in the release notes
Known issues
Currently, the virtual companies on the Exchange doesn’t offer any shares.

Then in 6.1 it suddenly read instead
Known issues
Currently, the virtual companies on the Exchange do not offer any stock. If you have stock certificates from the time they were available, and want to discuss the matter, please contact the Project Entropia support.

And finally in 6.2 (2004-11-02) it was no more
Share owners

All avatars owning shares from the time the Project Entropia Exchange was in operation will have their shares reimbursed at twice the purchase sum. The shares are then removed from Project Entropia. The Exchange is closed but may be reopened in a later VU.

The deeds during this era were called "Exchange certificates". So in total shares where available for less than a year. And the whole thing was active for almost two years. I never managed to make may way over to Hadesheim and visit the PE stock exchange before the shares stopped selling :( but I do remember reading the VU notes and be very interested to learn more about it. I believe the current deed system is the PE Stock Exchange revived and improved. Unfortunately it's built into the existing auction system because of lack of time and vision imo. That is the only thing I truly miss, a dedicated stock exchange... I believe we never had more than those two original companies in the stock exchange, but I can be wrong. Hard to remember exactly after 10 years :)

Details extracted from the EP wiki.

Don't talk about things you know nothing about.

All of that aside, I don't know how it would be possible long-term to sustain in-game companies (as a game mechanic) that were player controlled, and that had a stock that was traded in-game. No matter which way I approach the idea, it leads to a massive imbalance and ultimately the demise of EU. It's fundamentally inconsistent with the core economic aspects of this game.

As a result, I think it's safe to say that the ideas of an EU stock market as well as companies as a game feature are dead in the water.

I think you're viewing the stock exchange in the wrong way.
It's not a way for us to create in game companies. It is a way for IRL companies to bound with the user base of entropia.
See it as a crowd funding thing and at the same time a virtual stock exchange.
With the idea to launch things in game that the residents of entropia can benefit from.

So in summary, I'd say that GeorgeSkywalker's ideas has no relation to the old PE stock exchange.
Rather the factories we have yet to see... And other than that, all other input in this thread about virtual ventures in entropia.

I see a few possibilities for companies and shares, however I am certain the ad is about starting an in game business like the ones we have today.

Shares could be implemented in a way that is controlled by MA. For instance buying an omegaton share would yield a return whenever an item of said brand is decayed. However, this would essentially be the same as any other deed and I don't see that happening.

For companies controlled by players, there would be a few possibilities. Factories are possible, just by an estate and pop in a few crafting terminals and add a function to control resources and employees. I see use for this, however it is somewhat small as of today. For instance:

I craft items X. To do so I need materials A, B and C. I buy an estate and place a few crafting terminals inside. Inside my company terminal I add three blueprints, A; B and C, and materials to construct these along with a "Minimum professional requirement" of 5, 8 and 10. I then add Whiteknut, Marco and Santa Claus to my list of employees after evaluating their skills. Whiteknut is given a salary of 0.001 ped per click. Marco gets 0.002 and Santa Claus gets 0.003. Now these three could go in and craft the materials for me at any time.

It could be expanded further. I could add Ace as a supplier and set special buying rates for him, add a terminal where he could sell his materials to me, and control the quantities through my Company terminal.

But these things will never happen. It would be possible though.

Back