Build your own company

I think you're viewing the stock exchange in the wrong way.

See it as a crowd funding thing and at the same time a virtual stock exchange.
With the idea to launch things in game that the residents of entropia can benefit from.

I think to an extent that idea has merit and is worth being explored, but it will require some new thinking and truly new ideas because any new items that impact hunting, mining, crafting, and space travel would have detrimental effects on market values of existing things. Moreover the manufacturing process as it exists is incompatible with such a concept.

Really any kind of item that's created would undermine something else. I don't see how it could be balanced without completely reinventing the whole game.

Shares could be implemented in a way that is controlled by MA. For instance buying an omegaton share would yield a return whenever an item of said brand is decayed. However, this would essentially be the same as any other deed and I don't see that happening.

Ok, but then who pays for that % of decay? It certainly won't be MindArk and the Planet Partners. Ultimately that percentage of decay would come out of available potential loot returns which really makes it a whole new kind of in-game tax on each player which nearly no one will support.

For companies controlled by players, there would be a few possibilities. Factories are possible, just by an estate and pop in a few crafting terminals and add a function to control resources and employees. I see use for this, however it is somewhat small as of today. For instance:

I craft items X. To do so I need materials A, B and C. I buy an estate and place a few crafting terminals inside. Inside my company terminal I add three blueprints, A; B and C, and materials to construct these along with a "Minimum professional requirement" of 5, 8 and 10. I then add Whiteknut, Marco and Santa Claus to my list of employees after evaluating their skills. Whiteknut is given a salary of 0.001 ped per click. Marco gets 0.002 and Santa Claus gets 0.003. Now these three could go in and craft the materials for me at any time.

It could be expanded further. I could add Ace as a supplier and set special buying rates for him, add a terminal where he could sell his materials to me, and control the quantities through my Company terminal.

But these things will never happen. It would be possible though.

That also would force a new tax/cost on whichever player is risking his own PED by crafting. Moreover, with the crafting system as it's designed, this concept isn't consistent with the reality of loot returns and market dynamics.

I know it's much easier to shoot down ideas than it is to come up with them but if someone can think of a way to make it work long term without causing imbalance problems I'm sure that MA would be very interested in exploring it.

Last edited:
I think to an extent that idea has merit and is worth being explored, but it will require some new thinking and truly new ideas because any new items that impact hunting, mining, crafting, and space travel would have detrimental effects on market values of existing things. Moreover the manufacturing process as it exists is incompatible with such a concept.

Really any kind of item that's created would undermine something else. I don't see how it could be balanced without completely reinventing the whole game.

Ok, but then who pays for that % of decay? It certainly won't be MindArk and the Planet Partners. Ultimately that percentage of decay would come out of available potential loot returns which really makes it a whole new kind of in-game tax on each player which nearly no one will support.

That also would force a new tax/cost on whichever player is risking his own PED by crafting. Moreover, with the crafting system as it's designed, this concept isn't consistent with the reality of loot returns and market dynamics.

I know it's much easier to shoot down ideas than it is to come up with them but if someone can think of a way to make it work long term without causing imbalance problems I'm sure that MA would be very interested in exploring it.

Regarding shares, yes, it would require either a new tax or a loss of income for MA which is why I don't think it's going to happen.

Regarding factory idea: It wouldn't work as of today since every material can be bought at a cost below the production cost. It could however be implemented with the current crafting system if, and only if, new blueprints are added to make it worthwhile. If the component prints are super rare and cost 15k to obtain, said component would be a lot rarer even if the markup on materials is low. Perhaps UL versions of L prints or something. On top of that we would need high end prints that requires a ton of these materials to motivate the crafters to pay others to craft them.

It would be doable but would require quite an amount of brain storming to become an attractive option.

Edit: Here is an example:

I loot Mothership (L) blueprint. Materials needed:

300000 Lysterium Bolts
1000000 Polish (because it must be shiny)
50000 Aluminum sheet metal (Hey, new ore!)

Now to obtain these materials I would need their respective blueprints which could be super rare. If I manage to get these I could craft it myself. Problem would be that these prints might only give a stack of five for a successful attempt. For the total of 1 350 000 materials I would need 270000 successful clicks. At 50% success that is 540000 clicks. At 500 per hour, I would need to spend 1080 hours at the crafting machine. That's 45 days of constant clicking...

We would need blueprints that requires ridiculous amounts of materials, rare material blueprints with ridiculously low cost per click and as far as salaries go, I'm guessing that free skills would be the only payment in this example to make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
It seems people are reading way too much into an advertisement.

The problem with 'companies' (verse sole proprietorships - being a company implies more than one person) in EU is the fact that in RL employers pay for their employee's time because the owner / boss doesn't have enough time to do everything his / her self. EU is generally viewed as entertainment (yes even sweating!) - people don't generally view being an employee as entertainment. Everyone is imagining the fun of being the companies owner, for for every owner there'd need to be multiple employees.

There are exceptions; "companies" in EU where the employees are paid for their time / services. One great example is Neil Greenleaf's mining thing. I don't know the details, but it looks like both parties are coming out ahead there. An other would be the callers for mother-ship warps. These are both innovative things that grew organically, something that an officially implemented system would not work well with.

Any idea that MA could come up with would either be totally artificial (and exploitable by secondary avatars / bots) or would intentionally make something less entertaining so there would be a need for the 'employees'. That's just a no win deal.

It seems people are reading way too much into an advertisement.
Mindark (and some Planet Partners) has a long history of some nearly false or outright false advertising, lol.

http://content-of-oblivion.blogspot.de/

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...3-Marco-said&p=2597728&viewfull=1#post2597728

rock2.jpg

A company can mean many things...

I think you guys are getting bogged down by minor details and missing the big picture completely. While the success of something like this does lie in the detail, for our discussion it's better perhaps to look at solutions and alternatives (as well as the problems if you really must:) ).

I'm just rolling around a few ideas in my mind. For example in the bigger scheme of things if we have planetary warfare then factories would be crucial for the production of weapons, ammunitions etc indeed a planets overall contro/survival could depend on it. Now I'm not saying we are going to have planetary warfare but it's one possible scenario.

With regard to shares and stock exchange that appears to be more complex but certainly possible if we explore alternative scenarios. For example Colbey Kal may have company A which manufactures Limited Motherships and anyone buying shares in his company may receive dividends from his profits. His profits could be from the sale of his motherships. Again just using motherships as an example, not saying we are going to have limited motherships.

Below is the kind of new Calypso adverts on the internet. It states, "Build your own company". So if that is being advertised now do you think we could have them in the next update? and how will they work?

company.jpg

Until MA allow signing "in game" contracts with some kind of arbitrary for making some paid jobs those bussineses will remain only marketing BS. Ofcourse those jobs have to be paid from players to players - any NPC in this case is idiotic.

I think you guys are getting bogged down by minor details and missing the big picture completely. While the success of something like this does lie in the detail, for our discussion it's better perhaps to look at solutions and alternatives (as well as the problems if you really must:) ).

I'm all for more development of on the economic front, in any form - to me, that's what makes EU awesome. I loved the X series of games, but as an economic simulator nothing holds a candle to EU. My point was that trying to design an economy from the top down has very real issues. What MA could do would take two broad paths. 1) Reduce "scams" (Fraud) 2) Give players the tools to create their own business.

Reducing fraud wouldn't be easy. It would probably involve cracking down hard on all players that use exploits and it may involve encouraging players that do get scammed to pursue real-world legal action. Theft & corruption are major drains on any economy.

Increasing player options may actually be very easy to implement / code, but the difficulty would be in coming up with the ideas. A great example are the 'banks' in-game. Economically, they're awesome. They are letting the owners move their unused PED to people who can put it to better use. It's a win, win transaction where both parties are better off for making the deal - the fundamental principle of capitalism. There could easily be other 'Robot Shop Keepers' like that. There could be one that acts like an auction order, but can only be placed in an estate and the 1 PED / Day fee is removed (or set to a per unit basis), or one that only sells stackable materials / components / resources / enhancers, but lets people buy the exact amount they are looking for while letting the seller not worry about restocking their shop every morning. I am sure you could come up with better ideas, but ultimately I think making an artificial demand for labor is the wrong was to go.

Until MA allow signing "in game" contracts with some kind of arbitrary for making some paid jobs those bussineses will remain only marketing BS. Ofcourse those jobs have to be paid from players to players - any NPC in this case is idiotic.
too bad crd never came to life...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Technolo...d-virtual-world/2007/05/31/1180205355632.html

CRD chief executive David Liu predicted that the virtual worlds will generate approximately 10,000 jobs in China.
"An important aspect for this project is also the positive effects on our environment that we foresee," Liu said in a release.
"People will actually be able to work from home inside Entropia Universe, as many people do today, even from rural areas, thereby decreasing the amount of pollution generated by travel."
Liu said Entropia provides a secure operating platform for trade, business transactions, cultural exchanges and other activities.

Buy BristleHogs (PA Mall Floor 3 # Bunny Invest) for your own 'Electrik Company' :monkey:

20111128_eu_banner.jpg

Anyone here who doesn't meet the official player requirements? :rolleyes:

B.I.G. industries
Sig
etc etc.

companies.

10 Bristlehogs + 323 green paint cans --> PET FARM --> 1 green bristlehog
1000 Bristlehogs --> ELECTRIC COMPANY --> 10 electric chips --> :yay: 1 electric bunny :yay:

10 Bristlehogs + 323 green paint cans --> PET FARM --> 1 green bristlehog
1000 Bristlehogs --> ELECTRIC COMPANY --> 10 electric chips --> :yay: 1 electric bunny :yay:

Spam is getting worse on PCF than MF... :scratch2:

They announce the interplanetary cargo transport mechanics.
They advertise "create your own company".
They announce a new mystery ship type.

Coincidence? :dunno:

I saw this ad and started company!

TACO Sealcoat Inc., has been operating in the Asphalt, Maintenance Industry for 1 days and counting. We are proud to be a member of the Better Business Bureau. We offer many specialties including; installing new parking lots, personal driveways, private streets, seal coating, crack filling and line marking. Our company focuses on not just what’s on the surface of the asphalt but below grade as well.

We understand that your driveway or parking lot is one of the most expensive investments that you can own, which is why we have a complete service package to fit your needs.

Our crew can sealcoat up to 250,000 sq.ft, by hand in one day and prep and install about 50,000 sq.ft of pavement in a full day. We are prepared for any challenge that comes in our direction.

We are based in an industrial park located just outside of Fort Pandora.

We have no jobs yet though. We might have to move overseas....I heard there are more roads on Rocktropia.

Also, my secretary is currently roaming the Camp Icarus area looking for a high visibility rental with a full kitchen build-out so she can cook and sell her delicious cupcakes...

I am afraid this is just one more example of ads giving the wrong impression to people. Just as I thought I'd come in and get filthy rich sweating (which was pretty much the conclusion of the article which introduced PE to me) and just as others thought they'd get filthy rich owning asteroids-nightclubs... the people who will click this add will end up really dissappointed. Sure, you can build a company, but with shops being priced as they are, it is not very feasible.

So, people will be dissappointed, tell others, and EU will gain some bad rep again...

Back