Reward for reporting exploits?

Amber Knightley

Prowler
Society
Sons of Anarchy
Amber Blastie Knightley
There was a time when one could get rewarded for reporting exploits.
I don't think there even exist an exploit option in the list of reasons when you make a support case these days.
Is it something you think should get re-introduced?

Exploit Information Reward System active

At the Support section at www.project-entropia.com a new Exploit reporting category has been added. Participants who encounter "exploits" (bugs that can be manipulated into cheating) and report these to MindArk can be rewarded with up to 1000 PED:s.

This is from the VU notes of 4.2

i don't think that is a good thing. it remember me at the old UDSSR or DDR, where ppl other ppl investigated and reportet to the couverment.

it would end up that MA get 1000 of reports, just about ppl think to get some peds, when they may report a cheat. no matter it is a cheat or not.

reporting exploits these days results in the reporter no longer being able to utilize the exploit while all others in game do utilize it unhindered... as a result many don't report exploits any longer because they don't wish to be discriminated against. There is no such thing as a whistle blower in this 'as is' platform.

I once aided support ingame showing a tech from MA a bug and how it worked ( the Tech actually logged in and had me show what the bug was all about and how it was reproducable )

I find it natural to report bugs, i dont need a reward for it, the reward is a better game for all imo.

If we add rewards, people will report everything, hoping for a quick buck.

i don't think that is a good thing. it remember me at the old UDSSR or DDR, where ppl other ppl investigated and reportet to the couverment.

It's exactly how it works now, people eagerly report each other to not allow a slightest advantage, no need to pay for it, the knowledge that your neighbor is as hungry as you are is the best reward :)

... as a result many don't report exploits any longer because they don't wish to be discriminated against.

More than true.
I reported so many bugs and I know I helped mindark considering the answers they gave me.
Anyway, It is clear that I took all in the face.

But report so called exploits paied for some people...

Never I saw someone suddenly become the most lucky player in the game that fast.
The God touch.

IIRC some people have gotten a lot more than 1k PED for reporting a serious bug. Didn't MA hand out a set or two of PoTE? :scratch2:

We sometimes offer rewards when the bug is deemed serious enough and it's the first report we've gotten about that particular issue. This is still very much in place.

I recall a guy who received a Angel harness (m) for reporting a serious exploit many years ago. Never heard of whole Poe sets being rewarded.

You also have players telling newbies about the exploits and who then report them for using it.

Do I think that there should be reward for reporting an exploit, perhaps.

Thank being said, I think that many are missing the big picture, here.

Reporting and exploit is this: I have discovered quite by accident that if I do this, the results are this, and it could be very detrimental to the system as a whole, and people could take advantage of this, knowingly or unknowingly.

Reporting an exploit is NOT this: I saw so and so do such and such and I think they are using some exploit, because there is no other possible explanation for how they are able to advance in this game.

Reporting an exploit is NOT a witch hunt.

As far as being rewarded for reporting a genuine bug that could lead to exploits, I guess it depends on the situation. After the introduction of shrapnel, a soc m8 of mine discovered a bug that resulted in, basically, unlimited ammo. I didn't believe him until I was able to reproduce the bug. I tried to reproduce the bug a second time, and was able to do so. Immediately, I sent a support case, describing the bug and describing step-by-step what actions I took to reproduce the bug. I received one reply asking for clarification of the information I received. The support case has since been closed, and I do not know what action has been taken, if any.

Do I think I deserve reward for this? No, not really. I didn't report it to say "hey, I want a reward for saving what could, potentially, be a lot of money for MA." I reported it because I was certain it could be used as an exploit, and I also wanted to cover my own ass for reproducing the bug twice. :laugh:

I have no idea if they fixed this bug, nor do I care to test it out just to see.... but again, I expect no reward for reporting what I considered to be a serious potential exploit.

Just my :twocents:

We sometimes offer rewards when the bug is deemed serious enough and it's the first report we've gotten about that particular issue. This is still very much in place.

good_men.jpg

You may or may not get a reward, but serious exploits if allowed to continue, may collapse the whole universe for all of us.

Older players may remember the "unlimited mining amps" exploit that must have cost MA (and then as customers, ALL OF US) thousands of $.....

And that is why the mention of unlimited ammo scares the shit out of me...

Do I think that there should be reward for reporting an exploit, perhaps.

Thank being said, I think that many are missing the big picture, here.

Reporting and exploit is this: I have discovered quite by accident that if I do this, the results are this, and it could be very detrimental to the system as a whole, and people could take advantage of this, knowingly or unknowingly.

Reporting an exploit is NOT this: I saw so and so do such and such and I think they are using some exploit, because there is no other possible explanation for how they are able to advance in this game.

Reporting an exploit is NOT a witch hunt.

As far as being rewarded for reporting a genuine bug that could lead to exploits, I guess it depends on the situation. After the introduction of shrapnel, a soc m8 of mine discovered a bug that resulted in, basically, unlimited ammo. I didn't believe him until I was able to reproduce the bug. I tried to reproduce the bug a second time, and was able to do so. Immediately, I sent a support case, describing the bug and describing step-by-step what actions I took to reproduce the bug. I received one reply asking for clarification of the information I received. The support case has since been closed, and I do not know what action has been taken, if any.

Do I think I deserve reward for this? No, not really. I didn't report it to say "hey, I want a reward for saving what could, potentially, be a lot of money for MA." I reported it because I was certain it could be used as an exploit, and I also wanted to cover my own ass for reproducing the bug twice. :laugh:

I have no idea if they fixed this bug, nor do I care to test it out just to see.... but again, I expect no reward for reporting what I considered to be a serious potential exploit.

Just my :twocents:

This. There are already people in this game that if they notice someone hit a few hofs they run here to the forums, make a stupid poll and then make a long post about what a martyr they are for not cheating because they are attention whores. If you want this forum to be thread after thread of accusations, toss in a reward. That'll do it.

Reporting exploits should be private, anonymous and ASAP. A bug on the other hand... Report it loud and proud. Squeaky wheel gets the grease

Back