FYI: Let's help MA design a spaceship!

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Well as we saw, take a Quad, apply red paint and a Ferrari logo and hey presto! 50000 Ped.

Seriously though with so many space MMOs designing heaps of unique and interesting ships we have to help MA design a couple of new ones. So let's crowd fund it.
For 2 weeks post your designs and pledges here. Once all the designs are in we will vote on the top three.
depending on the pledges we will have a first, second and third prize.
maybe we might be able to pass them on to MA to make it a reality.

I pledge 50Ped to the prize pool.

On a side note why hasn't MA implemented any of their previous designs in the picture below?
entropia_spaceships_jpg1named.jpg

Spaceship_ferrari___final_by_Vincdesign.jpg

Something like this for sure ... :D

lamborghini-aventador-limo_2.jpg

Similar to the Equus but with extra seating for passengers! :)

Maybe something more realistic, like the space shuttle.

tumblr_mc9unk3DRD1req0axo1_500.jpg

On a side note why hasn't MA implemented any of their previous designs in the picture below?
Perhaps these are all on their way. Over the next twenty years or so. Space will have to be a lot bigger than it currently is though.

They should have used "anti-mothership bomber" or "Imperium Spaceship" IMO...

Well as we saw, take a Quad, apply red paint and a Ferrari logo and hey presto! 50000 Ped.

Seriously though with so many space MMOs designing heaps of unique and interesting ships we have to help MA design a couple of new ones. So let's crowd fund it.
For 2 weeks post your designs and pledges here. Once all the designs are in we will vote on the top three.
depending on the pledges we will have a first, second and third prize.
maybe we might be able to pass them on to MA to make it a reality.

I pledge 50Ped to the prize pool.

i think they already have alot of ideas and models already done, since this picture you posted is mindarks official , so i dont think they need any ideas.

and after all - quad is rly awsome and unique plane that they made people to buy it for 5k usd , because people want to be unique + to have ul warps and trusters, that price is not so rly big.

irl people pay 500 usd for a watter that was in came place as diamonds, but there is simply watter and nothing more, so why to not let people to buy a "picture" that can be usefull to them in game thay want to play.

i think they already have alot of ideas and models already done, since this picture you posted is mindarks official , so i dont think they need any ideas.

and after all - quad is rly awsome and unique plane that they made people to buy it for 5k usd , because people want to be unique + to have ul warps and trusters, that price is not so rly big.

irl people pay 500 usd for a watter that was in came place as diamonds, but there is simply watter and nothing more, so why to not let people to buy a "picture" that can be usefull to them in game thay want to play.

So your getting 2 of them ?

I would much rather see them focus more on the mechanics and gameplay of space, not making new ships.

Necessary Tools

I tend to think that there is nothing preventing users (or anyone else) from designing assets for Entropia Universe in good faith. An initiative to help make the Entropia Universe environment more diverse and interesting could become the foundation of a viable modding community for Entropia Universe.

The tools for designing ships for CryEngine may include:

NifScope:
http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope

& Blender:
http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.73/

for textures and models. Then you'll need CryEngine editor for the vehicle builder:
http://www.cryengine.com/community/downloads.php?view=detail&category=125&df_id=5310

It'll also be worth getting involved with the CryEngine forums for guidance on all the fiddly bits which go with designing items for 3D worlds. Anyone could just start simply with the modification of existing vehicle assets that ship with the kit and gradually work up to the 3D modelling - if at all necessary. I've heard good things about the later Editors for CryEngine and the "Vehicle Creator" sounds very promising.

Actually why Design.. Re-design!

Alright since we're on teh topic of spaceship design, and other things, Might I suggest that MA doesn't need to redesign the exterior of theAniara Motherships, but rather the Interior..

The interior of the Mother ship is at worst a very innefficent design and for good reason..

The Issues I see are in fact start at the back of the ship and wortk their way forwards..

Let's look at the hangar shall we?

The Hangar for the mother ship should be able to house a fighter squadron that could be easily made to launch at a moment's notice to defend the ship from "Enemy Attack" (Read as pirates).

Also the bay is solid on the egress and entry point but it needs to be a bit wider to allow ships to enter and exit at the same time..

But the main sticking problem I see ar those darn Centerline stairwells that exist along the centerline of the ship (Frankly the stair wells should be placed along the edges and not in teh middle as to allow ease of acce3ss to the fighter pilots and the crew..

Let's move up to the Propulsion.. Now Propulsion is in fact locaded below the center line of the ship.. and my question to Mindark is why? Is it that the Subwarp drives have to fit underneeth the ship, they could be actually above and extend behind it much like the Drives on the saucer section of the USS Enterprise..(Not the Mothership but the Star Trek Model)

Also the center plating that surrounds a point that has nor serves no purpose that has an opening for Players to fall through is a bit .. stupid.. How many times has a player fallien inbetween this engine and the actual watlk way to the ship's front...I've done this at least a dozen times and a lot of times I have had to Hit T to get out and respwn almost as far awy from Propulsion as possible.. an nd in a fire fight where you are repairer you need to get back to your post in a hurry, or have someone take over your bpot down on Propulsion dec, rather than you.. and you take over their position in relation to the point you spawn from..

Reactor? Well this is pretty sold as it is the center of the ship but come on Narrow walkways to allow a player to scramble down is again in efficient.. you have to go down a short flight fo stairs then do 2 (yes two entended walks down the walkways to get to the repair points.. and that takes as many as 4-5 seconds.. again this is about efficiency and not about how the layout should be..

Now of all the decks in the Aniara ship, the Command center is properly positioned.. it doesn';t need to actually have any issues with changing the deck layout around.. In fact Leav e that as it..

Only thing I would move from Command would be the board layout for the actual tadle that develops the power grid.. This should go down to the reactor or Propulsion levels..

As for the Fueling.. why not put it next to the SI Table? Again speed and efficiency is the key here..

Now if you want to see a better designed ship, you might want to look at the pri\vateer, and in fact this is the best layout I've seen.. Propulsion and reactor o at the bottom, centralized..
Cred Deck Mid Section.. again nice layout..
Top deck, Gunners and Pilot seat..

Very position there nothing to change..

now as for new ships.. that will be broght up on the topic in my next post..

But until MA first fixes the flaws then the status quo sf space will never change..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Pilot Callsign 'Coyote")
a.k.a." The Blind Sniper" and "His_Dog_Spot"

Tip:
Dont know if I can post this but if you dont have a design tool for 3d (aka dont want to dl Blender) you can do 3d online on this page... www.clara.io

Why don't you all just pledge your money to me, I'm just as likely to implement new ships in Entropia.:broke:

I think you all are forgetting MA's tag line "programming is hard".

Who do you think you are? NASA?

Why don't you all just pledge your money to me, I'm just as likely to implement new ships in Entropia.:broke:

I think you all are forgetting MA's tag line "programming is hard".

*Poke*

NASA's Tag Line is this: Designing a rocket is easy, Making it fly is hard.

I mean if anyone and I mean anyone, had to design a real rocket or aircraft, or spacefighter designing it is truly easy.. but making it work is much like MA's tag line..because now you'll have to program it.."

After all we don't want things like this to happen when we take off from any planet..

But hey, if you got ties to Elon Musk, or Richard Branson, or even Chris Roberts, then hey, get in contact with them.. Show them this game, and see what they think. They might fund it for you Xane.

provided you can give them ample reason to do so.. If you got that much time on your hands, then by all means, present them with a business proposal..

Or as Gordon "Gordo" Cooper said in the movie "The Right Stuff"

"We want a Window."

that's all I have to say..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Spacepilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a "The Blind Sniper" and "His_Dog_Spot".

Last edited:
they didn't use those other designs because they were working on this:

Seriously though - your thread idea is nice.

If I had any artistic talent, could draw, or even use photoshop - id give it a go, unfortunately I cant do any of that :laugh: But really nice idea :)

Now if you want to see a better designed ship, you might want to look at the privateer, and in fact this is the best layout I've seen.. Propulsion and reactor o at the bottom, centralized..

But until MA first fixes the flaws then the status quo sf space will never change..

Now while I agree with the above, the exterior could use a redesign. Get rid of those useless fins for a start. They just get in the way of the gunners view especially the top rear gun which has a good view of the top of the fin that its perched on when pointing directly aft. There are also three small gun turrets in each side on the midline and two more on the underside at the bow that are not connected to any gunner seat.

I suppose that they may be something that MA intends to do more with in the future, but as it is now, they are useless decoration. And, on the subject of the interior, there's a doorway situated directly opposite the SI table that is (at the present) non functional - it goes nowhere.

Now while I agree with the above, the exterior could use a redesign. Get rid of those useless fins for a start. They just get in the way of the gunners view especially the top rear gun which has a good view of the top of the fin that its perched on when pointing directly aft. There are also three small gun turrets in each side on the midline and two more on the underside at the bow that are not connected to any gunner seat.

I suppose that they may be something that MA intends to do more with in the future, but as it is now, they are useless decoration. And, on the subject of the interior, there's a doorway situated directly opposite the SI table that is (at the present) non functional - it goes nowhere.

Well then, I think we are gonna need to start the redesign then, and the rreal question is.. How to do it? I mean I'm more than willing to give modelers ideas on how a hangar deck (and other decks on a ship Like the Anara class should be laid out..(Also I dunno why we couldn't get a complete exterior look as well..

So who's up to the challenge? Anyone?

Benjamin Ben Coyote
A.K.A. "The Blind Sniper"

interesting idea... would look into it if I had more free time. Whatever happened to planet postmoderna?

Be careful not to design too closely to startrek designs... easy to pull up blueprints on those online.

Last edited:
Alright since we're on teh topic of spaceship design, and other things, Might I suggest that MA doesn't need to redesign the exterior of theAniara Motherships, but rather the Interior..

The interior of the Mother ship is at worst a very innefficent design and for good reason..

The Issues I see are in fact start at the back of the ship and wortk their way forwards..

Let's look at the hangar shall we?

The Hangar for the mother ship should be able to house a fighter squadron that could be easily made to launch at a moment's notice to defend the ship from "Enemy Attack" (Read as pirates).

Also the bay is solid on the egress and entry point but it needs to be a bit wider to allow ships to enter and exit at the same time..

But the main sticking problem I see ar those darn Centerline stairwells that exist along the centerline of the ship (Frankly the stair wells should be placed along the edges and not in teh middle as to allow ease of acce3ss to the fighter pilots and the crew..

Let's move up to the Propulsion.. Now Propulsion is in fact locaded below the center line of the ship.. and my question to Mindark is why? Is it that the Subwarp drives have to fit underneeth the ship, they could be actually above and extend behind it much like the Drives on the saucer section of the USS Enterprise..(Not the Mothership but the Star Trek Model)

Also the center plating that surrounds a point that has nor serves no purpose that has an opening for Players to fall through is a bit .. stupid.. How many times has a player fallien inbetween this engine and the actual watlk way to the ship's front...I've done this at least a dozen times and a lot of times I have had to Hit T to get out and respwn almost as far awy from Propulsion as possible.. an nd in a fire fight where you are repairer you need to get back to your post in a hurry, or have someone take over your bpot down on Propulsion dec, rather than you.. and you take over their position in relation to the point you spawn from..

Reactor? Well this is pretty sold as it is the center of the ship but come on Narrow walkways to allow a player to scramble down is again in efficient.. you have to go down a short flight fo stairs then do 2 (yes two entended walks down the walkways to get to the repair points.. and that takes as many as 4-5 seconds.. again this is about efficiency and not about how the layout should be..

Now of all the decks in the Aniara ship, the Command center is properly positioned.. it doesn';t need to actually have any issues with changing the deck layout around.. In fact Leav e that as it..

Only thing I would move from Command would be the board layout for the actual tadle that develops the power grid.. This should go down to the reactor or Propulsion levels..

As for the Fueling.. why not put it next to the SI Table? Again speed and efficiency is the key here..

Now if you want to see a better designed ship, you might want to look at the pri\vateer, and in fact this is the best layout I've seen.. Propulsion and reactor o at the bottom, centralized..

Of course it is possible to make designs with efficiency in mind - however it would be sad if we ended up with a 100% efficient 'design' were everything can be controlled from one seat and noone has to move anymore - because we dont need to play a game if we have made all functions 'automatic'.
The whole fun of operating a spacecraft is to have to make tactical decisions , what to repair when, how to navigate the ship, which turrets to man and bring in target line for shooting and which sections to defend when the ship is getting boarded...
Those unused doors are most likely placed there for future boarding parties to enter the ships and the ship layouts will contribute to some interesting combat possibilities when this day comes however we are still in beta-space so lots needs to be done before we see current ship layouts in full functionality.
A major step towards more space in hangar would be to finally change mothership size to be equal to the mothership size planetside which would mean they were alot larger and would easily have the space to have 10-30 quads rdy in hangar for takeoff.
The reactor repair point is fine as it is as it can be repaired from all levels except the spinning part itself.
If at all there should be more flexibility for repairs like having other spots in the ship to repair straight and the tools being more efficient on repairs the closer they get applied to the actual damage source - that would increase the demand for highly active crew that is ready to detect the source of damage and fix it on the spot which would be much more versatile, challenging and fun then standing in a single spot on autorepairs.
However both options should be avaiable to make sure the basic needs of a spacecraft are covered even when the crew is partially afk as is likely to happen the larger the number of crew gets.

This is getting a bit off topic, but my own thoughts about that door is that it might be intended to allow exit from the ship to mine when and if space mining is introduced. I don't know how boarding would be done when as you know, only ppl on the ship's GL can access the ship.

let's get away from the illogical layout of the current ship and focus on the logical.

Of course it is possible to make designs with efficiency in mind - however it would be sad if we ended up with a 100% efficient 'design' were everything can be controlled from one seat and noone has to move anymore - because we dont need to play a game if we have made all functions 'automatic'.
The whole fun of operating a spacecraft is to have to make tactical decisions , what to repair when, how to navigate the ship, which turrets to man and bring in target line for shooting and which sections to defend when the ship is getting boarded...
Those unused doors are most likely placed there for future boarding parties to enter the ships and the ship layouts will contribute to some interesting combat possibilities when this day comes however we are still in beta-space so lots needs to be done before we see current ship layouts in full functionality.
A major step towards more space in hangar would be to finally change mothership size to be equal to the mothership size planetside which would mean they were alot larger and would easily have the space to have 10-30 quads rdy in hangar for takeoff.
The reactor repair point is fine as it is as it can be repaired from all levels except the spinning part itself.
If at all there should be more flexibility for repairs like having other spots in the ship to repair straight and the tools being more efficient on repairs the closer they get applied to the actual damage source - that would increase the demand for highly active crew that is ready to detect the source of damage and fix it on the spot which would be much more versatile, challenging and fun then standing in a single spot on autorepairs.
However both options should be avaiable to make sure the basic needs of a spacecraft are covered even when the crew is partially afk as is likely to happen the larger the number of crew gets.

Very astute points John but I would like to point ou something about the way the design is laid out right now (and hopefully MA will increase the crew compliments on the Anara class mother ship from say 50 to well over 200.. at least a crew compliment for both fighter (Quads) Gunners, Repairers and of ocurse Tactical officers..

Now as for layout, the one sticking point in the current design are those stairs that are in the middle of the hangar.. and it's this that is really hampering defense forces..

If those were moved from say the center line to the outer edges (and put said doors near those stairs for ingress/defense, then the logic of haivng a wide open hangar would be plausible..

Also I don't see a logic of putting the fuel tanks under the hangar deck either, and this goes back to the layout of an Aircraft carrier.. Most fuel tanks (except in most of today's nuclear Nimitz class carriers ususlaly don't have their power plats or their nuclear fuel located in the hangar.. that's just fool hardy and stupid at worst. Usually the reactors on most shiops are locatd deep within the bowels of the ship, but the subwarp fuel tanks? They should be near or close to the center of the chip (Probably next to the reactors)

Now as for the propulsion section, this is probably another sticking point.. Cause the Hangar if I remember correctly is above the propuslsion section on any Anara class ship..

The point is, if the fuel doesn't go next to the reactor (which I am going to suggest is a warp reactor (a la Star Trek) then the fuel must logically go next to the propulsion (or subwar reactors..)

Now as for Armament, the ships layout is really not too bad there, but the overall dsign of the gunning areas suggest to me that the Guns are under the ship and there is no top coverage..

but then I've hear there are rear guns and yet I have yet to see them function fight..

The point is, that the Anara should be the Captial carrier of the fleet, and not a destroyer..

and yet the layout is more of a destroyer than a carrier..

This is probably where MA (or us) need to start the redisn.. and to actually tear the ship apoart from stem to stern and make it so that there is logic and progression here..

But the layout should be logical and thought out, currently the design of the Anara class ship is at best haphazard and confusing to some playes at worst..(unles they are very good at memorization..)

but frankly I'd like to see some floor plans drawn out, and laid out so tha the logic is there.. the reason for the doors, the logic for stair placement, the layout for offensive nd defensive strategies..

After all if done correctly the ship could indeed be a wonderful place to work on for many a player..

If not, then this is where we are now..

So I think it's about high time to layout the ship and do it in locical format.. that's all I'm asking of any ship designer..

(Oh and yes, Let's not have star Trek ro star wars or any type of sci fi version taht we already know.. let's ake it unique so that the player can ennjosy the fun of the battle, and not be overly frustrated..

(and who knows.. maybe we need some new upgrades to the quades themselves too, including particle beam weaponry.. (and there's a bit of logic behind that as well, and if I can find the actual video I'll show you why Particle beams are better in some ways than lasters.. or BLP..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
"A.k.a" The Blind Sniper" (and) "His_Dog_Spot"

Whenever this thread pops up in my CP I instantly think of the moment in the Hitchikers Guide movie where the ship turns into a ball of wool and Notting needles.

Back