Stable Owners and Player Base

Mercury

Marauder
Society
Dark Templar
Jenna "Star" Mercury
Firstly, I'll preface this by saying that I don't own a huge share of the Port Atlantis stable. I don't stand to profit a ton more by there being a change in this system. I benefit as much or more than the rest of you as I'm at very high avatar health ingame and an addition of 10 health for almost no cost is great for events and high level mobs.

The new stable update has come this week and most of us are quite pleased with the ability to add 10 health to our avatars for 1 week at the price of just 5 PED. I am not sure whether I am being biased in thinking that the price seems to be a major flaw based upon the current cost to chip in 10 health for most players. Given the cost of chipping, vampiric cloaks for health, and mindforce chip benefits, I don't think that the amount of health should be so high for such a cheap cost. Even as a player who loves having more health, I just don't see how it makes good business sense. 5 PED to stable owners means that their stables will take ages to pay back, even if more functionality comes in the future. For such a high boost of 10 hp, I'd think that 75-200 PED would be more reasonable for 1 week. Hell, I'd probably pay 1-2k during contests.

The Vampiric Cloak of life gives 12 hp and cost most owners between 11-20k to purchase. Chipping in at my level would cost at least 15k for 10 hp. Sure, at lower levels I could see them doing a cheaper price (ie. 90 hp avatar gaining 10 hp for 30 PED).

What do you guys think? A change wouldn't make most of us happy but for the overall well being of the rest of the game's systems, I think it is for the best.

Hell no.:lolup: not all of us are rich like you to be able to spend so much in a game - just because it cost so much for you to chip in 10 hp doesn't mean the rest of the playerbase should suffer. Besides you can still have 20 extra hp if you couple it with vitality cloak.

I think, for the older players the ones that can spend $1000ks on items and skills, the ones spending years building their avatars, they will hate this.

For the majority of the player base this is welcome, I can pay 5ped and it will help me in my hunts.

This is the first affordable, real beneficial thing introduced.... Ever?

EU is becoming more affordable for me personally, with the falling in prices of most UL items. This is just another addition.

I see this as expanding with the new player base.

Now just give us more mining tools!!!!!!

Last edited:
It is true to say that it makes the game more affordable. I've long since thought this game should cost a lot less for everyone to play as to increase players. That being said, it also can eventually lead to none of the prizes in contests having value.

It is true to say that it makes the game more affordable. I've long since thought this game should cost a lot less for everyone to play as to increase players. That being said, it also can eventually lead to none of the prizes in contests having value.

Everything drops in value within time. This is the lifespan of items in a RCE game. As new and better items gets introduced the old and rusty ones drop in value. One needs to adapt before this happens to prevent losses in investments.

I think MA are doing something right for a change. By making the game more affordable it will increase the player retention rate and thus improving the economy for the long-term.

As long as they keep introducing new stuff there will always be a demand and thus will have value.

I think the current pet buffs are just a small intro use for the stables.... no real reason to think they will be the owners' only source for getting the investment paid back.

With the cost being low it entourages people to get into the habit of using it... every week. It also implies that every one who would have a use for it will use it, which is kinda the same as giving an across the board 10 HP bump. You (Star) will still have 200(?) HP more than me, so not really a comparative difference, people with more HP will still have that advantage. At 26 USD per year, per player, that's a nice bit of money MA will be making. That does not include the passive use of nutrio bars. I don't know how it would compare to higher costs with fewer uses, but huge profits are usually easier to make by scaling small marginal profits to a huge population than focusing on (fleecing) a few people for large amounts.

The problem I see is if it does not stack with other buffs - or there are not better pet buffs coming later - that would royally screw the players that paid 10-20K for the cloaks. That would suck. Assuming buffs won't stack: Since it seems you can only have one Pet buff active at a time the cloak's purchase price could be thought of as getting to choose any of the Pets' Buffs for free a secondary buff when the 10 hp buff would have been chosen instead. Still, I think it would be best if the buffs could stack.

It is so affordable these days that they add 5000$ SB for red ships.
I guess they aren't there yet.

Problem for the stables is that the prices where based on "nothing" but trust in MA based on how they add systems in the past. When I saw the information, I was immediately convinced NOT to buy or to invest as there was not enough clarity given.

Would you buy shared of a new company X, if you don't know what company it is .. just trusting that it is part of company Y from which you know they are mainly after your money ?

I love MA and this game, but I'm trying to stay away from emotional decisions and jump on every wagon they present as the new Ferrari for income.

Atami

As its a option to everyone it basically just increase the player base hp with 10, when situation requires. I dont see that this has to affect the rest of the market at all really. However, 5 ped, thats cheap. So cheap many might do it even though its non event going on.

First thing i checked on cyrene was the ability to lower the price, I feel 5 peds is more then enough. Especially considering your pet will get hungry while you are hunting, so there is the additional costs of the nutrio bars.

5 Ped / week gives it mass market appeal. You might pay 1000 Ped for a week but for the 99% that would be a crazy price to pay for 10 HP.

Just add that +2% crit rate increase buff on pets with cost 5ped/week too and i am sure 95% of players will be happy ;).

@topic: yes it is overpowered ;).

Falagor
:bandit:

Level II Buffs will be coming soon = Level 10 pet required - 20 HP for 50 Peds
Level III = Level 15 pet - 30 HP for 500 Peds

etc.

After that: increased mob damage VU.

There's money to be made for MindArk that is. They can get quite some $$$ from this - smaller micro transactions - "subscription" similarities although without the forced part. Although if the offer is good enough they won't have to force it down your throat though. :laugh:

Boosts for everyone ! :ahh:

For the Price range star suggest only übers and semi übers would purchase the buff on events. 10 more hp can mean the whole world for a new Player and for that Price he can afford them. I think the buffs will become popular and the Revenue will stack up. Thats only the beginning, i think mindark have more in line for stable owners.

Like almost any investing oportunity inside EU stables too are dependant of the user base growth within the next years to become a good Investment. Lets cross fingers and hope it happens :)

This is great news i welcome the change! Anyone who paid the 15k for the cloak is a fool.

Without offers like this, taming would remain a short lived fad and be forgotten soon. Most people didn't bother to have a pet, even less - to skill it up. Now it has changed.

And I'm sure that many get this buff not because they need these 10 hp, but because at this price it's hard to resist. Make it less hp or more expensive and interest will fade.

I never hunt stuff that I need to fap during hunting, only after I killed a mob. If I need to fap to stay alive, I stay away from the mob. So for my hunting style.. even 5 ped seems too much. (because I don't need 10 extra hp)

Without offers like this, taming would remain a short lived fad and be forgotten soon. Most people didn't bother to have a pet, even less - to skill it up. Now it has changed.

And I'm sure that many get this buff not because they need these 10 hp, but because at this price it's hard to resist. Make it less hp or more expensive and interest will fade.

The 10hp boost answers once and for all the "Taming is Useless" argument. 5 Ped per week to take me from 209 to 219hp? Why wouldn't I?

(Now where's my whip?) :whip:

PS: I quote people I agree with sometimes Svarog ;-)

Firstly, I'll preface this by saying that I don't own a huge share of the Port Atlantis stable. I don't stand to profit a ton more by there being a change in this system. I benefit as much or more than the rest of you as I'm at very high avatar health ingame and an addition of 10 health for almost no cost is great for events and high level mobs.

The new stable update has come this week and most of us are quite pleased with the ability to add 10 health to our avatars for 1 week at the price of just 5 PED. I am not sure whether I am being biased in thinking that the price seems to be a major flaw based upon the current cost to chip in 10 health for most players. Given the cost of chipping, vampiric cloaks for health, and mindforce chip benefits, I don't think that the amount of health should be so high for such a cheap cost. Even as a player who loves having more health, I just don't see how it makes good business sense. 5 PED to stable owners means that their stables will take ages to pay back, even if more functionality comes in the future. For such a high boost of 10 hp, I'd think that 75-200 PED would be more reasonable for 1 week. Hell, I'd probably pay 1-2k during contests.

The Vampiric Cloak of life gives 12 hp and cost most owners between 11-20k to purchase. Chipping in at my level would cost at least 15k for 10 hp. Sure, at lower levels I could see them doing a cheaper price (ie. 90 hp avatar gaining 10 hp for 30 PED).

What do you guys think? A change wouldn't make most of us happy but for the overall well being of the rest of the game's systems, I think it is for the best.

Yes 5 ped is quite cheap but with this price it will reach out to every player out there in EU, and it won't be a loss for people hunting less then full time hunters, paying a few hundred ped for a weeks buff while only going for a few hunts makes no sense to me, hence the low costs i bet.

I do think this is stage I of this release, costs will rise as u get more exclusive buffs, wait and see i guess.

I think it's good for the overall game economy.
Many of us were already fucked by balancing iissues which makes our gear worth less than it was due to release of new items. If pet buff + cloak is cumulative, the few one who have a cloak of life aren't fucked. If not, well welcome to EU.
It's good for at least three connected things
- give a whole new purpose to pets. ( taming stage 1.0.2)
- enmatter mining (sweetstuff) will be popular
- nutrio consumption involve fruit find for new players, helping retention on a small size.

Higher price of buff will concern only for 25 players, let's say 1% of current 2500 'active' player base.
Existing price can concern 90% of a growing player base.

Yes i may sound optimistic but last VU pet feature was an add and not a nerf so nice from MA .

I don't like the concept of "pay Mindark peds for a buff". The crafting economy needs a buff. If those items are going to be so popular, they should be craftable pills.

You can make a lot off of a few people or a little bit off of a whole bunch of people.

Usually making a little bit off of a whole bunch of people works out to be a much higher number

the cost of buffs is fine... for pets... actually it'd be cool if they could make those stable pet buffs work on your avatar too if you avatar is using one of the items to turn in to a mob temporarily, for while in mob form...

now what about for avatars going on those quests with those uber buffed pets?...

How about utilizing some of that beer, h20, soda, food and other similar stuff for avatar buffs? Served at - you guessed it - bars... created at - you guessed it - factories... (the next two big end of year sales for the next two years potentially - hint, hint...). Need a longer lasting buff - use the cybernetics wing of a hospital (sold off after those factories and bars...) in which you can get permanent buffs when the doctor profession there (skilled up body sculptors that meet minimum skill requirement for the positions available in the hospital) fix you up.

Could even go crazy with it storywise and introduce different mutant factions you can join by getting your avatar implanted with various mobs dna by either the smuggler chop shops or legitimate hospitals... do you join professor barton's grandson's (professor X?) institute to train mutants in use of their mindforce abilities to stop crimes and integrate human society with mutant freak society or do you join the evil brotherhood of mutants or some other faction... because mutants are homo-superior... must conquer all of the planets in entropia with your faction, and eventually take over earth too when you get there in a few years through instances similar to the beacons... and down the road when someone 'owns' all of the places like the mars colony as they are new Lands your avatars can actually own as new servers for them go online.

Last edited:
Pet buffs are nice ....
Few hours of walking for a noob to find fruits (if is lucky 1k-2k daily largest amount for me was @470 papplon ) .Current price is 5 ped or 6 ped for 1k fruits...so a noob with 2k fruits has enough ped to buy himself a weapon from TT and some ammo...Now compare with sweating ...1h for 500-600 bottles you will need almost 10h to make 6k sweat ...alot of time trying to sell the sweat...does not worth doing anymore these not even afking...

We dont know if pets can be spawned in event instaces?

I actually tested this the first day and spawned my Snable with an HP buff in a Halloween Instance that is still in game. Now just waiting to see if he'll also work in Merry Mayhem when they are put in game.

I wonder why we all have to pay for different nonsense (ie overpayment made someone in the past). Fortunately, МА opinion differs from the opinion of OP. And although I absolutely do not need pets and these 10 HP (because I stop my hunting activity), I agree that the price of 5 ped quite fair.

Back