how to increase focus on pet

Ace Flyster

Marauder
Dave Ace Flyster
As the title says, apart from doing tricks which increases focus really slowly. Is there any other way to increase focus?

Rgds

Ace

As the title says, apart from doing tricks which increases focus really slowly. Is there any other way to increase focus?

Rgds

Ace

Doing tricks reduces focus. The only way to increase it that I'm aware of is time.

PS Doing tricks when focus is low wastes nutrio (gives less optimal experience gain).

focus is regained very slowly when in inventory and a bit faster when spawned :) nothing else that i know of influences it

kk so spawn the little critter, wait for 100% focus and do tricks.

Any difference in xp with 99% focus and 100% focus?

Or for that matter, how low can i let focus go, and still get the maximum xp?

Rgds

Ace

The more focus the better they say, but who cares it's not big difference.

I just do one trick, wait for it to go up again and do a new one.

99% or 100% focus do trick at least 2 levels below current level, seems to work ok, most eco trick is dance in my testing but at higher levels takes longer to gain xp.

lower then 90% focus leads to noticeable nutrio bar consumption, do tricks in the 90%'s, below that stop doing tricks.

make sure you have high affection and high mood to gain max xp when doing tricks.

make sure pet is at least 33% fed before doing tricks for max xp when doing tricks. Below that he starts to get moody and then starts to loose affection.

just a few things I picked up when training pets so far.

Bonus tip: The animal brush at 154% MU will cost 2.88 PED in useage to bring affection to 100% so you can start to gain max xp with tricks faster after capturing a new pet. Alternative is wait a few hours with them spawned before doing tricks to get max xp progression. I have not tested out the advanced animal brush yet still not high enough level to use it.

Last edited:
You should check out tamlin's threads on the subject. Both he and I have tested things extensively. Cheapest trick for xp gained per pec is dance. To regain focus simply wait. If the pet is out you get one tick of focus gain every 30 seconds (note the focus is exponential so you might not see it at high focus but it will be going up) at the same time you also get a small xp gain and a small nutrio cost. If the pet doesn't have full affection or mood as long as food is above 30% both of those will tick up as well.

The xp gain is better to be seen via the xp points in the info, not the xp percent bar as each level requires more xp points than the previous one. Once again tamlin has more info on that in his threads.

With the bristlehogs brushing for affection is more expensive than waiting for the affection to rise and taking the xp hit for a bit. Not sure with larger mobs yet, you'd have to ask tamlin that one.

Back