ATTENTION! Private messages are NOT private!

Society
Apocalyptic
Whining Skeptic Aboard
So,

DDos, blbla, broken chats. I figured this was important to share, so created an own thread for it:

Your PMs are NOT private. I tried PMing a player on my FL, double checked, and PM went to someone else on my FL.

Take it easy with the trashtalk until all this is resolved....

This has existed for about 2-3 months now.

Always Look before hitting Enter!

My guess is simply that the appearance on FL is "dynamic"/live; let's say you're about to click on someone, but when you hold the mouse over and you're abot to click, someone who's sorted above logs in, and pushes the list down a step. Or someone above logs out.

It's the same thing with websites that keeps on moving around content after page is loaded, so you end up clicking on somethign different than you intended.

Another thing (today), someone said he got chat from channels he wasn't in in his chat.log-file (probably due to the lag-related problems).

My guess is simply that the appearance on FL is "dynamic"/live; let's say you're about to click on someone, but when you hold the mouse over and you're abot to click, someone who's sorted above logs in, and pushes the list down a step. Or someone above logs out.

It's the same thing with websites that keeps on moving around content after page is loaded, so you end up clicking on somethign different than you intended.

Another thing (today), someone said he got chat from channels he wasn't in in his chat.log-file (probably due to the lag-related problems).

Thing is, I am 100% certain that the new chat window had the other guys name.

Your PMs are NOT private. I tried PMing a player on my FL, double checked, and PM went to someone else on my FL.

Take it easy with the trashtalk until all this is resolved....

Why would you wonna trashtalk someone who is on your FL :scratch2:

Attention all on this Guys FL he might trashtalk you :silly2:

Why would you wonna trashtalk someone who is on your FL :scratch2:

Attention all on this Guys FL he might trashtalk you :silly2:

:D

No but honestly, there are female players among us.

This has been happening especially when the game is lagged. You think u are clicking on the correct persons name but it actually opens up a previously opened chat pm. If u leave the Fl window open with the name expanded for 30 seconds or so, this problem stops happening. Basically, there seems to be a lag and now since chats are fetched from the server there is some sort of sync issue which causes this.

This has been happening especially when the game is lagged. You think u are clicking on the correct persons name but it actually opens up a previously opened chat pm. If u leave the Fl window open with the name expanded for 30 seconds or so, this problem stops happening. Basically, there seems to be a lag and now since chats are fetched from the server there is some sort of sync issue which causes this.

So its more to do with if you are starting a new chat from fl? and not chatting in a window which is already open?

Don't want to start sending kisses to acquaintances! :laugh:

So its more to do with if you are starting a new chat from fl? and not chatting in a window which is already open?

For me, here is exactly what happened:

- Clicked on what I thought was Snablesnot
- Chat opened, I saw that the recipiant was SoReal
- Closed chat
- Clicked Snabelsnot
- Conversation with Snablesnot opened
- Sent PM
- Recieved a reply from SoReal

I'm certain I had opened the correct window. But if I am the only one experiencing this, then I must be mistaken. As it was completely new to me, and I have used the chat quite a bit, I thought it had something to do with the ongoing chat issues.

Please don't confuse the following concepts:

trashtalk: the kind of stuff usually going around on PCF, which apparently WhiningSeptik has no problem with on forums, but he does have an issue with it if it is in a pm and gone public :)
dirty talk: the kind of stuff you'd do with a small subgroup of people of the gender that you are sexually attracted to
gossip: where you speak with person A about person B, and which would be quite embarrassing if it ended up with person B that you think about this person that way.

[/joke]

Now we got this confusion out of the way: it does indeed suck if your pms end up with someone else. If you pm, it's like being in a room with one person. You can speak more freely than, for instance, in a bar (well, before the third beer). PMs ending up in the wrong place are potentially fatal to the social fabric of our in world experience.

- Closed chat
- Clicked Snabelsnot
- Sent PM

I'm certain I had opened the correct window. But if I am the only one experiencing this, then I must be mistaken. As it was completely new to me, and I have used the chat quite a bit, I thought it had something to do with the ongoing chat issues.

Ah that's not so bad, at the very worst you would have just got a funny reply from Soreal :laugh:

What do you mean Whiningskeptic, that you like my big hootsers and you want to fap to me... I don't understand, you know I'm male right? (manboobs?)

What do you mean Whiningskeptic, that you like my big hootsers and you want to fap to me... I don't understand, you know I'm male right? (manboobs?)

ARgh, again... That PM was for Qster. :hammer:

Is SoReal on your FL?

If so, then-
When you chose an entry from your FL, it sends the index value to the server (which would be standard design) and the server translates it to a player ID. Something probably happened with lag and lost packets so that UI and server went out of sync when someone logged in or out. It is very similar to the bug where you to and end up in the same place or revive in the spot where you died.

If, however, the player is not on your FL, then MA really screwed up something.

If thats the case I hope they never fix it! Hope I get lucky :shower:

- Closed chat
- Clicked Snabelsnot
- Sent PM

Same thing happens when you hunt... say you use auto aim / move to target right? you select mob "A", mob "B" spawns on top of you and you select mob "B", if you hit fire / use tool, you will be attacking mob "A" most of the time. it has been going on for years like that.......

It's not a bug, MA just forces you to step out of your comfort zone and meet new people :D

Back