Question: Nr. of creatures killed / log in session is relevant or just total number killed?

III Dusk MMM

Mature
III Dusk MMM
Hello everyone!
I try to make my way in hunting and usually I get the information on my own reading other posts and using the available information sites and tools. However I didn't manage to find if the hunting sample / log in session is relevant somehow for the average long term return or not. I often saw people saying that you need to cycle enough to kill at least 500 creatures in order to make an idea if a certain run is bad or not and I agree with this, however my question is if there is a difference between killing 500 creatures in a day in a single log in session or killing five times 100 creatures in five different login sessions in the same day? Or in other words, does the system keeps a counter of your killed creature till you log out and then is reset? or the counter is resumed from where you left it when you log in again? The assumption is that both (the 500 at once or the 5 times x 100) are done exactly in the same conditions and in the same place.
I ask this because usually I don't have time to stay and kill 500 creatures so I kill a certain number than log out, come again, kill some more, log out, repeat ... ,
My observation so far is that there is significant gap between the different 100/session kills, but I don't have relevant data to compare 500(made from 5x100) with 500 made from (1x500).
So if anyone has observed this over a longer period and is willing to share this information it will be very helpful for me.
Thank you!
III Dusk MMM

The system doesn't keep a counter, but it doesn't need to. Basically, statistics will make it so that 5 runs of 100 kills will average out to a similar amount as a run of 500.

If you have a 50% chance for something to happen, you're more likely to see a wide difference from 50% if you've only done a small number of attempts. Example, if you flip a coin only once, it's chance of coming up heads will show as either 100% or 0%. But if you did 500 separate attempts at flipping the coin, there is nothing in reality that needs to "keep track" of the individual flips. Your individual returns of 100% and 0% will average out much closer to 50% than each individual run.

The system doesn't keep a counter, but it doesn't need to. Basically, statistics will make it so that 5 runs of 100 kills will average out to a similar amount as a run of 500.

If you have a 50% chance for something to happen, you're more likely to see a wide difference from 50% if you've only done a small number of attempts. Example, if you flip a coin only once, it's chance of coming up heads will show as either 100% or 0%. But if you did 500 separate attempts at flipping the coin, there is nothing in reality that needs to "keep track" of the individual flips. Your individual returns of 100% and 0% will average out much closer to 50% than each individual run.

Indeed, if we consider only statistic it makes sense that 5x100 runs will average out similar to a run of 1x500 and I would be glad if it would be like this. My concern is related more to the Entropia way of balancing average value trough globals and hof's (at least this is what I understood). This is why I thought that playing 5x100 may have different results than playing 1x500 due to the fact that getting a global or a hof may be affected by this different ways of playing.

Indeed, if we consider only statistic it makes sense that 5x100 runs will average out similar to a run of 1x500 and I would be glad if it would be like this. My concern is related more to the Entropia way of balancing average value trough globals and hof's (at least this is what I understood). This is why I thought that playing 5x100 may have different results than playing 1x500 due to the fact that getting a global or a hof may be affected by this different ways of playing.

To answer that, you will have to ask yourself this.

Do you believe that the "loot server" is impartial at all times? Or do you believe that at times, it is generous and at times...it behaves like a scrooge?

If you believe that its impartial at all times, then 5 X 100 = 1 X 500.

If you believe its the second version, then 5 X 100 =/= 1 X 500.

As to which one it really is....only MA knows. Not us. We can only "believe".

Hope it helps ya. ;)

------
Realized that it wasn't enough, so I'm adding this too.
------

I believe its the second version. And so 5 X 100 =/= 1 X 500.

However, to even things out, I instead rely upon splitting the runs into multiple kills over multiple days...over the course of a few weeks to even months.

It sorta avoids spending everything over the bad days when loot server is grumpy, but also misses out on the good patches. Sadly.

That's my approach though. Just FYI.

Last edited:
As Scurvy said, 5 runs of 100 kills should average out roughly the same as 1 run of 500 kills, or 100 runs of 5 kills.

That being said, TT loot value and the types of items that drop do seem to follow a sort of wave pattern, so doing longer runs gives a better chance of the wave evening out. If you do lots of short runs you run the risk of always hitting the "bad" parts of the wave (or the "good" parts of course).

So IMHO doing longer sessions reduces loot volatility to a certain extent, however in the long term, it shouldn't make a difference.

Thank you all for taking the time to share your view!
This seems more complex than I anticipated:scratch2:
I thought it would be more like 3 options like: yes there is only a counter /session, only a total counter or both.
However this is interesting information and I thank you for it. Just that it seems I would need a lot more experience in order to be able to identify good and bad waves and a lot more time in order to cover multiple kills/days/weeks...
Good news is that, as it seems there is a good chance that I will reach 85% to 90% average return in both scenarios in the long run.
At least this is my conclusion so far.

As Scurvy and Artrat stated your best option IMO is also to lengthen your hunts and maybe try 2x250 if you can. I've been noticing lately on atrox that as I go for longer periods my loot seems to come in waves. I can go an hour without a global on a mob but then the next hour hit 5 or 6 swirlies. Now just to figure out the dynamics behind the wave so I can ride just the highs and get out of dodge on the lows. :tongue2:

As Scurvy and Artrat stated your best option IMO is also to lengthen your hunts and maybe try 2x250 if you can. I've been noticing lately on atrox that as I go for longer periods my loot seems to come in waves. I can go an hour without a global on a mob but then the next hour hit 5 or 6 swirlies. Now just to figure out the dynamics behind the wave so I can ride just the highs and get out of dodge on the lows. :tongue2:

This is a great idea. I finshed the 5k longu quest yesterday, 6500 total kills, and I did it in chunks of 250 kill outings, and kept records by averaging two outings (so 500 kills). This was important because globals can come in chunks (2-3 within ~10-40 kills or then 500-700 kills with no globals), so this helps average it all out.

I asked myself[SUP]*[/SUP] the same question and started to experiment on it. I do runs for that experiment now with 10, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 200 and 225 kills. Average is now (10 -> 225): 99,9% 105,6% 91,2% 96,2% 81,3% 114,8% 96,7% 94,2%. I have gotten mini-globals on the 10 KpH-runs. A 10 KpH-run costs ~8,73 PED so that's an instant profit.
My conclusion so far (halfway to what I planned to do) is that every loot is individual. Meaning no difference in size and/ or materials looted.
You can read more on ArkadiaForum.

[SUP]*[/SUP] Actually, when you post a log on forum, there is a centainty that someone sooner or later comes in to say "You need to do bigger runs!" I try to disprove them with evidence they wich they are not likely to recognize.

OK.
Understood that lengthen the runs may give a chance to catch different waves which may be a good thing.
I was more concerned about the possibility to have a counter and due to this to have penalty for lower runs. My understanding so far is that this is not true and in long term let's say 10 000 creatures the returns are almost the same (both scenarios).
Is good to know about waves, but understanding them seems to be a very tricky business.
I think that if I could understand their occurrences and length I will have a great success:)

I asked myself[SUP]*[/SUP] the same question and started to experiment on it. I do runs for that experiment now with 10, 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, 200 and 225 kills. Average is now (10 -> 225): 99,9% 105,6% 91,2% 96,2% 81,3% 114,8% 96,7% 94,2%. I have gotten mini-globals on the 10 KpH-runs. A 10 KpH-run costs ~8,73 PED so that's an instant profit.
My conclusion so far (halfway to what I planned to do) is that every loot is individual. Meaning no difference in size and/ or materials looted.
You can read more on ArkadiaForum.

[SUP]*[/SUP] Actually, when you post a log on forum, there is a centainty that someone sooner or later comes in to say "You need to do bigger runs!" I try to disprove them with evidence they wich they are not likely to recognize.

I'm glad to see someone else asked the same question and more than that started to test it.
Thank you for the link!
I visited the Arkadia forum to see the post.
If what you are saying is true this sounds very good for me. I really hope it is.
I wish you to have the patience and time required to finish this test and I would be interested to see the final results of this runs.

Back