What's the deal with scopes?

Scurvy Sityl

Stalker
Society
Calypso Rescue Team
Scurvy Sityl LaRoux
How is scope decay determined? Equipping/unequipping? Each shot (or every x shots)? Each zoom in? Each time you swap to a different gun?

What exact benefit is provided? I know they are said to increase hit chance at long range. Is there a higher than normal miss chance at full range than at close range, and the scope brings long range hit chance up to normal, or does the scope increase hit chance at range to higher than normal %?

Does it have 0 effect at melee range? Does it decay when the weapon is fired at melee range?

I've been noticing a much higher miss chance at long range (no scope), but not sure if this is anecdotal or something that actually happens.

I also have no way of knowing of attaching a scope (or for that matter, WHICH scope) would increase economy on pull weapon.

There are many old long discussions on the topic found when searching for answers on this site, but I don't see any definitive answers, just confusing statements from MA about what it DOESN'T do.

Scope decays every shot.

dunno about the hit increase, none that i know of

scopes and lasers mostly decrease eco, cause they generally dont do anything except for giving you extra skills and extra cost per shot there are some scopes and lasers that give extra crit % and crit damage but they are very expensive

Oh and also they make your guns look cooler! This and the extra skills is why i use them :D'

Stina

Scope decays every shot.

dunno about the hit increase, none that i know of

scopes and lasers mostly decrease eco, cause they generally dont do anything except for giving you extra skills and extra cost per shot there are some scopes and lasers that give extra crit % and crit damage but they are very expensive

Oh and also they make your guns look cooler! This and the extra skills is why i use them :D'

Stina

If I recall properly... they gave more skills yes. But it was still cheaper to buy skills instead...
But ofcourse good for using on a tagging weapon etc.

I did some limited testing which seemed to indicate that they had an effect on your Hitrate with non-maxed weapons. I think the info is in my mission thread if you want to go searching for it.

Tests were done using oldschool sights and lasers and DOALM at profession levcel ~20. Was by no means conclusive but was enough to convince me that they do have SOME effect, not enough to offset the eco-loss of using an unmaxed weapon though. The only situation where I think they would really be useful is if you were maxed on damage but not on hit.

That being said, I still use the occaisionally even on maxed L weapons, I do seem to get more skills with vs without.

Back