Groups

Society
Apocalyptic
Whining Skeptic Aboard
Could we have groups in our friendlists please?

I would like to sort my contacts into various groups, such as traders, socmates, wof team, ToS and so on and so forth. Now it is just a looooooong list. :scratch2:

edit their name and add (H) (T) (whatever) to the front :thumbup:

Single symbols as a prefix for grouping is just as effective & easier to see (and let you prioritise more easily too)

So, this is the legend for some of my FL symbols:

*** people I want to contact as soon as they come online
*$ people I owe ped to, or am owed ped by (like from a wof hunt)
[NOTE: don't use $ as the first symbol in a name!]
! disciple
. soc member
.. soc senior (leader/advisor or equiv)
@ Australian players
/ important non-soc friends
\ important non-soc acquaintances
^ pilots
~ former passengers (from when I was piloting)

They can be used in combination too, which can be handy :wise:

NOTE: don't use $ as the first symbol in a name!
Could you elaborate? Some kind of bug making the client or even the system crash? (no, I won't try it out myself ;))

Another trick to organize within groups is to prefix the name with a digit, to sort in non-alphabetical order. This can be useful in other instances too, such as filesystem shortcuts (e.g. start menu entries).

Could you elaborate? Some kind of bug making the client or even the system crash? (no, I won't try it out myself ;))

Another trick to organize within groups is to prefix the name with a digit, to sort in non-alphabetical order. This can be useful in other instances too, such as filesystem shortcuts (e.g. start menu entries).

It deletes the whole name, iirc. Not ingame at the moment to check.
Feel free to give it a try if you are, and report back :)

It deletes the whole name, iirc. Not ingame at the moment to check.
Feel free to give it a try if you are, and report back :)
Ouch, pretty bad bug then!

While this one feels great appreciation for the suggestion, this one still has too much computational resources allocated to self preservation. With my luck it'd clean out the whole FL. :)

'easier to see' is pretty subjective...

to each their own, I say

'easier to see' is pretty subjective...

to each their own, I say

Agreed.
I just find using only an alpha character - eg (S) for socmate, (P) for pilot, (T) for trader - to be less flexible, as things end up just in alpha order with no indication of priority, so offered my own usage.

Whereas ! in front of the name puts it right at the top - well just under *** anyway - and I like to see right away if a disciple is online, rather than scrolling down or paging thru a list arranged only in alpha order.

I started using these symbols back when the FL was restricted to 50 players - and prioritisation helped stopped deleting someone by mistake when trying to make a space for a new contact - that I don't have to consciously think of what they mean. And most are self-mnemonic, at least for me.

Back