EVE Online player loses 7 years of subscription in space battle - Geek

News Bot

Guardian
Last edited by a moderator:
sigh bla bla bla

$1500 loss...is that all? Many EU grinders lose $1500 a week

Ya! Join EU and you can loose that much in a more efficient manner!!!
1500... chump change!

They've had some mind blowing huge losses over the last year or two, yet the market stays somewhat stable. Ore prices should be soaring, but remain relatively flat or have dropped. Somethings broke in the economy and they won't admit it. It's not a player run economy, it's a player controlled economy, and those who play it know who those few who control it are.

Like any other economy in world virtual or real

i think their using this post to justify our losses by saying hey guys no big deal look someone else lost elsewhere....he probably lost $1500 within many years by maybe a silly mistake...here you can loose $1500 without any mistakes and within minutes...

In before the lock :yay:

we're not allowed to talk about other games on this forum...

Yes, if these stupid rules apply to us readers than most certainly for this newsbot. Ban the bot for a week!

Are they trying to promote Eve? Is someone asleep at the wheel again?

I was reading more about this elsewhere... This or another battle consisted of thousands of players all on the same server for like 20+ hours. To handle that Eve uses what they call "Time Dilation" and the way that works in their game is when a server becomes over crowded beyond capacity, as was the case for this battle, the entire game play slows down for all of the people on that server. Doing that allows the server to keep up with everything. For the big battle in the article that I read, time in-game was running at 1/10th speed if I remember what I read correctly. Anyway...

Using random numbers for an easy example:

Let's say a server can handle 200 players maximum before it's over crowded and problems start. Well let's say there are 400 people there, double it's maximum capacity... For all of the people on that server, the game will start running at 1/2 speed. That allows the server to keep up and the players can continue with uninterrupted game play.

It would be interesting if this could in some way be used in EU.

Last edited:
EVE is a strategy game, so it isn't a big deal. EU is more of a FPS. I think the adrenaline junkies would definitely complain if it dropped too much. However, I'd prefer a small slowdown to all of the participants in all of these events/migrations/invasions/etc than to have some people saddled with insane lag while others see virtually none.

So, I'm with you as long as the slowdown is no more than maybe 25% and applied to everyone.

If this time dilation helps those with high reload speed weapons then I'd be for it.

EVE is a strategy game, so it isn't a big deal. EU is more of a FPS.

I suppose it depends on how you play, but when it comes to the standard three professions, I think EU is partially a strategy game, but also based on taking calculated risks.

This or another battle consisted of thousands of players all on the same server for like 20+ hours. To handle that Eve uses what they call "Time Dilation" and the way that works in their game is when a server becomes over crowded beyond capacity, as was the case for this battle, the entire game play slows down for all of the people on that server. Doing that allows the server to keep up with everything. For the big battle in the article that I read, time in-game was running at 1/10th speed if I remember what I read correctly. Anyway...

I don't get this part about how the time dilation works...

Does this mean that the thousands of people sit in front of their computers for the entire 20+ hours of the fight? Or do they leave their commands and log off...or is everything on autopilot?

Pretty much won't fit EU's framework I reckon.

The article mentions EU, so I imagine it's allowed :laugh:

I was reading more about this elsewhere... This or another battle consisted of thousands of players all on the same server for like 20+ hours. To handle that Eve uses what they call "Time Dilation" and the way that works in their game is when a server becomes over crowded beyond capacity, as was the case for this battle, the entire game play slows down for all of the people on that server. Doing that allows the server to keep up with everything. For the big battle in the article that I read, time in-game was running at 1/10th speed if I remember what I read correctly. Anyway...

Using random numbers for an easy example:

Let's say a server can handle 200 players maximum before it's over crowded and problems start. Well let's say there are 400 people there, double it's maximum capacity... For all of the people on that server, the game will start running at 1/2 speed. That allows the server to keep up and the players can continue with uninterrupted game play.

It would be interesting if this could in some way be used in EU.

Yes it would, it would help handle the unfairness in PVP with ping times. I have mentioned this before this is one issue MA needs to fix in PVP to make it more fair, having PVP lootable and not addressing this immediately and the game being RCE is beyond me.

I have tested this in many PVP areas with people that have low ping compared to mine, usually before I even have a radar dot or even see the avatar and I shoot at them when they appear I am already registered as dead and my shots are invalid damage against them, by this I mean none of my shots damaged him but he killed me. The need to balance the ping latency of players in PVP area so everyone has the same advantage and "Time Dialation" is one approach, other FPS games use other strategies. Yes both of us were in safe mode ping times do matter, and playing in safe mode sucks having to play in safe mode should not be a strategic option, MA should force a higher setting so terrain can't be eliminated as obsticles.

From what I read about Eve events, the epic battles involves over 2000 players, with ships and 3D movement and such...

In EU, the biggest I saw were robot invasions or Arkadia oratan invasions... 200 green dots tops? and lagging as hell.

The catch of this feed, for me, is not that a player lost a virtual 1500$, but the looter got zilch. How about implement that in EU space too - the pirates can have a random loot, including no looters or a fraction of loot.

Bwahahahahahahahahah!

EVE Online player loses 7 years of subscription in space battle - Geek

Yay, another game for us to try.
Thank you Berta I didnt know this game, lattely you keep giving us names of cool game to try.
Since your post last week I already created a Second Life account

Thanks

Coyote Wisdom: Calculated Risks, time and energy and loss.. (or blah)

Well if I might be bold and blunt here, I'm going to weigh in on this matter, as it seems a lot of people tend to forget a few things...

Things like:

They've had some mind blowing huge losses over the last year or two, yet the market stays somewhat stable. Ore prices should be soaring, but remain relatively flat or have dropped. Somethings broke in the economy and they won't admit it. It's not a player run economy, it's a player controlled economy, and those who play it know who those few who control it are.

Now granted the real reason that the EVE Eocnomy is so stable is that a lot of the players agree on the prices set and that they tend to keep the market stable. And that's where the similarity ends... for when you look at EU, the entire market here is unstable and again I must point out that the issue again is the players in game.

I mean let's be honest, when you see a person buying animal hide that is currently now at 109% when in reality they're buying it at 101%, what does this tell you about the player? It tells you that he's out to try and make 8% profit on a very generic item. I've seen items that would go for maybe 108 or 109% going for as much as 600%, and in fact the question is why? Again go look at yourselves in the mirror, point yourfinger at yourselves and blame yourselves for this issue. It's agai about the ghreed in EU.

Now as for Even, this guy did something that someone mentioend and in fact here's the tale of that mess:

I suppose it depends on how you play, but when it comes to the standard three professions, I think EU is partially a strategy game, but also based on taking calculated risks.

Nowte what is being said here.. Calculated Risks.. And in fact that's what they do in even a lot. Now what's the difference here? Well let's take a look at everyone's favorite topic, namely space in EU. and before you start blowing the whole subject off, stop and think.(If you have half a brain.) Most pilots that go through space fly through space on a diaily basis, trying to move people (and most notably "Goods" (Read as stackables0 through space, and what do we here in EU hear the most? How person (Insert the name of your favorite avatar who is uber), complain about how they lost (Insert amount0 Dollars, in space. Well. the reality is this.. It's all calculated risks if you are going to move goods through any PVP zone. And in fact Entropia Universe reinforces this fact, by making our space 98 to 99% lootable for stackables.

Now take a look at EVE. The end result is that this guy took a calcuated risk and in fact just like any of our players the end result is taht his gamble was a loss. But here's the difference once again.

While you hear a lot of stories of how much EU players lose X Amount of cash, and this isn't just 1 or 2 isolated cases, it comes out that everyone complains about the loot here in EU. I mean go back over the last 6 years and look at the forums , and actually count the number of complaints about how someone lost a valuable rifle on a scam, or a bunch of loot i space.. We're not talking just 1 or 2 isolated cases, but instead a few hundred.. (And if you try to deny that go back and start looking at the threads.. You'll be surprised to learn that EVE players don't complain that much and EU Players complain a lot.

So then who's the biggest whiners in the MMO Universes? The EU Players of course. we complain on a cale that is maybe 50 to 100 times more than any EVE Player.. and EVE is much like EU in the fact that they have a market (which is more stable than ours) and the fact that they tend to have it wehre players don't tend to complain as much (I shudder to think what it will be like when another MMO hits the airwaves and people flock to that one..(And by flock, I mean we're all acting like seagulls rather than people or maybe we're sheeple"..

But going on This dapper fellow has it right on in spades.. Kind of...

From what I read about Eve events, the epic battles involves over 2000 players, with ships and 3D movement and such...

In EU, the biggest I saw were robot invasions or Arkadia oratan invasions... 200 green dots tops? and lagging as hell.

The catch of this feed, for me, is not that a player lost a virtual 1500$, but the looter got zilch. How about implement that in EU space too - the pirates can have a random loot, including no looters or a fraction of loot.

Bwahahahahahahahahah!

The real issue is not only the lag due to the events but the totally wasted Bandwidth of people just standing around looking at the auction houses for best buys.. There's where the problem begins..

Go to any major point in any major city in EU (LIke Twin Peaks on Calypso or Celeste Quarry on Arkadia) and actually see how many people are moving, and how many are just standing around. And you'll be surprised that about 10 times as many players stand around and most notably around the crafting machines and the Auction House terminals, and what are they doing? Absolutely nothing. Does anyone know why we have that new notificaiton system in our social interface? It's there because it notifies us the seller that the products we place up on the market, are being sold. But I've noted a lot of times that a lot of items on the EU markets go unsold. The question is.. Why?

The answer my friends might not surprise you.. or maybe it does..

The reality of all this is that it's the players who are controlling, no not controlling, but manipulating the market that exists here, and in fact you can tell that a lot of players tend to over markup prices for common materials on items (Like Ospra on Arkadia), yet they tend to make other items totally worthless.

And let's not forget the sweat prices my dear friends, oh no..

I mean we've all heard tha tsome folks are selling sweat at 1.8-1.9 ped a K, while others ar buying for the same, and yet there are others who are bying 10K of sweat for 3 ped a K. why?

Well over on arkadia there's a passport mission, and they require you to get 10K of sweat. Now I've callculated this out and it boils down to over 33 hours 20 minutes of work (10000 bottles / 300 bottles per hou or 33.3333(Repeating) )

now let's be honest, does any uber or mid level player want to sit and waste about a weeks worth of work days just sweating 10K bottles/ Of course not (and some newer players are more clever by accquiring the bottles for a smaller price of 1.8-1.9 ped a k. Yet the reality is that these people are just wanting to be part of a clique of people who are just out to get their passport on arkadia. Imagine if every planet had this mission, and imagine how much sweat you'd need. The total time 2 man weeks to get this done for all 6 planets (I don't count Monria as a planet..)

But the point is this.. People are lazy.. they want stuff for nothing and want to sell it at a higher price (Buy low sell high if the market statement says it right). many people in RL put in a 40 hour work week, and then they come home and what do they not want to do? Spend another 30-40 hours behind a computer terminal just trying to get a virutal item that is worth nothing really..

(Shows where are priorities are..)

But in closing I say this.. The differences between EU and EVE are different yet the same. The issue of lag exists, and for MA's problem the issue is that it deals with what K-max states.. Ping times.

After all the Internet today isn't created equal. Nor the world for that matter. While most first world and highly evolved countries (The United Sttes, Canada, China, etc) have great internet (and thus the lower ping times0 the rest of the world (Costa Rica, and India for example) don't have as good as a ping time as the rest of us. Even the ping times in different European countries are a wide swing.. and it's that ping time that makes the lag.. and if everyone had to go to a certain level of settings in order to enjoy this game, then they would have to deal with the issue of getting a top notch computer, and this is where the issue lies.. It's all based on how much a person can afford to get a computer built to handle these games.

To me, losing $1500 USD in one calculate risky move is one thing, but that's where EVE and EU differe agian. caus again we players i EU do this on a daily baiis, and a lot of players who wanted the new "Transport costs" fearure got it, yet they don't want to pay the additional costs..

In short, Laziness abounds in EU.. Stand around the terminal all day looking for the best deals, lazy. Acquiring 10 K of sweat without getting your evade up by paying the decay? Lasy. Moving goods through space (And then over pricing it in hopes to get more money for taking that risk? Lazy and stupid..

In short, in EU , the game should be about how to play the game smarter and not harder.. and right now, from where i stand, a lot of players play harder and not smarter.. and that's why they're losing the cash.. Cause it's like banging your head against a wall, eventually you'll get it blooded enough to make you realize how banging your head up against a wall its.. It's just plain stupid..

So yeah what am I saying here/ People ar epeople and people are stupid.. when you boid this around and down to the base, people are stupid lazie and not as intelligent as it seems.

So in the end, You complain about loss, Like I said, go look in the bathroom mirror. Point that finger at the guy in the mirror, and say "I blame you." You'll be glad to do this and keep doing it on a daily baiss.

As for me? I Get up and do this one a daily basis. Sure I beat myself up over every mistake I made but some people live in the denial of this and they in the end, Their denial of their risks eventually ends up like this poor chap in EVE. But we do it on a faster scale then EVE Ever does or ever will

Oh and to the guy that said this:

sigh bla bla bla

I have this to say.: blah, blah blah, blah blah blahing blah blah. Blah blah blah's blah blah... blah blah. blah blah blah blah blah, blah alsh blah blahiig blah's blah. Blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahs blah blah blan blah blan blan, okay?

Translation: Read this post, and start talking complete sentences.. Cause your comment is lazy.. and stupid.. people are this way and you're not helping humnity's case. Enough said.

Or at least talk in coherent coherent sentences rather than a foreign language , okay?

Gotcha.. (Blah)

Now if you'll excuse me I got to go get an eye check up.. after all this whole thread is giving me too much of an eye strain headache..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Space Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The blind sniper"

In short answer both economy are control by devs
Deal with

Look at redulite - MA increase supply and price crash
and MA can do with everything behind scenes

Show us the spreadsheets.

In short answer both economy are control by devs
Deal with

Look at redulite - MA increase supply and price crash
and MA can do with everything behind scenes

That's very true, but I must add that if MA does it so does CCP with Eve ONline

According to my sources, the reality of this is that CCP actually gets economists into the actual game to help develop said market, and this is why EVE is so stable. Conversely, with Mindark, there are no economists that actually control this and in fact it's the players who are the actual economists in the game,.

And from the current state of affairs. we are definitely not economists. (And people wonder why those items they put up on auction DON'tT sell? It's because when you are in a game (even a RCE one), the objective here is to make sales by being competitive. But the problem players have in EU is that they can not actually make sales because their own inner greed gets the better of them and then they tend to over price4 items in which case no one buys at all. thus they lose the sale, they lose the auction fee, and the next time they do the same stupid mistake over again and force another no sale.

After about 5 to 6 of these thy do become desperate, and in the end they just tooss it in the Trade Terminal just so that they can play, or they do the more logical thought.. They Deposit, and continue.

The point is this.. With EVE, losing 1500 dollars over a 7 year investment period of acquring Pilot License Extensions (Or the afforementioned PLEX in the story, is really a pittance compared to the so called Money that people invest into EU. Soand the so called claims that people make about how they lose that same amount in a week..

So I throw out a challenge to those "Braggarts" to "Show me the actual spreadsheets of what they do i any given week, and show me their net profit and loss for said week. and to prove they are right.

I mean sure, you say you lost 1500 USD in a week, but can you actually prove it?

It seems that the only ones who show their spreadsheets are the ones who actually are the ones who make money not lose it..

(So to paraphrase a famous movie line.."Show me the spreadsheet.")

Oh and this wasn't the biggest loss in EVE By the way, I found one that was 3 times larger and involved a total loss of about 222 billion ISK, or aobut the price of an Equus Quad.

And here's the proof.

Enough said.

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Pilot Callsign "Coyote)
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (And His_Dog_Spot)

This could just be me, but when I'm standing around in front of a crafting terminal I'm usually crafting...

EvE is not a real cash economy thus its a waste of time IMO. I played for 3 years had some fun, learned to trade, got bored....no point in making money if you can't withdraw it. Saving subs just means people can play for free.

If EvE were a RCE it would be a very different game.

Saying all this, it has its flaws but it's economy is the best in any game i've seen, even if its monopoly money...I just won't waste any more time with it.

RCE maketh the game for me....I'd play any old sh*t if it were an RCE!

Entropia isn't a "Real Cash Economy" either; it's just a marketing term that sounds good to people who don't understand monetary policy. Once you deposit into the game, you are buying "credits" to perform certain functions within the game. MindArk can at any time shut their doors, and legally has the right to pay you nothing. EU is more like a "Fake Cash Economy". Yes, you can cash out, but how many players do this and how long does it take them to receive their check? MindArk deliberately delays payouts until a period hits where the bank is up. The game is obviously designed in such a way that only a very small fraction of players will have the ability to consistently cash out; therefore, not threatening MA's business model. If trends began which did, they can tweak the loot system on certain days/weeks/months, whatever, to adjust for whatever imbalance they see.

PEDs are just as phoney as monopoly money, and there's nothing backing it; no FDIC, no gold, no military, nothing. Those who understand fractional-reserve banking know that the ratio in terms of what is on people's PED cards versus what MA actually has the ability to pay out would be a scary figure, and is probably why no bank ever wanted to back Project Entropia. I never expect that to happen either. MindArk talked about it a lot and they even had an ATM card at one point, but the former was just the usual EU-style PR plug, and the latter a short-lived idea which I don't know ever even allowed anyone to get cash out.

Yes, you can cash out, but how many players do this and how long does it take them to receive their check? MindArk deliberately delays payouts until a period hits where the bank is up.

99% of the time people say "RCE" they mean only the ability to legally cash out - how long it takes doesn't matter as long as you get your money in the end, and everyone does. And this ability makes people depo hundreds times more than they'd put in a game otherwise.

Back