New player explosion?

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Wow, been on Arkadia mostly for the last few months and just spent a few days on Caly and where the hell did all the new players come from? Ended up at Icarus and it was a sea of green dots, on closer inspection hundreds of orange jump suits doing starter missions. I was truly shocked by the numbers, it's great for the game. I had noticed MA adverts popping up, it's working!

Good to see MA
Bjorn

Wow, been on Arkadia mostly for the last few months and just spent a few days on Caly and where the hell did all the new players come from? Ended up at Icarus and it was a sea of green dots, on closer inspection hundreds of orange jump suits doing starter missions. I was truly shocked by the numbers, it's great for the game. I had noticed MA adverts popping up, it's working!

Good to see MA
Bjorn

MA going back to the old style of the Auction House :)

Yup lots of new players, can be seen very well from sales of starter items, and semi low armors (Nemesis, Ghost, etc) they sell very fast these days.

Anyways nice sign that sky is not falling.

I had noticed MA adverts popping up, it's working!

Nah, this is called post hoc fallacy. Most of those OJs in Icarus come from a country quite different than yours and speak a different language, hence it's unlikely they saw the same ads.

I have one of those OJs on my FL and, in the unlikely case I ever see him online again, will ask where did he get the idea from.

Nah, this is called post hoc fallacy. Most of those OJs in Icarus come from a country quite different than yours and speak a different language, hence it's unlikely they saw the same ads.

I have one of those OJs on my FL and, in the unlikely case I ever see him online again, will ask where did he get the idea from.
Well, exactly the same ad or not (is that relevant?), I think it's safe to say they have started putting more effort into advertising. And that's how I think Bjorn meant it anyways. I am seeing more Entropia ads than ever before, and I'm from Sweden while Bjorn is from Australia.

Also definitely coming across more OJs ingame lately. Great to see.

These are depositing OJ's and a lot of them are moving up the ladder fast and that is what matters. It does not matter which country they came from or which ad bought them here.

I see growth in the general population of EU which is very much a joy to see.

I want to see growth and explosion somewhere else. In my CLD payouts. :yay:

The next thing is to improve retention of new players, so they stay in game. I hope something is there planned, too.

Reactions: das
I stated in previous posts that EU is a concept that was way ahead of it's time and is finally coming into it's own. I think the increase in new players can be at least partially attributed to that.

I'm guessing the fact that caly finally has a good tutorial and missions and starter packs does count for something :)

You start on genesis island, do some fun missions for 1 hour, get to camp icarus, get more missions, eventually get to nus lull, get sent to port atlantis etc.
You ask people how to get more ammo, what's a good gun and you get directed to the starter packs: good gun, amp, fap and good looking armor (i love pixie but damn it's ugly). If you get the gold pack and decide to keep doing puny iron the ammo will last you 2 months easily if that's all you do. those 2 months you will have probably finished mentoring and have a adj pixie set(which is fine for the next few mobs) and now you're hooked :) In the excitement of beginners you will have told a few friends and gotten them ingame as well.

Nowadays you don't just get thrown into the game blind. You are eased into it and that means higher player retention. Sure, lots will get bored of grinding or will lose ped too fast cause they're impatient but instead of 1 in 20 as in the past you probably have now something like 1 in 5 playing more then 2 weeks :)

Everyone in this post has made valid points and I think all of these things have contributed to a higher number of new players. I concur that Icarus seems very busy lately, but there are other factors to consider. It is deep winter in the northern hemisphere, I live in the UK and our winters are mild, I can take my son outside for bike rides and such like as the temperature is rarely below zero. Put a coat, hat and gloves on and you are warm enough. I have friends in Finland and Cananda where it is so cold at this time of year you cannot go outside, that is when they play EU the most, during the summer months you hardly see them at all. Traditionally the player base is always larger at this time of year.

The global economy seems to be over the worst part of the recession that we have all experienced over the last 7 years, so people the world over have more disposable income. Look at developing markets like China and India where a growing middle class has sufficient money to purchase luxury items such as gaming computers and broadband internet. Ok, so you buy the PC get the broadband so what do you do with it - some will obviously get into gaming.

MA have done a great job developing the marketing and maybe in the past they were concerned about server stability with a large influx of players. Remember last year when they upgraded the servers, perhaps the marketing development was only feasible once they knew that the new servers could handle higher volumes of traffic.

I totally agree as posted earlier in the thread that the starter packs are perfect tool to get new players on board. It's all there UL gun - amp - scope, UL armour that looks cool - FAP and vehicle and enough ammo to keep a new player busy for a couple of months. By the time the ammo from the starter pack is exhausted the new player is either hooked and stays or MA have had $40.00 from them (2/3 of the cost of a console game) and they dont depo and or play again. Either way MA and the player base win.

The starter pack also instills the depo mentality in new players. Sure you can play for free and my current desciple does just that, but lets be honest this game is only really "fun" if you do depo and treat this game as a part of your entertainment budget.

The only down side is that along with all the lovely new players, the increase in awareness of the game is going to attract more ass hats and scammers, we have all seen the increase in scam attempts and "gold farmers" both on this forum and in game, so while I totally welcome the increase in the player base, just a timely reminder, just as in real life, keep your wits about you and if it looks too good too be true then guess what, it probably is.

GL out there to all the Entropians both old and new.

NB - Obviously it does go without saying that this game was very far ahead of its time and it is inevitable that eventually the rest of the gaming world would realise that all other games pale into insignificance compared to EU.

Last edited:
I do not want to disappoint you, but on 13 January 2015, russian portal mail.ru published a list of the most expensive items in the games, including Asteroid and the Atrox egg, and the crowd of young seekers of free money from Russia (10-15 years old) made an attack to our club for strong addicts :laugh:
Russian channel was in shock from the invasion of the giant number of new players and the stupid questions: How to repair the car? How I can play? What to do here? In dozens of times after the publication was increased attendance at my website about the EU. But soon everything will return to normal state, the schoolboys will return to classes at school and we will play as usual. In the best case population of strong addicts will be increased for 1-2% from the ones you've seen in Camp Icarus.

Link to original post: http://games.mail.ru/pc/articles/feat/samye_dorogie_predmety_v_igrah/

With Google translate: https://translate.googleusercontent...igrah/&usg=ALkJrhhT6-rSSIh8sLBFp4q7u3ve3vU9iQ

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Entropians

I read this post and i had to respond. I'm a 1 month noob player. I bought the Gold Pack starter set and Deposited $60. Best investment I've made in an mmo ever!. I intially made an avatar over a year ago but only did the starter missions, i actually was on the last part of it on Arkadia when i decided i didn't like the game. But when i started it at that time i don't believe they had starter packs like they do now(I could be wrong). I was also on a kick about getting a game i could play for free.When most of those games, like this one you could download and play without spending any money but advancing would most likely require a micro transaction of some sort. Nothing struck my interest and alot of the subscription based games you could get to END-GAME fairly quickly and then were bored. I would feel my money was wasted cause here i have a game i bought and paid subscriptions for so many months then all of sudden it just felt like "Been there done that".

My first month i have accomplished alot. I'm lvl 16 sniper hit, I belong to a great society "Synergen". and my Mentor was and is still my best friend ingame. "Aeon Miss Flux". I've completed discipleship. And i had a mission or goal of my own to get all the TPS on ARK and Caly. which i have accomplished. If I'm gonna spend mopney on any game it is going to be this one. I plan on staying here till I die or the game dies, which i don't see happening.

So to all the OG Entropians "Thanks for making my first month a very enjoyable experience, and cheers to all Old and New players alike to years to come in this wonderful game"

Thank you and HOF Big
John Jacob Cofey:yay:

john cofey,

Nice to hear your feedback. But unfortunately here is not too many players like you.

Welcome John, awesome to here some happy positive new player feedback - hope you have a blast here :)

(no pun intended about blowing up & exploding new players! ;))

I've seen some Ads for EU around the net recently. Ad campaign?

Welcome John, awesome to here some happy positive new player feedback - hope you have a blast here :)

You really want to see new players go up in flames with a bang, dont you :laugh:

We need more peeps!!!!!!!!

Leave the blowing up to the pirates :D

I have noticed alot of ads popping up on gamer type sites. Like the Cinemassacre site, for AVGN. Gametrailer.net, etc.

The problem is..they are using a bait & switch method. They are advertising the game..like a typical free to play MMO, and you can just come here, play the game, for free, and still be able to do lots of stuff.
Once many players realize, this is not the case, they bail. So I would say, they are only keeping, at BEST 15 out of every 100 new players.

If they actually sat down, and planned something, for free to players to do, people might stay. Something besides god awful sweating, for 30 hours or more a week. More exploration quests would be nice. Fishing, would be a god send. but. not gonna happen it seems.

I have noticed alot of ads popping up on gamer type sites. Like the Cinemassacre site, for AVGN. Gametrailer.net, etc.

The problem is..they are using a bait & switch method. They are advertising the game..like a typical free to play MMO, and you can just come here, play the game, for free, and still be able to do lots of stuff.
Once many players realize, this is not the case, they bail. So I would say, they are only keeping, at BEST 15 out of every 100 new players.

If they actually sat down, and planned something, for free to players to do, people might stay. Something besides god awful sweating, for 30 hours or more a week. More exploration quests would be nice. Fishing, would be a god send. but. not gonna happen it seems.

Agreed. I think there probably should be more free stuff in the early game.

I have tried entropia twice before. Once when it was still called Project entropia and a few years back. Never had the funding back then and the game had too many rough edges for my taste. Also being atrox bait for my brothers hunting party back in project entropia, isn't what I'd call fun.

Brother got me back into it...who can resist the swirleys!?

Trying to play it smart this time around. So doing monthly deposits and am working my way up the iron mission chain.

Made a fresh start in entropia early january this year. Have so far managed to reach 31 in laser sniper hit, finished 10k shinkiba, foul and last night argonauts. Molisk is next on the list. Tbh it isn't that much fun, since you rarely get anything interesting. But as I said before, I plan on playing smart, so slowly working my way up to the more interesting mobs.

Hope to see you all in game, best of luck to you!

I have tried entropia twice before. Once when it was still called Project entropia and a few years back. Never had the funding back then and the game had too many rough edges for my taste. Also being atrox bait for my brothers hunting party back in project entropia, isn't what I'd call fun.

Brother got me back into it...who can resist the swirleys!?

Trying to play it smart this time around. So doing monthly deposits and am working my way up the iron mission chain.

Made a fresh start in entropia early january this year. Have so far managed to reach 31 in laser sniper hit, finished 10k shinkiba, foul and last night argonauts. Molisk is next on the list. Tbh it isn't that much fun, since you rarely get anything interesting. But as I said before, I plan on playing smart, so slowly working my way up to the more interesting mobs.

Hope to see you all in game, best of luck to you!

wow... that is a lot of progress in 2 months , may i ask what hp lvl did you reach ?

wow... that is a lot of progress in 2 months , may i ask what hp lvl did you reach ?

I am at work now so can't check..but if I remember correctly I am at 106-107 hp so far.

Keep in mind I have basically been focusing on laser carbines/rifles. My Pistol hit is quite low at 19 atm. I have recently gone over to using both carbines/rifles and pistols. But it felt like a good choice to focus on one weapon type until I reached 30ish so I have more choices amongst the L weapons.

I do deposit a decent amount, so I can keep playing and have a flow in ped <--> loot exchange, without having to wait for stuff to sell.

Wormhole to PvP3 anyone :vampire:

Made a fresh start in entropia early january this year. Have so far managed to reach 31 in laser sniper hit, finished 10k shinkiba, foul and last night argonauts. Molisk is next on the list. Tbh it isn't that much fun, since you rarely get anything interesting.

Why Molisk? I hope it isn't just because it's got a mission chain.

I don't mean anything by that but from my perspective isn't it better to hunt mobs without a mission so their loot tables haven't been screwed around with and made boring to cope with the number of players hunting them because of the mission.

I still hunt purely on the basis of what the mob drops and can I sell it for a mu but all I've seen from the mission mobs are adjustment after adjustment to their loot tables to counter the number of people hunting them.

I guess they're thinking that if it's actually fun then the existing players will also do it instead of playing and depositing.

Last edited:
Back