Progress for current skill and weapons

crutch

Old
Society
Freelancer
Having trouble understanding or interpreting weapon selection for current skill level.

Let's say I'm Laser Sniper - Proficient 26 (Hit)

and I want to use an unlimited weapon like Cold-Ir to kill a certain mob.

When looking at the Cold-Ir screen, it displays Professional Requirement for Hit and Dmg:

Recommended level: 0.0
Skill Progress: 100%
Skill Increase Bonus: Never

I realize that the hit, dmg, range and critical Abilities are not maxed.

Also, when right clicking over avatar and and click Progress in the modal window, the Progress Window displays for the equipped Cold-Ir:

Skill Interval Progress: 24%

How would one typically interpret this information?

Maxed at level 100.

Applies to all weapons with "SIB: Never".

The level required to have maxed stats is never displayed. Weapons without SIB are maxed at level 100 as you probably know. Weapons with SIB is usually 5 levels for max stats +1-2 levels for maxed reload speed, but it's not always the same.

The advice is to always use maxed weapons, a cold-ir at level 26 is a ped burning machine. You would be better just using (L) stuff, even with markup it's a lot more efficient.

If you really want to use cold-ir, I wouldn't discount that they have other benefits to the cost. I used non SIB UL up until about 50 levels, cost was high yes, but so was skill gain for the time spent without completely debilitating returns.

IMO, Those skills unlock better SIB gear you can work towards saving for...cost comes back in eco later over longer time...yet sooner. But, I see decay and Eco as skill gain modifiers, and actively look for unlocks as soon as possible if there is any way to gain more skill.

Also I believe the skill level vs the gun level has a modifier, if its maxxed like SIB its lowest skill gain rate.... if its under the max (learning period)...its increased. You then become compelled to buy rarer, higher decay and markup SIB weapons to regain the skill gains you had from learning period. ( which seem to be more in line with static/set/always on gains on UL)

As most old school players can confirm, To counter much higher skill gain back in 2008 or whenever they lowered the skill curve by a drastic margin.

They came out with more eco (L) soon after, in my opinion to counter what seems to be hidden skill modifiers that the UL give (for heavy skillers (the 1%'rs, royalty, warrants and the like) who invested alot), while giving those who were complaining about the often heavier losses (commoners) (L) to make happy, and slow overall skills (which have an economy balance to consider) built in the game over decades.

I may likely be biased, but overall am very happy with my progress (and returns for that matter) and don't regret using NON-SIB UL one bit for so long, it seems anyhow to have its own benefit.

At least something to consider from the other side of the eco coin.....

Last edited:
cold-ir is not a very good example, but Non-sib weaponry can be used as "panic weapons" when you meet a mob that's you cannot kill with your level 26 sib L weapon.

Nice cheap ul non sib weapons that pack more punch than your sib weapons:

gravis range of guns, starkhov guns as 117 upwards, justifier guns, karma killer, ewe ep-40 upwards, omegaton m2975, m2890, m2930 me .

If you really want to use cold-ir.....

Thanks, I think this info is what I'm seeking. I just used cold-ir as example but carry a variety of weapons and I use any looted L weapons as much as possible. Right now I have 5 L weapons of various levels and types as well as 3 UL weapons.

However, returns of higher level looted weapons will never happen if I only hunt at the level that is most economical. Higher level loot in general will never happen if not pushing the envelop or using higher level weapons that are not necessarily economical.

I tend to agree that skills (or the green skill increase messages) appear more often in the message feed, when using weapons outside the eco box.

It is very difficult, and boring after 5 years, to only just use UL weapons that are maxed. Really for me that means Solomate Apollo or similar and popping lower level mobs. Although, I know that the Apollo is a great gun, economical and use it often.

It is very difficult, and boring after 5 years, to only just use UL weapons that are maxed. Really for me that means Solomate Apollo or similar and popping lower level mobs. Although, I know that the Apollo is a great gun, economical and use it often.

Well regarding the Opalo, it is not really eco anymore. A few years back it was the low level weapon of choice, today i would not adise anyone to use it anymore. Anyway there are heaps of cheap alternatives.

Beside that after 5 years of playing you should have maxed a good numbers of weapons which deal okay'ish dps

Some examples:
HL4+A103 34.8dps @ 2.923 dpp ( i chose a cheap amp on purpose ),
Kallous-5 29.7dps @ 2.953 dpp

For Melee there are a lot of cheap options with the Arkadian daggers / swords.

All mentioned weapons are maxed < lvl 20. And you can hunt a good range of mobs with it.

Last edited:
Well regarding the Opalo, it is not really eco anymore...

Okay cool thanks I will look into this further to see if can locate something better for my position.

Back