More suggestions lol next target and spawn areas

LunaMoon

Provider
Lunareth Luna Moon
Lol back with more suggestions. :)

So I am on my second mission chain hunting fouls near fort troy.

The "select next target" function is very useful for these small mobs, however I have noticed that it has a bad habit of what seems tom be randomly targeting mobs, rather than target the mob closest to you. Also if you are being attacked by a few mobs, it still seems to randomly pick the target, so it doesn't necessarily target one of the mobs attack you. Suggestion is the following: Would you kindly do a minor tweak of the "select next target" so it selects closest target instead?

Second thing I have noticed is in the same area. The foul spawn is great, plenty of mobs to go around for everyone. One minor problem though, there doesn't seem to be any "area restrictions" to where mobs spawn, sometimes you can see 20ish mobs stuck inside a tree (and referencing the above mentioned request, the next target still manages to target these mobs but you can't attack them). Would it be possible to make trees and such non spawning areas?

As I said no major things, just some minor tweaks that could enhance the gaming experience.

Its a miracle the game managed to survive for 10+ years without your suggestions.

Now on topic, the select next target is like it is for a reason, like when you hunt in a team you know?, so the team members see what mob to attack next?

And I have never seen 20 fouls stuck in a tree, and I do have the foul mission completed.

Its a miracle the game managed to survive for 10+ years without your suggestions.

Now on topic, the select next target is like it is for a reason, like when you hunt in a team you know?, so the team members see what mob to attack next?

And I have never seen 20 fouls stuck in a tree, and I do have the foul mission completed.

Not really I am sure someone at MA knows what he/she is doing. :cool:

On topic :)

I think you got next target confused with "set team target" or I misunderstood you.

Well I see them all the time and not any major issues, just things that could be sorted.

Select next target is not random selection and works as intended.

When you have no target selected and press it first time - it actually selects closesed target to you.
If you already have something selected it selects next target that is further distnace from your current position than previously selected one. So when mob or you change position it has huge impact on what will be selected next.

Example:
there are 3 mobs and you in one straight line (making it 2D will make the example simpler):
A is 30m behind you
B is 40m in front of you
C is 50m behind you
If you press the function first time - A is selected.
Then you move 20m towards B: curent distances from you and mobs are: A is 50m behind you, B is 20m in front of you, C is 70m behind you.
If you still have A selected and press select next target now - the C mob will be selected now not B because at this moment distance from you and curently selected mob is 50m so it searches for mobs that are farther away from you.

Also - the item you have equiped determines what targets are selectable. I.e. when you equip fap you will only target other avatars (and not mobs).

Falagor
:bandit:

Select next target is not random selection and works as intended.

When you have no target selected and press it first time - it actually selects closesed target to you.
If you already have something selected it selects next target that is further distnace from your current position than previously selected one. So when mob or you change position it has huge impact on what will be selected next.

Example:
there are 3 mobs and you in one straight line (making it 2D will make the example simpler):
A is 30m behind you
B is 40m in front of you
C is 50m behind you
If you press the function first time - A is selected.
Then you move 20m towards B: curent distances from you and mobs are: A is 50m behind you, B is 20m in front of you, C is 70m behind you.
If you still have A selected and press select next target now - the C mob will be selected now not B because at this moment distance from you and curently selected mob is 50m so it searches for mobs that are farther away from you.

Also - the item you have equiped determines what targets are selectable. I.e. when you equip fap you will only target other avatars (and not mobs).

Falagor
:bandit:

Well most of the time it works as you say, but as I mentioned when there are several mobs in melee range attacking you, if you click next target it most usually selects a target further away ignoring the melee targets (with an ranged weapon equipped). Maybe it gets "confused" with too many targets?

I use the "Select next target" hotkey all the time and it works like Falagor said. I often want to select the closest one, just like you want to, and not the next one because if a new mob has spawned closer it will be ignored.

So what I do is click "Alt" (right next to your space bar) to select myself, and then click "Select next target" (I have it on the "TAB" key). The closest one is always selected that way because, apparently, selecting yourself resets the target focus.

Alt > Tab > pew pew pew
Alt > Tab > pew pew pew
Alt > Tab > pew pew pew

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
I use the "Select next target" hotkey all the time and it works like Falagor said. I often want to select the closest one, just like you want to, and not the next one because if a new mob has spawned closer it will be ignored.

So what I do is click "Alt" (right next to your space bar) to select myself, and then click "Select next target" (I have it on the "TAB" key). The closest one is always selected that way because, apparently, selecting yourself resets the target focus.

Alt > Tab > pew pew pew
Alt > Tab > pew pew pew
Alt > Tab > pew pew pew

Hope it helps.

Thanks I'll try that, probably works better than spamming the tab button (my keybind for next target)

Oh btw, sorry about all the suggestion posts, I'm just so excited about this game, having fun.

I'll just lean back and enjoy it now, no more posts I promise!

Oh btw, sorry about all the suggestion posts, I'm just so excited about this game, having fun.

I'll just lean back and enjoy it now, no more posts I promise!
Nothing wrong with suggestions. It seems your learning from them. Maybe instead of suggestions, ask how the next target works as you seem to find it works the way you mentioned. :beerchug:

As for others, how about being a bit nicer to the new people enjoying the game? :yup:

Ty O2, I didn't know that as well, and I've been here since 2006! Mind you I don't use select next target, I pick them on my own! ;)

Nothing wrong with suggestions. It seems your learning from them. Maybe instead of suggestions, ask how the next target works as you seem to find it works the way you mentioned. :beerchug:

As for others, how about being a bit nicer to the new people enjoying the game? :yup:

Ty O2, I didn't know that as well, and I've been here since 2006! Mind you I don't use select next target, I pick them on my own! ;)

Good point, I'll ask first, suggest second next time ;)

Yeah, if you have a target already selected, the "next target" it picks starts from wherever the current target was located, not where it actually is right now.

I think "next target" locks in specific coords, then does basic geometry math to pick next closest target.

So the trick is to "unlock" the target lock.

Looting a mob unlocks it. (because target disappears) So my hunt-by-button system is:
  • Select target
  • Kill
  • Loot
  • Repeat
I'm guessing you are trying to select target, kill, then select next, without looting the dead one yet.

Also, clicking a random place w/ your mouse unlocks it.

However, O2's alt/select self method is really good too. Just keep in mind that if you are trying to target next before you loot a corpse, the corpse may well be the next target selected.

Back