The market value history graphs

Cista

Mature
Deirdre Cista Barimen
Why is it the market value history data in the AH are so erroneous for many items? I am on Calypso, and I guess the market data cover all planets - not sure about that. But Calypso has the most bulky economy as far as I know.

The data seems to be most accurate for ingots and other refined resources, but not always.

For instance, atm. the data say that the markup (MU) for oil was 122% in the last 24 hours, 108% in this week and 106% in tne month. The actual MU for oil right now though is under 102% and has been hovering at 102-104% for months.

Oil was in high demand in the last few days. Only need to look on this forum to explain why. The rest is just averages.

Think you are missing the point.

I have oil for sail at 103% and 104% on Calypso, have had so for weeks. My oil never sells but the stats say the average sell price for the day has been 122%, and 108% for the week.

Edit:- ah i see that may depend on the TT value of the oil you were selling.

Last edited:
For instance, atm. the data say that the markup (MU) for oil was 122% in the last 24 hours, 108% in this week and 106% in tne month. The actual MU for oil right now though is under 102% and has been hovering at 102-104% for months.

This happens because a large part of turnover is auction trolls selling 5 PED or so stacks at 180% or worse.

Simply put, the current auction is good for items but awful for stackables. Not sure how it can be fixed without introducing competing auction houses though.

This happens because a large part of turnover is auction trolls selling 5 PED or so stacks at 180% or worse.
Does each finished auction count for one data point when the daily, weekly averages are calculated? Rather than calculating on the whole mass of goods that have been sold? That would be extremely bad design, as this would make them prone to manipulation of the indices as you say.

Example, if there were three auctions fulfilled today, and
- one auction sold 1 oil @ 140 %
- one auction sold 1 oil @ 130%
- one auction sold 100,000 oil @ 102%

- then the displayed average for oil trade should of course be 102%, and not something over 120%. If this is how they are calculated then, well, oh my god.

Does each finished auction count for one data point when the daily, weekly averages are calculated? Rather than calculating on the whole mass of goods that have been sold? That would be extremely bad design, as this would make them prone to manipulation of the indices as you say.

Example, if there were three auctions fulfilled today, and
- one auction sold 1 oil @ 140 %
- one auction sold 1 oil @ 130%
- one auction sold 100,000 oil @ 102%

- then the displayed average for oil trade should of course be 102%, and not something over 120%. If this is how they are calculated then, well, oh my god.

Well, no need for gods, because it isn't...

Yup nothing wrong with the graph, thats just the average that is paid for oil in given period.

It is calculated like this Total paid/total tt*100% = markup

If you look at the graph for oil for daily you will see different peaks in graph at different mark ups, and if you hover mouse over those peaks it will show how much in total tt has sold for that mark up.

So for example there may be a peak at 200% for oil which shows over week 120 ped say, now this means people listing 1 ped stacks oil @ 200% and 120 sales so far over week ( bear in mind that auction fee for lister will be 0.55 ped). This explains the variance in graph usually.

However if daily mark up overall showing 120% then thats most probably some idiot trying to influence mark up by putting through big stack after time for new day starts in a clumsy attempt to influence mu (stupid as is like farting in wind for high turnover resource like oil etc). These can be seen when you have a peak like an erect penis with crazy tt value on the peak, the graph doesn't update till later in the day so may be why not seen on the graph yet.

Some sell in smaller stacks for better mark up but much slower sales to cater for low end crafter or vehicle user wanting small stack now rather than buying on street (to save time). Smaller sales however incur higher auction fees as % of sale value, and bigger chance of eating auction fee.

Others sell in larger amounts at low mark up to sell quick and keep playing - it is a play style choice.

Also different planets have different resource drops so influencing mark up on that planet, this is how interplanetary traders work shipping mats or collected resources from A-B to maximise return. This can also explain differences in peaks but harder to see, need to actually go through and check listings by planet (also bear in mind other planets except calypso have less sales).

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:

Simply put, the current auction is good for items but awful for stackables. Not sure how it can be fixed without introducing competing auction houses though.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Try selling at 180% for 5 ped stacks.... it won't sell.

There is nothing wrong with AH, is just different markets. Smaller stacks have higher fee as % of tt sale remember, so 1 ped stack of oil say @200% nets 0.45 ped profit after fees. Downside of catering for low end market though is SLOW sales, and bigger chance to eat fees.

Real life is the same wholesale/retail/supplier - wholesale big stacks - retail small stacks - supplier is miner/hunter or whatever (getting/crafting yourself).

Last edited:
What would be even better are graphs for each planet. At the moment people do this, right click current market price, put on auction for that price.

If they are on Arkadia, they shoot themselves in the foot with this.

But i have been asking for different market prices for different planets since they came out, i guess that will never happen.

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: sorry for slightly off topic, just does my head in

What would be even better are graphs for each planet. At the moment people do this, right click current market price, put on auction for that price.

Yes would be nice to be able to set data by planet or all with a drop down box maybe.

Back