probs and skill multiplier

gabrielstone

hello so quick noob miner question. When im mining and getting skill gains to start out, if i am looking for i think its N-matter it costs 1 probe, if i am doing just ore 2 probes and if doing both 3 probes.

My question is are my skill gains the same using 1 probe as it is for using 3 probes? Just curious because for new players it would in which case make much more sense just to use 1 probe and skill up before using more.

The rule is simple: more money - more skills.
If you are looking for different types of resources you get as an increase in the basic skills like Perception, Geology and specific for ore and enmatters, particularly in Prospecting and Surveying

In general, skill gains are based on cost to get them. So the skills that cost 2 probes will be slightly faster to gain than that for 1 probe.

There are large random variations, but on *average* this is how it works.

So if you select both skills, costing 3 probes, then both skills will appear.

As already stated, you will get more skills with more probes dropped, but, in mining especially, I wouldn't worry too much about the skilling side of things at first. You can earn good peds on low depth finds with TT finders, if you do it right.

The key is to get a good feel for your mining rhythm first, by that I mean, what's the right timing and spacing for your drops, where are the best areas for the skills you have (little big mining log http://www.mininglog.com/ is your friend), how are the game's cycles affecting your run (many theories on this but I believe there are personal, server, and global cycles that affect your loot, and they overlap) etc., and crucially when to move on or just stop.

All of that is easier if you focus on one type of drop to start with, probably up to level 10 or thereabouts, after that you may want to expand into other areas like ore and treasure or double/treble drop, but it's all too easy to blow your stack whilst your still learning, if you go there too early.

Back