What colour is this dress?

It was gold and white when I first saw this thread, and now it's black and blue.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

When I first saw this picture (elsewhere) it was a purple blue and brown copper color and I couldn't for the life of me understand how people were seeing white and gold. When I checked out this thread however I was like Alainax made it white and gold! but it very quickly turned back to the the purple blue and copper brown color i had seen before, although the shades appear more faded on the picture in this thread, so it looks a little more like lilac and copper to me here. Looking at the picture from an angle on a mobile device i see black and blue.

Actually if you just quickly click back to the first post and just focus on the text you might see a bit of white and gold in your peripheral vision if you're having trouble seeing it.

Last edited:
I see the damn thing everywhere today but couldn't make it look black and blue even if my life depended on it :duh:

I master the hue test without errors so am pretty sure my eyes are right :)

Last edited:
If you look the whole picture, your brain know it's overexposed and decypher the true colors, hence blue and black.
If you look only the tone of dress, it's color are more white/bronze than blue/black hence perception.
_81291393_newdress.jpg

The true question is why does a crappy photography make a buzz ?
But i know the answer, social media bullshit.

this picture is perfect example.. the left one is white/gold but the right one is clearly black/blue.. i dont see how they can be the same in any way

It was gold and white when I first saw this thread, and now it's black and blue.

BURN THE WITCH!!!

Same here :eyecrazy:

Here we go....

Well here are 2 different colors..LOL

attachment.php

:eyecrazy:

checkerboard.jpg

I still think square A and B being the exact same colour is more weird. :flip:

This could explain how the dress can look different in different light conditions, but not how people see black and blue on the op pic :eyecrazy:

edit: DEAR LORD...

Now I see it. First in the comments under the comment preview and now everywhere. I'd bet Alaina replaced the original pic while I weren't looking if I didn't see the same black and blue in xian's posts.

Mother of god....

checkerboard.jpg

to me they are different but ive tried this in paint before to see that they are same color but i cant just add any tests to this dress to change white to blue and gold to black thats why its fkin up my brains hard

edit: actually i had to make the paints color capture thingie and draw something next to it and the white was more of a light blueish(or greyish) but the gold was still gold

edit: actually i had to make the paints color capture thingie and draw something next to it and the white was more of a light blueish(or greyish) but the gold was still gold

Save the picture and look at it from time to time. When it come, you won't need the Paint :). I was a skeptic only 15 mins ago.

At the moment I see it as strong black and blue even on youtube and can't revert back to white.

Save the picture and look at it from time to time. When it come, you won't need the Paint :). I was a skeptic only 15 mins ago.

At the moment I see it as strong black and blue even on youtube and can't revert back to white.

da fuq.. ive been watching this picture on multible sites and from tablet, phone and computer and it still hasnt changed its colour

checkerboard.jpg

Relax your eyes until you feel like you're just about to go out of focus on everything. Dont stop looking at the image.

You'll see the square the right color, and never be able to unsee it. ;-)

:rofl: looked at OP again now and it's back to white/light blue and gold. Stop messing with my mind and changing photos!

I first saw some talk about a black and blue dress on Instagra, I did not thought about it, but than I saw some other reference to a black and blue dress I started to think.... what the... is going on? :scratch2:

So, what colour is this dress?

The spontaneous answer would be White:ish and gold.

Thinking carefully of it though, it could be the brain thinking a photograph of a White object is likely to get a blue tint, because of the photoflash and digital cameras often favour blue, and the "whitening agent" in detergents (making clothes look whiter by reflecting UV light as blue:ish).

That is, in the context of beeing Indoors, it would appear as white and gold - but the context of the photo would be outdoors, it would had been been blue and (possibly) worn black.

Another thought would be, 50 washes in the past it could have been dark blue and black :laugh:.

A third thing, is while looking at the Picture with three options it does change color; and in that case I Think it's my computer monitor trying to be "smart" and adjusting the color back and forth.

Last edited:

BURN THE WITCH!!!

When I first saw this picture (elsewhere) it was a purple blue and brown copper color and I couldn't for the life of me understand how people were seeing white and gold. When I checked out this thread however I was like Alainax made it white and gold! but it very quickly turned back to the the purple blue and copper brown color i had seen before, although the shades appear more faded on the picture in this thread, so it looks a little more like lilac and copper to me here. Looking at the picture from an angle on a mobile device i see black and blue.

Actually if you just quickly click back to the first post and just focus on the text you might see a bit of white and gold in your peripheral vision if you're having trouble seeing it.

edit: DEAR LORD...

Now I see it. First in the comments under the comment preview and now everywhere. I'd bet Alaina replaced the original pic while I weren't looking if I didn't see the same black and blue in xian's posts.

Mother of god....

:rofl: looked at OP again now and it's back to white/light blue and gold. Stop messing with my mind and changing photos!

Heh, yeah sorry im just messing with yall, swaping the pics ;) :laugh:

No but really, :eyecrazy:
I woke up with positive optimism that I would be able to see white and gold.... I just canny see it!!! :eyecrazy::laugh:

this picture is perfect example.. the left one is white/gold but the right one is clearly black/blue.. i dont see how they can be the same in any way

I see blue/black in both of those!

This is the only way I see white and gold :laugh:

26275a2700000578-2972407-bleach_one_solution_as_to_why_we_all_saw_it_the_wrong_c.jpg

You white golders are all crazy! ;)

I've found that it is now showing as white and gold as I scroll down the picture and goes blue and black as it disappears.

Interesting effect. :)

This morning I see something in the middle :) The dirty-beige is back from the "black", but the other color is blue. Not deep blue as I saw it when last posted, but neither is pure white as I saw it originally.

Ok so was this a trick or is actually the white/gold one blue/black?

Ok so was this a trick or is actually the white/gold one blue/black?

It's really blue black, and no tricks :) Just an optical illusion which means some people see it as gold/white.

( I genuinely haven't changed the pic! )

It's really blue black, and no tricks :) Just an optical illusion which means some people see it as gold/white.

( I genuinely haven't changed the pic! )

No but the one who started this whole thing might just be a troll ;)

I work with paint and color and know a bit about what light can do to different materials. If this is real they prolly had the dress out in the sunshine making it sparkle with different colors. For me the materials in the paint is more interesting, the blue/white area have titanium dioxide with a blue pigment in it and the light cancel the blue pigment. Blue paint is often a bit transparent and needs to be applied several times.

I work with paint and color and know a bit about what light can do to different materials. If this is real they prolly had the dress out in the sunshine making it sparkle with different colors. For me the materials in the paint is more interesting, the blue/white area have titanium dioxide with a blue pigment in it and the light cancel the blue pigment. Blue paint is often a bit transparent and needs to be applied several times.

Just a girl from a Scottish island asking her mates if they liked the blue black dress! :laugh:
The dress is a pretty bog standard bodycon dress, with normal materials. Just somehow the way the camera caught the reflection of the shop lights as it hangs on the rack made it look like something it is not.

All I can see is a blue black dress under artificial shop lights....

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Apparently we are "trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis" :cool: ( which is along the same lines as the shadow picutre Mega put up).

I guess those who are seeing the gold as white, are presuming the dress is under sunlight and discounting the blue.

I work with colour too, and I'm now concerned if a simple dress can spark so much debate over what colour it actually is, then how easy could it be to get completely the wrong colour in a job! Wether the client thought it was something else, or the person doing the job!:eyecrazy:

Imagine someone asked you to design them something in the colour of that dress in the pic... :D

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/explaining-perceptions-dress

Last edited:
Yeah sure some materials look gold from reflected light and look blue with transmitted light but that doesn't explain how a static photo image appears to change color from one moment or person to the next. It's really weird and I wouldn't believe it if i didn't keep seeing it.

ETA looks blue and black to me again now this morning.

PS Well played, bard.

Last edited:
Just a girl from a Scottish island asking her mates if they liked the blue black dress! :laugh:
The dress is a pretty bog standard bodycon dress, with normal materials. Just somehow the way the camera caught the reflection of the shop lights as it hangs on the rack made it look like something it is not.

All I can see is a blue black dress under artificial shop lights....

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

Apparently we are "trying to discount the chromatic bias of the daylight axis" :cool: ( which is along the same lines as the shadow picutre Mega put up).

I guess those who are seeing the gold as white, are presuming the dress is under sunlight and discounting the blue.

I work with colour too, and I'm now concerned if a simple dress can spark so much debate over what colour it actually is, then how easy could it be to get completely the wrong colour in a job! Wether the client thought it was something else, or the person doing the job!:eyecrazy:

Imagine someone asked you to design them something in the colour of that dress in the pic... :D

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/explaining-perceptions-dress

Getting the color wrong is something that happens very often actually. But I just make the paint they order so Im not to blame for that ;)

I can assure you the phenomenon is real. The videos explain it well and the difference is remarkable. I showed this to my girlfriend last night and turned out we saw it in completely different ways.

Anyways, it is fun to see people who changed mind; this puts our brains vulnerability on display. What we see and feel is seen and felt largely due to experience and knowledge, our brains expect something to be represented in a certain way and acts proactively. This can be noticed with things like phantom vibrations where the brain replies to the slightest stimuli of the area around your pocket with a sensation of vibrations. So now when these people know it is supposed to be blue, they automatically adapt to see it as such.

Brains are cool.

...and its gold and white.

ok, did analize it in gimp: the main color of the *black/cold* is : 7d6e47
what is in the pallet of yelow to red collors, but with a black blend. so it looks a bit like gold!

The with is more in a lila pallet to be blend to lighblue.

load the pic in gimp or photoshop, and use the color pipet to see what colors it is.

Last edited:
Back