Unreal Engine 4

Nice.

Just wish the transition between planets and space was seamless in EU. Oh and that space wasn't so tightly bounded.

Oh an a more realistic solar system style space, with planets that actually move in their own orbits and that PvP was only in deep space and certain 'downtown' style areas within the solar system(s).

I don't want much do I :)

Unreal Engine has always been, and still is, my favorite engine. Don't get me wrong, EU looks amazing with Crytek - but EU with Unreal.... that would be something!

I really cannot see that happening... at all... ever.

They put so much into converting to the Crytek engine, the best option they have is an upgrade path through Crytek, unless Crytek go under.

Yup I always preferred Unreal over the latest iD offering back in the early days when those where two of the very few major players, and i followed the new releases and features with interest as i was implementing some of those techniques in class projects etc. However, it goes to show just how far out of touch with more recent iterations i've become when I thought at first glance at the thread title that the video was going to be a demo for a new UE release. :laugh:

Video gaming isn't a little niche market anymore, is it? :eyecrazy:

Well Eu still use old direct x 9 as long windows xp is supported we wont see any changes ,maybe in 5 years we see upgrade. at dx11

Well Eu still use old direct x 9 as long windows xp is supported we wont see any changes ,maybe in 5 years we see upgrade. at dx11

There was a problem with participant drop off back in 2009 when the Unreal engine was introduced. I'm betting there is a major concern with upgrading to DX11.

There was a problem with participant drop off back in 2009 when the Unreal engine was introduced. I'm betting there is a major concern with upgrading to DX11.

well back 2009 very few ppl had dx 11 graf, now 6 year after most ppl have it ( on steam over 77% players got dx 11 graf card )

Unreal Engine has always been, and still is, my favorite engine. Don't get me wrong, EU looks amazing with Crytek - but EU with Unreal.... that would be something!

I do think if MA would use Unreal, it would look exactly the same as yet. No matter they use cryengine or unreal, both engines are verry nice and great, but it looks like what the developers make with it.

I use Torque engine to make my own games, and there where i work, we use also Torque engine, but im sure our game looks better as EU, and Torque engine is not a AAA engine like cryengine is.

well back 2009 very few ppl had dx 11 graf, now 6 year after most ppl have it ( on steam over 77% players got dx 11 graf card )

If you take those figures literally, that is still almost a quarter potential loss of participants. Obviously MindArk has the actual figure.

Plus Unreal Engine 4 just went free forever... so there's that... MindArk guys...

The only payment left now is the 5% royalty fee on revenue, which big game studios can still negotiate.

Would you like to know more?

Plus Unreal Engine 4 just went free forever... so there's that... MindArk guys...

The only payment left now is the 5% royalty fee on revenue, which big game studios can still negotiate.

Would you like to know more?

Free or not free engine, UE4, or some thing other... it always looks what the devs make with it! So the engine not make it look better, when the content is bad developped.

Free or not free engine, UE4, or some thing other... it always looks what the devs make with it! So the engine not make it look better, when the content is bad developped.

But with a good engine they have half the work done... CryEngine looks good but it's awful inside.

Whatever, if the game lasts long enough we will see another engine migration for sure.

But with a good engine they have half the work done... CryEngine looks good but it's awful inside.

Whatever, if the game lasts long enough we will see another engine migration for sure.

let's hope they never change it again, or do we want have an other 5 years to wait to get all our game systems back?
Engine change at a game, is not a easy task!

About game video trailer :

Most of the studios make high resolution cut scenes to show the game, but inside the game it looks not the same about they use there a lower resolution so the fps are well.

Re: DX9, 10 and 11

It's one thing to move to DX11, but CE2 supports DX10 and it's required for support of dual GPU options and more efficient in many things than DX9, so it's a no-brainer to enable/support DX10. Doing so doesn't require deprecating DX9/WinXP (although it would be a good idea to do so given that it's increasingly insecure).

It's too bad they went with an engine that doesn't support OpenGL. That would have made a lot more options possible for the present and the future, regardless of whether linux or any other non-MS PC OS ever has a significant market share. DX is married to Microsoft products and that brings certain limitations.

I thought they'd already had code that used dx10 or dx11 for certain effects.

Remember that the Sony PS4 uses directx.

please remove

Last edited:
please remove

Last edited:
Re: DX9, 10 and 11

It's one thing to move to DX11, but CE2 supports DX10 and it's required for support of dual GPU options and more efficient in many things than DX9, so it's a no-brainer to enable/support DX10. Doing so doesn't require deprecating DX9/WinXP (although it would be a good idea to do so given that it's increasingly insecure).

It's too bad they went with an engine that doesn't support OpenGL. That would have made a lot more options possible for the present and the future, regardless of whether linux or any other non-MS PC OS ever has a significant market share. DX is married to Microsoft products and that brings certain limitations.

what about that ? http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC1/CryENGINE3+SDK+DX11+Features

and that:
http://techgage.com/news/crytek-con...ngine-supports-linux-demo-to-be-shown-at-gdc/

and this is also interesting:
http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/cryengine-3-vs-unreal-engine-4/

edit: oobs, sorry, did some thing wrong , it posted 3 times.

Last edited:
I use Torque engine to make my own games, and there where i work, we use also Torque engine, but im sure our game looks better as EU, and Torque engine is not a AAA engine like cryengine is.

Ah another Torque user! :D, been working with it myself for a number of years now, my personal favourite, great work flow and the code base along with TS makes it very versatile.

Cheers
Zweshi

thanks for bringing this to my attention, it was awesome to check out the engine differences, and yes, i love the unreal engine too. who is responsible for the engine at mindark or at least works with it most of the time, and what is his opinion? i'm eager to know! :ahh:

That is stunning!

Its pretty impressive when you can look at something as mundane as a bathroom or chair and think wow that looks awesome..

Comparing it to the Cry engine vid that was posted elsewhere I'd say I'm leaning towards UE4 in terms of graphic capabilities.

UE4 is a beast to learn.. not sure i realy like it.

example: make a nice water, with sub water and so that the player swim in UE4. You will have a day to implement this, if you be skilled with ue4, about you have to make everything from scratch.

In t3d you only drag and drop the water block, or plain or river, and voila, you have a nice working water with everything it needs.. take some minute to make a nice water. Near same in cry engine.

Also it is a time eater to make nice terrains in Ue4 with all the materials you have to set up.
Ue4 is verry flexible, but far away to be userfriendly and intuitive to learn.

Ue4 is nice for coder, about the blueprints, thats realy cool!
But for level designers it is a time killer.

PS: we changed from t3d to ue4, but i hate to move our game to Ue4 as lead level designer.
We will have ages to redesign our game. It remember me at eu, as it changed to cry2. It is a pain to change from one to an other engine.

UE4 is a beast to learn.. not sure i realy like it.

example: make a nice water, with sub water and so that the player swim in UE4. You will have a day to implement this, if you be skilled with ue4, about you have to make everything from scratch.

In t3d you only drag and drop the water block, or plain or river, and voila, you have a nice working water with everything it needs.. take some minute to make a nice water. Near same in cry engine.

Also it is a time eater to make nice terrains in Ue4 with all the materials you have to set up.
Ue4 is verry flexible, but far away to be userfriendly and intuitive to learn.

Ue4 is nice for coder, about the blueprints, thats realy cool!
But for level designers it is a time killer.

PS: we changed from t3d to ue4, but i hate to move our game to Ue4 as lead level designer.
We will have ages to redesign our game. It remember me at eu, as it changed to cry2. It is a pain to change from one to an other engine.

Similair to my experience but with UDK haven't tried UE4 yet but id imagine its similair, its really a great engine but it feels like it was built for a team of 20-100 people and below that the workload tends to be very harsh.
We had similair discussions on a project im working on but we decided to stay with T3D due to what you describe.

Good luck with UE4, hopefully it works out!

Zweshi

Last edited:
Similair to my experience but with UDK haven't tried UE4 yet but id imagine its similair, its really a great engine but it feels like it was built for a team of 20-100 people and below that the workload tends to be very harsh.
We had a similair discussions on a project im working on but we decided to stay with T3D due to what you describe.

Good luck with UE4, hopefully it works out!

Zweshi

yea, you really need a larger team to handle ue4, or you have ages to see some nice things.

Here some pics of my game developing work in 2015 and 2016.

This pictures are screenshots of my work with Unreal Engine.

Here a 'Inn' and a scene i made for the Game D.O.A., inclouding the interior view of the building.

The next ones are some prototyp stuff i made the last 2 weeks, but could be also a planet for EU :)
The planet in background is called Nirva and the pics are made on one of 2 moons.

I think i start to like Unreal Engine:)

Last edited:
Great looking pix Trance, nice work!

Game Engine Demos doesn't tell all the truth. Never!

Both Cryengine and Unreal are awesome if they have a big dev team company to program in them.

examples of others

Cryengine :
good design and programming but terrible marketing and no clients/players respect at all.

Unreal : good idea and project but terrible security with hordes of exploiters and cheaters.

So if we talking for Game Engines and Entropia, first issue it will be code security and exploits.

Unreal LOST there with hands down by many other game engines and especially from Cryengine :wise:

I think we can live such scenes in Cryengine also with ease if MA decide to expand and invest more in dev's for Entropia.

Last edited:
Back