Bright flashy weapons

KittyLee

Provider
Society
Ubers-In-Traning
Kitten KittyLee Hermes
Bitching on the forum seems the only way to get MA to change anything or give any options. Support cases just gets u a reply about the ULA. So lets see if anyone else has a problem with some of the weapons that have been created that are just to bright and flashy. When MA changed Mind Force i just stopped doing most with it cause of the flashes they added with it. only thing i do with mind force is jump around with my TP chip. then they wanted to add the rocket launchers when they did that i wrote a support case about them just asking for an option to turn weapon graphics off. still haven't been able to get them to turn the graphics off. still haven't skilled with the rocket launchers. now we have planet partners coming out with new weapons that are even worse than MF or rocket launchers such as the Salafa. Is there anyone out there in programing that can explain to me how hard it is to give an option to turn weapon graphics off? my particle quality is already on low. Is there anyone else out there having a problem with these weapons? after 8 years of skilling i would really hate to just have to leave the universe.

I would love to have more options client side on what we see or don't have to see, rather it effects our system performance, is obnoxious or causes health issues. Personal preference and choice would be a great thing to have.

I agree, it is only getting worse, and it seems less and less control is exercised over the pp's gun animations and sounds.

Some of the guns sound so loud even when people are far away from you...and the animations are atrocious.

The rays and lights and annoyances at shared loot are starting to annoy me too.

Also, some mobs are just dizzying to hunt...dire weeds come to mind.

I don't have any medical issues whatsoever, and I still can feel it bothering me, affecting my eyes, even my equilibrium under certain circumstances. I cant imagine how bad it is for someone that is actually susceptible to these lights and flashes.

Also, as Narfi says, purely from a performance standpoint, giving us the option to turn it off would benefit many too.

A simple way to turn off gun animations in the surrounding environment should be easy, and in fact should be immediately implemented given the amount of new stuff that is doing crazy animations. I almost left shared the other day because some guy was using some new raygun next to me, but he stopped before I left.

My tommy gun used to annoy the heck out of people before I sold it (and that was just the sound....now there are new weapons on other planets that have both sound problems AND ridiculously flashy animations).

We aren't asking MA to get rid of it, but give us a way to turn off all the clatter and flashes. I agree.

Last edited:
A simple way to turn off gun animations in the surrounding environment should be easy, and in fact should be immediately implemented given the amount of new stuff that is doing crazy animations. I almost left shared the other day because some guy was using some new raygun next to me, but he stopped before I left.

and that's why u don't see mom and I out at Kong much. never know who is using what. we are very careful about events for the same reason.

Bitching on the forum seems the only way to get MA to change anything or give any options. Support cases just gets u a reply about the ULA. So lets see if anyone else has a problem with some of the weapons that have been created that are just to bright and flashy. When MA changed Mind Force i just stopped doing most with it cause of the flashes they added with

I'd like to have an option to turn eyecandy off, but for it it's more a performance thing, not a Medical one.

- Getting shot at by rockets has Always given me 1 fp/s.

- Cloud effects, like entrances to space stations, practically slows me down to a halt. I have to fly out to the border of the parking zone, aim and then fly with course locked in a straight line to hit the entrance. Thus, I avioid flying into space station unless I really have to. (Other people are annoyed because VTOLs in event areas causes lag - and I Think it's the smoke from the rockets.)

- Thorifoid [shaman] new attacks, with snow Crystals thrown in the face slows me down to a halt if I get attacked by more than one at a time and I'm in a tight spot where I can't zoom out (like corridors in Cyclops Caves).

- Getting teleported back by chalte and then getting two fireballs at my feet stops me enough to make me arrive at revival.

- Turning up "item quality", to see people/items at a longer distance lags me down, becasue then it also turns on rendering grass on the ground and things like that. (There is an option to enable longer views without upping item quality, but it's not availible through ingame settings.)

Heads up: Flashes in Howling Mine

A heads-up: There are flashes (as in electrostatic discharges) from some "ladders" in Howling Mines. The light from those flahes lights up the walls slightly (so the walls flashes also). The flashes are visible with setting Item quality: safe mode.

(It's probably mostly an issue if you plan to hunt nearby, or possibly if you're flying between Toulan and Rocktropia and you get shot down halfways by pirates.)

A heads-up: There are flashes (as in electrostatic discharges) from some "ladders" in Howling Mines. The light from those flahes lights up the walls slightly (so the walls flashes also). The flashes are visible with setting Item quality: safe mode.

(It's probably mostly an issue if you plan to hunt nearby, or possibly if you're flying between Toulan and Rocktropia and you get shot down halfways by pirates.)

Toulan lost hope of getting business from us the first day they opened when we encountered someone with the little TT weapon with a flash so bright, it can be seen halfway across the radar.

I was playing around with a low end calytrek soul the other week, the flashes when hitting a mob close up are insane. Two migraines later I decided I won't be using them again.

I have major problems with dry eyes (along with various other eye issue), for which I had to have a very painful medical procedure a couple of years ago and now have to treat with eye drops daily. The gun flashes are one of the worst things possible for me.

I would love to have an option to make this easier for me, and while they're at it they can bring back the old hit boxes to alleviate my RSI.

I agree the the bright flash weapons are annoying. They are a little more bearable in safe mode, but still annoying/hard on the eyes.

I was playing around with a low end calytrek soul the other week, the flashes when hitting a mob close up are insane. Two migraines later I decided I won't be using them again.

I don't believe we have seen that weapon in the field. This kind of thing is why Kitty is apprehensive about buying new weapons. She doesn't want to pay markup on something that she finds out she can't use. Maybe a list of bright flashy weapons to avoid could help.

I don't believe we have seen that weapon in the field. This kind of thing is why Kitty is apprehensive about buying new weapons. She doesn't want to pay markup on something that she finds out she can't use. Maybe a list of bright flashy weapons to avoid could help.

I usually have about 50-75 different guns on me at anytime...many Kittylee prob hasn't tried for the reason you stated...I would be happy to go through them some time when I am back there and let you or her shoot each one so you can see what is ok and what isn't, and she can add the good ones to her list :)

It would be fun to make a list on this thread too, because I don't think there have been any opther ones addressing this issue...Examples of categories could be:

A) Peaceful
B) Normal
C) Annoying
D) Insane flash and ridiculously flamboyant graphics or sounds that make you want to stab your eyeballs out with a fork.

I usually have about 50-75 different guns on me at anytime...many Kittylee prob hasn't tried for the reason you stated...I would be happy to go through them some time when I am back there and let you or her shoot each one so you can see what is ok and what isn't, and she can add the good ones to her list :)

It would be fun to make a list on this thread too, because I don't think there have been any opther ones addressing this issue...Examples of categories could be:

A) Peaceful
B) Normal
C) Annoying
D) Insane flash and ridiculously flamboyant graphics or sounds that make you want to stab your eyeballs out with a fork.

that would be awesome!! thanks! next time u are on RT and have the time just let me know!

Hmm, I agree with the points made about the weapon graphics but having been a DJ for more years than I care to imagine I am very much into the sounds that some weapons make. I even paid a crafter on RT well over MU to make me a marcato steam punk because I still think it is the most awesome sounding weapon in the game. I also like the sound of the gun that fires green circular pulses (can't remember its name) but I also conceed that its graphics are annoying.

Maybe weapons need better sounds and less graphics

:rocket::dj::sniper:

i agree with kitty , and maybe there is a easy way to turn off the grapic effects from guns =) ? it would be nice if MA would do that

also it would be Handy for mass Events probaly too ?

Have to agree, have spent much time using calytrek spirit, and the flashes bugs the hell out of me, used to turn my head sideways when mobs are up close (whole screen flashes when calytrek hit the mobs standing on your toes)

However, what works for me is messing around with graphicsettings, (brightness, gamma, contrast) and make the game really dark. Acutally, everything looks better this way, but at nighttime (night in game that is) its freaking dark and hard to see.
But, the flash can be reduced with atleast 50% this way.

I also have problems with this :( Before 2005 there was an option to, in first person, not see the gun or the blast. Was wonderful. But then they sadly removed it. I contacted support and the reply I got was this: ”Ok, we are actually considering reimplementing that option, since there is a lot users wishing it back.
/Regards”

As you know, nothing happened with that. I also just want an option to remove the flashes and blasts, so that others can keep them if they want.

Willard Heatray all models
- when in first person are so flashy they freeze all other action for up to 2 seconds. Required to go 3rd person. A more resourceful computer may not have as much of a problem. Will test on better performing machine at some point.

I also have problems with this :( Before 2005 there was an option to, in first person, not see the gun or the blast.

I Think the blasts were different also Before VU10 (or probably, Before Phys-X). Laser weapons did shoot a kind of (straight) laser light (not that annoying). Also, the EWE-17 ME gun had a different color on it's "laser" than other weapons. Back in those Days, you could see if someone aimed a gun at you (because you had laser dots in your back), and you could see the plasma beams shooting through air if someone Was hunting you.

I'll admit, I don't have a lot of experience in dealing with the issue of new weapons and the sounds/animations problems they pose...

I do know that Baringers were notorious for being heard 'round the world', I would assume something along those lines is the issue this thread is aimed at...

sorry, but I think there's bigger issues to address... I get that this is probably an annoyance, but I think there are priorities, and this is not at the top of the list!

It sucks that it seems like issues pile up faster than they can be addressed in this game, and new problems are introduced faster than old ones are fixed! Please stop this cycle of adding problems faster than problems are fixed, that seems obvious, but fixing what's broken is not priority over raking in top dollar, and that's really the biggest problem of them all! :wise:

sorry, but I think there's bigger issues to address... I get that this is probably an annoyance, but I think there are priorities, and this is not at the top of the list!

To some it may be merely an annoyance, but to others it is a serious health-related problem that can prevent them from playing the game and/or aggravate or cause physical or mental illness.

I'm not sure that anything at all should have a higher priority than protecting people's health and making the game accessible to people with disabilities or illnesses.

Yes i also wish mindark would reach out a little further for people with sensible eyes. Turning out weapon flashes would be a good start. I never understood why they removed the option in the first place. Cant be too hard to implement that, maybe along with daylight settings for people that have problems with dark environments.

I hope this topic get some attention

Willard Heatray all models
- when in first person are so flashy they freeze all other action for up to 2 seconds. Required to go 3rd person. A more resourceful computer may not have as much of a problem. Will test on better performing machine at some point.

Interesting. I used one of those a few years ago and didn't notice anything like that.

I have a Mirath rifle that is uncomfortably flashy, although i do like the firing effects otherwise.

When i saw the thread title i thought someone wanted more bling guns, like the (in)famous golden gun. :cool:

To some it may be merely an annoyance, but to others it is a serious health-related problem that can prevent them from playing the game and/or aggravate or cause physical or mental illness.

I'm not sure that anything at all should have a higher priority than protecting people's health and making the game accessible to people with disabilities or illnesses.

Thank you Oleg. That is exactly the point. Kitty's medical condition may be notorious for having issues with video games, but it's been an education to discover there are others with and without medical conditions who are experiencing adverse physical conditions from this problem.

As far as making MA profitable by increasing income, yes it is important. However, one must also consider the 80/20 rule. I am quite surprised by how many veterans are speaking up in this thread. Although retaining new players can help growth, one has to consider that this group of veterans are the regular depositers and active participants who keep the fixed cost bills paid which keeps the company going in order to pursue further profits. Hindering this group from supporting the company through poorly thought out designs or by not providing options to keep the universe user friendly is very detrimental to continued growth.

A) Peaceful
B) Normal
C) Annoying

Would love to see this initiative, but then again it wouldn't be as necessary if MA would provide some of those options to disable. I run around in safe mode or low most of the time, some for performance issues of these type "extras", but mostly because I find the extra crap annoying. Hate that I have to do that, but find it much easier on my eyes/brain. PLEASE listen to your customers here MA!!! Let us disable these gun effects.

Well, maybe if those having a problem write a support case about it, rather than just me (in the event any of you haven't already) we can get a better response from them other than support spitting out the legal notice just to cover their own backside from liability.

I want to thank everyone for their support in this matter! also i have gotten a few offers to go through some guns with some people and am going to work on a list of which guns are ok and which ones might have a problem for some and the worst of the bunch dont touch they will give u a headache. I do want to put a disclaimer out there that this is just going to be my personal opinion on the guns and some that bother me may not bother others.

Back