Old UL item tiering bug

Benny Europe

I decided to work on tiering an S.I. Combat Knife, and in so doing skill up Shortblades among other skills.
I managed to procure a tier 0.0 Knife out of someone's storage and immediately went to work.

The shank's tiers
cWLQBjz.png

I thought I'd work the Puny Challenge for tiers, and headed to Camp Icarus to endeavor the grind.
Tier 0.0 to approximately tier 0.7 took naught more than a few PED per tier at most. Tiers lasted at longest up to an hour each per increment.

During acquisition of tier 0.8, however, timetables changed quite significantly. I continued working at Camp Icarus mobs for over an hour without tier change. Another hour or so, still nothing. I took to forums and took advisement to hunt Kerberos-Young through Old, still no tiering. By this point I had invested over 100PED in repairs while at tier 0.7. I read about how others had also seen tiering issues with UL items, frequently identifying them as "Old Unlimited" items. Many were advised to report similar tiering issues as a bug to MA Support Center.

Thus, I decided to do the same which turned out as follows":
On 2015-03-04 05:49:12 you wrote:
I hav e been levelling an S.I. Combat Knife over some time and have invested beyond 100 peds of repairs while stuck at Tier 0.7. I have read that this is a known bug which is being looked in to. Is there anything which can be done which is known to resolve stuck tiering?
I received this response from Mind Ark Support Rep:
On 2015-03-04 11:03:22 SUPPORT replied:
Hi Benny,

May I ask where you read this?

This is not the case, tiering is not an issue at this moment, however tiering scales and cannot be compared between items or even to earlier levels, the fact that you feel it is stuck means you are most likely close to tiering it.

Kind regards,
Ulf | Entropia Universe Support
I replied with this then closed the Support ticket:
On 2015-03-04 22:40:57 you wrote:
Ulf,

Thank you for your prompt reply. One of the sources I drew tiering information from is entropiauniverse.com's Developer Notes #8. Of course, while it's stated the change will occur in 'steps' over multiple updates with deadline given by May 13 I jumped the gun.

Thanks for your help!

Benny

After being told perhaps that one stubborn and unchanging tier 0.7 may have only needed a few more swipes I jumped back in with Kerberos-Young, Mature, and Olds. Another several hours and 200 PED Knife-repairs later the S.I. Combat Knife is still holding out on tiering.

Further research said tiering is not a respecter of mob value or difficulty and thus came the next 300 PED repairs. I sliced at Argonaut-Young/Scout, Kerberos-Provider/Guardian, Caudatergus-Provider/Guardian, and even Ambulimax-Young and -Mature for days at a time with no change in tier.

I've heard from experienced Entropians of old tier rates, previously taking beyond 8 months per tier. I would understand if tier 0.0-0.7 moved as molasses that gaining 0.8 may follow suit but given the tier progression thus far does this sound pretty standard/normal with the changes as of late?

It's not even to the first tier and already MA is absorbing investment of time and PEDS into their wallet. Any insight is welcome, thanks in advance!

Update

Since posting I've continued tiering attempts in Cyclone Depths.. dagger remains at tier 0.7 after an additional 200 PED later. While I'm told this is possibly a bad case of tier-rolls it would seem 0.7 to 0.8 could not be using the same pair of dice from 0.0 to 0.7.

The joke is that the last tick is always the longest but that mostly has to deal with expectation bias. There was a change for tiering to occur faster and first 4 or 5 tiers go quickly but your knife may be stubborn just because the first tier is very low at 70.

It won't be stuck forever. Just carry on. Not many people tier SI weapons anyway.

to make you feel better, i've cycled over 30k ped and my castorian combat mace mk III is still stuck at tier 5.8 :) The tier rate is 78 at the moment so that plays a huge role in there.. long story short, it's easy to get discouraged but it will eventually tick.. just gota keep swinging that weapon!

ive had weapons that ive cycled well over 100k ped in ammo through it, and not budge for months. then all of a sudden it will tick up several times rapidly, its dynamic. keep at it :) you have a long ways to grow

I tiered alot of stuff in my entropian life, sometimes i could get 2 tier tick in a row or just appart from each other by a bunch of clicks.
Which bring up the question how does this tiering system really works, i feel you buddy when you feel stuck, i have for instance my club stuck at tier 3.7 and had a rifle stuck at 4.8 (that one tier ticked since, it was on a hogglo diablo), using it over and over again doesnt seem to help me either but there is no other known way so far as our understanding of the tiering system is low/poor, so like a close friend of mine would say, hold it tight and keep going :smoke:

Last edited:
The good news is that tier two has rate of 168. :laugh:

Keep at it and let us know how it turns out!

I would be surprised if the mob being hit had any impact on rate of tiering.

The good news is that tier two has rate of 168. :laugh:

Keep at it and let us know how it turns out!

I would be surprised if the mob being hit had any impact on rate of tiering.

Thank you all for the support and information. After expending several hundreds of additional PED dawn broke and I saw the light. Tiered 0.8!:yay:

I am thankful too, it did not occupy more than one month. I really wish MA would list some additional internal measurement, even if it is demonstrating the # of PED and thereby the current % chance to gain a tier. Perhaps if there was a way it would not reveal the frustrating autonomy if the PED blender...https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.png

The joke is that the last tick is always the longest but that mostly has to deal with expectation bias. There was a change for tiering to occur faster and first 4 or 5 tiers go quickly but your knife may be stubborn just because the first tier is very low at 70.

It won't be stuck forever. Just carry on. Not many people tier SI weapons anyway.
Thank you, by the way.

I spend hunting-time shooting expensive guns. It's nice to get a break and actually grind one weapon once in a while. Perhaps tiering this UL awhile I might end up with some eco AH fodder.

to make you feel better, i've cycled over 30k ped and my castorian combat mace mk III is still stuck at tier 5.8 :) The tier rate is 78 at the moment so that plays a huge role in there.. long story short, it's easy to get discouraged but it will eventually tick.. just gota keep swinging that weapon!

:D

I don't dare to count how much went through the mod lr32 before it finally reached 6.9. X.8 is evil! If I'd guess I'd say 50k + whatever Perv put through it. And it is a slow weapon... My Arso chip is getting close to that evil number as well...

Last edited:
I had to spend over 100k before my old 0x0 went from 7.0 - 7.1

I dont think your weapon is bugged.

Back