Longtooth performance test

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
In December and January Planet Calypso held performance stress test events to gather data for improvements to the Entropia Universe platform. Analysis of one part of these datasets has raised a few new hypotheses that needs to be examined further.
In order to investigate these hypotheses we would like to invite you to a new 3 stage Longtooth spawn event on March 10, 2015 at 17.00 - 18.30 UTC. Stage 1 will start at 17.00 UTC, stage 2 at 17.30 UTC and stage 3 at 18.00 UTC. Each stage will spawn the same variants of Longtooths on the same locations.
To give all entropians the chance to see and hunt the magnificent Longtooths, spawns will continue for approximately 24 hours on the locations marked on the attached map.

Limited number of participants.
Each event stage will test different server side configurations and settings. To be able to compare data from the event stages the maximum number of participants on the server hosting the Fort Argus area will be limited during the event. Participants trying to enter the area once it is full may see a “Server full” message during login and may be redirected to another nearby server.
We will monitor a number of parameters very closely and also invite all participants to a review poll on planetcalypsoforum.com after the 3 stages are completed.
We hope you will have time to log in for some fun Longtooth hunting!

A video that shows some intense action around the “Old Fred” Longtooths spawning in the midst of Port Atlantis on one of the previous events is available on the Youtube channel: http://youtu.be/OMwdk5eq9hg

For details about UTC time see http://www.entropiauniverse.com/utc
!

Originally Posted Here

Last edited by a moderator:
In before jaguar spam

Any chance in the future of having one round be at a time that US players could join in?

Cheers!

Anyone there take screenshot or count green dots so we finaly get to know how much players can handle MA server.

Nevermind. Too short.

Anyone there take screenshot or count green dots so we finaly get to know how much players can handle MA server.

Was up to 300 (15 pages of nearby lists) at PA during the last test and it was pretty playable, no crashes for me for the whole 3 hours. Not that huge amount, of course, but still.

Was up to 300 (15 pages of nearby lists) at PA during the last test and it was pretty playable, no crashes for me for the whole 3 hours. Not that huge amount, of course, but still.

On other big games, with similar graphics, how many can they take on a server?

Rgds

Ace

Any chance in the future of having one round be at a time that US players could join in?

Cheers!
Says it will last for 24 hours... Hopefully most will be able to check it out at least. ;)

No clue, EU doesn't leave me time for other games :) But I still remember this:

I miss this, when it seemed like there was a community.

The game is to dam big now !

:)

No clue, EU doesn't leave me time for other games :) But I still remember this:

wat.jpg

A mass event eight hours or so after a VU? Well, well.

(sure, it's a PP content VU but there's still a chance for things to go terribly wrong)

Hmm does that mean the version update scheduled for march 10th doesnt take place ?

I'm guessing that optimizations come with the VU, and they want to test how well it works right away.

Usually they have their hands full with bugfixing and it would be very risky running an event right aftr an version update before knowing if everything works alright.

On other big games, with similar graphics, how many can they take on a server?
The graphics are completely irrelevant.

What can affect performance is physics geometry, but considering how crappy MA does in that department (spawning mobs pre-speared on vegetation f.ex.), I think it's safe to assume it's just a single 64MB (8192x8192) heightmap.

With those parameters/restrictions, I'd say a ten year old CPU could do... perhaps 2000-3000 simultaneous users (worst case scenario, they all moved every frame and required recalculations). A single core of today (and remember, server CPU's have easily 8+ cores) should be able to handle at least 10k users, so a single physical CPU should be able to handle more users than MA have customers.

MA however have other problems, like suboptimal and unreliable communications (server-to-server) and too slow database infrastructure and communications.

But for area servers as such - a single CPU socket of today can easily handle all of EU's population. Hands down.

When I played Aion ~2009, we had a battle for the core that was around 1000 v 1000

The engine turns down graphics as needed (must have selected). The server was the limiting factor as always, but the battle/game was playable.

Same with L2 wich is much older - is old like EU.
On boss mobs where comunity prepared for weeks or for castle and teritory domination.
There were even more ppl as you mention.
Well befiore L2 started its down path..
Btw old server could handle about 6500 to 8000 players online on same time before you got "Server is full" on loging.

So these platform stress test events are they likely to happen anywhere else in the universe?

Do these events count for the CLD payments?

So if these other servers from pre 2010 on other games can take thousands and thousands of avartars at once, why on earth do MA servers struggle with just a couple of hundred? Seems to be a major flaw somewhere?:confused:

Rgds

Ace

So if these other servers from pre 2010 on other games can take thousands and thousands of avartars at once, why on earth do MA servers struggle with just a couple of hundred? Seems to be a major flaw somewhere?:confused:

Rgds

Ace

Maybe it's time for another platform change? Thinking of one more dedicated to MMO's or maybe even pay a well established company to develop one specifically for Entropia Universe.
My guess is that CryEngine is the fault for the current lag problems. Of course, CryEngine could probably be tweaked to get better results, however, in my opinion it would be better to just start from scratch with a new engine that has the perspective of adding new features to the game.
However, it might be too expensive, but there are a few already built options.

Rgds

Ace

There has always been a problem with too many people on the same server at once. Its probably due to more handshaking between client and server than would normally be expected due to the increased need to prevent exploitation (because of the financial implication that would incur.)

Just a guess.

Maybe it's time for another platform change? Thinking of one more dedicated to MMO's or maybe even pay a well established company to develop one specifically for Entropia Universe.
My guess is that CryEngine is the fault for the current lag problems. Of course, CryEngine could probably be tweaked to get better results, however, in my opinion it would be better to just start from scratch with a new engine that has the perspective of adding new features to the game.
However, it might be too expensive, but there are a few already built options.

I truely do not believe CryEngine is the problem. If I drop all my settings down to the bare minimum my machine will still lag badly when there are too many people around.

There has always been a problem with too many people on the same server at once. Its probably due to more handshaking between client and server than would normally be expected due to the increased need to prevent exploitation (because of the financial implication that would incur.)

Just a guess.

I think this is closer to the truth. Agree CryEngine is not the problem.

I think this is closer to the truth. Agree CryEngine is not the problem.

Not the problem here. CryEngine is the problem on so many other bugs tho....

Thumbs up for a full ocean rendered even on dry land !!!

Rgds

Ace

Part of reason - but only small part is that EU have imense item and texture database compared to other games and most of that is not on our computer but it get downloaded and synchronised each time from servers.

Ah well...

Was at Argus. Twice server was rebooted. Then I get on. Instant DC. Now that I try to log on the population limit is reached which is fine but still a bit annoyings since I came early. Problem is though, all other servers seem to be down....!?

Edit: Ahaa..... It is down for maintenance. Never mind me.

Edit2: Or not...?

Back