Questions on best archiving practices

sibernut

Mature
Society
VTOL Flyers
first cibernut alive
I've just created a scene using 3Ds Max which is saved in a folder along with associated materials and I've also exported the .max file/scene to .3ds, ,obj & .mtl - and so I'm now more or less ready to archive (zip) it all up.
My question is though, should I create a separate zip file for each file type plus associated materials (bitmaps, etc), or is it enough to have everything (.max, .3ds, .obj, .mtl + materials) in just one zip file before sending it.

the question is ...for what purpose this is?

if you asking me personally,
I suggest one single archive with additional info (about.txt for example) for the containing files and the use!
if the size of that file allowing it to do this ofc! mail might be a problem with size

As it's for archival, I'd skip zip and use either 7zip (Free Software) or RAR (proprietary). At least the latter can also include recovery information (allowing a part the file to become bad while still being able to extract all info correctly).

You obviously want to store all used assets in the same archive. Imagine in 10-20 years time going back to this archive, only to find textures or whatever is missing. Wouldn't that piss you off? :)

As for the extra saved data - .3ds etc; do you really need this, or will you be able to re-create it with 100% certainty and precision from the .max file? If so, I see no reason to include this redundant information. Maybe your workflow has a reason, but I see none. Provided this is only for archival purposes.

If you on the other hand are worried that the (completely undocumented AFAIK) version of .max might become unreadable later on, do include multiple formats (.obj, .3ds, .lwo/.lws and possibly .dae), and a text file noting where some information from the original .max might have been lost in conversion.

Still - one single archive file to hold it all.

Last edited:
Total size of uncompressed stuff and total amount of files, please?

the question is ...for what purpose this is?

if you asking me personally,
I suggest one single archive with additional info (about.txt for example) for the containing files and the use!
if the size of that file allowing it to do this ofc! mail might be a problem with size

Well it's for selling 3d models through Turbosquid. I also thought that one zip file containing everything would be ok, but someone on Turbosquid support staff suggested archiving each file conversion (.obj, .3ds, .mtl) plus materials separately - so 1 x zip file for .obj + materils; 1 x zip file for .3ds + materials and so on, hence my confusion here.

As it's for archival, I'd skip zip and use either 7zip (Free Software) or RAR (proprietary). At least the latter can also include recovery information (allowing a part the file to become bad while still being able to extract all info correctly).

You obviously want to store all used assets in the same archive. Imagine in 10-20 years time going back to this archive, only to find textures or whatever is missing. Wouldn't that piss you off? :)

As for the extra saved data - .3ds etc; do you really need this, or will you be able to re-create it with 100% certainty and precision from the .max file? If so, I see no reason to include this redundant information. Maybe your workflow has a reason, but I see none. Provided this is only for archival purposes.

If you on the other hand are worried that the (completely undocumented AFAIK) version of .max might become unreadable later on, do include multiple formats (.obj, .3ds, .lwo/.lws and possibly .dae), and a text file noting where some information from the original .max might have been lost in conversion.

Still - one single archive file to hold it all.

The main reason is so I can compress the files for uploading to Turbosquid, not so much for archiving as I have a back-up folder (normal folder) for each 3ds Max scene anyway.
About storing all assets in the same archive or zip folder, I also thought this, but again, someone from turbosquid support staff was suggesting that I archive each format + materials individually...

On saving to 3ds, etc - yes I need to do this because as I understand it .max files can only be opened with 3ds Max whereas .3ds format can be opened with other progs like maya, etc. Reason for .obj and .mtl formats is that I've been told that potential buyers would expect these formats as matter of course as they allow you to see exactly what materials have been used (.mtl) and the .obj is so that something can be recognised as an 'object' in a mmo, etc - again, as I understand it.

Total size of uncompressed stuff and total amount of files, please?

Total size will o.c vary from one max scene to another as will the total number of files.

Zip it all together for turbosquid. However, for cd or dvd backup do individual files as physical degradation or real world decay can affect the storage device. Better to lose one file on cd due to a scratch vs loosing all of it in a zip

Zip it all together for turbosquid. However, for cd or dvd backup do individual files as physical degradation or real world decay can affect the storage device. Better to lose one file on cd due to a scratch vs loosing all of it in a zip

Thanks mastermesh, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :) Again, I was also erring on one zip folder for everything, as archiving the different formats seemed excessive to me and would also mean multiple uploads to TS not just one, but I totally agree with individual compression for cd/dvd.

Back