Question: What happened to gold?

whiteknut

Elite
Society
Vikings of Calypso
Snablesnot Male Young
Hiya as said in the title: what happened to gold?

It used to be very close to tt junk for ages and then at the end of last year boom the price went up.

Did MA change the droprate?
Did someone buy up all the gold to manipulate the market?
Did some new bp drop that made it being used more than ever?

Any other uses for gold?

I would bet on the second possibility - that someone bought up all the gold and thus making chance of looting it extremely small.
Dont think it can be done? Remember just before taming came how sweetstuff stopped dropping? I am sure it was because of many players buying up all the sweetstuff preparing for price increase (as it was advertised that taming is coming and it was quite safe bet).

So if i am right, Should MA do anything about it, or as it is free market MA shouldnt intervene?
I know gold is still dropping but just drops are all rather small.

Gold drops fairly well, it's just that expectation of upgrades to the space (gold is used to increase SI) coincided with upgrades to certain medical kits that take gold to craft. There might be more factors beyond these two.

Before the reintroduction of taming, sweetstuff hadn't dried up, it was entirely absent.

Gold drops fairly well, it's just that expectation of upgrades to the space (gold is used to increase SI) coincided with upgrades to certain medical kits that take gold to craft. There might be more factors beyond these two.

Before the reintroduction of taming, sweetstuff hadn't dried up, it was entirely absent.

Fairly well? no globals for over a month now. And no it wasnt absent (sweetstuff) it only dropped in very small amounts (you can see that even few globals days before introduction).

But yeah you might be right...

Gold became rare and had MU increase after adj/imp/mod EMT faps were introduced. Drop rate was adjusted also - so there wont be any "oh, shit, gold again!". When I was mining last time ~1.5 months ago, it was rare.

Edit: Gold is used for Emt kit EK-2600, which you need for new faps. Sorry if Im wrong - that is what I have in memory.

Last edited:
Gold became rare and had MU increase after adj/imp/mod EMT faps were introduced. Drop rate was adjusted also - so there wont be any "oh, shit, gold again!". When I was mining last time ~1.5 months ago, it was rare.

Edit: Gold is used for Emt kit EK-2600, which you need for new faps. Sorry if Im wrong - that is what I have in memory.

Ahh yeah ek2600 that will explain a lot...

Thanks thats the answer i was looking for.

Did MA change the droprate?

Well, there is a place on Rocktropia where mining gold with amp went like that:
ample gold, ample gold, considerable gold, ample gold.
Now it is:
ample lyst, ample lyst, considerable lyst, ample lyst

Gold is dropping without amp but I don't know hit rate.

PED is going to collapse and hyper inflation is to follow, everyone buy GOLD. Its the only way for you to keep your wealth when the economy is going to collapse!!! :eyecrazy:

Gold drop rate has gone down significantly resulting in the rise in price. Any able miner can tell you that.

Fairly well? no globals for over a month now.

Well, drop rate in unamped mining is pretty much the same; it however seems amped miners are getting less. So basically any statement is true under certain conditions. :)

Gold has long been size-capped - even when it was ~110%, you'd rarely get bigger than IX unamped; it might well be that the cap has become tighter.

And yet another factor is caldorite crash - gold is a byproduct in several caldorite areas (Arkadian Arctic, parts of southern Amethera) - it's quite plausible those are mined less these days. (Although most of the rise in gold occurred before caldorite crashed.)

It's nothing new, I remember a video from old time miner who said gold is fluctuating in price quite regularly. From TT food to high MU ore.
He used to save few thousands TT of gold and sell it later for better price.

The way I see it, MA changes value of ores directly and indirectly.
Directly: they reduce or increase total number of ores in the economy (rarity).
Indirectly: they introduce new item that needs certain type of ore to craft/upgrade, thus creating big demand for it.
It seems they did both in this case

Back